Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
What a mess (at least right now).

Hopefully they can address most of the issues but not the lack of depth and the bland game design. A solid 6-7 could be a great candidate for PS Plus/Game Pass addition a few months later.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
7 modes ? On consoles ? No thanks...

If I wanted to spend all my gaming time tweeking the graphics options I would have bought a PC.

That reaction seems a bit... hyperbolic. To be fair, you're just setting one mode out of seven, and it'll probably be the one that matches your display. It's not like you're setting the level of anisotropic filtering or the size of the texture cache, or tinkering with .ini files, as you would on a PC title. It's just one toggle and that's it. Hardly "tweaking graphic options".

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
tom.jpg

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There's no problem with options. As a matter of fact, I think the variety of options here is probably the best part of the game's console presentation, it really gives power to players to choose what works best for them. For those who feel overwhelmed, you can just play using whatever the game defaults to and forget about it. Options are never a bad thing. The problem here is that each option is wildly flawed and none of them are really hitting reasonable performance levels.

If Volition can put the work in and improve the performance on consoles across the board, perhaps even by introducing more options in the form of 30 or 40 FPS caps, then we're cooking with gas. As it stands, again, the only issue with the options is that none of them are particularly strong performers relative to their visual features. The game just clearly needs a hefty heaping of optimization work and hopefully it gets that.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is where I am waffling - do I risk the occasional drop out of PS5s VRR? Or do I try this on Series X, which has a bigger VRR window to work with, but even then this video shows sub 40 drops on the X, so again, it would fall outside the window.

Just really unfortunate all the way around here.
Depends on your tv. If you have the Series X set to 120, the floor for VRR is 20fps iirc. Otherwise, at 60hz, it's 40.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
How does the 1440p resolution mode work on ps5 on the current firmware? Isn't official 1440p support still just in the beta firmware?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Why shouldn't people with 1080p TVs be given options too? Not everyone wants to see devs catering solely to the entitled 4K OLED owners.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
How does the 1440p resolution mode work on ps5 on the current firmware? Isn't official 1440p support still just in the beta firmware?

Games have always been able to internally render at whatever resolution they want to like Saints Row is doing here, and then the PS5 would automatically scale that up to 4k to output on your display (and then supersample it down to 1080p if you don't have a 4k display).

All that the new firmware changes is that if the game is both internally rendering at 1440p and the console is connected to a 1440p display then it won't do any additional scaling and will instead output a native 1440p image (or at least that's what it should do in theory).

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the PC. Not enthusiastic about the EGS exclusivity, but it is what it is at this point. I should be able to power through the poor performance, and also really interested to see how it performs one the Steam deck…especially knowing what we know about the console performance.

With any luck it'll be on sale soon. For the record, I'm one of four people on this site who enjoyed Agents of Mayhem, so yeah, I know what I'm getting myself into at this point.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Games have always been able to internally render at whatever resolution they want to like Saints Row is doing here, and then the PS5 would automatically scale that up to 4k to output on your display (and then supersample it down to 1080p if you don't have a 4k display).

All that the new firmware changes is that if the game is both internally rendering at 1440p and the console is connected to a 1440p display then it won't do any additional scaling and will instead output a native 1440p image (or at least that's what it should do in theory).
Ahh, makes more sense.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Appreciate them going over the options. I think the 1440p framerate one might be the one for me based on their recommendations. Think I might have to get this on Series X since my monitor doesn't seem to support VRR with the PS5. VRR support on that display is kind of wonky for me regardless. Sometimes on Series X the option is greyed out for me and then after a restart it comes back, so not sure what's going on there. Maybe if I try fiddling a bit more with in on PS5 I might get it to work. Though otherwise doesn't seem like there's a big difference between the 2 versions.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. WTh best graphicla quality and RTAO is in 1080p only? WTH?
Isn't there a middle mode in 1440p and capped at 30 FPS with max RTAO and max other settings? No way i gonna play in 1080p for better graphics cus those graphcis won't be even noticeable in such res..

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
Does this have a proper day/night cycle where the time of day changes while you free roam around the world?
I disliked the lack of a day/night cycle in the games starting with saints row 3.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
This is the generation of trails and dithering.

And it looks absolutely awful.
Didn't watch the entire video, but it seems like this wasn't even brought up in it? That is a massive visual flaw that is constantly visible when driving even in this compressed youtube video.

Temporal artefacts like that and slow updating RT shadows (visible in the Matrix demo for example) are 2 things that really annoys me in games at the moment.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
My most anticipated next gen visual improvement was always fantastic LoD pushed way the hell out so I stop noticing it. Not a bunch of effects I can't really notice or appreciate without comparison shots. I was hoping cross gens long tail would allow devs to push that slider out without too much fuss, but I keep being disappointed.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
Then just use the default, which you otherwise would have been stuck with anyway. Nobody is forcing you to try all the different modes and there's nothing wrong with options.
And what is the default ? What mode would suit me the most ? I don't want to try them all and going back and forth to test the difference.
Juste give me two well polished modes like "quality" and "performance" so I can quickly try which one is the best for me.

That reaction seems a bit... hyperbolic. To be fair, you're just setting one mode out of seven, and it'll probably be the one that matches your display. It's not like you're setting the level of anisotropic filtering or the size of the texture cache, or tinkering with .ini files, as you would on a PC title. It's just one toggle and that's it. Hardly "tweaking graphic options".
Yeah I agree, it's a bit too much. Perhaps, it's because I'm done with this shit. But man, 7 modes ? SEVEN !
I'm playing on consoles, I want a plug and play expérience. I quit gaming on PC because of the time I spent in menus and settings...
So please leave that away from consoles.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok that's disappointing on all consoles.
I was planning on going PC unless the consoles were great so i guess I will stick with PC.

They need 30fps locked modes like yesterday though. Non VRR with 30-40 fps is hell I wouldn't wish on anyone…

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
And what is the default ? What mode would suit me the most ? I don't want to try them all and going back and forth to test the difference.
Juste give me two well polished modes like "quality" and "performance" so I can quickly try which one is the best for me.
For me it would be which one has the highest framerate 1st and then pick the highest res after it has 60fps or so.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That performance has to be some of the most dissapointing debuts of the gen so far right? Up there with Cyberpunk, and even that was BC for a long time and got a pretty decent native port eventually.

Jun 25, 2022
And it looks absolutely awful.
Didn't watch the entire video, but it seems like this wasn't even brought up in it? That is a massive visual flaw that is constantly visible when driving even in this compressed youtube video.

Temporal artefacts like that and slow updating RT shadows (visible in the Matrix demo for example) are 2 things that really annoys me in games at the moment.
I don't mind ghosting for ray traced effects as the results are usually worth it but I understand when the game has ghosting trails all over for seemingly no reason. That can get annoying pretty quick.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah I agree, it's a bit too much. Perhaps, it's because I'm done with this shit. But man, 7 modes ? SEVEN !
I'm playing on consoles, I want a plug and play expérience. I quit gaming on PC because of the time I spent in menus and settings...
So please leave that away from consoles.

Jesus christ, get over it. Having extra options doesnt in any way change the plug and play experience.

Like complaining about this in a digitalfoundry thread especially? The video exists for the very reason so you can decide which mode is the best for you even before launching the game...

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
1440 + high FPS seems like the way to go with VRR on Series X. Would love Quality but that seems to dip below the VRR threshold frequently.

Iztok

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With so many modes, why not add an option to lock FPS.
Or lock them all, but leave one mode unlocked for future proofing.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus christ, get over it. Having extra options doesnt in any way change the plug and play experience.

Like complaining about this in a digitalfoundry thread especially? The video exists for the very reason so you can decide which mode is the best for you even before launching the game...
Say what you want but more options = less plug and play.
It's more plug, test and play.

And this have nothing to do with digital foundry.

spectrumfox

Oct 27, 2017
California
Man, they really screwed the pooch with this one from a technical standpoint.
All modes have unlocked framerates, none of them can hit a stable 30fps or 60fps...

This went from Day One to First Sale for me real fast.