• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping they'd change this origin from the original webcomic but considering they've added in a ton of extra stupid shit in the redrawn version I'm not that surprised. The whole 1000 year old dragon thing gets more than a little uncomfortable with Tatsumaki especially since Murata draws her like we're gonna get an upskirt shot every other panel.

Didn't From Bonus Chapter vol 4 or 5 (Before Go Fight Deep Sea King)
he volunteers to get in the prisons and the worst thing he does to other prisoners is force kiss?

Considering the reaction most people, including other prisoners have of him, I'm gonna guess "forced kiss" is just a code word for something else.

Last edited:

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
I just finished reading this chapter. I couldn't believe my eyes when you saw him as a young boy.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I read this a while back in the original web comic, so I was waiting for this day to come since most One Punch Man readers read/watch the Murata version (I'm sure the anime version that can be shared in gifs on social media will get stronger reactions online).

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
This seems pretty indefensible and I say that as someone who's a huge fan of the Murata version. This isn't even the first time he had shit like this in one of his works. "Black people have superior muscles" from Eyeshield 21 comes to mind.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
All of his dialogue sounds like it was written by a 60 year old white business man in 1996.

"Awwww HELL naw", "son", "bruh", "homie" etc etc etc.

At one point they cram about 5 of these into one sentence and it sounds like parody.

People defend it and claim it's not racially insensitive because a black voice actor reads these lines but makes me really uncomfortable that they treat one of the only black characters in that massive city like a tired stereotype.
Sounds like whoever is handling the dub took liberties. I don't believe his dialog is like that in the manga or the bit of the sub I just checked out.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute, if his power comes from training, like Saitama, and he even goes bald from training, like Saitama, why didn't he become a second One Punch Man?

The in-universe explanation is that Saitama had such a low potential that doing the most basic of exercise routines pushed him over his limit (essentially the baseline wherein you become unbeatable busted trash) into OP territory, and other heroes had a higher potential baseline and as such didn't break their limits. The actual explanations is that it's a gag manga.

On Topic: I get the joke they were going for with a Bodybuilder tan taken to it's absolute extreme (like everything in this series is) but it's still in bad taste. They had the opportunity with the redraw to fix it, and it IS a simple fix. Just make him start as a scrawny black kid and play up the shine aspect. To be fair the shininess aspect of him does show off way better in the manga rather than in the anime but man they really should have changed it.

Nov 17, 2017
I do not even remember the webcomic giving him a background at all... I just thought he was a black guy with really big muscles...Hell, does OPM even have any black characters now?
Not that I can think of but honestly even when I thought the character was just black it's still such a racist caricature of a design. Him not actually being black just adds another layer of awful.

Nov 17, 2017
The in-universe explanation is that Saitama had such a low potential that doing the most basic of exercise routines pushed him over his limit (essentially the baseline wherein you become unbeatable busted trash) into OP territory, and other heroes had a higher potential baseline and as such didn't break their limits. The actual explanations is that it's a gag manga.

On Topic: I get the joke they were going for with a Bodybuilder tan taken to it's absolute extreme (like everything in this series is) but it's still in bad taste. They had the opportunity with the redraw to fix it, and it IS a simple fix. Just make him start as a scrawny black kid and play up the shine aspect. To be fair the shininess aspect of him does show off way better in the manga rather than in the anime but man they really should have changed it.
I don't think making him a black kid in the backstory fixes the actual design though. It merely removes him being blackface in the context of the manga world but he's still a black caricature to readers.

That's besides the fact that I get pretty tired of a lot of black characters in Japanese fiction being massive, musclebound brute that dwarf the other characters.

1210190-bigthumbnail.jpg

Final-Fantasy-VII.jpg
6255763-5kage.jpg

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Yep, it's been known for a while now. It's weird and not funny at all. Having a black superhero even in such a stereotypical fashion was kinda cool. For it to turn out to be blackface is just disappointing.
But ONE was quite a bit more immature when he wrote this character and joke. Don't know if he would still write it like that knowing the history of it.

But it does show the ignorance and carelessness japanese people have about black people.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing Blackface
I don't see any ill intent, if anything, he became more awesome in his final form.

Yeah, I fucked up. I'm sincerely sorry.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they didn't change the backstory for him so that he always had a dark skin tone when they had the chance. If the anime gets a season 3, it'll probably make it in to that too now...

I don't think that's quite it either. The limiter thing is a misdirection at best, mostly.

OPM basically runs off how strong you believe you are is how strong you can get. Saitama strongly believed in his goal that he would be the strongest hero, and that his training regimen is what you needed to do to become the strongest hero, so he ended up there. He can't get out of there because he still believes he's completely unbeatable.

This applies to everyone, for instance, why Mumen rider is stuck at the top of C class. He doesn't believe he could be any better than a C rank hero, and so that's where he plateaued. Boros also believed he was unbeatable except for the challenge he was told he would find on Earth, which when faced with saitama who believes he can never have a challenge, he didn't stand a chance.

It's also why in the chapter being discussed here, it explicitly says that Darkshines goal wasn't to be an unbeatable hero, and in a prior one, Darkshine only started to lose because doubt entered his mind that could win.

So when they say stuff about the limiter, it's actually more about what the person believes they can do rather than anything else.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's quite it either. The limiter thing is a misdirection at best, mostly.

OPM basically runs off how strong you believe you are is how strong you can get. Saitama strongly believed in his goal that he would be the strongest hero, and that his training regimen is what you needed to do to become the strongest hero, so he ended up there. He can't get out of there because he still believes he's completely unbeatable.

This applies to everyone, for instance, why Mumen rider is stuck at the top of C class. He doesn't believe he could be any better than a C rank hero, and so that's where he plateaued.

It's also why in the chapter being discussed here, it explicitly says that Darkshines goal wasn't to be an unbeatable hero, and in a prior one, Darkshine only started to lose because doubt entered his mind that could win.

So when they say stuff about the limiter, it's actually more about what the person believes they can do rather than anything else.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from, but the limiter thing very much is a real concept in the OPM world, if you've read the webcomic

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks, I was hoping ONE would've changed that for the manga release. He had 2 years to give him a non terrible backstory.

Jun 22, 2019
How is this remotely surprising when OPM has that prison guy hero and it's heavily implied he rapes the other prisoners of his "harem" for comic relief?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I like OPM but there are a bunch of weird WTF things about some character backstories. Like Puri Puri Prisoner and now Darkshine.

It sucks, since I like everything else about Darkshine as a character.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think making him a black kid in the backstory fixes the actual design though. It merely removes him being blackface in the context of the manga world but he's still a black caricature to readers.

That's besides the fact that I get pretty tired of a lot of black characters in Japanese fiction being massive, musclebound brute that dwarf the other characters.

1210190-bigthumbnail.jpg

Final-Fantasy-VII.jpg
6255763-5kage.jpg
Hrm. I never noticed this pattern before, but now that you've shown these examples, a handful of others are coming to mind.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hrm. I never noticed this pattern before, but now that you've shown these examples, a handful of others are coming to mind.
It should be noted that in each of the series in that post you can find more examples of black characters that aren't that archetype.

Edit: Hold up! On a completely different note, I think all 3 of those charcters lose their right arm at some point.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like whoever is handling the dub took liberties. I don't believe his dialog is like that in the manga or the bit of the sub I just checked out.
For me it was just how angry and aggressive he was. I was thinking "why is the first black guy introduced so fucking angry?" He got better though.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this thread is a grave yard. Also not cool
One punchmin. I liked that show but i feel way less inclined to watch it now. Fucked up and unnecessary

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's fucking shameless.

You know who makes good black characters? Okubo
40185802f8b7b488b03a3738a48f0766.jpg

Shame they get little screen time

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

1210190-bigthumbnail.jpg

Final-Fantasy-VII.jpg
6255763-5kage.jpg
At least we also had Omoi, Darui, Karui and his assistant
Bleach also had Tosen

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Yeah thats pretty indefensible. His initial design already is pretty sketchy at best, but the "twist" really makes this just fucked up.

Nov 9, 2017
One of the most offensive things I have ever seen in anime is a extremely poorly portayed young black woman named Haguro Kuroko in the anime "Majikoi Oh Samurai Girls" on Hulu. She is effectively labeled a rapist and every male character expresses extreme disgust when she is on screen.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I honestly couldn't believe what I saw when I read it. I guess I can chalk it up to ignorance, but someone should at least inform ONE...

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
One of the most offensive things I have ever seen in anime is a extremely poorly portayed young black woman named Haguro Kuroko in the anime "Majikoi Oh Samurai Girls" on Hulu. She is effectively labeled a rapist and every male character expresses extreme disgust when she is on screen.

Just googled that. Oof, thats as bad as you describe. It sad to see that this seems to be a habit in manga and anime. Terraformars is probably even worse, its just absolutely vile.