• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Wow looks like Xbox One X is the way to play.

Quick footnotes, both systems 1080p performance mode, 1800p resolution mode. Performance mode on both consoles isn't great. 50-60 fps on foot, dropping to 40's when driving. XB1X Resolution mode is the preferred way to play where its locked 30, 1800p, whereas the PS4 Pro is 1800p but sub 30fps.

No base console comparison yet as they just received their copies yesterday.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Lack of cross save stops me double dipping on the X.
Friends have it on the Pro so ran with that.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Quick footnotes, both systems 1080p performance mode, 1800p resolution mode. Performance mode on both consoles isn't great. 50-60 fps on foot, dropping to 40's when driving. XB1X Resolution mode is the preferred way to play where its locked 30, 1800p, whereas the PS4 Pro is 1800p but sub 30fps.

Hmmm interesting. A shame X can't run it at a locked 60fps but maybe a patch in the future? Interesting that both X and Pro share the same resolution. Maybe they can improve it for Pro and if need be lower the res?

Not gonna watch the video because I really just want to wait until I play it myself. :)

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So that is the takeaway from this?

Locked 30 fps resolution mode xbox one x ? I have yet to open my copy because I'm debating returning for PC.

Does pc have HDR ? How is the performance in comparison ? 6700k 1080 ti. Will play on 4k tv or 3440x1440.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
Nov 20, 2017
Does this have any splitscreen numbers? Can't watch, at work. -_-

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Can't wait for next gen with better CPUs. None of these "60fps" modes on the Pro consoles seem to be able even get close to a locked 60 in demanding titles outside of walking around when there's nothing happening.

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Haven't watched the video yet but surely they dont say X1X Resolution mode is the preferred mode...It's technically 30 fps but without any kind of smoothing it feels like a really rough 30fps.

Overall the IQ and Performance of the game is dissapointing. Feels like Im playing a TellTale FPS game.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Hmmm interesting. A shame X can't run it at a locked 60fps but maybe a patch in the future? Interesting that both X and Pro share the same resolution. Maybe they can improve it for Pro and if need be lower the res?

Not gonna watch the video because I really just want to wait until I play it myself. :)

They said Gearbox fixed Battleborn to run way better with a patch so there's hope that we get a bunch of fixes eventually. Also the PS4 Pro version makes no sense because there's a slight asset difference between Pro/X and its better on the Pro but the Pro can't hold a locked 30 in resolution mode. Why would they do that? Seems rushed so hopefully Gearbox has some fixes in the works.

Haven't watched the video yet but surely they dont say X1X Resolution mode is the preferred mode...It's technically 30 fps but without any kind of smoothing it feels like a really rough 30fps.

Overall the IQ and Performance of the game is dissapointing. Feels like Im playing a TellTale FPS game.

Its the preferred mode since performance mode varies so wildly. I haven't had an issue with resolution mode on the X. I went from playing Gears 1 and 2 to (30fps games) to BL3 without an issue. Now if you're staring at 60fps for a while, yea 30fps looks broken.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Looks like both versions still need some work to improve performance.

Locked 30fps on X looks to be the best way to play on console at the moment. Hopefully they can patch it to improve performance mode on both.

Also interesting to see the Pro have a few graphical settings higher than the X version, making it look slightly better (better AF, more foliage on Pro)

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Do they talk about HDR because this game looks like a good step up from 2's. Hope the patch in 29 days time does some good.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I dont know what to do.

30 fps performance xbox one or PC, I hear that has it's own issues. I have a 6700k 1080ti

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Between the wonky console versions and high demands on PC this game seems to be a mess performance wise.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
1X seems the best overall but still a poor showing for both formats. Really need some patches done, especially after spending time with Gears 5.

Locked 30 at 1800p seems to be the better option over the 1080p randomly 50-60 mode.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for next gen with better CPUs. None of these "60fps" modes on the Pro consoles seem to be able even get close to a locked 60 in demanding titles outside of walking around when there's nothing happening.
Yea. The current consoles have overstayed their welcome more than any other generation I feel.

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its the preferred mode since performance mode varies so wildly. I haven't had an issue with resolution mode on the X. I went from playing Gears 1 and 2 to (30fps games) to BL3 without an issue. Now if you're staring at 60fps for a while, yea 30fps looks broken.

Destiny 2 is 30fps on consoles and feels great to play. Borderlands 3 at 30fps on consoles feels incredibly choppy and is near unplayable.

Performance mode on the X feels ok...it does suck when it dips though.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Sanctuary on ps4 pro is absolutely awful, its serviceable up until then. Plus with the huge delay and lag with the menus, this game needs a lot of performance work. Resolution mode in Sanctuary is like very jittery 20 fps tops

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird to say as DF clearly states at around 4:58 markthat if you want the best looking way to play it, you shouls go for P4 Pro :D
I don't think it's weird to say. They might just have a preference for performance consistency over visuals.
You're right that DF said that it "looks" the best on PS4 PRO, but the only way to play it with a consistent framerate on console appears to be on an Xbox One X in resolution mode. If I were to play the game, it'd probably be that way (or try my best on my PC, but I don't know about the PC version's "quirks" which it apparently might have...)

Thanks, you dudes at Digital Foundry for the quick analysis! Wasn't expecting anything this soon. (I mean... the game came out yesterday and it didn't sound like many people got pre-release access. I'd imagine if the game runs like this they damn sure didn't send Digital Foundry copies, lol...)

Last edited:

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
The comparison with Gears shows how terrible this port is. Gears 5 not only looks better but runs massively better whilst being at higher resolution literally all the time according to that DF video. The fact these consoles especially the PRO are struggling to even hit 60 at 1080p is tragic. I think this is another case of terrible optimisation rather than hardware limitations. Control looks like a game which suffers from hardware limitations but this game looks bland as hell and still manages to perform worse compared to games which look better and run better whilst being at higher resolutions.

I would have bought this on PC anyway but after hearing about the shitty VM/spyware and constant 2mbps upload BS that's going on with the PC version I think I'll give this game a hard miss.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the Resolution mode on One X felt awful, and I'm not someone that usually cares about frame rate all that much.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I can't understand why anyone would not play this game in performance mode.

It's not a perfect 60fps but, it's really not bad at all. In my opinion, with the cel-shaded art style, the increased resolution outside of performance mode just isn't worth it at all.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017

Borderlands 3 is giving beefy PC's a hard time at the moment though, seems like a bit of optimisation is needed across all versions of the game. I know your point is wider than B3 and as much as we need better CPU's we need better optimisation.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I thought the Resolution mode on One X felt awful, and I'm not someone that usually cares about frame rate all that much.

Looking at the video it looks like resolution mode holds 30fps with no frame pacing issues. There could be an issue with input lag which is something DF seem to rarely comment on.

PS4 Pro performance is just crap all round.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I can't understand why anyone would not play this game in performance mode.

It's not a perfect 60fps but, it's really not bad at all. In my opinion, with the cel-shaded art style, the increased resolution outside of performance mode just isn't worth it at all.

It was blurry and jaggy so I noped out.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I don't see how that happened considering that there are barely any differences compared to B2. I mean when DF showed the borderlands 1 remaster it almost looked the same as 3. I am waiting for it's release on steam to buy it, but is the graphical difference big compared to B2?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hopefully a simple patch will sort things out soon.

Disappointing to see the framerate so unstable at the moment.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Not a particularly great performance profile in any regard. 1800p on the X is disappointing.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm playing on Pro in performance mode and it's running ok for me.

I certainly wouldn't call it ass. It's a fun game so far.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
So looks like waiting for the PS5 remaster is the right call.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly haven't felt like the framerate has been a huge hindrance for me in performance mode on my Pro. The stuttering/lag in the menus is much more noticable and I hope that gets fixed ASAP. Of course, I hope the performance gets ironed out in all modes on all systems sooner rather than later. I know "4K" is a nice buzzword but it doesn't mean jack shit if the game runs like ass. 1440p at a solid 30fps would be SO much better for the resolution mode on PS4 Pro.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Going to wait for a patch or two before buying this. It is stupid that they have the resolution mode for both at 1800p. It is like they did not test it at all. With the increased power of the "X" 1800p is fine targeting 30fps, but on PRO it should of been dropped to 1440p to maintain the frame rate. It just seems like the game was not optimized very well regardless of what setting you play it on with consoles.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The comparison with Gears shows how terrible this port is. Gears 5 not only looks better but runs massively better whilst being at higher resolution literally all the time according to that DF video. The fact these consoles especially the PRO are struggling to even hit 60 at 1080p is tragic. I think this is another case of terrible optimisation rather than hardware limitations. Control looks like a game which suffers from hardware limitations but this game looks bland as hell and still manages to perform worse compared to games which look better and run better whilst being at higher resolutions.

I would have bought this on PC anyway but after hearing about the shitty VM/spyware and constant 2mbps upload BS that's going on with the PC version I think I'll give this game a hard miss.

Gears 5 doesn't run anywhere close to a locked 60fps either, it's the Jaguar CPUs. People don't realise just how ancient and slow they are by modern standards compared, even low end PCs these days destroy them. It's likely why The Coalition decided to go with dynamic 4K because locked 60fps wasn't happening at any resolution. Gears 4 was 1080p and still ran at 45fps under heavy load. Not to say BL3 runs good but being ''just 1080p" doesn't matter if you're gimped by the CPU.

Borderlands 3 is giving beefy PC's a hard time at the moment though, seems like a bit of optimisation is needed across all versions of the game. I know your point is wider than B3 and as much as we need better CPU's we need better optimisation.

The PC version sounds like an even bigger mess so there's no doubt there are some e=serious optimisation issues going on here. We've seen similar issues with basically every "60fps" performance mode in recent times outside of something like Shadow of the Colossus.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
So that is the takeaway from this?

Locked 30 fps resolution mode xbox one x ? I have yet to open my copy because I'm debating returning for PC.

Does pc have HDR ? How is the performance in comparison ? 6700k 1080 ti. Will play on 4k tv or 3440x1440.
PC version does have HDR!

Feb 10, 2018
Looks good on 1x, and not to bad on the pro, resolution mode is disappointing on the pro though.
Good analysis from DF as always.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
On x1x, there's a point further on in the game where even on performance mode, I'm pretty sure the frame rate is below 30

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Going to wait for a patch or two before buying this. It is stupid that they have the resolution mode for both at 1800p. It is like they did not test it at all. With the increased power of the "X" 1800p is fine targeting 30fps, but on PRO it should of been dropped to 1440p to maintain the frame rate. It just seems like the game was not optimized very well regardless of what setting you play it on with consoles.
The idea that they might've just taken the "settings" from the base consoles that they brought up in the video is pretty baffling. Anticipating their video comparing all 4 console versions to see if this was true or not.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Yep....

I knew something was wrong. Messing up with reviewers. PC builds everywhere.

Ultra settings on a GTX 1070 barely hits 60 fps at 1080p.

Not touching this until its properly stable.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
There were multiple people in the OT claiming the PS4 Pro performance mode ran perfectly smooth. This is why you don't listen to people discuss framerate when they either can't see obvious fluctuations or they have ulterior motives.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It was blurry and jaggy so I noped out.

Performance mode runs is 1080p. It's not blurry by any stretch of the imagination. Do you remember the games at the beginning of this generation? 720p? Now that could be called blurry, but this ain't it.

Also, an image can be blurry, or it can be jaggy, but it really can't be both.

There were multiple people in the OT claiming the PS4 Pro performance mode ran perfectly smooth. This is why you don't listen to people discuss framerate when they either can't see obvious fluctuations or they have ulterior motives.

I just played through to
Promethea
in performance mode on the PS4 Pro. It's not perfectly smooth, but it feels like 50-60 when running around shooting. The performance is certainly playable, and I have no complaints. I also have no "ulterior motives" saying this. Why would I?

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Not being able to hit 1080/60 in an FPS game on an enhanced console is very disappointing. Hopefully some ironing out patches are on the way. Otherwise, the next-gen consoles can't come soon enough. Really feeling the punishment with these old CPUs lately