• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
But why? The PS5 is a complete substitute for PS4, it makes it obsolete. There is nothing the PS4 the PS5 can't do. Instead it should do everything better.
And please don't tell me you don't have a backlog.
As the PS3 was for the ps2 & ps1.
Haha I actually don't. I've played everything I want to play on ps4. Nothing that's coming out since tsushima interests me.

I only buy the games I want and play them then delete them.

I only ever have 1 game at a time installed until its finished. But I aren't interested in the majority of modern games.

Typically when I play old games (mostly dc) I want the experience to be as close to how it was.

Same controller same system etc.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
It better be. Inexcusable if it isn't

Well, PS5 "enhancements" should have been free too. Was really expecting Sony to follow... and yet Spiderman is here : not buyable "alone" and must be bought in every case.
It's not a technical reason, but still, I"ll wait for a confirmation for enhanced backcompat...

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
BC games are more relevant than people want to give credit (Not with the casual crowd, but definitely with the hardcores like us)

I changed from PS to XBOX just because I want to play Virtua Fighter 5 Final Shodown and Panzer Dragoon Orta

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
As cool as all of this is, the fact that this is what they're leading the charge with on the day the embargo lifts on people finally getting hands-on with their new console just bums me out. I want to see what this new toy can do, I really want to see next-gen games most of all, it just feels like a fun but less exciting way to kick this off to me.

What else are they going to lead with over a month before launch?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
On PS4 Pro its just a toggle in the system settings, you turn it on once and you never need to turn it off. No reason to think it will be any different on PS5.

Uh no, there isn't. Fun fact, Yakuza 5 having a PS5 SKU has absolutely nothing to do with BC. When games have next gen versions... it ain't BC.

Sony has two completely separate consoles with completely separate games that are sometimes linked together using an entitlement program.

Xbox One and Xbox Series games on the other hand are functionally the same. Although it isn't mandatory, Microsoft encourages smart delivery and sees it as an extension of their backwards (forwards?) compatibility strategy. Whether Yakuza 5 on next-gen is a "Series X game" or a "One X game with a patch" largely comes down to semantics. That's why it's part of the general back compat discussion.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
GTA IV's performance would have been great news if we hadn't lost a huge chunk of its soundtrack to terrible licensing. I can't imagine playing that game in this state, no matter how smoothly it runs.

www.polygon.com

Grand Theft Auto 4 update removes a long list of songs

Here’s everything that was removed in GTA 4’s update
Isn't this just stuff that plays while you're driving around? I mean it's nice to have but I don't know why people get so worked up over it. 90% of the stuff in these games is on the level of El Sondito to me where I'd rather have the radio off than listen to the music without an option to skip tracks. If you really need the music, can't you just set up a Spotify playlist or something to play in the background?

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Quoting the written article:

" I'm also curious to see how Xbox Series S backwards compatibility will land. If I can't yet find CPU limits in existing games, the chances are I won't be able to find it with Series S either. And from a GPU perspective, while the Series S GPU runs at four teraflops vs the 6TF in One X, it should actually be able to deploy more power at older games. Xbox One X split vertex and pixel shading across its 40 compute units, essentially delivering 3TF of performance - a limit that does not apply to Series X or Series S. "

www.eurogamer.net

Xbox Series X back-compat tested: up to double the performance in the most demanding games

UPDATE: Sometimes, we just can't leave well enough alone. I returned to Xbox Series X to take a look at more Xbox One a…
Hmmmm, how does that work? I'm not following how the 6TF GPU was delivering "only" 3TF of performance?

Is this specific to BC mode for legacy 360 games? If so, that's not really what I'm looking for. I want to know how the Series S will run current-gen games.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
To the average user who only plays a couple of games a year, it adds even more games to choose from, and those games behave just like any other on their system.

We're entering a generation where the new Xbox system has de-facto exclusives like Red Dead Redemption, the Splinter Cell series, and (ironically) almost all of the Metal Gear Solid series. I think acting like BC doesn't matter is more of a talking point than meaningful observation; it only takes one game that someone wants to play for it to immediately matter to any given user.

I'm talking about your average COD and FIFA player. I have people on my list who seemingly never play anything except the same GAAS games, day in day out.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As the PS3 was for the ps2 & ps1.
Haha I actually don't.

I only buy the games I want and play them then delete them.

I only ever have 1 game at a time installed until its finished. But I aren't interested in the majority of modern games.

Typically when I play old games (mostly dc) I want the experience to be as close to how it was.

Same controller same system etc.
Interesting, I wish I could say the same about my backlog.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hmmmm, how does that work? I'm not following how the 6TF GPU was delivering "only" 3TF of performance?

Is this specific to BC mode for legacy 360 games? If so, that's not really what I'm looking for. I want to know how the Series S will run current-gen games.

As far as we know, the Series S will run the One S version of games with improvements in resolution and performance, along with other "Series" Only improvements

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It should come very close.

RDR2 clocks native 4k and a near-locked 30fps on the One X. From the Digital Foundry video, the Series X was routinely running 60fps on One X games that ran 4k 35 fps (see Hitman and Monster Hunter World).

Now, it's possible that it won't run 4k/60 because RDR2 doesn't have unlocked framerates. But if Rockstar makes that an option, I don't see why Series X couldn't run RDR2 at 4k/60 based on the benchmarks we've seen. (Obviously it might dip a bit here and there.)

Like you said, for this to possible, Rockstar would have to uncap the frame-rate.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Right but what I'm trying to find is whether or not this is a global option and not patched on a case by case thing like the 100 games that were tested or whatever.

I don't think there's any info on that, which is fine! But i'd like to know sometime soon Sony pls
I did not take it to mean that those games were patched in any way, just tested as functional.

Official report from Sony would be nice, yes.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
I guess I'll never understand the hype for this stuff. If you told me I could play my favourite games of all time at the highest frame rates and resolution, I wouldn't feel an ounce of hype. I've already played them. Increased resolution and framerate are not going to substantially improve the experience and not enough of a motivator to play the exact same game again instead of investing that time into something new.
Well one reason is that people can play games from the last gen they never got around to, but now with better image and framerate. Its not only about replaying titles you already have. In fact, I'd say the majority of time spent on backwards compatible titles are on first play throughs. Titles like Sekiro are a good example. That was a fairly recent title that many people haven't gotten around to. Now they can play it at a locked 60 fps at highest quality.

There are other titles people play forever, like Monster Hunter. Now they get to play that same title they already play everyday but at locked 60 fps framerates, etc.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is tempting me to try and get a pre-order in asap. But I'm still waiting on a possible Halo Infinite themed console next year before I upgrade.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Xbox One X ran bc games with only half the GPU power instead of 6tf.
We don't know yet how the S will do but CPU limited games will most likely run at the same fps as SeriesX.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about your average COD and FIFA player. I have people on my list who seemingly never play anything except the same GAAS games, day in day out.

Sure, of course your imaginary person that you define as not being into BC... wouldn't be into BC - you invented these persons for the sake of making some overall point. What is your point exactly? It matters a lot for anyone who wants to play a game that they could otherwise only play through BC. And then the enhancement on top of that...

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get it tbh. PS4 Pro did this in 2016. You're going to see PS4 games running with better performance on a PS5 without developer input as well.

What am I missing here?

Xbox is doing it over 4 generations with seamless cloud cross save, System level HDR plus performance enhancements (system level resolultion boost/fps boost) above and beyond the "boost mode" displayed in these videos. Plus these games also are able to take advantage of the system level features such as quick resume.

We still have no idea how any of this works on PS5, what games will work and what system level improvements are there to improve these experiences.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks very impressive. It does seem like there's still some sort of weird bottleneck in some games where it doesn't end up hitting the framerate cap 100% of the time but hopefully that's something they can solve. It will be interesting to see if they are successful in removing the framerate/resolution cap and allow certain games to go up to 4K/120fps.

I will definitely have to wait and see with my own eyeballs how well the auto-HDR works but overall, yeah...I'm glad there's a couple games I'm saving for next-gen.

Believe it or not some people don't want it.

I can guarantee that I will never play a ps4 game on PS5 if I buy one.

I had a fully BC ps3 and put ffxii in for ten minutes and that was it.

I prefer playing on original hardware if I want to play old games.

But saying that this is great for people that are into it and good results.

But a lot of PS3 games had terrible ports and a lot of PS4/XB1 games were choked by their CPUs. Why would you prefer to play on original hardware if you can get better/stable performance on your new console that you were buying anyways?

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France

Not every functionality has to be useful to everyone.
Those people won't care about backcompat, but maybe they will like smart delivery. And if they don't care about backcompat and smart delivery maybe they would like Game Pass, etc...

I think the Xbox team is offering a lot of great possibilities. Not all will appeal to everyone, but it's still interesting to have more "value".

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
As far as we know, the Series S will run the One S version of games with improvements in resolution and performance, along with other "Series" Only improvements
Yeah, that's what I was assuming with my prior post.

But the person I was replying to cited a line from the DF writeup that seemed to suggest otherwise. That at least the Series S might run BC games as-well as the One X.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not sure of the reason for the reply. You are saying exactly what I said. Just with a little bit of added angst.

Every MS console after the OG Xbox has had BC in some form. And remember they moved to a completely new architecture from X86 to PPC and were still able to make improvements to BC OG Xbox games on the 360. MS didn't just learn BC, they have been refining it for generations.
Sony got to BC mainly by adding the previous hardware into the PS2 and PS3.
I am not questioning MS approach, I am saying we should remember how it started- Playstation had BC by conscious decision. How they were implementing and how they approached designing next machine is a different story - as I described , in a disastrous way not caring about anything but tying developers with some exotic choices that were forcing exclusivity for PS first and foremost.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Xbox One X ran bc games with only half the GPU power instead of 6tf.
We don't know yet how the S will do but CPU limited games will most likely run at the same fps as SeriesX.
Got it. So the Series S will run legacy 360 games (like GTA IV) better than the Series X, but not current-gen XB1X games.

Makes sense.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
It is that "upgraded my RADEON 470 to a 6000 series feeling" you get in PC, only for consoles. Which incidentally, it is EXACTLY what the One X does.

I am really loving this. PC-like old game improvements, but hassle free, on console.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
With MS putting this much care into backward and forward compatibility is starting to get really hard to justify ever buying a multi platform game for me on PlayStation. PlayStation still makes some of my favorite ip but damn I don't know how much money I want to throw at the platform anymore, hopefully they wow us with ps4 stuff on ps5 too and make a commitment to future compatibility.

They really have to start working on figuring out ps1 to ps3. At minimum ps1 and 2 should be in there, there's no more room for excuses.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jealous as fuck of Microsoft's work. I just hope they can expand the selection (or just have a basic mode that runs everything without downloading but no "enhancements"). How does it currently work on Xbox One X, can you stick the disc in, download the full game emulated (with the disc just being an authenticator), can you then take the console offline and continue to play it?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Looks very impressive. It does seem like there's still some sort of weird bottleneck in some games where it doesn't end up hitting the framerate cap 100% of the time but hopefully that's something they can solve. It will be interesting to see if they are successful in removing the framerate/resolution cap and allow certain games to go up to 4K/120fps.

I will definitely have to wait and see with my own eyeballs how well the auto-HDR works but overall, yeah...I'm glad there's a couple games I'm saving for next-gen.

But a lot of PS3 games had terrible ports and a lot of PS4/XB1 games were choked by their CPUs. Why would you prefer to play on original hardware if you can get better/stable performance on your new console that you were buying anyways?
Chances are I won't ever play them again as I've played them recently.

But when I do I want it to be exact performance never bothered me in fact I dislike most 60fps games as the controls feel too loose like the character is skating across the game world.

For example I played mgs v on ps3 as I felt the movement felt as weighty as a character of that physique sound feel where as on ps4 (only played gz on ps4) it felt like i was controlling a figure skater.

I'm weird I know that.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Great work by Richard and the team. I don't know if it's been discussed but why did the scene with the velociraptor like monster in Monster Hunter World, seemed to be a different colour on Series X, compared to One X?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Sure, of course your imaginary person that you define as not being into BC... wouldn't be into BC - you invented these persons for the sake of making some overall point. What is your point exactly? It matters a lot for anyone who wants to play a game that they could otherwise only play through BC. And then the enhancement on top of that...

I sense some passive aggression in this comment. Maybe try follow my discussion next time.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Not every functionality has to be useful to everyone.
Those people won't care about backcompat, but maybe they will like smart delivery. And if they don't care about backcompat and smart delivery maybe they would like Game Pass, etc...

I think the Xbox team is offering a lot of great possibilities. Not all will appeal to everyone, but it's still interesting to have more "value".
I agree.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Based on the hitman 2 example, 12.155 TF GCN gets beat by 9.2tf RDNA1 handily. Xsx would need 650+GB/s bandwidth to beat the RX 5700 XT when running the CUs in BC mode. Hope that more devs can patch their games to make full use of Navi.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I'm getting the Xbox this time around. With plenty of games I haven't played from this generation and Gamepass is going to have tons of games to play and those games will be performing better than ever before. This is especially interesting as the start of generations generally has very little new and interesting games to play.

I'll probably get the PS5 eventually. But funnily enough, there seems to be a whole lot more interesting stuff to play on the Xbox in comparison to the PS5 even though there aren't any worthwhile launch titles.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Impressive results! And I hope more BC titles get added and will have fully optimized Series X support. We should be in for a treat.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just stuff that plays while you're driving around? I mean it's nice to have but I don't know why people get so worked up over it. 90% of the stuff in these games is on the level of El Sondito to me where I'd rather have the radio off than listen to the music without an option to skip tracks. If you really need the music, can't you just set up a Spotify playlist or something to play in the background?

I mean, to me I listen to every single radio station in the GTA games, and listen to every single song. Part of the fun is finding all kinds of new stuff whether it's popular stuff you just never listened to before or obscure stuff. If you don't really care about music or have really really narrow tastes then sure.

Spotify and playlists don't work as different car types have different station preferences which is part of the fun. And then you lose the commercials and other things.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
How do you know this? We don't even know if PS5 will increase BC title performance at all on many titles.
Because that comes from the fact how these improvements are delivered. They are delivered by consciously programming the game to push for highest resolution/framerate hardware supports, not coding res and framerate into the game. These games were developed allowing for dynamic resolutions, and that's how they deliver improvements on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. It's gonna be the same on PS5 (for these games)

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I sense some passive aggression in this comment. Maybe try follow my discussion next time.

Nice ad hominem. Maybe realize that you don't have some almighty insight to "the average" player than anyone else, especially compared to the people who actually made the feature in the first place. They didn't make it because no one wants it... They have data that you don't. All my FIFA and CoD bros are stoked about it *shrugs*

I am not questioning MS approach, I am saying we should remember how it started- Playstation had BC by conscious decision. How they were implementing and how they approached designing next machine is a different story - as I described , in a disastrous way not caring about anything but tying developers with some exotic choices that were forcing exclusivity for PS first and foremost.

Right. As opposed to Microsoft just magically unconsciously deciding to include BC. What are you even talking about...? Who did it at launch? Who did it first? Because Nintendo and others have Sony beat there, too. Because of their commitment to improving their software, Microsoft now has the best BC in history outside of PC. Who care if Sony did it "better" 20 years ago lmao

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Was No Man's Sky tested post-patch? The upgrade there alone is almost worth it. NMS is never consistent in any mode.

Also, holy shit at @ GTAIV. Almost makes me want to fire that up again. Can you still buy the DLC? Never played it.

Oct 25, 2017

COD players care about BC. Black ops 2 was a best seller on NPD once it became BC:

It seems that all of that pent up demand for Call of Duty: Black Ops II on Xbox backward compatibility paid off for Activision. For the month of April, the same month that it was added to the backward compatible list, Call of Duty: Black Ops II amazingly managed to come in as the tenth best selling game in North America, according to the latest numbers from NPD Group. Not too shabby for a game that came out five years ago.

www.windowscentral.com

Backward compatible boost makes Call of Duty: Black Ops II the 10th best selling game of April

It seems that all of that pent up demand for Call of Duty: Black Ops II on Xbox backward compatibility paid off for Activision, with the game cracking the top ten best selling games ...