• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Respawn Entertainment's Jedi Fallen Order is an excellent amalgamation of Uncharted, Dark Souls and Metroid Prime - and while we should be celebrating a great game, there's no doubt that the launch has been marred by freezing issues and other tech problems. So which version - or versions - delivers Respawn's vision with the minimal of technical problems? John and Rich clue you in.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Previous Xbox Only Tech Analysis:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the guy claiming the Pro's performance mode ran at 60fps? lol.

This game looks really buggy on base consoles and performs pretty poorly.

summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

- Various factors (internal/external hdd, health of hdd) also seemingly cause the many stutters people are encountering.
- Sleep mode not recommended with the game.

- PS4 Pro Quality: 1260p w/ dynamic scaling, can drop to 1080p or below.
- XBX version also employs dynamic scaling but because of Unreal TAA upscale it's hard to pick.
- PS4 Pro Performance: Can drop below 900p to 1080p.
- PS4 Pro AA and SSR aren't as strong as XBX.
- Distant LoD's also pop up closer on Pro.

- Base PS4: 900p w/ dynamic scaling. ~720p to ~900p range.

- The I/O stutters present on Base XBO also present in base PS4 and rarely in Pro as well.
- In demanding sections, Pro holds up well. Base PS4 holds up between XBO and PS4 Pro.
- Same 'world disappearing' issue in one specific area happens on both base XBO and PS4. However PS4 loads faster.

- Xbox X with external drive can cause same pauses and stutters as the other consoles.
- DF recommends playing from a local drive.

- Normal Frame rate: PS4 Pro Quality mode holds up 30 FPS all the time outside some I/O stutter and very rare slowdowns similar to XBX.
- Pro Performance Mode: X and Pro are very similar, either can have minor advantage on per-scene basis. Otherwise very similar.
- Performance Mode not recommended because of wild variation in frame rates.
- This (Fallen Order) does run better than any of From Software's current gen games (SHOTS FIRED !)

- Base PS4 runs at 30 FPS, drops more frames than Pro but runs better than XBS. Not too bad but not stable.

- XBX has slightly sharper visuals, subtle enhancements in some effects otherwise either Pro/X are the recommended versions over Base.

- HDR is a "really good implementation" though not as good as Gears 5.

- The core game is good but the polish is not there.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The note about external drives are a bit off-putting.

However, my Pro is connected with an external USB SSD .. so guessing (hoping ?) it bodes better for me.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I did not think the game was stopping this bad while loading in those areas, on pc ssd it's more like a hiccup. In the digital foundry video, it's really bad :o

Oct 25, 2017
True about From Software on consoles, but at least on PC they've been excellent since Dark Souls II. I've seen some issues with the PC version of Jedi that are a bit surprising.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I ended up going with PC. I experienced no notable technical issues, it loaded quickly and ran smooth as butter on the highest settings (I have a 2080). I only experienced one glitch.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I've been playing quality mode on PS4 Pro for about 10 hours, its very smooth, definitely the way to go.

I know a lot of folk turn off motion blur immediately due to stigma rather than actual issues, but it really seems to help here. If you can, give it a shot

May 13, 2018
I'm on base PS4. I got to Kashyyyk last night and had to stop playing. Frame rate constantly drops. I've had the game freeze to load a few times within a couple of minutes. Before this planet I had it freeze for about half a second in a tomb. Now it freezes for a minimum of 4 seconds at a time. Textures not loading correctly. It's just a mess right now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on base PS4. I got to Kashyyyk last night and had to stop playing. Frame rate constantly drops. I've had the game freeze to load a few times within a couple of minutes. Before this planet I had it freeze for about half a second in a tomb. Now it freezes for a minimum of 4 seconds at a time. Textures not loading correctly. It's just a mess right now.

Is it just me or does performance seem to get worse the longer you play? The game was really stable for me early on, but when I progressed the story it started getting worse and worse. Dathomir's frame rate is TERRIBLE, and even going back to older planets now the game seems to run worse.

Oct 27, 2017
I will be there sometime today I think, so I'll report back what happens to me. Zeffo was much much better for me that the tutorial planet.

As far as seconds-long pauses go, base PS4 I still get them occasionally in AC Odyssey, most likely an asset streaming thing. Never resolved in patches.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You know the generation is struggling when a base ps4 is hitting 720p.

Imagine if the pro and x didn't come out. People would be screwing lol

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The note about external drives are a bit off-putting.

However, my Pro is connected with an external USB SSD .. so guessing (hoping ?) it bodes better for me.
That bit in the video confused me. Dark1x mentioned plugging in a slow external drive and then seeing a loading pause on the X. But what of you have an external that's not slow? I thought I remembered hearing a good external drive on the Pro could see a small improvement on loading compared to the interval drive.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Back on NeoGAF I had predicted that this would happen, most definitely for XB1 and at times for PS4. Things could have been stuck at those resolutions if it wasn't for the proliferation of dynamic resolution solution.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Either a patch to resolve some of the isseus is planned or betetr wait for next-gen to get this game patched (hopefully). No wonder the initial recommandation for this game on PC was 32 GB RAM and high end stuff.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

This is probably the first game that I think probably would not have released in this state if Pro and X hadn't come out (though, I didn't follow Control extremely closely). I just can't see a game being released that has frequent 5+ second freezes on all console platforms, even if there is pressure from imminent movie release marketing synergy.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video is 21 minutes long? I'm all for in depth analysis but can someone give me a TLDR on which system I should get this on?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
With the loading issues and uncapped performance modes, I think this is a game I'll save for the PS5.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Shame, this is a really great game but it clearly could have used a few more months in the oven.

I guess that is what happens when you have a publisher like EA screaming down your neck.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Shame, this is a really great game but it clearly could have used a few more months in the oven.

I guess that is what happens when you have a publisher like EA screaming down your neck.

Yep, it would have definitely been a classic if they let it fully bake. Hopefully they can at least patch out a lot of the performance issues.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
this is so strange. i have been playing the ps4pro in resolution (30fps) mode and i have a ton of framerate issues. in combat, when simply walking around, there are always some short pauses and the typical framerate issues on-top. it does not run like in the video (99% 30 fps). during some combat sections, the dips can be pretty extreme.

my console should be fine, since i have no issues while playing death stranding.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Is it just me or does performance seem to get worse the longer you play? The game was really stable for me early on, but when I progressed the story it started getting worse and worse. Dathomir's frame rate is TERRIBLE, and even going back to older planets now the game seems to run worse.
Kinda how I feel. I'm on the Xbox One X with a external SSD. The stutters and hitches are getting worse.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Where's the guy claiming the Pro's performance mode ran at 60fps? lol.

This game looks really buggy on base consoles and performs pretty poorly.

the game unfortunately also performs poorly on the Pro, stuttering and hitching is prevalent throughout the whole game with a few areas better than others

I recently. Put an SSD in my Pro as well and hoping that helps with the I/O thing

SSD doesn´t help with this

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
I doubt the stalls are just File I/O related btw. Obviously a weak HDD compounds the problem but the troubles here likely go deeper.

I'll just say there is a recent thread on tech-artist.org that touches on what I would expect to be the actual cause.

Last edited: