• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I enjoyed Unleashed in spite of its many flaws, but I'm not gonna blame people for being turned off by the Werehog. It was dumb on paper and dumb in practice.

That said the stupid jazzy Werehog battle theme was the most annoying part. I actually like Eggmanland just because it doesn't have it (and despite the cheap insta-death everywhere, Eggmanland is aesthetically top-tier for Sonic levels).

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The best way to play unleashed is to buy sonic generations on pc and install the unleashed mod so that you just get the speed stages.

generations and mania and like the only games I've wanted to play from sonic in the last 10 years. That's a pretty horrific ratio

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best way to play unleashed is to buy sonic generations on pc and install the unleashed mod so that you just get the speed stages.

generations and mania and like the only games I've wanted to play from sonic in the last 10 years. That's a pretty horrific ratio

Those are the only 2 I beat. And the only ones I would classify as solid. Mania I even consider the best 2d platform game of all time. Generations I sadly didn't play on PC, I think its better suited for 60fps.

SA2 HD though was nice as well. Expected to utterly hate it like I did SA1 HD. But I played on and on and beat the entire thing. There is a good game in there.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, no. It was a very flawed game but I appreciated what Sonic Team were trying to do. I'd rather play Unleashed than Forces.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Unleashed had the best setting and aesthetics of any 3D Sonic game. The Hedgehog graphical engine was gorgeous they finally designed humans with similar proportions to the anthropomorphic cartoony Sonic gang.

The game itself was just okay and I don't believe it has been unfairly received. I'm still disappointed that they tossed out the setting for subsequent games.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Cut all the slow level aka the night and sell it at £30 it would had done alot better 80% of the time you playing the night level and the music for them are so bad

every time you fight you hear this

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the game was rated quite harshly. Sure a lot of the content was trash, but it didn't deserve the lower ratings.

The daytime stages were amazing, and was definitely the right step for 3D Sonic to go after Shadow and '06.

Unleashed was a great foundation for future titles too. Generations felt like it improved the boost mechanic anyway.

Forces was such a downgrade that i fear Sega will abandon the formula and start again.

I'll mention the Sonic 2020 fan game, which feels like a solid mix of Adventure 2 and Unleashed. If fans can make this...there really is no excuse from Sonic Team anymore

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Thought it went from mediocre to decent depending of the level. It's a solid 5-6/10 game for me, i'd hardly call it a bad game but it's just a forgettable experience which could have been far better.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, pretty much. The werewolf bits are bad and day stages are just standard mediocre modern 3D sonic where you basically just hold the boost button and jump occasionally. It's from the school of sonic games that don't understand that sonic was a fairly moderately paced platformer where speed was a reward for learning the levels and playing well rather than just holding a button to go fast at all times and try to not fall into a boredom induced coma.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It only seems better in hindsight because of how lackluster the series has been since Generations. Having said that, it definitely feels like Unleashed was the last time they gave Sonic a proper budget.

it absolutley was, unleashes didnt perform as they wanted and it caused sega to kill the budgets for 3d sonic games. The hedgehog engine was particularly expensive too

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Cut all the slow level aka the night and sell it at £30 it would had done alot better 80% of the time you playing the night level and the music for them are so bad

every time you fight you hear this

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I'll give you the battle theme being meh and overused, but the Night stages themes are just the best part of the OST.

This shit is just so good.

And not forgetting the hubs night music too

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's from the school of sonic games that don't understand that sonic was a fairly moderately paced platformer where speed was a reward for learning the levels
Unleashed day stages don't try to be that "moderately paced platform". It tries to be its own think just like 3D Mario has 64 and Galaxy styles.
And learn the levels still gives you the "speed bonus". And learning them is a joy, just like the classic ones.

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
I love pretty much the entirety of that game but yeah you could have just cut the size of the werehog levels in half.

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh...it 100% deserved all of it's negative reviews.
Unleashed is a game that forces the player to endure a drawn-out shallow beat 'em up game with a slow-moving clunky character, basic unimaginative platforming, banal puzzle design, and zero enemy variety all for the sole purpose of padding out the game. It tries desperately to be classic God of War but ends up feeling like a lesser version of that LEGO Star Wars from 2005. And lets not forget the incredibly repetitive battle music that blares over the unique tunes whenever you encounter a group of enemies...UGH!

It also further pads itself out with tedious medal hunting, where the player is forced to explore frivolous hub-worlds with either a clunky 3D Sonic that controls like ass at normal speed, or a big dumb warehog that moves like molasses no matter how fast you go.
The game also pulls another unnecessarily intrusive move by sometimes forcing the player to go all the way back to Spagonia to talk with Professor Pickle before they can start a new level. Like these aren't big cutscenes or anything, he just talks to you with text bubbles.
In addition to this the game forces the player participate in random 6 minute long flight levels featuring brain-dead QTE shooting mechanics that make Sonic Adventure's Tornado sub-game look like Star Fox 64. Its embarrassing.

And when the player FINALLY gets to the fun part, high-speed action platforming, its not uncommon for those sections to run at, like, 15fps. They also feature too many simplistic repetitive QTE segments, and really cheap deaths. They also have conveyance issues; Sonic goes so fast that the level assets often begin to blend together making it hard to know where one is going. An issue that ranges from kind of annoying because you've only been stopped by a random pillar or something, to downright frustrating because you've hit a wall over a deadly body of water.
And 10 YEARS after Adventure 1 the homing attack and light speed dash are still unacceptably unreliable, often careening players to their doom for no discernible reason.

I will never understand the "unfairly maligned classic" narrative that Sonic fans have given to it over the years. The best thing it ever did for the series was giving us Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, that's it. Oh, yeah, and the music was dope but that's kind of a free space on the bingo card for Sonic.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
How is it on XBox BC? I heard it was enhanced quite well. Being able to play the older Sonic's on console is one XSX incentive for me. I tried playing this again on PSNow and... nope, this is not a game for streaming.

Meanwhile, PC Generations with the Unleashed Project mod is outstanding and fully recommended.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks - would indeed be interesting to see.

Jungle Joyride on X360 was like playing a flipbook.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
The game had like 5 hours of great content and 20 hours of mediocre content. It was doomed to get bad reviews but reviewers didn't even give the game a chance. Even if the game was just the day levels and the werehog didn't exist I think the game would have reviewed poorly just cause reviewers were in the mindset of "Sonic is garbage and always will be" having just come off Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, and Secret Rings.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's a low 7. While the mandatory medal hunting sucks and the wherehog levels are very mediocre(they get better with upgrades), there are enough detail and care put in to the overworlds it sometimes blows my mind how abitious the game actutally is. The daytime stages are still the best ones designed around the "boost" formula. They are fantastic even.

Jul 17, 2019
Not at all. And thankfully it's been vindicated. I already loved the game so much it's my favorite in the series, but it gave birth to my favorite scene in the franchise. That moment Sonic went "Do I need a reason to want to help out a friend?" still gets me to this day. I love it so much and was crying from joy...

Then began to repeatedly slam my head in my bed when I saw how Sonic was characterized in the proceeding game.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That said the stupid jazzy Werehog battle theme was the most annoying part. I actually like Eggmanland just because it doesn't have it (and despite the cheap insta-death everywhere, Eggmanland is aesthetically top-tier for Sonic levels).
I love Eggmanland as well. You can even evade some werehog battles, no jazz music, visually is awesome and it had a fair amount of alternative paths.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. And thankfully it's been vindicated. I already loved the game so much it's my favorite in the series, but it gave birth to my favorite scene in the franchise. That moment Sonic went "Do I need a reason to want to help out a friend?" still gets me to this day. I love it so much and was crying from joy...

Then began to repeatedly slam my head in my bed when I saw how Sonic was characterized in the proceeding game.

Damn, that other person wasn't kidding when they said you were going around bumping old threads solely because you slyly wanted to let people know you hated colours.