SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

A pioneering game from the early days of PC 3D acceleration, Probe Software's excellent Forsaken enjoyed an impressive PS1 port and a very different incarnation on Nintendo 64. And now the game is back, remastered for PC and Xbox One - with full Xbox One X support!

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I played this on keyboard only in a way that would elude me these days!
Amazing game. Set pants on fire at release!
That PS1 version is legit!

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x, I love your work!

And thank you for giving a fair shake on the Nintendo 64 version! I always thought of it as a different take on the original Forsaken level structure, so it's inclusion in the Remaster has me piqued.

Also can you link to that music video? I actually have the CD!

Edit: Nevermind, I found it!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Video was absolutely fantastic. I only ever played the N64 version back when it came out. I didn't ever realise it was so different to the PC/PS1 release! Definitely gonna pick this up.

Thanks!

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool that they've found a way to include the N64 version's levels with the PC/PS1 original and little touches like a selectable HUD is much appreciated as well. Great video as usual from DF.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I saw ads for this game in magazines all the time but never dug into what the game was about. A cool watch

One question though. At the start there was a mention of a Doom 64 remaster of sort. What was that? I did some searching of the devs and couldn't necessarily find it. Was it a mod of some sort? This Doom 64 ex perhaps?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Is there any way to disable the bilinear filtering on textures of the PC remastered version?

Honestly I don't like at all the blurry effect that it give to the overall look, this is why I like the PSX version way moe (texture warping aside).

Thanks!

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Wow, hope the fact they added the N64 maps in the PC/PS1 campaign means that they take a similar stance with Powerslave and include both the PS1 (which was already there in the free alpha release) and Saturn campaign (but separate in this case, they can't be combined in that manner as they're not completely new, just the same campaign fitting with each system's strengths with differences like the difficulty, level layouts and the ability to bomb-jump on Saturn which is missing on the PlayStation).

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Really well done video. Enjoyed it with my morning coffee.
I played half or so of the original on the PS1 back in the day.

Descent felt like a more precise shooter I remember with more timing involved & more epic feeling showdowns (Forsaken favored very close-up encounters, rapid fire & mass destruction) but the lighting and 60fps of Forsaken was very impressive.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Reviving Forsaken seems so random. It was a 7/10 game back in the day (the scale starts at 5 remember), it had some notable tech, but never a real following or anything, maybe game-of-the-month a few places at most? It had a lot of paper ads though.
Its semi-obscureness makes this revival interesting and is fodder for cool videos like the one above.

PS. Why no PS4 & Nintendo release? It was on those platforms before Xbox existed.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I love that we're getting these kinds of definitive re-releases of old 3D games, a wonderful way to improve technical + QoL aspects while making them easily accessible to fans + newcomers alike :) Major props to Nighttime Studios.

EDIT: Bahaha the music video at 9:58

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. Happy to hear that they incorporated all the N64 content, that makes the remaster an instabuy for me.

I saw ads for this game in magazines all the time but never dug into what the game was about. A cool watch

One question though. At the start there was a mention of a Doom 64 remaster of sort. What was that? I did some searching of the devs and couldn't necessarily find it. Was it a mod of some sort? This Doom 64 ex perhaps?

Yep. The Kaiser chap Dark1x mentioned worked on it in his spare time. It's not a commercial product.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting video John as always and I'm certainly curious. But sweet lord, some of that footage is nauseating. I don't know why, but for what ever reason this is really messing with my brain...

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this morning. Never played this game, but instead Descent.
Must say this remind me a old dos game I use to play much about a float shooting car. Gonna try find the name.

AceofSpades

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish they reworked the art of the game to make it more modern and hyper realistic ...I loved the game on PS1 back in the day but the controls, man the controls were very strange.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Lol, had a little feeling of deja Vu as LGR made his own review of Forsaken like a week ago.

Will watch as soon as I get home.

~Fake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amok, Bledan, Rise of the Triad, Flashback, Tyrian... But still can't remmember that game similar to this one.

Last edited:

~Fake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YES. It is. Thx man. Indeed its Zone Raiders created by Virgin entertainment the same who make Cool Spot, but in Brazil many call 'Seven Up' because its difficult to remmember game names here. I even have a cd from this game. My mother gave me as a christimas gift if I remmember from Nova America Barra Shopping.

I don't know if John played that game too, but when I saw this Forsaken gameplay today remind me so much Zone Raiders.

Thx for help mate.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping to see a breakdown of the remaster v the old ones. Excellent video does just that. Having never played any of the versions, I assumed the n64 was different, but not THAT different.

Reviving Forsaken seems so random. It was a 7/10 game back in the day (the scale starts at 5 remember), it had some notable tech, but never a real following or anything, maybe game-of-the-month a few places at most? It had a lot of paper ads though.
Its semi-obscureness makes this revival interesting and is fodder for cool videos like the one above.
For me, that's what I want more of. The obscure 6-7/10 games from the late 90s/early 00s that weren't popular enough to start a series, but are worth playing through again if one can get them to work.
Sadly, a lot of the titles I'd want to see will be caught in license hell (i'm looking at you Heavy Metal 2000 FAKK/Elite Force 1 & 2, and Klingon Honor Guard)

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered what this game was when I was younger. It had a memorable cover and ads in the magazines back then. Good work dark1x. Comprehensive as always

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I think the PS1 version actually looks better. Partly due to the lack of filtered textures, but also it just looks less washed out with gamma values that better fit the visuals.

Dark1x, I love your work!

And thank you for giving a fair shake on the Nintendo 64 version! I always thought of it as a different take on the original Forsaken level structure, so it's inclusion in the Remaster has me piqued.

Also can you link to that music video? I actually have the CD!

Edit: Nevermind, I found it!

Paraphrasing Jeff Gerstmann's reaction to Buck Bumble: "This was certainly made in the UK at a very specific point in time"

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
It's gotten to the point where I just watch every single DF Retro, regardless of topic - always so fascinating, informative and entertaining. Such a great video series.

I never played any version of Forsaken, but now I'm tempted. Overload looks really cool as well.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought we had a pizza date scheduled!
-----------------
Now that Forsaken is out - I really want to know where Kaiser and team are going to go next. There are a lot of games out there from this period which would be amazing on Kex.
Requiem: Avenging Angel? A game I've heard exactly nobody mention.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I thought we had a pizza date scheduled!
-----------------
Now that Forsaken is out - I really want to know where Kaiser and team are going to go next. There are a lot of games out there from this period which would be amazing on Kex.
Soldier of Fortune! But I guess there would licensing issues with the magazine? It's sad how that series just died with a terrible game and was forgotten forever.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
So, playing this for the first time, the one thing I'm not liking is that you apparently get a limited number of lives. I already died once in the first level, so what happens when I finally run out?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It's gotten to the point where I just watch every single DF Retro, regardless of topic - always so fascinating, informative and entertaining. Such a great video series.

I never played any version of Forsaken, but now I'm tempted. Overload looks really cool as well.
Don't sleep on overload, it's absolutely sublime.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Awesome video Dark1x!

With the remaster, Forsaken now takes the award for the worst reticle in all of gaming. Who thought that was a good idea?

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He's said on twitter that the next thing he's working on is Powerslave EX, but this time officially as Night Dive were able to secure the rights for it and the Exhumed name just a few months ago