• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, so this is a weird one, but with the new PS5 mod for Skyrim, I started a new campaign and discovered I wasn't torn about which side to choose between the Empire and the Stormcloaks.

Previously, while I was put off by the Stormcloaks' ethnonationalism, I also reviled the Empire for shutting down religious liberty. But now, having seen the actual motivations and results of ethnonationalism cloaked in religious liberty and intense religiosity, I find myself favoring the Empire without delay. Yes, they shut down some liberty, but overall, I'm drawn to their multi-ethnic society that uses top-down power to preserve mostly beneficial government.

.......So yeah. This is a weird one. Thoughts?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I played like 150 hours of Skyrim and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the actual main plot of the game lol. I need to read a wiki summary

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
The empire tries to cut your head off at the very beginning of the game, so it's sort of hard to RP yourself into working for them.

JoeHisaishi

Banned
Jan 30, 2021
They're both shit. It was hard choosing between them. But I very reluctantly chose the Empire.

I wish the main story had more nuance. So much they could have done with it. It actively put me off doing main story quests

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I played like 150 hours of Skyrim and I couldn't tell you a single thing about the actual main plot of the game lol. I need to read a wiki summary
Humorously, despite the hyping up of the civil war in the marketing and whatnot for Skyrim, it has almost nothing to do with the main plot.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
as Not A Nord the Stormcloaks were obviously shit the minute I started interacting with them. Add onto that iirc before I even really engaged with the war stuff I found the Thalmor documents basically framing the whole civil war as a convenient distraction and the Stormcloaks were useful idiots for going along with it, it kind of made it obvious they weren't anywhere close to the "good" side at all. Whole anti-religious freedom was a Thalmor thing to begin with too.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Lol, this. I don't know how people remember plot points from games let alone to this detail. I have zero recollection about anything in Skyrim other than I loved every TOS game, it's snowy, there are dragons and fus ro dah.

Aug 10, 2019
I remember putting the controller down and going over the pros and cons of both factions about a decade ago. I'm proud to say that I chose the Empire, "ethnic cleansing" is never justifiable.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Nope. Helping the racist nationalists, who are literally unknowing tools for literal doomsday nazis, or an empire that fights both of them, suppresses religious freedom due to the doomsday nazis, and maybe is a bit too chill with executing people? Yeah, that's been an easy one for a while. It's the empire.

Yeah, the empire has a lot of other issues, but in the Skyrim Civil War, I'd say they are 100% the best option for everybody who isn't a racist.

Last edited:

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I always pick the Empire but it was shitty how they sacrificed the Redguards Homeland for the rest of the Empire.

Still at least the Empire looks out for "basically" everyone while the Nords ONLY care about Nords. You can't go through Skyrim without noticing how xenophobic Nords are in Skyrim. Though Karl Balgruuf isn't about that life. He should be high king of Skyrim.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I finished the main story and the whole war plot, but the only thing I remember is that both sucked and it was hard to decide.

Oct 31, 2017
So basically the argument is between "ethnonationalism" and "colonialism"?

Also, in for a bonus round of "What have the Romans ever done for us?", I guess.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The Stormcloacks were obviously shit well before Trump made it onto the scene. They were racists and separatists. It was even clear that Ulfric was just using nationalism to gain power for himself.

General Tullius of the Empire was a hard ass but he at least cared for his troops and promised to take care of their families if they fell in battle.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
They're both shit. I usually side with the Empire though. Recent events haven't changed my views though.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Both sides kind of suck and I often just ignored that plot line when I made new characters lol

I did choose Empire though.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to see the Stormcloaks as anything other than the MAGA chuds of Tamriel these days. I played Skyrim on the Switch back in 2017, and when I got far enough into the main quest, sided with the Empire, marched into Stormcloak HQ, and shouted that Ulfric motherfucker off his throne, because fuck that guy.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
The Imperials are obviously set up to be the "bad guys" from the beginning, and I think Bethesda did a poor job of giving the player a genuine reason for choosing them over the Stormcloaks, but at the end of the day the Stormcloaks are pushing for an ethnostate and the Empire is not. Obviously the elf supremacy stuff isn't great either, but it's not like the Imperials like being subjugated by the Thalmor either, and for me it is easier to construct my own inner story where you're involvement in Skyrim is a step toward the Empire pushing against the High Elves.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
By the way, you can side with Empire and then kill the Emperor at

the Dark Brotherhood questline

I think that's what I did lol

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
The Empire wants to build up their forces in a time during which the invading elves really can't.

The Stormcloaks want the freedom to be a bunch of extremely racist twats and worship a guy they claim has ascended to godhood...

Even if you have no real investment in either side, it's really a matter of choosing between a bunch of dumbasses and a bunch of reasonable people.

Who tf rebels against their own side in the middle of a war anyway?...

Jan 3, 2019
I still feel like the entire conflict could be solved with a 15 minute conversation.

Also, it's no huge revelation that the Thalmor are the real evil faction who benefit greatly from the war, they got the empire by the balls and Tullius knows this.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
if i'm not wrong isnt ulfric a puppet for the evil efls?
Kinda sorta. He was at first, but now he's pretty much an unknowing asset to keep the Stormcloaks and Empire fighting.

elderscrolls.fandom.com

Thalmor Dossier: Ulfric Stormcloak

Main article: Books (Skyrim) For other uses, see Thalmor Dossier. Thalmor Dossier: Ulfric Stormcloak is a book in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. In a chest at the Thalmor Embassy, Elenwen's Solar Status: Asset (uncooperative), Dormant, Emissary Level Approval Description: Jarl of Windhelm, leader...

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's made pretty clear that the Empire is being forced to act to remove Talos by the Thalmor. I always side with the Empire but go out of my way to kill off every Thalmor I find, as they are all just awful.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend not to view absolutely everything, fictional or otherwise, through the lens of contemporary American politics. Things are less inexplicable that way.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I never liked the way the game sets you up to hating the Empire with the whole almost decapitating you thing, before pulling a "but the Stormcloaks are actually worse" gotcha.
I played a Khaajit though, so I just role played that I was only out there to help the Khaajit, Argonians, and Orcs, because I feel like everyone who looked human was super racist basically.
To the topic in hand, absolutely not lol.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Isn't the difference that their religion is actually about real god and people whereas MAGA's religion is just pure fairytale?

Not played in so long but thats about the only distinction I can think of.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
The Empire has always been the obvious choice.

Stormcloaks are a bunch of racists who mainly fight to secede because of what the Thalmor mandate regarding Talos.

Empire is an established power structure that yes, is doing pretty shitty things on Thalmor orders, but who ultimately aim to return the Empire to being free of Thalmor control and let the Nords worship Talos again.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
Nope. Trump's presidency hasn't changed how I view the Imperials or Stormcloaks at all. It's still a pretty dull campaign with not much going for it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This is me. Skyrim is one of my favourite games ever, I own it about five times and I've played hundreds of hours of it.

Couldn't tell you anything about the main story.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the difference that their religion is actually about real god and people whereas MAGA's religion is just pure fairytale?

Not played in so long but thats about the only distinction I can think of.
Eh, Nord religion is weird. Talos was a dude they decided should be worshipped as a god, but that doesn't actually give him god powers or anything despite them acting like it.

I wouldn't call MAGA's religion pure fairytale either, though it's also not a very accurate view of Christianity at this point. They draw from the religion what's convenient to them and blatantly ignore what isn't.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'd probably pick whichever side offered me the most coin. Neither side offers any meaningful progress in terms of a constitution or a representative parliamentary body and I don't see the point of exchanging an oppressive emperor for an oppressive king.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It's interesting how the Empire are depicted as the bad guys during the prologue...but then the Stormcloaks reveal themselves to be much worse in a lot of ways if you pursue their questline.

The Empire is...not great at first impressions (gee, thanks for almost beheading me for...crossing the border???), but they are definitely the better choice overall.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The empire tries to cut your head off at the very beginning of the game, so it's sort of hard to RP yourself into working for them.

there is a mod for that...

To the OP, no not really I had and still do have strong dislike for the motivations of the Storm Cloaks and Ulfric is a dirt bag. The moment you walk into Windhelm you get a taste of what Ulfric is all about and I knew I didn't like what they stood for. The Empire has its own problems but it's not a both sides kind of argument to me.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but not strictly because of Left/Right Politics and more because the Thalmor actually want to destroy all Towers so that they can unmake reality and free them from being mortals.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
i think their religion being banned on penalty of death makes the stormcloak position a lot more sympathetic, particularly in a world where the gods are obviously real

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I really enjoyed playing as a Stormcloak that did not trust the people that were pulling the strings on both sides. It was really interesting to put myself in a the middle of what is a shady civil war entirely orchestrated by a third party.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I remember both being bad in their own ways, but that's the extent of it. I'd have to play it again.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Eh, Nord religion is weird. Talos was a dude they decided should be worshipped as a god, but that doesn't actually give him god powers or anything despite them acting like it.

I wouldn't call MAGA's religion pure fairytale either, though it's also not a very accurate view of Christianity at this point. They draw from the religion what's convenient to them and blatantly ignore what isn't.
No, in-universe Talos is an actual god. That's why the Thalmor banned worship of him - besides his being human, they think people no longer believing and praying to him will help them destroy the material plane so they can be immortal again. And it's easy to do that with a human-turned-deity since it's easier to muddy the waters than with indisputable gods like Akatosh.