Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
From reading the article it sounds like the Pro and X are identical, save for resolution and average frame rate in the 60fps mode. So, what about the other effects?
All of these things appear to be in both versions. Textures are identical, I know, and I couldn't see any noticeable visual difference in shadows or reflections. If there is, it's super ultra subtle.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Another reason to recommend the 60fps mode on both machines.

Weird, DF specifically recommends not to use performance mode on PS4 Pro because of the inconsistent performance. I guess everyone has a different tolerance for variable frame rates though. It's good that the input lag is improved with the framerate mode though. As someone who played Rise at launch and could definitely feel the input lag - I still reckon I'd take that over inconsistent/stuttering performance personally.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Since I am a PRO owner, considering the video I would go with 4K30 fps, but man those 60fps on Rise were so sweet.

Gonna have to give performance mode a try.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm genuinely shocked about the res mode on pro version. Same assets of the X with vsync considered the less powerful hardware. It's the magic touch of Nixxes again?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, DF specifically recommends not to use performance mode on PS4 Pro because of the inconsistent performance.
That's because John is not a fan of how variable frame rates look, even when they are north of 50FPS on average. However, the input latency is Rise was halved on PS4Pro when played in performance mode, and from the sounds of it, it's going to be the same thing here. It made the game so much easier to play in some scenes when I was playing Rise. Hell, even when halved, we are still talking about 120-140ms latency in 60FPS mode, which is what you get in many 30FPS games. In Shadow, in 30FPS mode, you get 250ms latency on Xbox (and I'm sure it's the same on PS4) in 30FPS modes. That's kind of insane for an action game where you're supposed to aim at things.

Last edited:

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Pro is checkerboard, so it's actually a even bigger difference.

When i commented that, it wasn't confirmed what was the on Pro and X1X ( native, checkerboard or dynamic ). At 1st i was native on both

Looks amazing on the X

OP needs to fix description pro uses reconstruction for its res and isn't nearly 60fps at 1080p

Neither is X1X locked 60fps. Looks like OP fixed that. That's good!

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So let's resume: 1800p CBR vs 1080p is a disappointing upgrade and barely noticeable but 2016p vs 1800p it's such an huge difference. I'm confuse. It's not that first time I listened such contradictory stuff on DF analysis. It seems whatever Pro res boost offers over the base is never enough for them.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
So let's resume: 1800p CBR vs 1080p is a disappointing upgrade and barely noticeable but 2016p vs 1800p it's such an huge difference. I'm confuse. It's not that first time I listened such contradictory stuff on DF analysis. It seems whatever Pro res boost offers over the base is never enough for them.

Might be a conspiracy afoot. You should follow the money.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Might be a conspiracy afoot. You should follow the money.
When you heard even occasional fps drops and tearing are absolutely fine just to give the nod to the X for the better sharpness, I don't understand why it wasn't the same when happened on base ps4 and where is finished the tech analysis.... It seems the X needs to have the nod in every single their face off. I though the comparison was about talk tech stuff and not to promote a console.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
???

1800p over 1080p is night and day. It's a huge upgrade. A larger upgrade than 2016p vs 1800p.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
This video is making me consider just getting it on PS4 Pro. Such a minimal resolution increase and the One X has tearing....if RDR2 isn't a more significant improvement on the One X, I might just sell the system...

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
This video is making me consider just getting it on PS4 Pro. Such a minimal resolution increase and the One X has tearing....if RDR2 isn't a more significant improvement on the One X, I might just sell the system...

I wouldn't call it minimal, the video shows the image quality being a lot more crisp. Also on the performance mode, the X holds a much more stable FR. Pro seems decent though.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

When you heard even occasional fps drops and tearing are absolutely fine just to give the nod to the X for the better sharpness, I don't understand why it wasn't the same when happened on base ps4 and where is finished the tech analysis.... It seems the X needs to have the nod in every single their face off. I though the comparison was about talk tech stuff and not to promote a console.

Woof. I got none of this from the video.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Don't be over dramatic now... there are some games with notable improvement on the X.

Oct 30, 2017

I'm really surprised that there's no additional enhancements on the X. It has MS marketing after all. This kind of difference has been the norm though, more or less.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wouldn't call it minimal, the video shows the image quality being a lot more crisp. Also on the performance mode, the X holds a much more stable FR. Pro seems decent though.
Speaking personally, I find preferable the vsync and more stable fps on the Pro than tearing and fps drops in the more demanding scenes just for the glory of more native pixels on the X. But it's my opinion.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought those mixed real-time/pre-rendered cutscenes were so cool in Rise. Shame they're not used here.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This preview did such a better job at getting across how beautiful the game looks than any of the official previews.

I can't wait for the PC analysis! Will Digital Foundry revisit once the RTX cards are officially out?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I thought those mixed real-time/pre-rendered cutscenes were so cool in Rise. Shame they're not used here.

Thinking about it from a comment earlier, I'm wondering if those event effects were a big contributor to the larger file size for Rise compared to Shadow. I overheard that Shadow is only like 24GB

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Oh god no. I hope we move away from pre-rendered cut-scenes as soon as possible in all games. Graphics are good enough now that they aren't necessary, they bloat the size of the game tremendously, and they are fixed in aspect ratio (which sucks for us ultra wide monitor users). On PC version of games they also tend to age so badly. When you go back to a game like say the Batman games which I'm currently doing, the real time game on my PC with all the bells and whistles looks SOOOO much better than those horrible pre-rendered cutscenes.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking personally, I find preferable the vsync and more stable fps on the Pro than tearing and fps drops in the more demanding scenes just for the glory of more native pixels on the X. But it's my opinion.
And hey, that's fine, but the higher resolution mode on X is generally very stable. 95% of the time it's locked where as Pro is locked 98% of the time.

Neither drops often enough to be an issue. Remember - those scenes were selected specifically to highlight issues found across all versions.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it from a comment earlier, I'm wondering if those event effects were a big contributor to the larger file size for Rise compared to Shadow. I overheard that Shadow is only like 24GB

Could be. For Rise I googled around and estimates vary from 18gb to 30gb. I don't know who to trust, lol.

Oh god no. I hope we move away from pre-rendered cut-scenes as soon as possible in all games. Graphics are good enough now that they aren't necessary, they bloat the size of the game tremendously, and they are fixed in aspect ratio (which sucks for us ultra wide monitor users). On PC version of games they also tend to age so badly. When you go back to a game like say the Batman games which I'm currently doing, the real time game on my PC with all the bells and whistles looks SOOOO much better than those horrible pre-rendered cutscenes.

I'm talking about the cutscenes in Rise that pre-rendered liquid forms in cutscenes, like rushing water or the avalanche from early on. Those looked incredible and I don't think you can achieve the same thing from real-time.

John actually talks about in one of their articles for RotTR:
Pre-rendered effects: One of the more interesting techniques we see here in Rise of the Tomb Raider comes from the depiction of fluid dynamics in several key sequences. This is achieved using a unique blend of real-time visuals with pre-rendered effects. The avalanche that occurs early in the game or the water bursting from a temple in Syria use this effect very effectively. The effects are blended so seamlessly that it isn't entirely apparent that we're looking at something pre-rendered. The only real limitation centres on the fact that these effects cannot co-exist easily during sequences in which the player has control.

and you can see it here:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Could be. For Rise I googled around and estimates vary from 18gb to 30gb. I don't know who to trust, lol.
The size is unclear as it seems to vary per install in a significant way. My Xbox One X install of Rise is 51gb which is insane and inconsistent with everyone else. Not sure what's up with that. The PC version is under 25gb for sure.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

I'm talking about the cutscenes in Rise that pre-rendered liquid forms in cutscenes, like rushing water or the avalanche from early on. Those looked incredible and I don't think you can achieve the same thing from real-time.

John actually talks about in one of their articles for RotTR:

Ahhhhhh, my bad.

Yeah I don't see why not, especially for non interactive effects or assets far away from the character. Especially stuff that requires tons of particles to look good. Makes sense.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Day 1 purchase but I'll be waiting to play until my 2080Ti is on a water-block, which should be at some point the week of the 24th. Can't wait to crank the settings and see some of that RTX goodness. I was a fan of the predecessor and that had some amazing moments in terms of visuals.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The size is unclear as it seems to vary per install in a significant way. My Xbox One X install of Rise is 51gb which is insane and inconsistent with everyone else. Not sure what's up with that. The PC version is under 25gb for sure.

That's nuts! I'm wondering if you're forced to keep both the regular Xbox One assets as well as the Xbox One X enhanced assets too. That'd be the only way that file size would make sense.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
When i commented that, it wasn't confirmed what was the on Pro and X1X ( native, checkerboard or dynamic ). At 1st i was native on both

Neither is X1X locked 60fps. Looks like OP fixed that. That's good!
I see. Yeah, had it not been CB on pro the difference would be indeed very small.

That's because 1800cb is a disappointing upgrade, it's on the north of 3 million pixels when 1080p is 2 million pixels. And on top of that there's upscaling from the same proportion xbone has going from 900p to 1080p.

Proportionally speaking the pro performance on this game on a 4k TV is much worse than xbone on a 1080p one.