• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had a Supercard DSTWO. Way late after the DS was retired.

For some reason I didn't really enjoy playing games on the Supercard, and I went back to playing my carts individually.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I had a Supercard DSTWO. I actually bought it for my 3DS to play GBA games during the 3DS' early days. The only issue was I never owned a Nintendo DS and the DSTWO required original NDS hardware to update it's firmware and of course dump GBA titles. Thankfully my Aunt had a NDS and I would borrow it on occasion to dump my latest GBA games and update the DSTWO's firmware. I had to do this nearly every time Nintendo updated the 3DS firmware.

However, a few years after owning it, my Micro SD card died and I never bothered to buy a new one as the 3DS was in full swing at that point.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
R4 should have had a DS release. One of Namco's best games. I should go play my PlayStation copy...

....and, no, I didn't even know about these piracy carts.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had one, and one time the guy behind the counter at GameStop saw it and told me to hide it quick because the Nintendo rep was coming in any minute and would catch me with it! And that one of their co-workers had gone to "juvie" because they got busted with one. 😆

Also, I was like 26 while being told this. And the employee had to be in his early 20's himself.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I had m3 ds real. Which kicked ass I playing some home brew and emulators all the time. Then I got a dsi and never used it again ool

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
Not an R4, but an Acekard 2. Bought my DS during high school when I got a part time job. It was late in the lifecycle buy the games were way too expensive in my country. Later I got a SuperCard DS Two to run GBA games.

Only bought a DS because my mom's friend brought one from the US and it was way cheaper than buying here

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
So I was drunk on the train home to Yokohama one night and my DS must have fallen out of my bag or pocket or something because I sure didn't have it when I got home. I think I made my wife call the station at the end of the line to see if it had shown up, and as identifying information she told them that it had a R4 in it oops good thing the train police didn't tell the nintendo police

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
h0shXkm.png

I blindly ordered one of these bad boys, way back when it wasn't even known for sure if you could run DS games off them.
But if you had a passkey on the DS side you could actually load your GBA flashcart in NDS mode, and my mind was blown.
NndbD4U.png

So you looked like a complete idiot playing with these two tumors growing out of your system, but OMG I CAN PLAY TEH ROMS!

Obviously nothing of the above happened.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
No, I never was able to play games that I didn't own. I just always felt wrong doing it. Same reason I just can't get into emulators. I need to play it on the hardware it was designed for in a legal manner

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did once I found out what it was. Would play the Japanese pokemon games on it since they came out there first. But hey I was a kid so I didn't care lol.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Originally, no. Now, yes. Primarily because I wanted to play Ace Attorney Investigations 2. The legitimate way to play that game is to import a Japanese copy, rip it, apply the translation patch, and put the resulting translated rom on an R4 or something.

It was also a convenient way to hack my 3DS, so I could rip the game in the first place.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I got one recently for my 3DS so I could hack it. Now that it's homebrew enabled, I'm trying to learn how to stream with it on Twitch and Discord.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How else was I supposed to play the fan-translations of Ace Attorney Investigations 2, Chibi-Robo Clean Sweep and Retro Game Challenge 2?

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Got one. I have around a dozen rom hacks of NSMB DS. Way better than carrying around a case full of carts.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Back in the day not only I had an r4 but I also had a GBA one for the gba port

I don't own my ds anymore

Nov 4, 2017
I had a... supercard? Not sure that's the right name, but I think it started with "super".
I don't know, it was before the R4 was created. Loaded via the GBA port, it was a blue gba cart with an SD slot.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I completely forgot about these even though I used to be pretty involved in the community.

Remembering the Cyclo dominance, R4 and all of it's clones (TT/M3) coming onto market, the rush between cart developers in getting out support for the newest games. I reviewed a few flash carts as well and got to chat to a few firmware developers as a result to boot.

It was such a different time.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Admitting to piracy really shouldn't be a bannable offense. It was one of the dumbest rules on Gaf.
Are we gonna pretend everyone in this thread was into the homebrew scene? lol
Eh it's one thing to say
"OH YEAH IM LOVING DEATH STRANDING ON PF RIGHT NOW, REPACKED TORRENT WAS ONLY 5GB!"
Compared to "oh yeah I used to torrent games all the time some years ago".

I used to pirate games like a motherfucker back then, it was the "default" way to consume games, "culturally".
Nowadays I have my own money, easy and quick access to legal stores, and a better view on the value of things I don't pirate games anymore. It'd be ridiculous for ERA to ban someone "admitting" to something they used to do.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did have some kind of flashcart, not sure if it was R4 or something else. Nowadays I just use an Acekard2i.

rolltanksroll

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I went from owning ~40 DS games (including some imports) to liquidating and going full R4. I played alot of stuff, especially some killer tranlation patches.
My disposable income then went towards buying GameCube games, which I ripped and liquidated years later once I discovered wii softmodding. I've been largely legit ever since then - having a career helped a lot with that.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
no and i still buy DS stuff when i find a good deal. I knew a few people with those cards and they barely played anything. They never made an effort to acquire any of their games so they didn't perceive those games as valuable. It was all trash to them.

i need to find a way to play some fan translations in the future though.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
The R4 let us have the "digital future" a decade early. Your entire collection sat waiting to play on one storage device. No need to carry your games around, you can back up your saves to PC and you could run fan translations.

Everyone clutching their pearls about piracy. Why cut off your nose to spite your face just because others are scum? Just put the games on there that you own. That's what I did. My entire collection all sat safely in storage.

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I owned one, downloaded hundreds of games and barely played any of them.

Since then, I always buy my games and I enjoy it way more.

This. I was a software pirate from the days of the Spectrum but ive found that since I have got older and had kids I dont have the time to play as many games.
Rather than have all the hassle I just started buying games 10 years ago and ive enjoyed them so much more.
I had an R4 with stacks of games on it. Dont think I ever finished a single one.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I was 13-16 when I was playing DS. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to play many games on the system.

Not defending it, but most kids need to trade in games or pirate if you wanna play more than the couple of games you could get for birthday/Christmas.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Only reason I got a DS was due to the R4. Like some have said already, it actually lowers the enjoyment somewhat when you have access to so many games rather than focusing on 1 or 2 at once. I've had the same issues with Xbox Gamepass, weirdly.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I had a friend who pirated basically every game he ever owned for the DS. Personally, I wanted to own games the legit way.

I did eventually get an R4, but I've mostly used it for replaying games I wanted to replay, but didn't want to lose my original save files for. Very little homebrew.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
No. Never heard of them at the time.

I played on DS Lite for a year or so, and all my games were real cartridges.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Definitely when the clones hit the market I had a few. Some were sold for like $15 on eBay so it was a no-brainer.

I can't believe its been so long since I had my DS. I feel so old.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I had one. But I think it got patched out in an update because it doesn't work. I have a Gamepark 2X that was way better for emulation anyhow. I was cool for a few hours. But I lost interest.

Now that I have a Switch I haven't touched those in years. The neogeo games are all there to buy for a reasonable price and I like how NSO has a bunch of games there. I hope they add N64 games soon because I have been itching to play Mario Kart 64 lately but I don't have the ability to legally play it.