• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Whew. Well I'll just stick with emulating my copy. Holy hell. Saga Frontier port was great, I had high hopes for this. Wonder if SE can fix any of this? Please oh please let the Final fantasy tactics port turn out ok...

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Ripping of gamers seems to become a trend nowadays.

Well let's be honest it's not difficult. Years upon years of these type of things basically screaming from the industry do not buy games day one wait for patches and sales. And still people buying tons of things the day it comes out. Where is the incentive for companies to change?

At some point it's on gamers as well. At this point we've seen it long enough that it's borderline just taking candy from impatient and undisciplined babies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well let's be honest it's not difficult. Years upon years of these type of things basically screaming from the industry do not buy games day one wait for patches and sales. And still people buying tons of things the day it comes out. Where is the incentive for companies to change?

At some point it's on gamers as well. At this point we've seen it long enough that it's borderline just taking candy from impatient and undisciplined babies.

It is 100% only on the developers of the game.

No reasonable person would think that a Chrono Cross port on PS4 would run worse than the original PS1 version. Even with any issues previous re-releases of Square games have had, this is pretty extreme.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I was 100% expecting these kinds of shenanigans after the Final Fantasy VIII remaster turned out to be based on the old PC port and had no rumble and no analog support. Hopefully they patch Chrono Cross, but based on their past history I'm not holding my breath (I gave up on them ever adding rumble and analog support to FFVIII).

And it would be 100% ironic if Playstation Plus Premium included Chrono Cross as one of the PS1 titles and it ran better there.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Back in the day, I knew that a game from Squaresoft would be great or at least it would try something new/different/crazy.
Now, if it's a port/remaster from SQEX, it's bad with a chance of terrible.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's just so bizarre how SE treat their old games, almost every single re-release they've done in the last 15 years has had technical and presentation issues. They genuinely don't seem to give a shit.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
It is 100% only on the developers of the game.

No reasonable person would think that a Chrono Cross port on PS4 would run worse than the original PS1 version. Even with any issues previous re-releases of Square games have had, this is pretty extreme.

Of course they wouldn't. Except for this being the umpteenth example of a game being released in really poor shape on day one.

My post was in response to someone saying ripping off gamers. At what point does it stop being a rip off? If you buy games day one at this point you're pretty much a sucker OR you've said I'm willing to gamble. It would be like walking into a restaurant that has screwed up your order the last 19 times and then being completely outraged when they screw it up the 20th….I dunno maybe choose a new strategy?

This isn't me trying to forgive developers for releasing a crappy game. More of a stop acting like you're shocked message for gamers who absolutely can't believe this happened again.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
It doesn't stop being that.

Putting blame on the consumer at all is silly.

I disagree at least in 2022. Maybe 10 years ago.

We've essentially told game companies for a long time now we will pre order and gobble up anything and be cool with them patching it later. Expecting companies to not be tempted to get games out the door with the idea of polishing later doesn't make sense.

Consumers have 100% shown they are fine with this relationship and people still pre order games all the time. Consumers can absolutely share some of the blame for release now patch later. It's a system they showed long ago they are ok with contributing to.

How many people left don't realize day one purchases are gambles? And you're saying well hey don't be mad at the gamblers be mad at the house! But the house is the way it is because the gamblers are fine with it being that way is all I'm saying.

Blue Mage

Oct 29, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm only half-joking when I say I'm convinced SE puts these botched remasters out in order to have more stuff to re-re-release down the road.

The PS4 FF9 port released toward the end of 2017; why in the world is there any need for whatever they're doing with the supposed FF9 Remake a mere 5 years later? Cause it was a bare bones cash grab just like 7, 8, seemingly Chrono Cross, etc etc. Minimal effort, not what the fanbase largely deems decent, but how many bajillions of copies have they sold of all those ports in the last few years?

Contrast that with something like FF12: The Zodiac Age which was very highly (and imho justifiably) deemed a great remaster. Personally I don't want or need any other version of 12 aaaaanytime soon. I can't imagine what else they could possibly improve for that title. But better versions of 7, 8, 9, Chrono, etc? Yeah as much as it pains me to admit it I could see being tempted by that, and boom just like that I'm another potential repeat customer even though I have a lot of disdain for how SE is conducting their remasters.

I don't actually think this is an intentional business decision, but I can't help but imagine a Dartboard of Undesirable Aspects somewhere in SE hq where the port and remaster teams just go wild trying to figure out what's going to tarnish their output XD