Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Once again, amazing DF Retro episode, as always. I'd seriously love a remaster, even if it is just KZ2, no need for 1 or 3.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
The art still excelled in many areas. And a change in direction would probably have little to do with the lack of destruction and the change animations.

New Helghan had an incredible Blade Runner vibe:

Yeah, New Helghan was HOT! Incredible atmosphere. KZSFs volumetric lighting is showcased amazingly well there. Game deserves a Pro Patch.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. 'Fell for those screens'. After opening them up, they look much like what we got, aliasing and all. The game looked fantastic either way and I don't see what was lost from these screens to the final game (that made it look notably worse, anyway).
It's definitely running in engine but taken using a PC likely. It just looks too damn clean for me to believe otherwise. Also it didn't look as clean on the PS3.... still looked fantastic though.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's definitely running in engine but taken using a PC likely. It just looks too damn clean for me to believe otherwise. Also it didn't look as clean on the PS3.... still looked fantastic though.

Yeah those screen look like something running on Full HD with 8xMSAA or similar.
In reality, it was 720p with MLAA. ND did the same with Uncharted 2 screens. Nonetheless, the games looked astonishing in the final release. They just didn't have that extreme polish that you can barely have in motion today.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It was soooo close to being a good game, but the tech is still very impressive to this day.

MachineGames' recent Wolfenstein games sort of reminded me of the aesthetic Killzone was going for, and the amusingly over-animated death sequences for the Nazis certainly reminded me of the way the Helghast jiggle all over the place when you're pumping them full of bullets.

I honestly prefer the way guns feel, sound, and handle in Wolf TNO, TNB vs. TNC - how odd.

Last edited:

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Great episode. I can still remember all the hype around the secret BBC game, which I think ended up being Killzone 2, and the debate about that screenshot with the hole or the shadow in it. Good times.

The game was pretty good overall, though that last boss fight is some bullshit. The best setpiece is the taking of the bridge and that bit with the heavy storm was quite good as well.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018

I don't think they look all that clean. Look at the larger images. Plenty of jaggies to go around and looks just how I remember it.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they look all that clean. Look at the larger images. Plenty of jaggies to go around and looks just how I remember it.
Trust me, you aren't remembering correctly. Some of those screenshots are rendered at a resolution much higher than what the game ever outputted on consoles. Jaggies at that resolution would look much cleaner when downscaled to 1080p.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3703/10816987204_14ea1dd643_o.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/10817133993_17ac0f4d5c_o.jpg

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Man, probably still my fav game of all time.

I'm still shocked that nobody has picked up a Warzone style MP or allowed custom public servers since the game launched.

granade and melee rooms ftw!

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Trust me, you aren't remembering correctly. Some of those screenshots are rendered at a resolution much higher than what the game ever outputted on consoles. Jaggies at that resolution would look much cleaner when downscaled to 1080p.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3703/10816987204_14ea1dd643_o.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/10817133993_17ac0f4d5c_o.jpg

Nah, I'm remembering correctly. If those screens look 'better' than the game, it isn't big enough to fret over.

Last edited:

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Great episode. While I'm not a huge fan of the game, it does still look insanely good. Muzzle fire is insane.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Yea, nothing to fret over. It's definitely not some drastic downgrade or anything like that.

No, it isn't...

Killzone_3-PS3-LEFT.png

607697-killzone-3-playstation-3-screenshot-watch-out-for-enemy-grenade.jpg

607678-killzone-3-playstation-3-screenshot-you-can-perform-stealth.jpg

Those are direct screenshots from the game. I don't see this 'drastic downgrade' that you speak of (though admittedly, the bigger shots are a bit cleaner).

Edit: Perhaps some comparisons between the old shots and gameplay ones (under similar conditions) would help this discussion.

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when this game came out, I didn't have a PS3 quite yet. Everyone was picking up a pre-order for Killzone 2 and I was picking up...Star Ocean 4.

I circled back to it once I got a PS3. Such a huge difference in atmosphere and gunplay compared to my go-to FPS at the time, Halo 3. Wonderful game through. I always felt given the perspective the main character was kinda short.

I like KZ3 way better, because it feels better for me to play. But really I want KZ2 atmosphere with KZ3 gunplay. Still haven't played SF so I don't know if that's actually the mix I'm looking for.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, it isn't...

Killzone_3-PS3-LEFT.png

607697-killzone-3-playstation-3-screenshot-watch-out-for-enemy-grenade.jpg

Those are direct screenshots from the game. There isn't some 'massive downgrade' that you've hyperbolized.

Edit: Perhaps some comparisons between the old shots and gameplay ones (under similar conditions) would help this discussion.
oooooo my god. You read my post wrong. I said there isn't any downgrade on the KZ3 shots! I was referring to the screenshots released on their site for KZ3 versus the final game. It's literally just a matter of image quality from being rendered at a higher resolution.

edit: Also, I wasn't being condescending. Learn to read and don't assume people have it in for your views. Sheesh.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
oooooo my god. You read my post wrong. I said there isn't any downgrade on the KZ3 shots! I was referring to the screenshots released on their site for KZ3 versus the final game. It's literally just a matter of image quality from being rendered at a higher resolution.

Perhaps I misunderstood then. No harm, no foul. :)

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to know what happened with Shadow Fall. Did a crucial art director leave? Was it just rushed?

The environmental destruction, animations, skyboxes, and atmosphere all pale in comparison to Killzone 2, while it was a technical marvel in so many other areas.

For example, why weren't the Helghan Ruins as captivating as what we saw in Killzone 2?
I think it was definitely the time crunch to make it as a PS4 launch game that is mostly responsible for Shadow Fall's shortcomings. It affected everything from the pacing of the game to its level design for the worse, clearly. Damn shame. The game is still jaw-droppingly gorgeous at times, and the potential for world-building was as strong here as it always has been in other KZ games.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
This game was so amazing. I remember it being divisive back when it released, but I just got a copy at the local used game store (for $2.99) after watching Dark1x 's video and am kind of amazed at it all over again.
The controls definitely take some getting used to.. but didn't they add the "precise controls" option to lower the feeling of weight? I remember on the old message board people were trying to rationalize the feeling of the controls as you're actually moving the characters arms and head or something. Once I got used to the controls, I really enjoyed the game. These days I feel like it gives it a unique feel.

This was never released digitally from what I can tell. Am I wrong?

Makes it pretty valuable for my collection.

I ripped my disc and plan on trying this on RPCS3. I imagine it will run like SHIT (or not at all), but seeing it at higher resolutions would be great.

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
I always keep hoping that one day Sony would of had the Killzone and Resistance franchises remastered for the PS4 even if they did minimal work to the releases I'd buy them in an instant. Both franchises had their issues, but they were fun games.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's sad that I looks like we aren't getting a KZ2 or Resistance 3 remaster, especislly when Sony lacks FPS games this generation.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I feel like KZ2 doesn't get the praise it deserves sometimes. Not only was it an impressive tech display but it also included stellar single player and multiplayer components. I'd say it was probably the first very good effort from Sony 1st party that gen minus perhaps Uncharted 1 which I think still falls a little short from what KZ2 achieved.

There were a lot of scepticism for HZD since it was from ''the Killzone guys'' without really recognizing that KZ2 was an exceptional game and their later products were hampered by deadlines for console launch in the case for KZSF and forced implementation of whatever the latest crazes were in KZ3 with CoDification, 3D, Move and it still managed to be a decent game.