• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Better decade for gaming?

• 2000s

Votes: 353 46.2%
  • 2010s

Votes: 411 53.8%

• Total voters

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
imo the 2000s had better games but only by a small amount

2010s has some really nice quality of life stuff in some areas, but also has some very annoying stuff as well

if i were stuck on the desert island id choose the 2000s. so many shin megami tensei games to work my way through haha

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
2000's since that's where alot of my favorite games (if we're not counting remakes/ports) of all time are from:

-Halo 2
-Modern Warfare 2
-Gears of War
-Resident Evil 4
-Resident Evil Outbreak/File #2
-God Hand
-Counter-Strike

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
2010's feels like it's largely influenced by my becoming an adult with disposable income. But there's a good chunk of the late 2000's and early 2010's that were straight up awful as a fan of Japanese developers because they were struggling with HD game development and fighting games kinda died off for a bit. Some of my favorite games are from the 2000's too, and I'm still playing games from the 2000's for the first time but I really do feel that some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had have been from recent years and I pretty much don't touch all the bad online stuff that people talk about because I don't have interest in those kinds of games in the first place.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Super early 2000 were ok, but mid it sucked. Luckily it improved late 2000s.

Basically I hate the PS2 era I guess.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the 2000's started amazing (Deus Ex, Metroid Prime, Halo, etc etc etc), but it got real dire pretty quick.

2010s have been fairly solid but not amazing throughout.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely this decade. There were some brilliant games in the past, but quite a few haven't aged well in terms of storytelling and narrative. And I have a feeling the same will happen to this decade, as more diverse writers and hopefully leads push how far storytelling can go in games.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Every decade has great games, but 2010s easily best everything else in quantity of these great games. Thanks to indies, most genres got revived, and we had diversity like never before. Fighting games being a thing again, 2D platformers/metroidvanias shinning like never before, big outlier genres like point and click adventures getting a lot of consistent stuff despite the Telltale like games "domination" on the 2000's, even formerly dead genres like old school beat'em'up returning...

Not everything was perfect tho. JRPGs had more great stuff in the past decades and classic Capcom survival horror died for real...until RE2R? Maybe 2020's will be the age of based survivor horror revival?

Anyway, 2010s is easily the best decade in gaming.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I'm old and have played games since the late 80's. For me games keep improving. So my answer is 2010's. My nostalgia is for 90's games, so I actually recall the 2000's least fondly

Oct 31, 2017
I'm old and have played games since the late 80's. For me games keep improving. So my answer is 2010's. My nostalgia is for 90's games, so I actually recall the 2000's least fondly
I too remember the '90s way more fondly than the 2000..
Then again the 2000 for me are on the bottom tier of the scale, for reason already pointed in previous posts.
'90s vs 2010s would be a far more fierce and debatable battle.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I think this would be better is split into 4 quarters instead on 2 halves. The early 2000's with the PS2 era was incredible but the latter portion of that decade wasn't good. The next decade wasn't good for the 1st 5 years or so weren't great but the last few years have been amazing. If you really think about it, it comes down to last gen being what is was. I think current gen and the PS2 era were better than last gen.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This needs to be corrected for age.

I think I just ultimately enjoyed the straightforward, no-nonsense nature of the 2000s and the (mostly obligate) focus on single player. Wrapping up the dreamcast/PS1/N64 era, the entire GC/PS2/Xbox era and then moving into the PS3/360/Wii era spanned a huge evolution in games but with constant amazing stuff along the way. To top it all off, the PC was really moving things forward during this time frame as well.

2010 on is still fantastic but the whole space is just so much more complex now.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2000s was better for me. In that span, we went from NEO GEO/PS1/N64/Saturn/Dreamcast which were all active at the start to Xbox 360/PS3/Wii to close out the decade. And we had 3 very incredible consoles in between. That's a ton of evolution.

So many memories, and so many innovations happened back then. Every 2-4 years, your mind was blown in ways that just don't happen today. It's not really a fair comparison.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
2000's I was a kid / high school / college, so the lack of adult responsibility is mighty enticing gaming wise.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
There's more choice in gaming than ever before, more ways to play, more unique games being produced... I don't see how anyone who isn't viewing things through rose tinted specs can say otherwise tbh.

The 90's stick out for me as the golden age of gaming, but in reality, it's because I was a teenager through those years, so it really skews things. If I look at it objectively, this gen is by far and away the best we've ever had.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
There is plenty to like in both decades, but my favorite genre is arcade racers, and the 00's were so much better in that regard.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is hard because the first half of the 2000s and the second half of the 2010s are better than the ten years in the middle of those for me overall.
Oh it's another 'how old are you' thread

In almost every case people's best gaming yasrs is regardless of quality and usually when they were 12-20
I was well over 20 for both these decades, and I'm still leaning towards the 2010s.

Last edited:

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Wow the 2000s was alright but it's so much better now. No nostalgia goggles here haha I'm kidding for example Psone era JRPG>>>>>>now

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
The 2000's without a doubt. Final Fantasy X, Knights of the Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Mass Effect to just name a few.
Most of the games that have impacted me most deeply came out during that decade.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
The 2000s had an amazing first half and a mediocre to downright bad second half.
The 2010s were all over the place, quality-wise, and went from bad to arguably worse in terms of the industry and some of its practices.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The 2000s had an amazing first half and a mediocre to downright bad second half.
The 2010s were all over the place, quality-wise, and went from bad to arguably worse in terms of the industry and some of its practices.
I agree with this sentiment.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
2000s. Mostly because I enjoyed a lot of the B-tier stuff from that era. Although playing it now on a modern TV is a pain in the fucking ass.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
It's a really tough call when dividing between decades. I loved gaming in the early 2000s on the PS2/Xbox, but I wasn't so happy about the PS3/360/Wii era. Don't get me wrong, I loved all the highlights of that gen like the rest of you, but I primarily love Japanese games, and there just wasn't enough for me between 2006-2009.

But with the 2010s I was blessed with the Persona Series, Xenoblade Chronicles, Yakuza, Final Fantasy XV, and Kingdom Hearts 3 among many other amazing games.

I feel that the in 2010s(particularly the later half), Western and Japanese games both big and small thrived. It really feels like anyone can be successful now. I think that's awesome.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I have a lot of Nostalgia for the 00's since I was smack dab in the middle of falling in love with games but, objectively speaking, I play way more games than I ever did back then. Part of that was me being a fickle kid but a big part of it is that I think games have never been better.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Personally, I spent 2000s first in high-school and then in Uni gaming on my parent's desktop and later my first laptop without a discrete GPU. I played some amazing games during this decade: Deus Ex, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, The Witcher, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cossacks, the SpellForce games, etc.

However, early on in 2010s I built my first PC. I've played a lot more games, including from previous decades. I was able to take full advantage of Steam sales to build up an amazing library, and then GOG re-introduced me to most of the games of my childhood again, but in a far more convenient digital format. The sheer variety of genres I've played in the last decade is nothing compared to my teens/early 20s when I was primarily an RTS junkie with a budding interest in immersive sims/RPGs (I started with Deus Ex, so my standards were always set low for graphics, but high for interesting gameplay).

If I had to pick a decade, I can't really analyze them "properly", because I nearly never played the games close to their actual release date. In terms of my experiences, 2010s is a better decade. But I'd be hard-pressed to say which games I played more there (I didn't play Half-Life games until like mid 2010s, either).