• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The title seems way too inflammatory. Xbox seems to have issues since they switched to a GDK for both PC and Xbox instead of just Xbox. Makes sense PS5 would be easier since your only focusing on the one platform. I'm sure development will get easier.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a change to GDK is causing more initial work but will even out later because it will scale well

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Damn, that's very frank and honest praise coming from Richard. I usually find he's very quick to come to the Xbox's defense in DF videos in comparison to John.

Definitely sounds like the Xbox environment does have it's advantages as well though, encompassing both Xbox and PC? I assume developers are happy all around for different reasons, no matter what the platform.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
That title is missing "some" for the Xbox part. Some are happy with it according to richard. It's interesting nonetheless, and might explain why there's barely any gameplay out yet for XSX since devs are still getting used to the new GDK.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to hear devs are happy with the PS5. Hopefully this leads to faster dev cycles so we can get games crammed into next gen.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
thatsnoneofmy.jpg

Hm. How to interpret this......?

I was quite suprised to hear DF crew (Rich and John) talk in a previous recent video how Xbox dev tools had got worse over the gen. I believe they now have moved to GDK's? Not sure what the changes are though.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
well if there are any growing pains with XSX/XSS it's down to Microsoft improving their tools so that's a good thing for everyone in the end. these concerns always seem a bit overblown.

Sony had something that worked very well for them so they prioritized making the transition as seamless as they could

edit: and yeah the thread title doesn't really reflect what's actually being said here

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is incredible. Sony went from having the most difficult platform to make games for to the easiest. I don't think multiplatforms will ever be as bad they were on the PS3. The difference will really come down to extra rays on ray tracing and also resolution which honestly is not a big deal.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
This sounds like PS5 will be the lead developing platform even for games where the PC+XB versions are likely to outsell the PS5 version of a game... because: just port that PS5 to PC and use the performance headroom of the XBX over the PS5 to make it run as well as on PS5 without tweaking it to the metal.

Which games are likely to sell more on XB?

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Is this another PS3 Cell situation? Stronger console on paper but harder to get the most out of it?

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Must have killed Rich to hear that 😏

Would make sense though if devs are having to work around two consoles of wildly differing levels of capability for games with Xbox but not on PS5 it's not gonna be as straightfoward a process.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I've said in another thread: Last year Shu mentioned that developers told Sony they never worked on hardware as easy to develop on as PS5.
Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter is hearing the same things these days.
This is great for developers and for the PlayStation fans. Mark Cerny really made another fantastic console. Developers love it.
Guess they didn't talked to RE 8 team.
Looks like whoever made that rumor up didn't talk to them either.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Also, makes sense why Infinite was going to launch without raytracing and DMCVSE doesnt havent RT on XSX.

Yikes MS.

They never said that DMCVSE doesn't have RT on XSX though, and have said that it will have RT on all platforms...

Also Infinite was gonna launch without RT because the game's development was severely impacted by Covid-19 and poor management, not anything to do with the GDK/XDK

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Mod-whining and platform warring over multiple posts; just came back from a ban for platform warring
So we've reached page 2 and still no title change.... wonder why the fanboy wars haven't died down on here hmmm

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Watch the actual video, it's great with tons of Sony and Microsoft talk. It's also not that negative to either. Really great conversation

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So how come rumors say PS5 struggles with Resident Evil Village?
It's dusk not understanding how development works (he admits it), and starting FUD because of it. It seems every other trusted sources like Jason and richard are saying the opposite and they have access to more devs than just RE.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
But twitter handle "12tflops>9" said PS5's variable frequencies was a nightmare. WHO DO I BELIEVE?!

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
OP should request a title update.
Was that rumor ever even confirmed or clarified? I thought the latest version of the rumor was that there was a PS4 version of the game that had to be scrapped because of performance issues, not that the PS5 was struggling anyway.
Yeah, I read all of these rumours as well. The latest trailer does seem dip in some scenes.
For a title built on the RE engine?
i don't understand why people still have difficulty believing this when sony themsleves said the footage shown in that conference was running on ps5 and the framerate was clearly struggling.
I'm just wondering why they're struggling with development on PS5 alone. That's the impression right?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So Sony is easier because its closer to how the PS4 was but the Series X is more complicated because its all-new SDK/VA and other features etc? Ok, that sounds like next-gen development to me.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
other people are having problems with it because they've moved away from what was previously the XDK which was specific for the Xbox to the GDK which is a more general environment for PC and for Xbox and even Xbox one is encompassed by the GDK

I don't understand this part. The transition from XDK to GDK isn't smooth because it includes PC and Xbox instead of just Xbox? Haven't there been a ton of games released for both, from third-party and first-party?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Both systems will be easy to develop for even if some devs have to adjust for MS for a short while.
So this good all around for devs and everyone.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The Xbox may have issues, but the title of this thread is suuuuuuper bullshit.

Edit: Was super bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.