• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great video!

I think it's kind of disappointing that matching Xbox One X settings on his set-up only gets you around 60-70 FPS.

Just so everyone is clear, if you had to build a computer with those specs from scratch you would be looking at $4000+ CAD easily vs. a $499 Xbox One X. That's just not worth the investment in this games case.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This game is going to be beautiful on pc for years. And my god the One X is a freaking monster
A game with lower setting of the low setting compared to the pc doesn't make me shout "my God what a freaking monster piece of hardware", if I can say.
Great video!

I think it's kind of disappointing that matching Xbox One X settings on his set-up only gets you around 60-70 FPS.

Just so everyone is clear, if you had to build a computer with those specs from scratch you would be looking at $4000+ CAD easily vs. a $499 Xbox One X. That's just not worth investment in this games case.
I'm not Dictator but it seems the classic inaccurate exaggeration everytime we talk about this stuff.

Last edited:

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
haven't installed this yet but i'm hoping those optimized settings can get a locked 60 @ 1440p on a 2070 (looks doubtful though). also beginning to wonder if the PS5/Scarlett version will be able to hit 4K60, which i kind of just took for granted prior to this release.

(that Lemoyne track played throughout the video is one my favorites as well)

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
haven't installed this yet but i'm hoping those optimized settings can get a locked 60 @ 1440p on a 2070 (looks doubtful though). also beginning to wonder if the PS5/Scarlett version will be able to hit 4K60, which i kind of just took for granted prior to this release.

I think that may be doable. I'm doing that with a 2080 at 1440p. It's a more powerful GP but my setting are mostly all above these optimized ones. A 2070 with a little OC should be fine at 1440p.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017

The 5700 XT can run the game at 46 fps average at 4k with everything set to high. So maybe dynamic 4k at slightly better console settings could be possible.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think a game with lower setting of the low setting compared to the pc make shout "freaking monster", if I can say.

I'm not Dictator but it seems the classic exaggeration everytime we talk about this stuff.

I just went to New Egg and selected:
EVGA GeForce GTX 2080 TI $1484 ($90 off regular price)
AMD Ryzen 3900X $709
16Gb G.Skil Trident Z DDR 3200 MHz $119 (same memory I have)
ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Crosshair VII Hero $459 (modern equivalent of the Maximus IX Hero I have)

and the total with tax and shipping was $3,147.51. I also didn't add an NVME drive or even look at a PSU, case, etc. Like I said, if you were to build that computer from scratch you would be looking at $4000 easily.

Oct 30, 2017
A game with lower setting of the low setting compared to the pc doesn't make me shout "my God what a freaking monster piece of hardware", if I can say.

I'm not Dictator but it seems the classic inaccurate exaggeration everytime we talk about this stuff.

So there are a couple of settings that are below the "low" equivalent. Stop exaggerating things. It is an incredibly achievement for a $499 box.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you Dictator - you are truly doing the Lords work here. Super informative, and I always get the impression that you are really excited about sharing your findings with the rest of us. Between this and your Metro Exodus video, you truly are best in class. Speaking of which, you got me to rush out and get my 2080 RTX. When I got it home and played the game it really captured the best of what PC gaming has to offer - being at the threshold of the next generation of visuals. It's what is so magical about playing on a PC.

This video is going to make it so that I can run the game on my 4k HDR TV with a like for like in visual quality at nearly double the fps of my 1X version. All without having to blindly stumble around in the settings, or reading anecdotal advice from people who haven't done the work to truly know what they are talking about.

Again, thank you. Digital Foundry is an asset to everyone playing video games, PC or otherwise.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Really useful to have a chart like this.

ZrwEdoL.png
Why can't we just get info like this for all games?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada

the rtx 2080ti is about $1500cad, and the 3900x is 700. So 2200 for those parts. Add memory, hd, motherboard, case, psu and os, and you are looking at around probably $3k. Its not $4k but its steep.

But you do double performance. So xbox 1 x is 499 on sale. Compared to $3k, it is quite a steal for the performance it dishes out.

Feb 10, 2018
With a 2080ti and a 3900x is what is needed to do 4k 60fps @ X1X settings, one might think 4k 60fps open world games next gen won't be able to look better then rdr2, however remember that to run GTA4 at 1080p 60fps on pc probably requires a gpu at least as powerful as a PS4. And this gen open world games are way better looking then GTA4, however they are 30fps though 🤔

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
the rtx 2080ti is about $1500cad, and the 3900x is 700. So 2200 for those parts. Add memory, hd, motherboard, case, psu and os, and you are looking at around probably $3k. Its not $4k but its steep.

But you do double performance. So xbox 1 x is 499 on sale. Compared to $3k, it is quite a steal for the performance it dishes out.

But the 3900X is not required at all. You can get the same performance with a much cheaper CPU. The GPU is the bottleneck here.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
AMD Ryzen 3900X $709

ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Crosshair VII Hero $459 (modern equivalent of the Maximus IX Hero I have)

and the total with tax and shipping was $3,147.51. I also didn't add an NVME drive or even look at a PSU, case, etc. Like I said, if you were to build that computer from scratch you would be looking at $4000 easily.
The problem with this is that those underlined parts aren't the minimum required to do 4K 60fps at One X settings. Cheaper equivalents will net you similar performance. 2080 Ti has enough headroom to give a completely locked 60fps, as opposed to 25-30fps performance on One X.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't yet picked up RDR 2, but this was an amazing video to watch, major shoutouts to Dictator for all the hard work on this!

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with this is that those underlined parts aren't the minimum required to do 4K 60fps at One X settings. Cheaper equivalents will net you similar performance. 2080 Ti has enough headroom to give a completely locked 60fps, as opposed to 25-30fps performance on One X.

I am just going by the specs he posted in the video and the performance he talked about at the end.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Great video!

Just so everyone is clear, if you had to build a computer with those specs from scratch you would be looking at $4000+ CAD easily vs. a $499 Xbox One X. That's just not worth the investment in this games case.

love how you put the price for pc in CAD to make it bigger then put the xbox price in us dollars. Dont know how the 4 thousand dollars figure apeared, but ok :-D

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
And you'll get it for the cheap price of three 1X's. Admitting that the 1X version is impressive won't make your PC love you any less in the morning, guys.
I don't think anyone called One X version not impressive, this thread is about analyzing optimization of the PC version with One X as the basis of acceptable visual quality, so maybe don't lay your insecurities on others?

Nov 2, 2017
Anyway, Xbone X has 6TFLOPS and runs 30fps with drops. 2080Ti has 13TFLOPS and runs 60fps with reserve for extra settings at the same detail.
That's not how it works though. You really can't compare Tflops like this. A 2080Ti is about 3x faster than a 580, which is close to the X1X's GPU. In theory a 2080Ti should be able to do 90fps at X1X settings on average but this game runs much better on AMD hardware so it won't be able to do so.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

I'm running this game with a 1070 at 1440p and my framerate is a pretty stable ~50 fps. You should be fine with a 2070.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Compared to $3k, it is quite a steal for the performance it dishes out.
Sure, if looking at numbers only.

But the thing is, 60fps is vastly, exponentially more enjoyable than 30. So eventhough the performance might be "only" twice as good, the actual increase of enjoyment is immeasurable. And for me, perfectly worth it.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
AMD Ryzen 3900X $709

I paid $1100 for my 2080ti, 3900x is $500, you don't need a motherboard that expensive to utilize a 2080ti or 3900x.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Sure, if looking at numbers only.

But the thing is, 60fps is vastly, exponentially more enjoyable than 30. So eventhough the performance might be "only" twice as good, the actual increase of enjoyment is immeasurable. And for me, perfectly worth it.

i get what you are saying. but its not immeasurable. my limit was about $2500 cad. Yours is different, but you do have a limit. the limit was whatever you were willing to spend on your pc.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

This made me laugh so much!

You don't need a system of that calibre for either Xb1X performance and fidelity - or even double that!
This is demonstrated in the video, where their overkill test rig well surpasses double performance with greater than Xb1X fidelity.
DF have a separate video showcasing what other systems can achieve at 60fps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUrbciPfX6k
(though there are many more possibilities worth testing for whatever performance level)

And most importantly of all - no one has to be restricted to XB1X fidelity, that's the whole fun of the PC version.
Do what makes sense for your cost / hardware, and the game is capable of scaling.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Dictator great work with the video! I wanted to ask about lighting setting- you say the moon lighting is available on ultra a and not on medium, but is it available on high and just lessened?

edit: just checked- outdoor moonlighting available on high, only lost on medium and below

Last edited:

h00jraq

Mar 21, 2019
Dictator, You are great! Love the video!

Can anyone tell me how big is the difference between XOX 4k and PC 1440p with some sharpenning applied?
I have XOX and can run the game but I'm just afraid to test RDR 2 on PC now because I'm afraid of crashes and other stupid bugs... I have GTX 1080 and I know I can't achieve 50+ fps in 4k even with XOX settings but I think 1440p can be achieved with 50+fps so with FreeSync I can smooth experience.
Any experience runing game on 1080ti in 1440p?

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing video, will really help me figure out what settings to use.

I know we had a thread recently about it, but i really which companies started having graphical presets such as Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4, PS4 Pro.

I asked this in another thread but no one ended up answering, could someone tell me which key is by default bound on the keyboard to go to first person mode ?

Thank you

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
This made me laugh so much!

You don't need a system of that calibre for either Xb1X performance and fidelity - or even double that!
This is demonstrated in the video, where their overkill test rig well surpasses double performance with greater than Xb1X fidelity.
DF have a separate video showcasing what other systems can achieve at 60fps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUrbciPfX6k
(though there are many more possibilities worth testing for whatever performance level)

And most importantly of all - no one has to be restricted to XB1X fidelity, that's the whole fun of the PC version.
Do what makes sense for your cost / hardware, and the game is capable of scaling.

you just need to read my follow up posts.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
sure, so its a $ 2600 pc compared to a 499 console. price to performance still favours console. if price bothered me i wouldnt have a pc though.
The absolute top-end pc components aren't price/performance competitive with a console (or every PC with lower components)?
That's some shocking news.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
how are the keyboard controls broken ?

They are not broken, just stupid. Most directly follow how a console control layout would operate but that doesn't make much sense for menus where scrolling works poorly and you can't select inventory items with the mouse but instead use them the moment you click. It's a very lazy implementation with probably more mappings than a console game controller has buttons.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i get what you are saying. but its not immeasurable. my limit was about $2500 cad. Yours is different, but you do have a limit. the limit was whatever you were willing to spend on your pc.

The enjoyment is immeasurable. Of course the money one is willing to spend is measurable, that's not what I was talking about. For me I have no problem investing in this hobby so get the best possible experience, so I got myself 2080Ti with highend Ryzen. Pro only for exclusives (and I hate how most of them run 30fps, just hate it).

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
no its not. glad you agree.
Why are you building a literal top of the line PC to compare to the X and saying the X is the better value choice? That's the most captain obvious statement you could make. Or you could build a PC with a RX 580 ($150), Ryzen 2600 ($130), B450 mobo($80), 16GB RAM ($50), and be at the same price as the 1X for similar performance (with a much better CPU and more RAM).

Edit: Forgot the HDD, add $80 for a SSHD for best value and you're still within $50 of the price of a 1X.

Edit 2: All prices current and taken from Newegg and in USD.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
according to gamer nexus, the best remedy to the problem is to load the gpu more since RDR2 has the same issue as GTA5 with it's engine frame cap. as long as you're not cpu bound, you won't see stuttering

I actually have 0 problems I was responding to the claim that single thread CPUs are having a hard time, I was trying to be cheeky haha. I think the game really does not like quad core i5s as a friend of mine with an 8600k is flawless running this game while another friend with a 7700 is struggling hard.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Why are you building a literal top of the line PC to compare to the X and saying the X is the better value choice? That's the most captain obvious statement you could make. Or you could build a PC with a RX 580 ($150), Ryzen 2600 ($130), B450 mobo($80), 16GB RAM ($50), and be at the same price as the 1X for similar performance (with a much better CPU and more RAM).

Edit: Forgot the HDD, add $80 for a SSHD for best value and you're still within $50 of the price of a 1X.
Its not worth it explaining to them anymore. For testing all settings in different quality and resolutions which is already a mammoth task in this game, it makes sense to test everything on an enthusiast spec PC to cover all ground and minimize the amount of monotonous work due to bottlenecking. Unfortunately the uneducated few will take that to mean that its the minimum spec you have to have to ensure that level of performance.