• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Sony or anyone else stop posting gameplay material that will never happen?

• No, I like to believe in the dream and see the potential

Votes: 251 47.4%
  • Yes, I don't want to be lied to

Votes: 279 52.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Come on man, if anything, both games are looking better than their trailers. Tlou2 is like a sneak peek at the next-gen and GoT is like the most beautiful game ever made.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
The TLOU II "downgrades" mainly come from 2 things: 1) Animations not playing out as buttery smooth in most normal gameplay (they're still the gold standard), with a couple of the ones showcased being removed. First part is a normal consequence of what normal gameplay entails (if I dodge like a moron at the wrong time, it shouldn't look smooth), second is most likely a decision that comes from how said animations would play out. Getting stuck on a hard surface while dodging to show off a pretty animation would look good but might get the player killed.

2) Some differences in how the lighting system works and ennemies not having models as detailed and distinct as the ones in the vertical slice. First part is likely a mix of artistic choices (some of which look better) and performance cuts, second part is also logical, why wouldn't they put their best character models in a trailer?

At the end of the day, 99% of the tech showcased is there and in motion the game looks just as good, and better than any other game on the market. Calling it a downgrade is a huge exaggeration.

Ghost of Tsushima is clearly a case of Sucker Punch trying to punch above their weight class (as a "smaller" studio) for a vertical slice and having to scale down their ambitions for the entire world to look as good as possible. Again, the tech showcased (lighting, particles, foliage, draw distance, ...) is in the final game, and looks stunning most of then time, but cuts were made. It's a downgrade, but nowhere near as huge as Watch Dogs was.

Both games got close enough to what we saw of them before for me to believe that the intent wasn't to straight up lie (like Ubi has done in the past), but a matter of setting the bar a little bit too high.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Is this some kind of a joke thread? Hasn't it been proven that TLOUSII released with better graphics than the ones shown during development? Same for pretty much ALL Sony titles. Every time there is a downgrade thread that immediately gets debunked.

I'm not sure about GoT's situation but it's definitely not some kind of Sony's habit.

I won't even bother commenting on the poll options.

Hmmm I think not with TLOU2. Not quite as good as the initial footage but close enough. With GOT is that a different time of day or something? Looks very different.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, imagine trying to pull The Last of Us Part 2 into this. The game looks largely the same, and actually better in some areas, as per the Digital Foundry analysis.

The worst downgrade this gen was The Witcher 3, but y'all just pretend that didn't happen because it's The Witcher 3.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Both games still look highly impressive. Watch Dogs looked like shit even on a PC. There is a difference between what Ubisoft was doing and what Sony is accomplishing here. I wouldn't label it as a downgrade.

What you would then label graphical downgrade that isn't graphical downgrade, or we just jumping some hoops to give Sony 1st party pass?

W_D and TW3 were dragged hard here for "game ruining graphical downgrades" even when, especially latter, both still looked good for their time.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
the end of the day, 99% of the tech showcased is there and in motion the game looks just as good, and better than any other game on the market. Calling it a downgrade is a huge exaggeration.
3rd) they clearly used cutscene models during gameplay in their real time gameplay demos, which were downgraded in the final game. The game still looks incredible, but nobody can deny it got downgraded. Accept the fact.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These threads really get me in the mood to game.
because they're so boring and petty that I don't even wanna stay logged in

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
tenor.gif

There isn't even effort put into these awful threads anymore, what in the fuck happened to this forum in the last year?

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't understand how Tlou2 can run on ps4 hardware, it's phenomenal. And you forgot to mention the cutscene that was upgraded. So I'm not gonna complain over that...

When games are showed years in advance, things will change, for the better or worse. That's how it will always be.
The only solution is to not show games in advance, which is not always viable.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Let's be honest a second, people don't care As long if it's not from Ubisoft and we know that resetera has a very strong Sony vibes so...

no matter what publishers is doing it, they need to stop, just show what the game really looks like and we'll be good

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I haven't watched TLoU2 video, but I saw the GoT one yesterday and yes, definite downgrade. Fine looking game, sure. Does not look like its reveal tho.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the games don't look as good as an earlier demo I think it's a mistake to want one without the other.

I don't think Watch Dogs looks as good as it does without the early demo. Same with The Division. Same with Anthem, or Ghost of Tsushima, or The Last of Us Part 2.

They're throwing their bag over the fence before knowing if they can climb it. They won't always reach the top but they'll go higher than they would otherwise.

I think the issue is people dismissing downgrade talk - 'oh, this again'. That's the disincentive to 'false' visuals. The Division doesn't get full credit for how good it looks because it didn't live up to the demo, but it's still an amazing looking game - that's the cost.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Both still look awesome and I won't say whether or not they have passed Ubisoft but this needs to stop regardless. Can't stand this misleading stuff.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, I love GoT and think it's beautiful but that is a big downgrade. The trees...

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest a second, people don't care As long if it's not from Ubisoft and we know that resetera has a very strong Sony vibes so...

no matter what publishers is doing it, they need to stop, just show what the game really looks like and we'll be good
Surprised it took this long to get to "Era leans Sony!" fanboy nonsense.

Those videos are what the games really looked like at the time. The solution is just not to show the game at all until near launch, but people moan about that too.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
When games are showed years in advance, things will change, for the better or worse. That's how it will always be.
The only solution is to not show games in advance, which is not always viable.
You are correct that things can change, but should we give a studio years into current gen the doubt that they didn't know their cutscene models won't work during gameplay on PS4? They knew about this imo and still used them. That's not a artistic difference it's a downgrade in TLOU2

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"b..but The Witcher 3 was criticized why aren't people being mean to this game as well?"

giphy.gif

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Can we wait for DF and NX Gamer analyses for Ghost of Tsushima before jumping to conclusions? Tiny compressed Youtube comparisons are hard to directly compare. DF analyses usually give full context, such as lighting or artistic changes, variable dynamic time and weather changes or straight up missing graphical effects or features.

DF analysis has shown that TLOU2 has aspects that were missing in the final game, AND aspects that were changed artistically and other aspects that were upgrades as well.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

DF has a very strong Sony vibe too? Both games are impressive.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

You realise game design is constantly changing right ? The only solution is to reveal the game closer to release. That, or we can all stop acting like this is the only gameplay footage released prior to launch.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Think Witcher 3 downgrade or Ubisoft. I am not ok with the way Sony is overhyping graphics and then downgrading them at launch, Ghost of Tsushima is another title that seems to be downgraded after TLOU2

Worse motion blur, worse lighting, worse shadows

Especially disappointed with the character models in TLOU2

Sony was not like this previously this gen with GoW and Horizon, hoping they are not lying to us with PS5 games too because they already do not impress as "next gen".

Low effort thread and poll. Good job?

Status
Not open for further replies.