Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Haven't seen the video, but I SO wish they had shown behind-the-shoulder gameplay. Would've made for a great analysis video.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Just platinumed the first one. I don't think it's much of a looker but I'm used to playing in 4k now so not really a fair comparison. Great to see new environments and it looks much better.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it was all in-engine and there were plenty of engine upgrades over the first game and even Death Stranding to point out.

Maybe if you had watched the video or read the article instead of a low-effort drive-by you would know!

When have these in engine trailers ever been representative of gameplay graphics. I get why people might want to watch it, but it seems no different than doing a tech analysis of a Pixar trailer.

Kinthey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is such a cool detail on the waves breaking. Hope that's also going to show in the gameplay

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
No ray tracing being used is surprising.
Hm, not to me. I think it's unrealistic to expect every feature of the hardware to be used in every game, and ray tracing is expensive as hell. Also have to remember this has been in development for 3-4 years? I wonder when developers actually got their hands on kits that supported ray tracing. Might have also been too late in the development process to add it in or was too expensive with what they've built up to that point.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent analysis Alex. The increase in environmental detail and particularly the vegetation, were definitely my favourite things for the trailer. Now very much looking forward to seeing gameplay. Hopefully see it in August.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I have a small criticism of Alex's videos. He uses too much jargon. It's fine when he demonstrates/explains what he means like with hero lighting and hero props/assets, but then there are phrases like "traditional card based system for the hair" that left me having to look it up. I don't have a problem with looking stuff up on occasion, but there are videos of his which make me feel like I should have taken a mini-course in graphics rendering before watching.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I have a small criticism of Alex's videos. He uses too much jargon. It's fine when he demonstrates/explains what he means like with hero lighting and hero props/assets, but then there are phrases like "traditional card based system for the hair" that left me having to look it up. I don't have a problem with looking stuff up on occasion, but there are videos of his which make me feel like I should have taken a mini-course in graphics rendering before watching.
This is good feedback. Maybe a "Rendering 101" video would help here, just to go over some basic techniques modern games use to get things done that people could reference.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This is good feedback. Maybe a "Rendering 101" video would help here, just to go over some basic techniques modern games use to get things done that people could reference.
Honestly this could be a really good thing for them since not a lot understand whats going on in their videos, Dark1x has this been considered before? Not sure if y'all have already done this.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Such a stunning shot.

fSS32Ch.gif

The underwater sections look beautiful. The lightning adds so much

mLe9huw.gif

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Btw, I think it speaks greatly of the gameplay model because aside from the more refined self shadowing around the eye and insides those rounded extensions of the outer jacket/coat at the deltoid, the slightly higher resolution beard and slightly more notable forehead creases, I cannot discern any other differences:

BD4aRSx.png

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus was by the way a game that already featured really nice and realistic looking rolling waves with sea foam:

46287814855_d232ee4f53_o.png

50058723743_460bdc6625_o.png

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
It's clearly using RT, you don't get those types of reflections and AO without any sort of RT implementation.
Alex doesn't seem to think so.

Horizon Forbidden West doesn't seem to be using ray tracing for reflections in the footage seen so far. Decima-flavour screen-space reflection is used on reflections for distant water, at least. In one of the last shots in the trailer, pterodactyls obscure the terrain in the distance and as a consequence, the reflection beneath lacks that information.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Some Cliff notes:
  • Increased short-range geometric detail
  • Increased mid/long-range detail (LODs and shadow maps)
  • (Implied) increased foliage interactivity
  • Increased cloud animation frequency
  • Increased fluid simulation (crest-breaking water)
  • Modest, subtle character model upgrades (increased geometric detail, lighted facial hair)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding the lighting he saw on the underside of the pelican when it went underwater, could that be bounce light from the sun reflecting off the sea floor?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get over the water simulation. Even if it's baked it's really, really good and dramatically beyond the first game.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Considering H:ZD has zero water physics, one of the biggest visual flaws in the game, I was very happy to see they have included some form of dynamic water simulation.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ssd doesn't change rendering limitations. LOD isn't used because of streaming assets it's more about Lessing the render load.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
RT is going to be quite limited in launch window titles, and limited overall this gen unless there's a breakthrough in doing cheap RT on AMD's side of things. The only way we're going to see a bunch of RT is if games are targeting lower resolutions.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this game will have proper day and night cycle and not like the original were it was transitioning between different prebaked sequences.

Feb 23, 2019
I still can't get over the water simulation. Even if it's baked it's really, really good and dramatically beyond the first game.

Yeah the waves on the shore is incredibly realistic.

On a related note, the underwater scene is some of the best I've witnessed in a game. Most titles don't do underwater very well but this looks perfect.