• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
So, why are social media personalities in front of a congressional committee over consulting work?

It wasn't over the "consulting work" obviously, why would the Republicans want that out there when the best these two can do is lie about it.
The Republicans brought them in because Diamond and Silk claim "Facebook is censoring them"... with zero evidence obviously but given all the Facebook - Cambridge Analytica - Trump campaign stuff, this was an effort to make the Facebook backlash narrative about "leftist Facebook censors conservative voices."

See:
I heard them on Sean Hannity saying that Facebook had censored their page. I immediately checked and, shockingly, no they hadn't.
The amount of time and effort conservatives put into playing the victim has really gone into overdrive now that they control all the elected parts of the federal government

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I feel fortunate that I had no idea what this was about and had to google who they were.

At first I thought there was a company that sold Diamonds and Silk or that mods had changed someone's name in the thread title for the lols.

I'm just too old to follow or care about these "social media" personalities so guess but I'm probably in the minority considering they are testifying today...
I think their audience skews older - they get pushed by Fox a lot.
I was just reading the comments on the video feed for the congressional hearing that they posted on their facebook page, and their audience also appears to be made up of the dumbest people alive. Like, imagine the biggest idiots you see commenting on right wing YouTube videos and Twitter threads and double the stupid.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Did that say "Lord Trump" in one of those vids?

These women always annoyed me. I remember seeing them popping up pre-election talking about how they love Trump is always "tellin' it like it is" and how he's good for Black people. Urgh.
They did... they really did. More than once, at that.

Just two more useful idiots for Trump and the GOP.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord. Haven't seen someone that defiant while lying to a congress member's face.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
They did... they really did. More than once, at that.

Just two more useful idiots for Trump and the GOP.
Pretty sure that was "Miss Laura Trump" if I heard it right. Probably referencing Lara Trump, but honestly I don't know or care enough to dig any deeper into this.

Either way, this is a great example of someone digging themselves into a legal hole that had no reason to exist in the first place. When you find yourself testifying in court, just tell the truth the first time you're asked. What did they have to lose here?

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to their diction was cringe worthy.

Was she trying to say "Substantiate"

Nov 1, 2017
I remember seeing someone on my page post these jackasses after I called trump voters racist as if it was done major rebuttal. Broke up that bubble real quick by repeating it for their friends and Kanye.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol at the dude two seats down at the 1:00 mark.
Lol thought the same thing

giphy.gif

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
I feel fortunate that I had no idea what this was about and had to google who they were.

At first I thought there was a company that sold Diamonds and Silk or that mods had changed someone's name in the thread title for the lols.

I'm just too old to follow or care about these "social media" personalities so guess but I'm probably in the minority considering they are testifying today...

Having never heard of a title like that myself, I ended up doing the same thing and googled it. Social media personalities are here today, and gone tomorrow. It's not that we are old friend, we have more important things to worry about. Next week I'll be another *social personality* uprising etc.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Diamond and Silk? Where does Trump these clowns lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't trust women who have drawn in eyebrows. They don't even trust their own eyebrows to do the job.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty clear that they don't view a reimbursement as payment.

If the Trump campaign had purchased the tickets and given them to Diamond and Silk would it still be considered a payment in this context?
This. If i buy a plane ticket for work and have it reimbursed through our expense system, it does not show up on my w-2 as income.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
This. If i buy a plane ticket for work and have it reimbursed through our expense system, it does not show up on my w-2 as income.

My job does the same and it would be considered a work related reimbursement.

This is different.

If your business had a motivational speaker come and speak to the companies staff, and only covered the cost of travel I don't know if they would have to count that as income. However, there is a legitimate argument that they should because they got a free trip to do it.

HorrorFanStab

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Linking to questionable video channels.
In this video they talk about it being a "reimbursement" for plane tickets.

Mod Edit: The video in the OP provides context without the Alt Right narrative from a questionable YouTube channel

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Reimburse means to pay back
And when you Pay back some one, the recipient receives the corresponding noun: Payment

The question wasn't weather Zirconia & Polyester received net income from the Trump campaign, it was whether they received payment.

And basically, by definition they did. Now as to whether this would pursued as perjury would be another matter. They may claim they just mistook what the congressman said as income

The long and short of it was they were caught with their pants down, and even still, they were indignant during the process. The whole hearing was a farce, and a waste of taxpayer money.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The video in the OP does that already and it isn't on some questionable YouTube channel that will fuck up everyone's recommendations.
That poster didn't bother to watch the videos in the OP, read the text in the tweets, or even read the thread. Instead, that poster felt the need to drop a video about how Rep. Jeffries Black congressman was OBLITERATED.

Ahahaha.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The video in the OP does that already and it isn't on some questionable YouTube channel that will fuck up everyone's recommendations.
Questionable is putting it lightly.
Funny how the title of the video actually says "Black Congressman". Not "Congressman" or the Congressman's name (Hakeem Jeffries), but "Black Congressman".

I don't trust women who have drawn in eyebrows. They don't even trust their own eyebrows to do the job.

Reminds me of this line from Once Upon a Time in the West

HorrorFanStab

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That poster didn't bother to watch the videos in the OP, read the text in the tweets, or even read the thread. Instead, that poster felt the need to drop a video about how Rep. Jeffries Black congressman was OBLITERATED.

Ahahaha.
Correct, Though I did watch the first one just not the second.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they are at all aware at how badly they're being used by Trump, or if they are really just that dumb. Either way it's pathetic.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Before I quit Facebook, I'd always see videos of them on my feed posted by my very conservative, Trump supporting Filipino friend. I think his motivation was to show that Republicans weren't racist.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm still trying to figure out why any of this is a thing. Or was it not a thing until they lied? What is the overarching issue they are discussing? Is this part of the collusion hearings?

Speakers can be paid by the campaign so why did these idiots lie about it?

It wasn't a thing until they lied about it. They were asked to come there to testify about social media platforms filtering out pages because of political leanings (which is bullshit to anyone with eyes). They were there because they complained about Facebook censoring them, which isn't true. The Dems who were there and correctly saw this entire committee as a farce, called them out on lying. Hence the blatant perjury they threw themselves into. Republicans won't charge them though.

I wonder if they are at all aware at how badly they're being used by Trump, or if they are really just that dumb. Either way it's pathetic.
They clearly stated during their testimony that they're in this for money. I mean they endorsed a white supremacist because he paid them.