• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

With Flight Simulator 2020, Microsoft has delivered the first properly next generation experience - but it's demanding in a way we've not seen for many years. So how do you tune for best performance while retaining the lion's share of the next generation visual experience? Alex Battaglia has you covered - but we warned, a hardware upgrade may be required. In fact, even Alex needed one to get closer to a locked 60fps, so thanks to Origin PC for providing the Flight Simulator-themed Core i9 10900K/RTX 2080 Ti setup used in this video.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Anyone else just love watching Digital Foundry videos regardless of their focus/content? I love the composition and their analysis. It's always insightful and entertaining.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, optimised settings won't do it for me :(. Guess, I'll have to try again when they have updated to DX12 and if not, just accept that I'll have to wait a few years to really experience this sim.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Having now played this, all I can say is. Thank God I never got a job as a pilot.

So many lives saved. Unless flying along the ground upside down for miles on end is how it's done these days.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Run at High instead of Ultra.

It sounds like he never saw the kind of stuttering that I'm getting, so it doesn't really help, as I was already running very near his optimized settings.
Thanks, I haven't installed yet. Not sure if there is much point playing on my 570 8GB, it would probably melt.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for this to come to the Series X. Probably won't look as nice as it would on a $2000 gaming rig but that's fine by me.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Well I'm back to a gtx 970 until I get a replacement for my brick, and am excited to see how poorly these settings run! Picking up a hotas today, not gonna let my 5700xt dying bring me down

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very sensitive to frame-rate. I always chase 60 fps whenever possible. BUT.. believe me when I tell you, this sim feels perfectly fine at 30ish.. its super enjoyable and 30 is perfectly reasonable considering the visuals on display.

I'm having a wonderful time exploring on a laptop with a 1070 , an I7-7700HQ and just 12 gigs of RAM!!!!. I get 30 - 40fps on most situations with a mix of High and Ultra Settings in 1080p. I even manage to get volumetric clouds on Ultra and runs super fine and looks AMAZING.

This is a case when you can safely let go the 60fps chase and enjoy (at a more than acceptable framerate) what next gen is all about.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Anyone else just love watching Digital Foundry videos regardless of their focus/content? I love the composition and their analysis. It's always insightful and entertaining.
Absolutely! Never get tired of them. For me personally, outside of some Giantbomb stuff, Digital Foundry is the only other video game (media) content I regularly consume.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

High Preset
16x Anisotropic Filtering
8x8 Texture Supersampling
Ultra Texture Synthesis
High Textures

--

I will say, there's one setting that only shows rain on the cockpit window when in Ultra I think. That one is worth having just for the immersion factor regardless of the performance hit in my opinion.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Heh... once again I'm happy I'm happy with 30 fps in games. I'm overall satisfied with how my game runs at all high settings except for ultra clouds on an HD (don't have 4k) TV with just a 1070 video card :P.

I'm on hold though cause my HOTAS broke and we have a new setup but my husband still has to finish it (a yoke/throttle/rudder pedals and a chair designed to put them all on but he's modifying it to fit us better plus he wants to get it powder coated <- he's a bit of a perfectionist so it takes him a long time to get stuff done but he does it right). And I just refuse to play on a keyboard (especially from a couch). Too awkward. Maybe it will mean the autopilot issues will be fixed by the time I play again (I find those a lot more annoying then how the game runs).

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
12:30 are the recommended settings, but obviously there is a lot more covered. Especially about render scaling.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Is this not a sponsored video?

Weird how Origin is plugged yet no mention of it being an ad anywhere, I don't really care but should probably be transparent about it

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Just recently put together a Ryzen 5 3600X, RTX 2070 build. Excited to finally try this out.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope optimization and DLSS 2 will come to this game, otherwise the PC will just melt into goo whenever they will implement ray tracing.

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
Is it possible to lock this at 30fps with perfect frame pacing? People keep saying how good it feels even a lower frames so perhaps to avoid any framerate lurching and stutter, a good lock to 30 at ultra settings would be better?

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like how the last 2-3 mins is basically a ad for Origin PC's , and also how it's not written anywhere that this is sponsored in some way.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to lock this at 30fps with perfect frame pacing? People keep saying how good it feels even a lower frames so perhaps to avoid any framerate lurching and stutter, a good lock to 30 at ultra settings would be better?

The issue is how wildly varied performance needs are. Flying over a full photogrammetry NYC is going to give you like half the frame rate as flying over the midwest on a clear day.

So, if you optimize to get a rock solid 30fps anywhere, you are going to make 75% of the game look way worse than it needs to be just to maintain the 30fps around the more demanding areas.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'm sure Origin PCs are ecstatic at this "ad" showing that their top-of-the-line ĂĽber-PC can't run Flight Sim at max settings at 60fps...

Even if they supplied the PC for the testing, which I assume they did, that doesn't equate to "sponsoring" the video if there was no actual cash payment made to DF and/or Eurogamer. Look up the definition of sponsored video next time.

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
The issue is how wildly varied performance needs are. Flying over a full photogrammetry NYC is going to give you like half the frame rate as flying over the midwest on a clear day.

So, if you optimize to get a rock solid 30fps anywhere, you are going to make 75% of the game look way worse than it needs to be just to maintain the 30fps around the more demanding areas.

True. I guess I just prefer a consistently low framerare over a higher erratic framerate.

Alghough would a gsync display solve any judder at framerates higher than 30?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see that Origin PC gave Dictator an Intel 10900K based PC for Flight Sim, but gave Jay-Z Two Cents a Ryzen 3950X PC for Flight Sim.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
True. I guess I just prefer a consistently low framerare over a higher erratic framerate.

Alghough would a gsync display solve any judder at framerates higher than 30?

What you would want to do then is put yourself looking at the Manhattan skyline with weather set to "mostly cloudy" and adjust your graphic settings until you get a steady 30fps.

That will pretty much guarantee 30fps everywhere else.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is great. I would love to see more 'best settings' for games where you maximise performance without sacrificing visual quality a great deal.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm very sensitive to frame-rate. I always chase 60 fps whenever possible. BUT.. believe me when I tell you, this sim feels perfectly fine at 30ish.. its super enjoyable and 30 is perfectly reasonable considering the visuals on display.

I'm having a wonderful time exploring on a laptop with a 1070 , an I7-7700HQ and just 12 gigs of RAM!!!!. I get 30 - 40fps on most situations with a mix of High and Ultra Settings in 1080p. I even manage to get volumetric clouds on Ultra and runs super fine and looks AMAZING.

This is a case when you can safely let go the 60fps chase and enjoy (at a more than acceptable framerate) what next gen is all about.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I was suprised how good this game felt to play at 30, specially since I normally game at 144fps+.

I had to do my own customization since it was my CPU that was getting destroyed and now I can run at 30+ consistently and it's SO GOOD.
This was the link I followed to know what settings affected what https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-8-18-2020/132407

Oct 27, 2017
USA
9900k, 1080 Ti, NVME SSSD, 64 GB's of RAM. I found it to run at a smooth 30 fps @1080p.
That might be my problem lol. (Besides RDR2, game is a hog, run that 1440p 60) I've really gotten used to 4K 60 on almost every game on my PC. I use my 55" LG C8 OLED as my monitor so I REALLY like having the resolution and target 4K for almost every game.