• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the page is up too early?

https://www.gog.com/game/diablo
Travelers looking for the authentic Diablo experience can play the game as it was in 1996, with period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics, and the ability to matchmake through the classic version of Blizzard's Battle.net® online-gaming service.
For those wanting something a bit more modern, Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game tuned for today's gaming PCs, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, a host of bug fixes and high-resolution support.

• The most voted game on the GOG.com wishlist, finally trapped in a DRM-free soulstone!
  • Return to the beginning of this dark saga, now in digital format for the first time ever.
  • Better value than Wirt's wares, guaranteed.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gog.com/game/diablo

As title says, GOG managed to bring the first Diablo back on modern systems. This also means Blizzard is willing to put their old games on GOG.

Any chance in the future we might get Warcraft 1 and 2 in their store?

Dec 14, 2017
I feel this means more that it does, but I can't put my finger on it. Interesting that it's a collaboration, did Blizzard not feel like updating it for modern hardware themselves?

OP
OP
Accoun

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Publisher/dev changed from TEST PUBLISHER/TEST DEVELOPER to Blizzard.
itshappening.gif

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, didn't see this coming, even if it's a classic game, normally Blizz sticks to it's own service.

Oh, Nibel on Twitter posted that Warcraft 1 and 2 have been announced for GoG too? Yeah, that's a buy from me.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
High res has been a thing with Diablo 1 for a while with the HD mod, though that adds new content people may not like.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
No new or "high-res" graphics have been added. Rather, it now natively supports whatever resolution you're running in Windows. This is the original Diablo 1 EXE, patched back in the early '00s, plus some "DirectX" tweaks built by the GOG team itself, not Blizzard. (If you wanna play on Battle.net, you have to run a "vanilla" exe based entirely on Blizzard's last official patch, which is also included.)

Full-length piece on how it plays, plus a couple of answers from Blizzard, right here: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ale-for-10-drm-free-but-not-on-blizzards-app/

EDIT: fixed phrasing

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I've never played Diablo before so this is pretty cool! Already got in on my wishlist.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Does this include the expansion?

Also the comments on GOG already are fucking ridiculous. People are something else.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Well, how about that. I had been wondering when Blizz would do something with the first game finally, this is a pretty cool collab.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Works on Windows 7, 8, 10*

YES! It's been such a pain in the ass getting the old jewel case disc version to work on modern computers.

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, this brings me back to the hours spent huddled in front of my buddy's PC playing the demo over and over.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
No new or "high-res" graphics have been added. Rather, it now natively supports whatever resolution you're running in Windows. This is the original Diablo 1 EXE, patched back in the early '00s, plus some "DirectX" tweaks built by the GOG team itself, not Blizzard. (If you wanna play on Battle.net, you have to run a "vanilla" exe based entirely on Blizzard's last official patch, which is also included.)

Full-length piece on how it plays, plus a couple of answers from Blizzard, right here: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ale-for-10-drm-free-but-not-on-blizzards-app/

EDIT: fixed phrasing

And it won't be the last. GOG has already announced that it will follow this Diablo launch with future re-releases of the first two WarCraft RTS games' original files.

Sounds dope but I imagine they will still be pretty onerous to play on modern PC's due to the resolutions.