• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Got to Chapter 3 and oh my god, the apartment doors. The apartments everything. Seeing Tifa with everything behind her in a cutscene be just a smear... just how did they let this through?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Got to Chapter 3 and oh my god, the apartment doors. The apartments everything. Seeing Tifa with everything behind her in a cutscene be just a smear... just how did they let this through?

The funniest thing is, Tifa's and Cloud's apartment doors, which are prominently featured in several cutscenes, are so low res that they are practically non-existent and one floor below the doors no one cares about all have textures.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was hilarious when Aerith talks to the flowers outside her house, there is a close up of only the flowers and the textures are terrible. Why?!?!

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They live in the slums. They probably don't have the funds to contract carpenters for higher quality doors.

Oct 26, 2017
Well something like this could be helped by having an outside team handle the ports. Nixxus has done a fantastic job porting console games to PC for Square/Eidos. The real hope here though is that the source art for the textures are of a high resolution. I would assume the assets weren't original authored at a low resolution.

Regardless, since Sony has a Year of exclusivity the only hope for seeing the game with better assets will be if there's an update pack for PS5.

Afaik Nixxes only works on Square Enix Europe titles (Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal games) while the Japanese titles are made in-house by SE or outsourced to other jpn studios. FF XV PC version for example was made by SE

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Afaik Nixxes only works on Square Enix Europe titles (Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal games) while the Japanese titles are made in-house by SE or outsourced to other jpn studios. FF XV PC version for example was made by SE
I think they had a significant amount of help from Nvidia. The game was used as a tech demo for the 1080 Ti if I recall.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

This has all the hallmarks of a last minute panic optimization pass to me. There's no way the assets were actually designed to look like that. When you make a high resolution door texture, you can bake things like the plaque into the texture, but if it's at that resolution then they would have at least made the plaque its own mesh.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This has all the hallmarks of a last minute panic optimization pass to me. There's no way the assets were actually designed to look like that. When you make a high resolution door texture, you can bake things like the plaque into the texture, but if it's at that resolution then they would have at least made the plaque its own mesh.
Agreed. We definitely know there's higher quality door textures, as the inside of Cloud's apartment was in a trailer and looked great.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just arrived in chapter 2 and can spot the problematic textures right away. WTF?

Chapter 3? Chapter 2 does have some low quality textures like any other AAA game, but overall it looks absolutely stunning. The door and rock textures in Chapter 3 is where the low quality stuff becomes pretty evident.

It is weird to see a game pretty polished in many aspects, with the visuals looking unfinished. If this game had consistensy it would easily be a showpiece for this gen. It still is, just seems visually unfinished. Totally weird, when KH3 was pretty darned polished.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chapter 3? Chapter 2 does have some low quality textures like any other AAA game, but overall it looks absolutely stunning. The door and rock textures in Chapter 3 is where the low quality stuff becomes pretty evident.

It is weird to see a game pretty polished in many aspects, with the visuals looking unfinished. If this game had consistensy it would easily be a showpiece for this gen. It still is, just seems visually unfinished. Totally weird, when KH3 was pretty darned polished.
I only just arrived in the train, though. Looking forward to go further, of course! It really does a nice job for people who played the original by now. But I also have to wonder what is in the 90GB package if models and textures are so inconsistent? Feels strange.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The word is inconsistent. The devs probably know but they couldn't fix some issues due to time constraints or they did and the fixes caused problems.

Some chapters you go through apparently non graphic heavy areas and the textures look like shit. Then the next chapter has stunning views and textures all around plus battles and particles galore.

It doesn't bother me much but it is noticeable. The highs in this game are very high and I think it compensates.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I only just arrived in the train, though. Looking forward to go further, of course! It really does a nice job for people who played the original by now. But I also have to wonder what is in the 90GB package if models and textures are so inconsistent? Feels strange.
Probably CGs made with English and Japanese lip synching, so double the size.

Also voices in Japanese and French for the whole game (big game with a lot of voices from NPCs all the time in towns and etc.)

But they have better textures storage in there, I just know it. It's a bug.

Probably wont fix low poly models with a patch, but yeah, there's something going on with the textures.

I've talked about it before, but there is no LOD transitions AT ALL. And that's so fucking strange.
You don't see objects far away from you going from low poly to a higher model, at all. I've never seen a game without it (maybe I'm talking nonsense, since I dont know much about tech stuff)

I've been returning to this thread daily in hopes for a patch so I can replay the game

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think there is a lot of clutter in this game, a lot of geometric detail. Just a lot of it looks poorly finished. Maybe the size is so big because of a lack of optimisation and culling as well? Visually, the game isn't finished in my opinion, considering the inconsistency. I mean you have games like God of War 3, where some of the levels looked substantially less visually impressive than others, but they still looked polished. Here, some stuff just looks like it didn't have latter passes to finish sections of the game visually.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think there is a lot of clutter in this game, a lot of geometric detail. Just a lot of it looks poorly finished. Maybe the size is so big because of a lack of optimisation and culling as well? Visually, the game isn't finished in my opinion, considering the inconsistency. I mean you have games like God of War 3, where some of the levels looked substantially less visually impressive than others, but they still looked polished. Here, some stuff just looks like it didn't have latter passes to finish sections of the game visually.
Which does not give me much hope in the series in general. I feel I have to buy episode 1 again down the line (definite version of the remaster of the remake) because if they took so long for only Midgard, by when do we expect the next episodes to be released? On new hardware anyway, which means devs have to get used to it. Will it take another generation for episode 2?
Man, I spend 70€ on it...

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which does not give me much hope in the series in general. I feel I have to buy episode 1 again down the line (definite version of the remaster of the remake) because if they took so long for only Midgard, by when do we expect the next episodes to be released? On new hardware anyway, which means devs have to get used to it. Will it take another generation for episode 2?
Man, I spend 70€ on it...

With SE, who knows...They seem to often encounter serious issues with tech. At least Luminous seems more scalable than UE4 for big environments, but also seemed very demanding for current gen. Hopefully, that engine will pay more dividents next gen. I think though this game had a lot of dev issues, and it still has turned out very, very well overall in my opinion. Hopefully, they have more of a direction now and know what they are doing on the technical side. Because on the actual re-interpretation of the source material, they seem to have done very well, some controversy about the direction they are going with some aspects of the narrative notwithstanding.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With SE, who knows...They seem to often encounter serious issues with tech. At least Luminous seems more scalable than UE4 for big environments, but also seemed very demanding for current gen. Hopefully, that engine will pay more dividents next gen. I think though this game had a lot of dev issues, and it still has turned out very, very well overall in my opinion. Hopefully, they have more of a direction now and know what they are doing on the technical side. Because on the actual re-interpretation of the source material, they seem to have done very well, some controversy about the direction they are going with some aspects of the narrative notwithstanding.
I think UE4 is a great engine but was shackled by current gen hardware. It will hopefully shine next gen! It already gave us stunning looking games. I also don't know how hard it is to "master", Microsoft apparently did a lot of customization to it so I would see them as way more proficient with the engine than SE.
After playing FFXV I don't know... The art style really put me off and the pop in on base PS4 was jarring to me...
The good thing is that next gen hardware is truly a jump forward and I hope we might see games where many of the issues that FF7R and FFXV have will be a thing of the past!

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Still no word on a patch at all? I know with all the COVID stuff going on it might be complicated but I was hoping to have this solved before jumping to Chapter 8.

Oh well, finish like this and replay it come PS5.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think UE4 is a great engine but was shackled by current gen hardware. It will hopefully shine next gen! It already gave us stunning looking games. I also don't know how hard it is to "master", Microsoft apparently did a lot of customization to it so I would see them as way more proficient with the engine than SE.

yeah but to be honest, there is only one 'big' triple-A open world game that uses UE4 (as far as I know) and that is Days Gone; which has a lot of issues on its own (altough it does look great; don't get me wrong).

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After playing FFXV I don't know... The art style really put me off and the pop in on base PS4 was jarring to me...
The good thing is that next gen hardware is truly a jump forward and I hope we might see games where many of the issues that FF7R and FFXV have will be a thing of the past!

Yeah, I agree. I mean Day's Gone had its issues, but is an example of a pretty darn stunning open world game on UE4. But yeah Gears 5 seems the most polished use of the engine in a current gen game. FFXV had some great terrain modelling, but also had issues with textures and LoD. Decima is definitely my favourite engine at the moment. Handles up close detail and large scale rendering both incredibly well. The base game is already great, but the dlc Frozen Wilds is something else. Hopefully, the extra grunt in next gen consoles really benefits the next game, because given that it already looks some of the best implimentation of UE4 in some areas, they are doing themselves an injustice with having other areas looking unfinished.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I agree. I mean Day's Gone had its issues, but is an example of a pretty darn stunning open world game on UE4. But yeah Gears 5 seems the most polished use of the engine in a current gen game. FFXV had some great terrain modelling, but also had issues with textures and LoD. Decima is definitely my favourite engine at the moment. Handles up close detail and large scale rendering both incredibly well. The base game is already great, but the dlc Frozen Wilds is something else. Hopefully, the extra grunt in next gen consoles really benefits the next game, because given that it already looks some of the best implimentation of UE4 in some areas, they are doing themselves an injustice with having other areas looking unfinished.
I just hope they make a patch if it is possible without reworking everything, the game deserves better! I really hope they just made a mistake in using the engine and finally assembling the game and that there are better textures that just fail to load...

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
I finally reached the dreaded chapter and honestly, I'm more annoyed by the fact I've been running through narrow corridors for the past hour than the ugly environments.

Like, they make an open world FF15, and right after that they combo with another FF13 type of game. It feels even more linear than FF13, if it's even possible.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, cool! Wasn't aware of that.

You're right though, there's surprisingly few big open world games using UE4. I looked through a big list and it's slim pickings...

Days Gone, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2...

You wouldn't use those last two as shining examples of a beauty though.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Days Gone also had massive performance issues at launch and still does when you're riding the bike at top speed.

-Raven-

Jun 26, 2018
finished the game this weekend.

There is a GIANT leap in quality in the shinra scenarios, in chapters 16, 17 and 18. The same quality as the opening episode. No ugly texture and no ugly JPG on the background.
Its fucking gorgeous.

Whats makes the town episodes even more bizarre. Maybe was made by another team (outsourced) ?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Whats makes the town episodes even more bizarre. Maybe was made by another team (outsourced) ?

I imagine a lot of the game models will be outsourced. But outsourcers just make models and stuff to spec. They don't get asked to model a mug and then send back a PS1 era mug and it just gets slotted in.

Some things, like the low poly/muddy textured bathroom in Cloud's apartment, are seen in cutscenes at much higher fidelity. So I don't think there's even an issue of working with what they had. There's obviously been some optimisation (or bugs?) that has put reduced quality assets in certain scenes.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
there's more ugly parts in the game than beautiful ones, which is really sad, lots of low poly models for environnements and really bad textures, feels like early ps3 sometimes, or worse... and that is after the texture loaded mind you :

cq9f1C8.png

and what's up with these low quality jpeg city backdrop? Not only does it look terrible in movement, but why is it so lowres? An high quality background still image couldn't take that much ressources right?

i mean look at that :

c05X6Ur.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if you've noticed, but as pointed out by someone else here, there doesn't even seem to be any LOD transitions happening in this game (something which every modern game I've played has). It's almost like everything is stuck in their lowest LOD model.
This isn't true at all. When you're running around the slums you always see textures popping in. On characters and in the environment.

HDPh3Qp.png

OVvhpp6.png

2s5AGIm.png

snRZnrB.png

The texture quality on this guy changes depending on the camera angle lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't true at all. When you're running around the slums you always see textures popping in. On characters and in the environment.

HDPh3Qp.png

OVvhpp6.png

2s5AGIm.png

snRZnrB.png

The texture quality on this guy changes depending on the camera angle lol.

The models aren't changing though. Just the textures. Look at those rocks in the first two images. They're the exact same geometry. LOD settings would theoretically display that rock at that fidelity when you're miles away but it would ping into having more polygons as you get closer. This just fades in a better texture.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
there's more ugly parts in the game than beautiful ones, which is really sad, lots of low poly models for environnements and really bad textures, feels like early ps3 sometimes, or worse... and that is after the texture loaded mind you :

cq9f1C8.png

and what's up with these low quality jpeg city backdrop? Not only does it look terrible in movement, but why is it so lowres? An high quality background still image couldn't take that much ressources right?

i mean look at that :

c05X6Ur.png

Rushed development for outsourced sections imho. Regardless all in all, having finished the game, and weighting up and downs, I think I can still consider it one very good looking game. First and final chapters are really, really impressive and balance all out.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Jpeg backgrounds somehow look worse than the original versions from 20 years ago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the PC release will have texture overhaul mods, if Square doesn't do it themselves. It doesn't ruin the game for me but some of the environment details are shockingly bad.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm hoping the PC release will have texture overhaul mods, if Square doesn't do it themselves. It doesn't ruin the game for me but some of the environment details are shockingly bad.

There is plenty they can do with current gen consoles too. With how utterly inconsistent this game is about its graphics, I hope it's simply just a matter of dev time. Chapter 3 the skybox is fine. Chapter 15, the 'skyfloor' is terribad. Am I supposed to believe they simply ran into constraints with the hardware that they couldn't render a better looking version in one chapter over another? I'm not a developer so I'm sure I'm just talking out of my ass but it just seems weird.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The models aren't changing though. Just the textures. Look at those rocks in the first two images. They're the exact same geometry. LOD settings would theoretically display that rock at that fidelity when you're miles away but it would ping into having more polygons as you get closer. This just fades in a better texture.
Well I can't say if there are higher quality meshes hidden inside the game, but considering this is something that plagues the entire game, except for the first and final chapters, I'm not sure. If these low-poly assets were the result of LOD issues, then these cables wouldn't really be showing up at all, would they. When it comes polycounts, I think Squee sacrificed everything for a locked framerate and extremely high quality character models.

uTDwenK.png

Textures are simply low-res that usually look nice from a solid distance, but as soon as you get near they break down.

WwxQosm.png

vzWxQal.png

I8LXm1y.png

cRDDYIR.png

It's like the assets in this game were not designed for a 3rd person perspective but rather from a far away camera like the old PS1 games lol. BTW I use the farthest camera option possible.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I think they had a significant amount of help from Nvidia. The game was used as a tech demo for the 1080 Ti if I recall.
Tabata just wanted to add all the cool features to Luminous and actually make use of it since it ended up being too much for current gen consoles. So it was both a showcase for Luminous and nvidia.

Oct 25, 2017
This is really a next gen version of FFXIII. JPEG backgrounds, most of the rendering budget on characters, subpar environments (though some still look better than the worse looking ones in VIIR, I must say).

The difference is that now the entire character looks great, last gen they prioritized the characters' faces and their hands looked low poly as hell outside of prerendered cutscenes.

It really shows that much of the same team worked on this in so many ways. Even in positive ways, like the stagger based combat.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
When I got to Chapter 8 I thought I figured out the games gimmick that it was subtly going to regress back into a PS1 game visually.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Don't know if you've noticed, but as pointed out by someone else here, there doesn't even seem to be any LOD transitions happening in this game (something which every modern game I've played has). It's almost like everything is stuck in their lowest LOD model.

I noticed, and I also noticed geometry pop-in, even in the demo (some boxes were materializing into existance).

There are 3 things people are complaining about:

• Low res textures: pretty evident. Possible fix for next gen? Relatively easily, high-res versions of those textures should already exist.
  • Pop in: in some instances. Possible fix for next gen? Maybe
  • Low geometry: everywhere in some areas. Possible fix for next gen? Unknown, we dont know if they are actually lower-geometry versions of better assets, that are told "not to load the high poly version" due to the optimization code, or if they were created like that from scratch.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Got the game today. Do you guys think is this is getting fixed or was it simply done like this and there's no bad loading issue happening?
I'd be willing to wait for a patch tbh.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The JPG background in Chapter 15 actually made me feel nauseous because the perspective was so wonky.

The Midgar skyline from the Shinra HQ looked fine in the next chapter. Seemed like it had actual geometry and depth to it.