Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame, because DMC5 was my GOTY when it came out, and the SE announce trailer was a really exciting moment. But between this poor performance and a lot of other games looking really tempting, I'm not sure when/if I'll get this.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Getting a locked 120fps at all times is unrealistic unless it's something like Counter Strike, i wouldn't panic about drops to 70fps when a lot of shit is on screen or whatever, happens on PC too.
VRR really comes into play with framerates post 60, so i would think the 120fps mode with VRR TV's should feel great, i guess v-sync is on or something? Capcom would be smart to turn that shit off.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
"If the game detects your display supports 120Hz, it will ONLY output in the resolutions that the 120Hz mode supports. For example, if you have a 4K TV that does 120Hz in 1080p, you'll never be able to run the game at 4K, only 1080p."

Wtf is up with this decision. This choice is so odd

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, so if your TV is able to 120hz the game will default to that mode and you can't choose anything else? That's awful.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Can't even hold a stable 60fps? That's disappointing.

I remember the vanilla version ran pretty smooth on PS4/PS4Pro. Hope there is a patch to address these issues.

May 15, 2019
The performance in this is bizarre, I pretty much maintain 144fps with maxed settings at 1440p on my GTX 1080. I figured without raytracing this would be able to hold 120 easy.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like having a million different options, yet none that seem to really pull off what you want. Super bizarre to not have a locked 60 mode when the high framerate reconstruction is hitting above it for gameplay and cutscenes.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like having a million different options, yet none that seem to really pull off what you want. Super bizarre to not have a locked 60 mode when the high framerate reconstruction is hitting above it for gameplay and cutscenes.
Indeed. It seems the unlocked reconstruction mode on a 60hz panel is the only way to play this version. Garbage.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I'm new to these VRR TVs. So if the game doesn't have VRR but the tv has VRR, the game will look smooth because the TV is taking care of the VRR correct? I have an LG CX so I should have VRR for all PS5 games right? But someone without a VRR tv needs the games or consoles to have the VRR setting, is this how this works?

Oct 29, 2017
So confused after reading this whole thread! I want to play this game, as I never got very far when it first came out. Planned to make this a launch purchase for PS5 since it has ray tracing. I have a 4K TV but it's not HDMI 2.1. Should I buy either the PS5 or Xbox Series X version (are there major differences?), or just play the one I have backwards compatible on Series X?

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I'm new to these VRR TVs. So if the game doesn't have VRR but the tv has VRR, the game will look smooth because the TV is taking care of the VRR correct? I have an LG CX so I should have VRR for all PS5 games right? But someone without a VRR tv needs the games or consoles to have the VRR setting, is this how this works?

No, you always need a VRR TV. Ps5 doesn't have VRR currently even with the CX. Hopefully an update isn't far along.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I watched another video and I'm pretty bummed about this. I wasn't expecting to play it till late December anyways, so hopefully a patch is out by then because I don't really want to spend $15 for the DLC and I'd much rather olay it on Playstation than the Game Pass copy I have as I played the rest of the franchise on PS4. Just gonna have to wait and see I guess.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Well damn I'm watching Max, he is playing RT at 1080 and it looks rough af on series X.
This game seems like a rushed mess.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they're treating the digital version as kind of a 'soft' launch, rushed out to coincide with the console launches, and maybe the physical launch in December is going to be in better shape.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Wait.. so whats going on here. Is this actually running in 4K with the highest setting RT?

WLaJCsp.png

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently everyone thought that, but it's there already.
He tried 4k RT and it dropped frames hard, then RT at 1080 and it looks like a blurry mess.
He just turned it off, not worth it.
Wonder if they just threw it in at launch because of complaints despite not being ready. There's no reason the RT modes should run worse on XSX beyond poor optimization.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Wonder if they just threw it in at launch because of complaints despite not being ready. There's no reason the RT modes should run worse on XSX beyond poor optimization.

Well after watching the DF video and Max right now experimenting, taking into account that ps5 was no prize, it's indeed really rough on series X.

Capcom!!

Last edited:

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Before even thinking about VRR, they need to get a locked framerate mode as a very small number of people are even gonna have tv's supporting VRR.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Seems like the only decent way to play this on ps5 is with a VRR display but even that hasn't been enabled at a system level yet.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
don't think this SE is worth it at all at current price.

imma probably just buy the vergil dlc upgrade for tje ps4 version ive already owned and play that on the ps5 instead

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
According to Digital Foundry it's not native 4K on One X, it's using some form of reconstruction method. But yeah it might provide a more stable framerate and will probably look close to identical.

The new version should absolutely perform better on the new consoles. There's no reason why it can't run at a locked 60 in native 4K on both the PS5 and the Series X (without RT obviously) considering great performance already on the old consoles and good optimisation for PC.

Edit: oh wait you wrote about the Series X, I read One X, sorry!
All good! It is slightly confusing, but your point does stand.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Both the TV and the hardware device has to support VRR. PS5 currently doesn't support VRR, so can't be used even on a VRR TV.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Before even thinking about VRR, they need to get a locked framerate mode as a very small number of people are even gonna have tv's supporting VRR.
This, 100%. VRR is a lovely option for the minority that have it, they need to get the best experience possible for the majority of their users, then worry about shit like that. When you see 8K on the PS5 box, and 4K implementation is still as half-baked as it is, you have to wonder just what they're thinking with that kind of marketing when it's instantly deflated by the first few games available. I really think the launch of these consoles could've waited until summer 2021 to get this shit ironed out a little. In the meantime, they really need to re-evaluate their priorities and stop trying to run before they can walk.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Betting this gets patched pretty quickly. Or rather, I hope it does. Have the psycho version ordered so I can wait to see if it is fixed in Dec.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Man, seems like RT in the RE Engine is in a rough state.

Also, consoles and TVs supporting VRR doesn't excuse this wide variability in framerate.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
30, 40 and 60fps locks would be nice for 120hz TVs.
.. and lower resolution modes to get solid framerates.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I don't know why they didn't add dynamic resolution on the cutscenes to locked 60fps.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
My B8 has a 120hz mode but it's only 1080p. So if I played this game on my TV I'd be stuck with constant judder and 1080p output. I'd class that as straight up broken.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe all the comments about VRR. Never seen a thread about a game with poor framerate be excused so people can point out a console doesn't have VRR. VRR would help the people that have those TVs capable of it. Locking the framerate would help everyone buying the game.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Can't believe all the comments about VRR. Never seen a thread about a game with poor framerate be excused so people can point out a console doesn't have VRR. VRR would help the people that have those TVs capable of it. Locking the framerate would help everyone buying the game.
VRR is a very poor excuse, there's barely any TV's that support it.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Hard pass until/if they fix this. VRR should be suported, but I reckon that less than 0,1% of general consumers have access to those TVs supporting the feature.

Ad-Infinitum

Nov 1, 2017
Based upon this Digital Foundry analysis, surely Capcom could just make some small adjustments to the rendering resolutions to solve these issues? Perhaps resulting in the following selectable modes instead:

1. Graphics Mode #1, "Best All Rounder" (default) -> change native 4K to reconstructed 4K resolution, with a 60fps cap and ray tracing included (should hopefully lock to 4K/ 60 in 99% of scenarios, even Legendary Dark Knight mode).

2. Graphics Mode #2, "Ray Tracing + High Framerate" -> change native 1080p to reconstructed 1080p resolution, with a 120fps cap and ray tracing included (should hopefully adhere to at least 100 -> 120fps in most scenarios)

3. Graphics Mode #3, "Best Image Clarity" -> retain native 4K resolution, with a 60fps cap and no ray tracing (will run much like the previous PS4 Pro/ Xbox One X versions [i.e. not locked @ 60fps], but with an enhanced resolution output).

4. Graphics Mode #4, "Best Frame Rate" -> reconstructed 1440p/ 1800p resolution, with a 120fps cap and no ray tracing (would ideally run at an almost locked 120fps in most scenarios).

Oh yeah, and also directly attach the hidden 120Hz output mode toggle to the "High Framerate Mode" switch in the options menu (to disable both 120Hz and 120fps simultaneously).

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I picked this up on XSX yesterday. I've been playing it on 4K ray tracing quality mode. Short version: it's definitely dropping frames. It looks nice though. Interested in a DF comparison of the PS5 to XSX version now. Wondering if I got the wrong version, but reading this doesn't sound like the PS5 is any better.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Variable Refresh Rate displays can't do anything unless the VRR feature is enabled at the source.
The PlayStation 5 does not support VRR yet, so the experience is the same whether the display supports VRR or not.
Once the system does support VRR, your display will also need to support it to use the feature.

VRR should be a system-level feature, rather than something that developers have to enable for their game.
At least, that is how it works on PC. G-Sync can even work in games decades older than the feature itself (graphical APIs permitting).

On the Xbox One I'd call VRR a partial implementation, as it did not work in every game.
From what I've heard, it sounds like that has been remedied with the Xbox Series X/S, and it does work in every game now.
I certainly hope that once Sony enable VRR on the PS5, it will work system-wide rather than requiring developers to support it. But there's been a lot of things on the video output side that I would have expected/hoped from Sony, which did not materialize.

Wait.. so whats going on here. Is this actually running in 4K with the highest setting RT?

WLaJCsp.png
This is what happens when you allow the frame rate to be completely unlocked.
That mode runs close to 30 FPS on average, but shoots up to 120 FPS when essentially looking at a wall and barely rendering anything.
This is why it needs a frame rate limiter, or half/quarter-refresh V-Sync. Ideally it would be limited to 30 FPS on a fixed-refresh display, and perhaps something like 42 FPS on a VRR display, allowing it to push up to 40% above that limit.

XSX does have those split memory pools, so it's possible that it's causing issues.
A lot of the performance issues here appear to be related to limited memory bandwidth.

I haven't seen many excusing it; only saying that a frame rate which is variable between ~80–110 FPS is not an issue for VRR - and is a far better option than being locked to 60.
Of course the game needs to do a better job targeting fixed-refresh displays first, with the limits raised (but not eliminated) for VRR.
It's a moot point right now anyway, since the PS5 does not support VRR yet.