• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So for someone who has a Pro and an X, a 1080p display, and a copy for each platform, is the X still the version to go with or are the improvements on the Pro when displaying at 1080p and SSAA off come out with better performance over the X?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So I guess I'm shutting hdr off on my Xbox for the time being. I wish I could do that per game.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work EvilBoris and Digital Foundry on kinda uncovering this. It's disappointing.

That said, I am on record in some of the other threads about this issue having said that I prefer the HDR on despite its "fakeness." Well, I retract that opinion as I had not actually done extensive tweaking and playing around in SDR.

To restate my setup from other threads:

My TV is an LG B7A OLED. I own both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X copies of Red Dead Redemption 2.

Last night I decided to do a bit more of an extended session of play with HDR disabled on my Xbox One X, whereas I had ONLY disabled HDR on the PS4 Pro version before because it is an in-game toggle. If it had not been reported before, I think that the HDR toggle in the PS4 Pro version might not communicate to the LG B7 very well and actually disable HDR, or the TV itself does not accept the HDR disable toggle properly. To expand on that, when I went to try SDR on Xbox One X, I had to disable HDR at the system level as that version of the game lacks an HDR toggle in-game. Doing so actually produced a very, very satisfactory image that seemed to have appropriate contrast and much more vibrant colors. This was NOT my impression when I ran the HDR-off test on PS4 Pro two nights back -- what happens on PS4 Pro is that when I turn it off in-game, the game's image quality immediately becomes extremely dark and dim and largely unbearable, and even maxing out in-game brightness does not yield satisfactory results. My TV does appropriately report that HDR has been toggled off (the HDR logo "fades" in the top right of the screen), but the image quality in general tends to look way darker than any other SDR content I play.

So what I have NOT tried to do yet is try to disable HDR at the system level on the PS4 Pro to prevent any HDR signal to be sent to my TV. I did note that trying to restart RDR2, my HDR logo on the B7 turned "on" as I booted up RDR2 just after the RDR2 boot logo faded, but then the HDR symbol turned "off" (faded) when it started to roll the opening logo sequences. It seemed like the game's initial reaction was to attempt HDR output, even though I had it disabled in game, then when it recognized that my options had it toggled off, it tried to turn it off, albeit unsuccessfully as the entire image still presented in a very dark contrast that was unbearable, completely unlike the SDR result I had gotten on Xbox One X just a little while before.

So when I get home from work tonight, my plan is to disable HDR output at the system level on the PS4 Pro and see if RDR2 actually puts out an SDR image that's generally a match for the SDR output on Xbox One X. The latter is so far my favorite presentation of the game, overriding my previous statement in support of the "fake" HDR -- I theorize that if you're using an LG OLED and see the very dark contrast image when toggling HDR off in the PS4 Pro in-game menu, you'll need to disable HDR output at the system level on PS4 Pro to prevent what appears to be a glitch or TV error. If anyone else has also encountered this issue and already tested this, feel free to let me know -- or test it yourself if you have time!

On the Xbox One X at least, toggling HDR off at the system level does cause RDR2's image quality to improve in-game IMO, and I no longer actually hold the opinion that the fake HDR is still the preferable image output.

Also to note, sorry if this information has already been covered in another thread or in the new video that's in the OP -- I posted this having not yet watched the video. I'll edit a statement in if it's already covered.
restart your game after turning off hdr on x1x. the image yiu are seeing is wrong. its oversaturated and just plain wrong. when you restart your game, the game will look a lot like the hdr image but not as bright.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the script goes out of its way to explain that even in the 4K mode, the Pro's performance is still solid. I think some people have been watching the stress-test videos and imagining it's some kind of mess more frequently, when the opposite is true (even before switching to the 1080p mode).

both X and Pro struggle to hold a smooth 30fps in populated towns and consistently drop below it in 4K. At least in X's case it has the pristine crisp native 4K that makes small drops acceptable whereas the Pro with its blurry broken CB rendering ruining image quality on top of having framedrops is just salt on the wound... running it in 1080p fixes both problems at the moment

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So for someone who has a Pro and an X, a 1080p display, and a copy for each platform, is the X still the version to go with or are the improvements on the Pro when displaying at 1080p and SSAA off come out with better performance over the X?
Do you prefer better IQ or better fps? Then you get your answer.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
- Video goes in comparisons with AC Odyssey's HDR as HDR done right.
screen_shot_2018-08-28_at_9.39.48_am.png

Odyssey HDR is also not great

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
That's what the DF analysis said.

Okay, I didn't watch it yet since I'm trying to go into the game fresh without seeing much of it but won't be able to start until this weekend. I'm trying to decide which version to open. How different is the performance between the two?

Just look at the video. Performance is practically the same on both from what I saw.

I don't want to see anything on the game before I play it.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
uhhhh shit is getting too complicated, i feel like im a pc gamer again :/ how exactly am i supposed to be playing this on PS4 Pro and a 1080p tv? do i turn super sampling off? or on? why?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So with this change, the X has better image quality and the Pro has better performance?
technically yes, but I'd hesitate to say that the performance difference is pronounced enough (or seen commonly enough) to outweigh the difference in image quality, which is always apparent. Either way, you can't really go wrong with either version of the game. RDR2 stays at 30fps during the overwhelming majority of the time on every platform/configuration tested in this video, and stays looking super good doing it.

If we were talking about a God of War-level difference between the 4K and 1080p configs for the Pro version, then I'd advocate for that. However, I think I'd choose the X's substantial image quality improvement over the Pro 1080p config's rare 1-2fps performance improvement.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

I don't have an X, but I imagine that would still be your best bet, since the native 4K supersampled will be a clear upgrade to the native 1080p of the Pro and you'll only be getting slightly worse performance for that much cleaner image.

I got a Pro, and would usually take the higher resolution with some frame drops over a locked 1080p30, but the supersampling option on Red Dead is so poorly implemented that it's hardly an improvement over the native 1080p. In my opinion it looks worse overall actually, minus the hair.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I'm dumb and can't read sentences properly.

BuBu Jenkins was correct, super sampling is disabled completely. For some reason I was looking at an option *TO* disable it.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Okay, I didn't watch it yet since I'm trying to go into the game fresh without seeing much of it but won't be able to start until this weekend. I'm trying to decide which version to open. How different is the performance between the two?
The X drops 1-2 fps in the most taxing scene but it's very rare. Not sure if it can go lower because most of the times DF never goes too far deeper in their stress testing. VGtech channel on youtube is more accurate if you want to check.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Thank you richard for calling out Rockstar on their subpar reconstruction method. So many people giving them a pass, dude, look at other game solutions and its easy to see they can do better!

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i know it's not 4K related, but i'm playing it in 1080p native on a base PS4 through a panasonic plasma, and the IQ is razor sharp

i have now seen it on a Pro, and admittedly there is a softness to it. i mean the guys 4K LED TV is pretty cheap and mediocre to be honest, but still... Pro, 4K, 4K TV, and my base, 1080p, plasma, i feel looks better...

disclaimer; obviously that's not the case for all games

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's lot better looking and running without SS, really pleasure to play, rock solid 30 and look great.

For now, players with 1080p screen and Pro, should turn supersampling of in the PS4 settings.

Last edited:

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
i know it's not 4K related, but i'm playing it in 1080p native on a base PS4 through a panasonic plasma, and the IQ is razor sharp

i have now seen it on a Pro, and admittedly there is a softness to it. i mean the guys 4K LED TV is pretty cheap and mediocre to be honest, but still... Pro, 4K, 4K TV, and my base, 1080p, plasma, i feel looks better...

disclaimer; obviously that's not the case for all games

I'm pretty sure Pro 4K is still the better IQ overall than base on 1080.The image is still going to be cleaner it's just it comes with some unwanted side effects.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's lot better looking and running whitout SS, really pleasure to play, rock solid 30 and look great.

Subjective, also definitely not *a lot* in either case. Please see this post for more SSAA on/off comparisons:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/14433422/

I'm pretty sure Pro 4K is still the better IQ overall than base on 1080.The image is still going to be cleaner it's just it comes with some unwanted side effects.

Pretty much.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Good on DF to make another video clearing up all of the confusion. It's sad to see, and I would have never thought it would happen, that the PS4 Pro utilization of this game is so poor. I wouldn't have bought it had I known. They even had a marketing deal with Sony and sold the game bundled with the PS4 Pro.
Other visually demanding open world games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Far Cry 5, Spider-Man and AC Odyssey show the Pro can bring great image quality to the table if properly utilized. There's really no excuse.

Jimster

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
What the hell are Rockstar doing? Surely this would be a pride thing from the developers and they would know they would get murdered in the press for this?

Oct 27, 2017
Great work on this video, very interesting and informative! I hope some progress can be made over the next month or so.

Even on a base console, I'm used to those one or two scenes in games where the framerate dips in an otherwise smooth performance - so having a scene or two like that on the X wouldn't bother me so much. It's interesting which version is a totally framerate-stable version of the game, though - the 1080P-native-only one.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Pro seems to be locked 30, while X is locked 30 in most areas, but in Saint Denis it can drop an isolated frame here and there. In any of the shown footage it doesn't go below 29, so it's almost locked, but technically it's not. Not a big difference, then, and the IQ difference is significant, as one might expect from SSAA.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use ss on 1080p with my ps4 pro should I turn that shit off then?

Yes, it's broken, the image is soft and framerate can dip sometimes.
Patch can fix it but let's wait and see.

I think that this look absolutely great in Pro without SS, really good looking game.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I personally stopped playing the game and won't continue until it's patched. It's just terrible on the pro at 4k and I'm not going to play at 1080p on a 4k tv.

I stopped after chapter 1 and will only come back if they patch.

You guys do you, but there's no reason to believe the resolution on Pro will be patched, so I'm not sure what the point is. You've already paid for the game, might as well play it.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the pro in that instance is rendering 1/4th the pixels.

Also, the HDR heatmap overlays that Rich uses the in the video ala EvilBoris are fascinating :)
Sure, but I have read posts where people were very annoyed by the framerate drops (even rare) on the XBX version. Technically the game plays best on Pro, not on XBX, so I think it's just fair that people know that, particularly if they only own 1080p TVs.