golem

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like i have to correct this every time. the 2080ti is NOT 13 tflops. it does not run on those clocks. you can watch any youtube video of benchmarks done on that card and its always around 2ghz. not 1.5 where the 13 tflops was calculated. it's a 17.5 tflops card.
Ah interesting. Makes more sense.

Oct 29, 2017
A couple of questions, because I don't know shit about shit:

I have a 1070ti. A 750 Gold Power supply would power this guy right? I also have a 1080p 144hz monitor, and I see myself keeping along those specs, but seemingly this monitor only does 144hz over DVI Dual Link. Do we know if these new cards have DVI Dual Link?

Also if I have a i5-8600k, am I good for a while? I had to replace my motherboard due to failure earlier this year so I don't wanna buy another motherboard...

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Lol no you don't, nvidia doesn't give cheap rates on cards and both Sony and Microsoft have been burned by nvidia. You would of gotten a worse card most likely. Amd doesn't always have the best gpus obviously but their apu tech is solid as hell
I don't think there was anything wrong with the Xbox GPU to say that MS was burned.
The only time Nvidia actually burned anyone was the PS3 with its 7800GT RSX, which Nvidia pushed for despite knowing that unified shader cores and unified memory was the future as they were working on the 8800 series that had that.

The only reason console manufacturers don't go for Nvidia is because for current gen Nvidia didn't have any APU, and they still didn't have anything for next gen. If there is a product that console manufacturers can use then Nvidia will work with them as they did with Switch. Otherwise Nvidia is happy frying other, bigger fish with their super computing and machine learning.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I don't think there was anything wrong with the Xbox GPU to say that MS was burned.
The only time Nvidia actually burned anyone was the PS3 with its 7800GT RSX, which Nvidia pushed for despite knowing that unified shader cores and unified memory was the future as they were working on the 8800 series that had that.

The only reason console manufacturers don't go for Nvidia is because for current gen Nvidia didn't have any APU, and they still didn't have anything for next gen. If there is a product that console manufacturers can use then Nvidia will work with them as they did with Switch. Otherwise Nvidia is happy frying other, bigger fish with their super computing and machine learning.

Xbox was burned, not sure if you remember when the original Xbox All of a sudden stopped being manufactured. It was due to the nvidia deal.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of questions, because I don't know shit about shit:

I have a 1070ti. A 750 Gold Power supply would power this guy right? I also have a 1080p 144hz monitor, and I see myself keeping along those specs, but seemingly this monitor only does 144hz over DVI Dual Link. Do we know if these new cards have DVI Dual Link?

Also if I have a i5-8600k, am I good for a while? I had to replace my motherboard due to failure earlier this year so I don't wanna buy another motherboard...
yes, they said the 3080 needs a 750w power supply. its on their website under requirements.

3070 needs 650w.

that i5 will be fine for the cross gen period, but next gen games will be using the zen 2 8 core 16 thread CPUs at 3.5 ghz. supposedly 1 core is dedicated to the OS, but that means you will need to find a CPU with at least 14 threads to run next gen games. though its possible devs dont fully utilize the cpu next gen either. just wait and see i guess.

Oct 29, 2017
yes, they said the 3080 needs a 750w power supply. its on their website under requirements.

3070 needs 650w.

that i5 will be fine for the cross gen period, but next gen games will be using the zen 2 8 core 16 thread CPUs at 3.5 ghz. supposedly 1 core is dedicated to the OS, but that means you will need to find a CPU with at least 14 threads to run next gen games. though its possible devs dont fully utilize the cpu next gen either. just wait and see i guess.
well at least I have a little bit before I need to think about a rebuild...

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox was burned, not sure if you remember when the original Xbox All of a sudden stopped being manufactured. It was due to the nvidia deal.
Well tbf it was discontinued in 2005, after the 360 came out. For a console that was not really selling well, hardly a burn tbh.
I'd think a burn would be when Nvidia pushed out a shit product with outdated design before it even goes into production, while secretly working on futureproof design, which is what they did with RSX

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Well tbf it was discontinued in 2005, after the 360 came out. For a console that was not really selling well, hardly a burn tbh.
I'd think a burn would be when Nvidia pushed out a shit product with outdated design before it even goes into production, while secretly working on futureproof design, which is what they did with RSX

Or a burn could be nvidia not reducing the cost of the gpu for 4 years causing Microsoft to stop production of a console, which is what happened

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
switch is 0.19 tflops in handheld mode.

i dont think anyone wants a console that weak.

This has nothing to do with power. Quoting myself
You are right, Nvidia doesn't offer APUs. They would have to shop cpu and gpu from different vendors, which would be much more complicated.

On mobile nvidia offers the entire soc, like amd does with apus on the pc side. On PCs nvidia only offers GPUs.

Getting everything from one vendor is super advantageous for console makers.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Or a burn could be nvidia not reducing the cost of the gpu for 4 years causing Microsoft to stop production of a console, which is what happened

These stories of Nvidia seem very unprofessional. What was Nvidia thinking? That they would never need to work with these companies again? Console wise.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
These stories of Nvidia seem very unprofessional. What was Nvidia thinking? That they would never need to work with these companies again? Console wise.
I think back then nvidia didn't give a shit as they were getting big.
2005 was around the time ATI started to show signs of falling behind slowly as the x1900XT was the last time they had a genuine top of the line card that beat everything else on the market.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018

I have no clue but I'm thinking the same might soon happen to switch 2. I have a feeling Nintendo is going to find out that their new successor's processor is going to cost more then they think or want. Remember they kind of fell into a sweet situation because nvidia had a processor that didn't require much tweaking

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Nvidia makes high powered SOCs (an APU is just AMD's term for a SOC with a southbridge) for cars, high powered computing AI platforms etc. They are not focusing on mobile as much any more so Tegra is the only mobile thing they have I believe. Mobile is not a very profitable area, unlike HPC, AI and dGPU.
The Nvidia Orin SOC is a beast for self driving cards with ARM hercules cores, it would be competitive with what's in a PS5 in a similar configuration I expect. They are not targeting consoles because they dont have a good relationship with Sony or Microsoft but they do have the capability and could probably outperform on the graphics side. That's not to say that Sony and Microsoft weren't right to go with an x86-64/AMD platform - it's a potent combo right now.