Which game deserved to be 2012's Game of the Year?

• Journey

Votes: 134 38.4%
  • The Walking Dead Season 1

Votes: 35 10.0%
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Votes: 31 8.9%
  • Sleeping Dogs

Votes: 28 8.0%
  • Dishonored

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Mass Effect 3

Votes: 29 8.3%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 56 16.0%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
NOTE: This thread was deleted and then restored, and the poll was reset in the process. Initial poll results can be seen here.

Welcome to part 5 of the Community GOTY Revisited series, where we take a look back at the top games of past GOTY results threads from the other site and decide if the community got it right. See also the 2016, 2014, 2011, and 2006 editions.

Today's year is 2012, which resulted in the closest GOTY vote in the community's history, with Journey winning by a mere 17 points over The Walking dead (1080 vs. 1063). The critics' choices show a similar lack of consensus; though The Walking Dead won a plurality, 2012 had a wider field than any other year in terms of competitiveness, with nine different games winning at least 20 awards (more games won at least 1 award in 2014, but Dragon Age, the #1 for 2014, won by a much larger margin than TWD did in 2012.)

2012 is widely agreed to be a transition year for the industry, as both the Xbox 360 and PS3 were clearly in decline, but no next-gen consoles were out yet, save the Wii U (which did not light the world on fire.) There was also a conspicuous lack of big AAA critical darlings this year, leading to an unusual emphasis on smaller (if not exactly "indie"--Journey was Sony-published, after all) games that would probably not have been recognized in any other year.

So, in the context of 2012 being an "off year" in terms of megabudget games, which game deserved the GOTY? Personally, I enjoyed Journey for what it was, though it did not really stick with me after the 90 or so minutes it took me to complete it. Felt a bit too slight for me to consider it the best game of the year. The Walking Dead is, I feel, one of the most overrated games of the decade, a real technical disaster (awful framerate, game breaking bugs etc.) with no excuses considering how dated the engine was even in 2012, and how little interactivity there was in the game. The story was, like, fine for a zombie game, I guess, but still pretty standard set of tropes, and it didn't even really live up to the promise of your choices mattering, since the game railroads almost everything toward a single conclusion anyway. Mass Effect 3 was a considerable disappointment to me, nowhere near as enjoyable as 2, which was my 2010 GOTY. So, that brings things down to XCOM, Sleeping Dogs, and Dishonored, none of which would have been my choice in another year, but they were all at least good. I'm going with XCOM here, since I played that one the most, though the "another game" option is awfully tempting.

As usual, I've taken the six choices in the poll directly from the GOTY results thread on the other site. These are the top 6 as voted by the community back in 2006.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it did, it was a unique experience that touched a lot of people. Nothing else in that year competed. Every aspect of it was near perfect, and it didn't outstay its welcome at all. Absolute masterpiece of a game.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
XCOM was the best out of this bunch. A shame it was exclusive to pc and console gamers didn't get to experience it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
To be totally honest with my gaming tastes that was slim pickings that year. I need to look at a list of games that came out to see which was my favorite. Journey was a cool experience, but it's far too simple for me to view it as the best game of a year.

Edit;
I'm seeing that Dragons Dogma came out in 2012. I vote for that epic journey.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored is Arkane's gift to humanity. For me, that will always be the greatest game that year, in terms of mechanics and overall design. Sleeping Dogs is perhaps the most entertaining game of 2012 and Journey the most progressive or profound.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Yes.

It's a game that even when short, it has stayed with me for years. I can easily recall my feelings with I reached the end, and walked towards the light with an unknown companion chirping happily at my side.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
Having played through Journey twice now, I still don't get the appeal. It's beautiful and is a great art piece, but I didn't find it to be particularly fun to play.

I may also be heavily biased towards Sleeping Dogs on that list, because that game is still one of my favourite open-world games.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
it's a shame it's a playstation exclusive, would love to play this portable on my Switch. Played the remaster on PS4 a while back though

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dragon's Dogma whomps everything on this list with unparalleled action-RPG gameplay. Journey is way too vague of a game to be in real contention here, many other indie and indie-like games way outshine it.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I loved dishonoured an xcom, but I think journey was really unique and a well deserved winner.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Looking at how quiet the PC release was & how it wouldn't be quiet if the game was something truly great, im going to say probably not, it seemed to come out during the indie craze & people mistook this for an indie game due to it's visuals & really promoted it something fierce.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
my problem with Journey was how pointless the multiplayer was.

there wasn't a single thing that required more than one person to accomplish, and the game didn't make solo puzzles suddenly require 2 people if someone else joined. that and you couldn't disable it without turning off your internet connection, so i was constantly annoyed with randos joining and dropping while i was trying to play a beautiful game by myself like i wanted. then to see all of this praise in reviews and articles about how amazing the multiplayer experience was just blew my mind.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Okay, we've literally had this thread before. I get the appeal in relitigating this stuff, but that Mass Effect 3 thread was like four days ago. 2012 was a great year, and the obvious correct answer of which game was best is Sleeping Dogs.

Edit - I see I was right.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I can't decide between XCOM or Crusader Kings 2. Both are legendary games...

I'll give CK2 the nod.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
my problem with Journey was how pointless the multiplayer was.

there wasn't a single thing that required more than one person to accomplish, and the game didn't make solo puzzles suddenly require 2 people if someone else joined. that and you couldn't disable it without turning off your internet connection, so i was constantly annoyed with randos joining and dropping while i was trying to play a beautiful game by myself like i wanted. then to see all of this praise in reviews and articles about how amazing the multiplayer experience was just blew my mind.

I agree with this. Seeing someone else enter your game and using a series of chirps to communicate elicited a "heh, neat" from me, but thats about it. I didn't think it was that great.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's Walking Dead BY FAR.
I liked twd a lot when I played it but subsequent telltale games ruined it for me since I discovered that choice didn't really matter. I thought they did a great job masking that initially but with repeated plays or by playing other telltale games you could discover this.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Journey definitely earned its title, I will never forget that experience.

Dishonored does give it a run for its money though, and Sleeping Dogs was a great ride as well

I liked twd a lot when I played it but subsequent telltale games ruined it for me since I discovered that choice didn't really matter. I thought they did a great job masking that initially but with repeated plays or by playing other telltale games you could discover this.

They laid their shortcomings bare right in the first season, no hindsight needed. That "puzzle" with the batteries, followed by choosing which character to save in episode 1 only to pull the car over two episodes later and shoot that character in the face for no reason. It was a good story but it was a terrible game and not a good TV show

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Yes. And nothing came close.
tumblr_mfx2udoWIg1rji5sno1_500.gif

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm in the minority with my enthusiasm for this game, but Kid Icarus: Uprising is a goddamn masterpiece.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not the greatest year, but for me, yes, I'd still give it to Journey. A small title, but a largely flawless one.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Waste of money that game was. Finished it in 30 minutes and was close to calling for a refund. Most expensive screensaver ever. I never met anyone either and the credits told me there were like 10 people I played with. Made getting that multiplayer trophy almost impossible when I was replaying it just kinda hoping something spawns and then I just glued myself to them.

Flower is still the only good thing to come out of that studio. At least that lasted more than a TV episode and was fun with a clear environmentalist message.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
How is Borderlands 2 not on the poll? That was a brilliant game. My pick for GOTY.

Journey is still pretty good though.

Nov 1, 2017
Out of everything on that list for sure it should have been Journey. It's one of the most special and wonderful gaming experiences of my life, it's a go-to game i use as an example if anyone ever tries to tell me games aren't art. Austin Wintory did an amazing job on the soundtrack too.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Yes. And nothing came close.
tumblr_mfx2udoWIg1rji5sno1_500.gif

Out of everything on that list for sure it should have been Journey. It's one of the most special and wonderful gaming experiences of my life, it's a go-to game i use as an example if anyone ever tries to tell me games aren't art. Austin Wintory did an amazing job on the soundtrack too.

Journey not only look amazing, it has one the greatest soundtracks ever:

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I still remember getting goosebumps by the end of the game, and only a select few games had that effect on me. Such a beautiful and emotional experience.