Which game deserved to be 2016's Game of the Year?

• Uncharted 4

Votes: 1,299 44.5%
  • Doom

Votes: 596 20.4%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 234 8.0%
  • Dark Souls 3

Votes: 257 8.8%
  • The Last Guardian

Votes: 183 6.3%
  • Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 76 2.6%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 275 9.4%

• Total voters

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
It is easily the best Uncharted and the best game of that year. Games like that help push forward the gaming industry.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
There's only one other game that deserved it and it's not on the list, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
No. We've been over the arguments ad nauseum, but I think DOOM should've been the winner due to how many people still gush over it today.

Edit: Holy shit, how can I forget about Titanfall 2 and Dishonoured 2. Then absolutely fuck no

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Are embedded videos allowed here? Because...

I could not get into it at all, gave up after four hours or so. I appreciate Naughty Dog's efforts and it is a beautifully crafted game for sure, but there were a ton of games that were way better that year in my opinion. My game of the year in 2016 was The Last Guardian followed by the likes of Doom, Dark Souls III, Inside, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Rez Infinite, Kirby: Planet Robobot, Ratchet & Clank etc.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. The pacing was dreadful and the gunplay was boring. I didn't enjoy it at all. I had more fun with Souls 3 and Doom.

Feb 26, 2018
You can argue about it being GOTY
And I dont understand people who didnt like tps mechanics in U4. They were fucking great

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
My top 3 from gaf that year were:
  1. Salt and Sanctuary
  2. Dark Souls 3
  3. Stardew Valley
My goty lists never line up.

Last edited:

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yes. Idk why ppl will not just let it go and accept that this game was critically acclaimed lol. It wasn't the GOTG or even the best in the series imo, but it was phenomenal.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So many people still voting for UC4. Seems like it's going to be the MGS4 of the generation. A mediocre release propped up by hype and fandom.

Doom is a better game in every way that matters.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the best Uncharted game but it was still the best game of 2016, no questions.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
the fantastic multiplayer pushed it slightly above Doom for me. while I have my problems with the sp campaign, the overall package was great.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
No. The moment I was pushing a dumpster on casters around a jungle to climb up to a higher level was the moment I realized how uninspired and copy/paste this had become.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Got bored of it about a third of the way through and traded it in. Standard, predictable Naughty Dog "experience".

Looking at the list in the poll there's at least three games better than it there, and I'd easily have Dark Souls 3 as the best of the lot.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Haven't played it so I can't say, but after playing Uncharted 1 and 2 after seeing the rabid reception to those (especially 2), I basically tune out any hype this series gets at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Uncharted 4 is my favorite of the series.

Buuuuut when you look at 2016, it's hard to argue against Titanfall 2. It just did everything at such an exceptionally high level that few games have ever reached.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Best in the franchise and it was ended perfectly. Not many franchises get to end on such a high note.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was a fantastic send of to Nathan Drake, I almost teared up at the end when Elena puts the photo in the diary. It's not perfect, but pretty damn near it.

And the freaking game is still unbeatable as far as animation and small little details in everything.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
My knee jerk reaction was no, but I honestly think it did deserve it. The closest competitor for me was Doom. Loved that game, but it gave me a crippling headache. I can't fault the game much for that, but it definitely had an effect on my enjoyment of it. Uncharted did deliver for me. I didn't think it would, but I liked it.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Can't tell you the last time I agreed with a GOTY award so that's a definite NO from me. Just far better games out there.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Sure did.

For me, games don't exist in a silo anymore like they used to as it pertains to my time. 33 now and games that are awesome but can fit in that 20hr-ish mark or less are way more attractive to me than the next 150hr open world game.

I love Assasin's Creed, loved Witcher 3 but I just struggle with those kind of commitments now.

I thought UC4 was brilliantly paced and a super engaging experience and I'll gladly pay $60 or maybe even a bit more in the hopes that those games continue to get made.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Doom was pretty close but being what it was it kinda went on a second place for me as I very much prefer a modern game to have a good story and good gameplay, not only one of these things.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So many people still voting for UC4.

Doom is a better game in every way that matters.

After all the forum hype and Doom sitting in my backlog for ages, I finally played it and was quite disappointed. I don't know if I may have simply been in the wrong mood for it at the time, but it was like the video game equivalent of heavy metal. Monotonous, relentless, repetitive and basically all shoot shoot bang bang with little else. I also found the level design slightly cumbersome to explore, and not particularly rewarding or visually interesting. Fast and hyper gory to me doesn't automatically mean better. I guess I've sort of grown out of this type of game, but again, I might have just been in the wrong mood for it.

Last edited:

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Poor The Last Guardian :(

I had more fun with any of these - Doom, TLG, DS III. Not sure which one would pick. Loved TLG, but framerate was crap and controls quite clunky. On the other hand Doom and DS III ran like a dream on PC.
Technically Uncharted 4 is big achievement for ND but it is one of the most tedious AAA games i played in a long time. i said ''fuck it, had enough of this shit'' during ''at sea'' (or whatever was the name) chapter. If U4 is anything to go by, i hope ND never do fully open world game.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Absolutely. Doom and maybe Overwatch are runners-up IMO.

TLG is great but it's not for everyone and FFXV? Hell no. Can't comment on DS3 because I've never played it.