• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the big question mark going into the next gen is how cheap can MS get the Xbox series S.

Too cheap and stripped back and it could sell great numbers but it will knee cap the generation. Too expensive and you wonder why does it even exist?

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Probably something to maintain being a better value proposition than series x like last gen like $475 (if series x is $500) i'm guessing.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nope. I think they're gonna eat the cost to sell it at $400, especially now that they have a real competitor in the XSX.

Their attach rate is usually very high, so they'll make it up there.
Sony won't eat a $100+ loss per console. That is too much. At $500 they would still be at a slight loss if the leaked build cost is true.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
But by that logic, shouldn't the Series X also be hit by similar price increases for the same reasons?
Yes. I'm sure manufacturing costs will also be an issue for MS... but I think in their case, there is a higher chance they will take on more loss to keep the price down than Sony will. The Playstation brand right now is more valuable than the Xbox brand, and I'm not sure that Sony need to invest as much into it for it to succeed as MS need to do with the Xbox brand.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Please be $399. Please be $399. Please be $399. Please be $399. Please be $399.

Video suggests that will only happen if they eat the cost and rely on services to get the money lost back. I could definitely see $499.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
They don't pay the $1k out of pocket

You don't have to on consoles either nowadays.

$500/£500 is not that much more than PS4 anyway. The cost of a couple games. I'm sure Sony will do what they can to keep costs down butif this is a reality then there's not much that can be down.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://kotaku.com/36-years-of-console-prices-adjusted-for-inflation-1485353267
199q245cirikujpg.jpg

This article is from 2013, the PSX is closer to $500 in 2020 dollars.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind a $500 console as long as the hardware (and game quality) backs that up. That goes for both makers. I've usually bought consoles at $399 or below and I don't think this will be the exception. I can wait until the first price drop and bundle to get the console + one game or something like that at a more affordable price for me.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously going to be $500 for a 9+TF console with an SSD, desktop class CPU and 4K UHD drive.

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd just get a second job. It wouldn't be for that long, just work fast food on the weekends for like 3-4 weeks and bam.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I think the market is at the point where it can handle $500. It's been 7 years of inflation, plus launching in a mostly recovered economy instead of a still-barely-clawed-it's-way-out-of-recession one.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a big deal. People pay 1000+ for smartphones nowadays.
90% aren't paying $1000 lump sum, and they definitely aren't paying $60 for each app.

The smartphone comparison has never, and will never be apt. Smartphones are about a million times more valuable to the average person than a game console.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I've said it before, I'll say it again. A conversion price of $649 CAD or above means these new consoles are DOA in Canada. I know it's a smaller market, but these gaming prices are getting absurd up here in the chilly north.

But think about how much heat the next-gen systems generate. That's an extra value right there for chilly regions.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
honestly $499 feels about right for a new console in 2020, especially with the specs we've been hearing about

if they can get it lower then I guess they've worked their marketing magic on me

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Even just the tech announced so far is worth it. We needed a proper gen jump and it costs money. Glad both Microsoft and Sony are going big.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think that Microsoft's two console strategy will push Sony to releasing the PS5 at $399.
Assuming of course that the Series X is $499 and Series C (or S, or whatever they end up calling it) releases at $349 or $299.

So for now, I'm still on team $399, because I believe that was the original intent when they set out on developing the PS5. Now that they're getting closer to production, some rising component costs are gonna make that difficult, but I think they'll eat that cost to stick to the price they know works for them and make up the difference on games and subs.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
500€ is a bit too much, and counting games/sub/accessories (especially if the SSD is a mere 500GB) it can quickly go out of control.
Count me in the group that hope Sony will eat the cost.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.

$500 consoles will struggle in terms of mass-appeal and adoption.

If they release at this price, subsidizing them will be an interesting and likely mandatory alternative.
Unlikely, $500 is mass market, or next gen will make it so.

Just like $399 with 360 (people scoffed at a 399 console).

It'll be more then 399.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The ps4 Pro is $444 in Sweden right now. I expect to pay $550-$600 for the PS5

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Considering the demand for consoles at launch, both Microsoft and Sony would be burning money if they launch below their cost. At $500, these will sell every unit they can ship for the holidays. They can consider dropping the price next year, if demand drops below supply.

The X factor here is what Microsoft will do with multiple versions, or if they want to be aggressive on price to grab a larger market share off the bat.
Agreed. They will sell everything they can at $500 and as soon as demand lowers they'll reduce to €449 or €500.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Microsoft has a monthly plan, maybe Sony will do something similar.

Doesn't make any sense. You want to spread out the purchase cost, credit cards or store credit allow you to do it.

Setting up your own financing on top of those options only opens you up to selling to those for whom the above isn't possible- and these people are the most likely to default and least likely to have good cash flow to buy games and services.