• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Okay, so context for this new movie/series (???)? I watched Tri, it kinda turned into a mess... is this in that spirit? A direct sequel to that? Or a sequel to the OG anime series while ignoring Tri?

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
This is a completely new series, focused on creatures called "appmon", which are basically digimon but never called that.
Instead of being based on things, animals and concepts like digimon, appmon are based on smartphone apps, like Musimon, Gatchmon (search), and Cameramon.

I don't think I've ever seen a classic digimon in that but I only watched a few episodes. I'm excited to watch it fully finally because despite the boring start I've been told it gets good later on.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
This is a completely new series, focused on creatures called "appmon", which are basically digimon but never called that.
Instead of being based on things, animals and concepts like digimon, appmon are based on smartphone apps, like Musimon, Gatchmon (search), and Cameramon.

I don't think I've ever seen a classic digimon in that but I only watched a few episodes. I'm excited to watch it fully finally because despite the boring start I've been told it gets good later on.
Oh sorry, not talking about the Appmon thing. I mean the one with the 02 kids coming back. Unless that's also now based on apps? Which would be confusing but at this point I'm already confused so, whatever lol

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so context for this new movie/series (???)? I watched Tri, it kinda turned into a mess... is this in that spirit? A direct sequel to that? Or a sequel to the OG anime series while ignoring Tri?
it's after tri. but the thing is I believe not that much info about the movies other than it took place years later, and 02 casts aren't forgotten this time lol

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
More X-mon.

iv2qwu3uats31.jpg

Ophanimon X, Cherubimon X, Keramon X.

EDIT: Actually we skipped out few designs:

chroniclex18_2_october1_2019.jpg

chroniclex19_1_october8_2019.jpg

Angewomon X, Justimon X, Siesamon X.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
With the PC and Switch releases of the Cyber Sleuth games coming up I thought I'd plug my evolution path finding tool again.

It lets you do the following:
  • Enter any two Digimon and get a full evolution path between them.
  • Choose up to 8 skills you'd like your Digimon to learn and get a single evolution path that includes all those skills.
  • Ban specific Digimon from being used in the evolution path
For those familiar with the old version you will find that it looks a lot nicer now and that it runs quite a bit faster.
If you encounter any issues, please let me know!

Try it here: DigiPathFinder

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
After playing some Cyber Sleuth over the weekend and watching the first Tri movie last night (I plan on ordering the six-movie collection on pay day, since only the first one can be streamed apparently), I'm kind of itching to watch more of the anime for the first time in... I dunno, fifteen years? But I'm not sure what to watch exactly. I loved the first three seasons/shows as a kid and thought the fourth was also good, though not quite as much as the first three. Didn't watch beyond that.

Does the English dub of Adventure still hold up well enough, or am I better off watching a subtitled version? Also, is there any legitimate way to watch the various non-Tri movies that pertain to those earlier seasons? I recall some of them getting English dubs on Disney XD or something towards the end of my run with the show.

Sorry for all the questions :x

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
If you've never seen Digimon subbed, doing it for the music alone is worth it. I prefer sub > dub, but Digimon honestly had one of the better ones, in terms of voice talent (script was... a different story at times).

If you want something new and fresh, go check out Digimon Universe App Monsters on Crunchyroll. Seriously, it's good :x

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If you've never seen Digimon subbed, doing it for the music alone is worth it. I prefer sub > dub, but Digimon honestly had one of the better ones, in terms of voice talent (script was... a different story at times).

If you want something new and fresh, go check out Digimon Universe App Monsters on Crunchyroll. Seriously, it's good :x
Yeah, the script is my main concern. I know the voices wouldn't bother me (even if only because of nostalgia, though as you said, I do remember them being solid), but I wasn't sure if the localization changes would be grating nowadays or not. As long as it's at least tolerable, I'd rather watch the dub (I've never been a fan of subs), but if it's bad enough, I'll watch it subbed. I guess I could watch a couple of episodes of both and see what I think though.

And yeah, heard good things about Appmon. I might give that a shot sometime.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Does the English dub of Adventure still hold up well enough, or am I better off watching a subtitled version? Also, is there any legitimate way to watch the various non-Tri movies that pertain to those earlier seasons? I recall some of them getting English dubs on Disney XD or something towards the end of my run with the show.

The dub is weird. It's really good, both writing and voice acting wise, but they took a lot of liberties with it lol. That being said, it's clear a lot of passion went into it, which I think helps it hold up more than some of the more wooden, literal 1:1 translations they had in anime back then.

A lot of the humour is groan worthy, but it's in the silly, Brock from Pokémon's "I'll turn my trusty frying pan, into a drying pan!" kind of way.

Basically, it's different enough that I couldn't recommend one over the other.

As for movies, the subbed ones were Digimon the Movie, which was a sort of abridged compilation of the first 3 Japanese movies, and Runaway Locomon for Tamers. There may have been another one for Adventure, but I never caught it.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I keep forgeting showing more new Digimon.

pegasmonx_november14_2019.png

meramonx_november18_2019.png

Pegasusmon X and Meramon X. This Place probably missed out on Jazamon and NoblePumpkinmon, so why not those too.
jazamon_november18_2019.png
noblepumpkinmon_fullshot_october8_2019.png

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
And it won't stop coming.

chronicle25_november19_2019.jpg

Ogudomon X

Honestly, how known is mid 2000s Digimon stuff here at West? How many here knew about that Demon Lords not only had Special Swords made for them, but that they can fuse into Abstract World Ending Monster? (Except this Ogudomon X was fused with 7 Diaboromon X carrying Demon Lord Swords)

Oct 29, 2017
And it won't stop coming.

chronicle25_november19_2019.jpg

Ogudomon X

Honestly, how known is mid 2000s Digimon stuff here at West? How many here knew about that Demon Lords not only had Special Swords made for them, but that they can fuse into Abstract World Ending Monster? (Except this Ogudomon X was fused with 7 Diaboromon X carrying Demon Lord Swords)
As someone who genuinely thinks Pokémon could learn a lot from Cyber Sleuth, checks this thread every now and again and doesn't watch much of the anime maybe I'm a good representative of general non-fanatical knowledge in the West.

I didn't know what you're talking about.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
I consider myself a big Digimon fan, but I hardly know anything outside of the anime series or some tidbits here and there.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I consider myself a big Digimon fan, but I hardly know anything outside of the anime series or some tidbits here and there.

I feel kinda the same... The X/anti-body forms I know almost nothing about. I feel like you needed to cover several different mediums to really even get the knowledge, like how I think they originated on those Pendulums, and them some short manga and stuff were made on them. Story-wise has been harder to access to a lot of them, and then they start making appearances in the games. Gets kinda convoluted >_>

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
So that Ogudomon X, who is gonna fight it? Why, it is

chronicle26_november24_2019.jpg

Jesmon GX

That is Jesmon X with the power of Gankoomon X, but not a direct fusion.

Bit underwhelming but hey its not another Omegamon at least.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New visual as well, they didn't learn their lesson with the tri visuals.... Half of them have the same eyes again.

kizuna_newposterlargejp_december17_2019.jpg

The themes being explored in the movie + animation look great, much more optimistic for this than I was for tri.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching the first Tri movie in English. Yeah, Tri is bad (never finished the original Japanese version, think I stopped after movie three) but I'm mostly watching it for nostalgia. It's cool that they got a chunk of the original cast back together and how they left the script and music alone. The scene when Agumon appeared had me grinning.

Though rewatching this movie, it's jarring that they cast makes no mention of the 02 team. Like, how?

kinda wanna go back and watch Adventure again but that dub is awful by today's standards. Might watch it in Japanese.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished watching the first Tri movie in English. Yeah, Tri is bad (never finished the original Japanese version, think I stopped after movie three) but I'm mostly watching it for nostalgia. It's cool that they got a chunk of the original cast back together and how they left the script and music alone. The scene when Agumon appeared had me grinning.

Though rewatching this movie, it's jarring that they cast makes no mention of the 02 team. Like, how?

kinda wanna go back and watch Adventure again but that dub is awful by today's standards. Might watch it in Japanese.
Its an Adventure Movie so no 02 at all. That's it. (Well actually they do use somewhat but in absolute stupid way)

It is funny how I joked in 2014 that 02 kids would convieniently have moved to another city... but that actually would have been better written story.

I cant wait to see how many Tri references Kizuna will have lol

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
What gets me most about Tri is that they actually go through with killing all the partner Digimon, bringing them back but without ANY of their memories. ONLY for that to then not matter at all, because an episode later they're acting identical around their humans as if none of that ever happened.

Tri is dogshit.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like I said, Tri is pretty bad. Watching the third movie now and I can't help but think this should have been one big movie as a celebration for the fans. I think that's what Kizuna is and I'm honestly really excited for it.

also Vic as Matt is not good.

edit: finished Tri and it made me remember why I fell in love with this franchise so many years ago. I think I'm going to binge through the franchise again.

Last edited:

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should this news be a new thread? I feel it should be a new thread.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't like more Adventure BUT I like they're going to do something for a new generation of kids this time around instead of aiming for adults...which has been mixed in my opinion.

The old style makes me fucking happy.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Appmon with my 9yo nephew, and we just got to episode 45.
That evolution sequence and battle with Brave Heart in the background really got me.