• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
it IS a disaster. Why is everyone just OK with the fact that the game crashed all the time.

It's literally unplayable at time. I have to stop moving to allow everything to 'catch up' otherwise I face a crash. The game even has missing text. Like, WTF? It's such an amateur product at this point and should have been delayed.

But its OK, they delayed the Switch version so reviewers would not review the shittier project.
Crashes and missing text are on the PS4 also. They're not Switch-exclusive issues.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
But no one really seems to care because we have a Castlevania game and they already spent money 4 years ago so getting something is better than nothing. It's disgusting. Trying bringing this up and a majority of people will push it aside because they have some weird thing for Iga. The 3DS games were way more polished.
Guy, this is a video game. It ain't that serious.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this seems like another case of an UE4 game that runs massively better on PC for some reason. I'm running it at 3413x1920 (DSR) at 144 fps and the 1080 sleeps, so I'm surprised the X can't run it at stable 60.
My semi qualified guess is that the jaguars struggles.

Did Armature end up handling the Switch port in the end?
No, it went internal, though given the comments made by the roadmap for updates, it sounds like that WayForward may have had more to do with that version specifically. That makes sense, given their extensive Nintendo hardware background, but it sure seems like that UE4 is a big challenge for them all the same. In any event, Armature's involvement on the project died with the Wii U and Vita ports.

Good video that's frank about the optimization issues across the base consoles, and I'm glad that there was something mentioned about Valefar's poker chip attack, since that utterly tanks the framerate. Did they just get way too ambitious with the amount of polygons there? It's an easy attack to circumvent whether on the ground or the ceiling, but still, nothing else the game comes even close to that kind of performance penalty.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Not a single word about the PC version in the video.

I've had zero issues with it, no crashes, no bugs, no loading issues.
Did they not think it worth mentioning?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this game looks a ton better than it did early on. I wish animation was a bit better but damn, it looks great all things considered.

Snatching up the X version in a minute.

edit: damn, just saw Castlevania SOTN is on XBLG right now, gonna replay that first then this.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
La RĂ©sistance Country
So as expected, it's a technical mess all around. I'm playing on the Pro and only have a 1080p set, but I would definitely feel cheated if I was expecting the game to have 4K support (1440p at the very worst). I mean, that's how they marketed it.

And if you want to bring the fps to a crawl, try equipping yourself with the flying edge weapon. Performance gets ugly just by mashing the button, even in empty rooms.

Also, I would've liked the video to address the sound mix. Dialogue sounds muffled in some cut scenes and the music volume could definitely get a boost during regular gameplay.

Regarding the Switch version, yeah, I dodged a bullet here. Cause that's the version I would've backed up.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. X does seem to struggle with alpha effects for some reason. A poster on here (can't remember their name) claims that it is because the X GPU is somewhat imbalanced as it only has half the ROPs of the PS4 Pro (32 vs 64) - hence poor performance in games like AC7 too. Is there any truth to that?
Sure. If it has fewer raster operators, then it is liable to have issues with fill rates and alpha, which require a lot of texture memory accesses, especially as it has to fill far more pixels at 4k.

An obvious optimization they could do is to alpha test transparencies and let the temporal filter in UE4 attempt to blend across multiple frames. It would still look pretty crappy, but it would deal with performance issues.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is a prime example of why not to KS games and why not to buy games on physical media.

Bloodstained should have been delayed on ALL platforms another 1-2 months to polish fix bugs. Releasing it with a save-file killing bug for PS4/Xbox One is just ridiculous.

Switch versions suffers from multiple game crashes, single digit frames in certain area (climb the spiraling tower and the lags is unbareable) and 3DS-like graphics. It's hot garbage.

Now, all physical media either has a game-breaking bug etched onto the disc/cart, or in Switch's case a barely playable game.

But no one really seems to care because we have a Castlevania game and they already spent money 4 years ago so getting something is better than nothing. It's disgusting. Trying bringing this up and a majority of people will push it aside because they have some weird thing for Iga. The 3DS games were way more polished.

You're being hyperbole, a lot.

The game is playable and feature complete on all versions. The drama crusade you're on against this game in the last few days is nothing less than embarassing.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You're being hyperbole, a lot.

The game is playable and feature complete on all versions. The drama crusade you're on against this game in the last few days is nothing less than embarassing.

No, I'm not. I started taking screenshots every time the game crashed or was missing a text or my character.item got stuck in a wall (if I could - sometimes it would boot me right to the menu).

Embarrassing is anyone defending this amateur release and thinking it's no big deal. Apparently people go nuts if they have to watch a 5 second ad during NBA 19K but having a game crash every 30 minutes is no big deal.

But hey, they already got your money

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I did the PS4 Pro and I just beat this game at 99.2% yesterday.

One major performance issue on that boss that dropped the framerate down to single digits. One hard crash from a bookshelf.

Other minor hitches, such as when I would get a new shard or when I would kill an enemy right after zoning into a new place for the first time. These were pretty negligible.

End of the day, this is probably my GOTY. I had a blast playing it and absolutely loved it. I backed at $125 and would do it again.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not. I started taking screenshots every time the game crashed or was missing a text or my character.item got stuck in a wall (if I could - sometimes it would boot me right to the menu).

Embarrassing is anyone defending this amateur release and thinking it's no big deal. Apparently people go nuts if they have to watch a 5 second ad during NBA 19K but having a game crash every 30 minutes is no big deal.

But hey, they already got your money

Ok.

I had three crashes in 12 hours of play time total on Switch.

But OK, every 30 seconds I guess, I have a special defender cartridge right. Noooo hyperbole, nope.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
BTW - the best feature is jumping up to the next screen, waiting 10 seconds for it to load only to have your character fall right back down because you didn't hold the control stick in a certain direction the entire 10 seconds.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is a prime example of why not to KS games and why not to buy games on physical media.

Bloodstained should have been delayed on ALL platforms another 1-2 months to polish fix bugs. Releasing it with a save-file killing bug for PS4/Xbox One is just ridiculous.

Switch versions suffers from multiple game crashes, single digit frames in certain area (climb the spiraling tower and the lags is unbareable) and 3DS-like graphics. It's hot garbage.

Now, all physical media either has a game-breaking bug etched onto the disc/cart, or in Switch's case a barely playable game.

Why shouldnt people buy games on physical media? These games can naturally be patched as well, so i dont think this is much of a problem. I can see it if people dont bother to patch the games, but i dont think thats a big user group (for those who dont have their console connected to the internet at all, they wouldnt be able to get the download version anyway). And who knows what happends e.g 20 years from now regarding patching and downloading the games, but for the next 10-20 years, it should be a problem at least.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Why shouldnt people buy games on physical media? These games can naturally be patched as well, so i dont think this is much of a problem. I can see it if people dont bother to patch the games, but i dont think thats a big user group (for those who dont have their console connected to the internet at all, they wouldnt be able to get the download version anyway). And who knows what happends e.g 20 years from now regarding patching and downloading the games, but for the next 10-20 years, it should be a problem at least.

If you buy physically you will forever have a broken mess on disc/cart. Unless you plan on regularly checking all your games you opened the shrink-wrap on and stuck in your Switch that cart will forever be a broken mess.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This dude is on a crusade against physical media since months for reasons. Always arguing in bad faith and lives in a realm outiside of reality.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you buy physically you will forever have a broken mess on disc/cart. Unless you plan on regularly checking all your games you opened the shrink-wrap on and stuck in your Switch that cart will forever be a broken mess.
Again, I played Bloodstained entirely on version 0.1, which is the base cart version. I did this because I'm a physical media enthusiast and I care about the base versions of games.

I'm at 99.2% map completion, played 12 hours, had three crashes total. Performance isn't much different from version 1.1, which a friend played side by side with me for like 5 hours yesterday.

Saying the game is a broken mess is a straight lie.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the game but it is a technical mess even on my PS4 Pro. Can't imagine playing on the switch.

For how long it's been in production and how much money has been put into it, one would expect it to look and run much better. Game feels like it's barely holding together at the seams...not to mention there's a fear that patches will break it further.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Great video. I'm surprised at the consistency in performance in Switch, but the game feels too good at higher frame rates for me to want to settle for 30 fps. I've been enjoying the game on Xbox One X, and I've already seen some performance improvements post-patch, so I'm hoping they continue to optimize the game.

THat switch version looks fucking bad
Yeah, the water doesn't even look like water.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's literally unplayable at time. I have to stop moving to allow everything to 'catch up' otherwise I face a cr

People do care. They care a lot, actually. I want the game to run smooth like it should and for there to be no hitches when calculating drops or receiving shards. There wasn't any in 1.00, so why are they there now in the patches?

The thing is it's still an awesome game. It has some issues, definitely, and the game breaking stuff is hopefully already behind us with the previous update.

I agree it should have been pushed back a few months. Hopefully we'll get a complete pressing down the line.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
This dude is on a crusade against physical media since months for reasons. Always arguing in bad faith and lives in a realm outiside of reality.
I see. Well, i do agree with that its best that games are as bug free as possible on physical media of course, but yeah, i dont think its that big of a deal as he makes it out to be :P Patches will be easily available for years to come.

---

And just to add, for whats it worth, i've played the game for maybe 6-8 hours on a PS4 Pro, i havnt had any crashes yet. The only issue i have is that the minimap keep appearing on the screen after i die, which mean that i have to disable it every time i die. Not a huge issue though. After a while, i actually started prefering having the minimap on the screen.

I'm enjoying the game but it is a technical mess even on my PS4 Pro. Can't imagine playing on the switch.

For how long it's been in production and how much money has been put into it, one would expect it to look and run much better. Game feels like it's barely holding together at the seams...not to mention there's a fear that patches will break it further.
Have you had any issues on PS4 pro? I'm maybe 6-8 hours into the game and havnt had any crashes yet. Only bug i've seen is a minimap bug. I've played on patch 1.03 since the start.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And just to add, for whats it worth, i've played the game for maybe 6-8 hours on a PS4 Pro, i havnt had any crashes yet.
In that same period of time I had half a dozen crashes on my Pro. I haven't had one since then and I'm almost done the game for the second time (first on Normal, second on Hard).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea the PS4 version struggled this much with framerate. Switch never had a chance to hit 60fps. To be honest, the Switch port looks reasonably close. It is, after all, a pretty impressive looking game as far as 2.5D platformers go.

Regarding input lag on the Switch, as far as I understand 140ms~ is about average for 30fps games. Not sure how much, if at all, will they be able to improve that.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
In that same period of time I had half a dozen crashes on my Pro. I haven't had one since then and I'm almost done the game for the second time (first on Normal, second on Hard).
Did you play it on version 1.00? I only played it on version 1.03, and i'm still not too far into the game. I think i have like 15% map completion.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Did you play it on version 1.00? I only played it on version 1.03, and i'm still not too far into the game. I think i have like 15% map completion.
I started on 1.02 and later updated to 1.03 long after the crashes stopped happening to me. I was a hell of a lot further than that in that time though. Have you just been going back and forth this whole time?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Where is this spiral tower?

Digital Foundry are way to lenient on these crap Switch ports in my opinion.

They always say 'well that's about all that could be expected'. I don't buy that.
Switch games can and should be better.
I don't buy that! The hardware just isn't as capable as people seem to think and games like this, running on UE4, are more demanding than folks seem to believe.

Knowing how it runs on other consoles, the Switch is pretty much where I expected.

It was *NEVER* going to be 60fps - no chance. You see how it runs on PS4 and Xbox One. It was always going to be 30fps and it delivers that.

Most UE4 games on Switch, when docked, are lower than 720p so Bloodstained has that advantage. Resolution is higher than average for a UE4 Switch game.

The big issue with the visuals comes down to texture resolution being rather low. The input latency and loading issue is fixable.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Heh I also got a crash when reading a book on PC...but just a single time in 15 hours of game time. Made me weary every time I checked a bookshelf after that, though. :P
Quite baffling how badly optimized this game is (on consoles) for what it delivers, graphically speaking.
?

It's a very good looking game. UE4 is just usually a performance hog on consoles.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I started on 1.02 and later updated to 1.03 long after the crashes stopped happening to me. I was a hell of a lot further than that in that time though. Have you just been going back and forth this whole time?
I see. Maybe patch 1.03 fixed many of the crashes.

Hehe, nah :) I have done some backtracking and exploring, but much of it comes from dying, having to replay certain sections. I saw in the menu that its possible to put some temporary save, but i never looked into that. I only saved in the save rooms. Its possible that i'm overestimated my playtime earlier. Maybe its 5-6 hours.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's that part shown in your video when you say that, surprisingly, the Switch version runs at a steady 30fps versus the other consoles. The Twin Dragon Tower.
Right so why are some folks getting single digit frame-rates? I was unable to dip it on Switch, as you saw in the video.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Should put a list of problems people have with the Switch version in the op. There's no info there even if it's not quoted from the video, even if you want people to click the source video you can at least say what's so bad about it from the account of others or personal experience.

What I gathered from the first page.
*Long loading.
*Looks bad graphically

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right so why are some folks getting single digit frame-rates? I was unable to dip it on Switch, as you saw in the video.

I' m personally used to this user going full hyperbole, I wouldn't take anything he says seriously, tbh.

By the way thanks for this analysis, great work as always.

I personally had 2 or 3 one second screen freezes in that section myself, but this was on version 0.1, so it may have been ironed out in 1.1

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's a very good looking game. UE4 is just usually a performance hog on consoles.
Didn't say it wasn't good looking. It certainly doesn't seem justify the bad performance though, especially when you compare it with something as huge (from a rendering budget perspective) as, say, Days Gone on PS4 for instance, or Sea of Thieves on the One X, both also running on UE4.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I' m personally used to this user going full hyperbole, I wouldn't take anything he says seriously, tbh.

By the way thanks for this analysis, great work as always.

I personally had 2 or 3 one second screen freezes in that section myself, but this was on version 0.1, so it may have been ironed out in 1.1

there's like one small section of the spiral tower where the game lags pretty bad on Switch, the rest of that area is fine though

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say it wasn't good looking. It certainly doesn't seem justify the bad performance though, especially when you compare it with something as huge (from a rendering budget perspective) as, say, Days Gone on PS4 for instance, or Sea of Thieves on the One X, both also running on UE4.
Open world or not, both of those games run at 30fps. Like dark1x said in the video, how many UE4 games run at 4K/60fps on the One X?