Status
Not open for further replies.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
SDKs are a work in progress for anyone working on launch games. You're working on a moving target with a lot of things broken. Being told up front about another build configuration, what Microsoft's vision is and how to plan for it would be sufficient for how things go until it's ready.
True, but it's still very late in the day to have an SDK that builds against that target and let's you run profiling tools.
Mind you, we've already seen a load of footage of games running on the series s and they looked great considering the resolution target so clearly it isn't a big issue for some developers.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
My biggest concern is how it will handle games that max out the Series X RT capabilities, it'll be trying to make up for the CU differences while also trying to use those same CUs to Trace rays, even if it were magically able to just Ray Trace, it's theoretical maximum is still only 69 rays per clock if the texture units do absolutely nothing.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, he's not happy about the 16GB either.

How would other consoles be impacted though, this is purely an Xbox setup, as Andrew Goosen mentioned they design on Xbox SX then scale down, and what we saw from the demonstration looked great (RT in Watchdog running on XSS)

I imagine that shooting for the moon and then realizing that the weaker console can't do what you want it to just slows down development and causes you to compromise your design. These things need to be planned out in advance.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
So you think a game made for the PS5 would need to be ported to the Series X..but not PC even though PC will be taking advantage of technology found inside the series X?
Was specifically referring to the SSD.
PC's will have SSD's fast enough to port PS5 games, in fact, they'll be/are available this year.

The Series X doesn't have that option, so it'll always be limited to the speed of it's current SSD. If a dev designs a game around the PS5's SSD, it'll have to be gimped on the X. That's just a fact.

Again, not visually speaking, the X is still more powerful. A game designed for the X though will always be possible on the PS5, but with visual setbacks (upscaled resolutions/blurrier RT effects etc.), but it'll still run - It'll only run worse.

By contrast, it might not run at all on the X.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Seems like a mixed bag of reactions from devs, which I think is understandable. It's essentially more work to squeeze the most out of both platforms.

They all seem mega impressed by it from a consumer standpoint though. Xbox's strategy is in full effect now, dominate the low end and the high end.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Developers/Studios should just skip the SS if it bottling them to much. No need to waste time on systems that you think are limiting you too much.
Unless Microsoft allows for games to only work on the Series X (which I highly doubt), the only way to skip developing for the XSS is to skip the Xbox platform all together.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
What are they going to do? Not allow studios to release their games on series X? Giving free console exclusives to Sony? That is something that would hurt MS a lot and i don't know if they would recover from that.
Well, Microsoft would threaten that yes, and every developer/publisher would listen and make a Series S version. You're simply not gonna see games skip the Series S but release on the Series X, it would cause an insane shitstorm aimed at Microsoft.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Wow, that's harsh... Wonder if we'll start seeing more PS5 exclusives (not moneyhatted) due to developers not wanting to bother with the Series S... it will all depend on the install base and if MS will allow for XSX exclusive games down the line. We'll see how it plays out.
Given that every generation has had 1-2 years of cross-gen games, I can't see this happening.

Devs and pubs arent going to skip out on free money.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I was just thinking about this a couple of days ago, wondering if the only difference between both skus was going to be just resolution.
This doesn't sound too promising really

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The RAM situation is about what I expected when I first saw the specs, but I trusted other voices claiming that it was solely downgraded to adjust for lower target resolution. I'm actually super curious to read up on this; is there a detailed write-up of how increased resolution actually affects VRAM? I'm assuming it's a bunch of uncompressed pixel buffers, but my notepad math isn't adding up that well.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm getting the Series-X....but as far as the Series-S is concerned, I trust that the MS engineers did their homework.

This is my thinking as well - while these are valid concerns, many of these impressions don't appear to be informed by time with the hardware.

I imagine MS knew from the start that two separate SKU's would raise these questions and they'll have approached this carefully.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
What are they going to do? Not allow studios to release their games on series X? Giving free console exclusives to Sony? That is something that would hurt MS a lot and i don't know if they would recover from that.
Studios will ship their games on XSS just fine, developers don't decide where the games they develop release on, that is up to executives and they don't care if they can't push graphics to their limit.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
True, but it's still very late in the day to have an SDK that builds against that target and let's you run profiling tools.
Mind you, we've already seen a load of footage of games running on the series s and they looked great considering the resolution target so clearly it isn't a big issue for some developers.

Eh, I dunno, everything is late in the day when developing launch titles and getting things. To me, that seems more than sufficient because at that point you've planned for it and you're doing cleanup and optimization to validate things work as you expected with enough time to clean it up. The whole idea here is it shouldn't be a huge amount of work or hindrance to the developer so I don't see a problem here with the time frame.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Microsoft would threaten that yes, and every developer/publisher would listen and make a Series S version. You're simply not gonna see games skip the Series S but release on the Series X, it would cause an insane shitstorm aimed at Microsoft.

Plus, why leave money on the table?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Was specifically referring to the SSD.
PC's will have SSD's fast enough to port PS5 games, in fact, they'll be/are available this year.

The Series X doesn't have that option, so it'll always be limited to the speed of it's current SSD. If a dev designs a game around the PS5's SSD, it'll have to be gimped on the X. That's just a fact.

Again, not visually speaking, the X is still more powerful. A game designed for the X though will always be possible on the PS5, but with visual setbacks (upscaled resolutions/blurrier RT effects etc.), but it'll still run - It'll only run worse.

By contrast, it might not run at all on the X.

This is great.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this isn't ever going to be an option. Series S will have a much larger install base then X, publishers aren't going to abandon Series S or Xbox because of some Devs disagree with hardware specs. Astonished that you even mentioned it tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
My biggest concern is how it will handle games that max out the Series X RT capabilities, it'll be trying to make up for the CU differences while also trying to use those same CUs to Trace rays, even if it were magically able to just Ray Trace, it's theoretical maximum is still only 69 rays per clock if the texture units do absolutely nothing.

It's simple, devs won't do that, they won't "max out the Series X RT capabilities". They'll design a model that works for the XSS at whatever resolution they're targeting, scale up for XSX and then adjust effects to maximise use of resources there. Not only for RT, but for any load that doesn't scale neatly with resolution (GPUs do a lot more than push pixels).

Down-porting is always much harder than up-porting, given the choice devs will always go for the latter.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Lots of disappointed kids coming this Christmas morning.

"Jimmy, Sarah. It's been hard for everyone, what with the pandemic, the recession, and us both losing our jobs, but we thought to get you a big treat for Christmas. We were only just able to afford it but because of a very nice payment plan, and because you've both been so amazing this year, we could get it for you! Go on, open it!"

The two children excitedly rip the wrapping paper from the box sitting underneath the Christmas tree. It's an Xbox Series X with 24 whole months of Game Pass Ultimate!

Their excited faces turn to disappointment.

Then anger.

"What the fuck is this, Mom? Dad? What the fuck is this?" exclaims Jimmy. He had only just learnt to swear that October.

"This is some pure shite," says Sarah. "Don't you know that the Xbox Series S has lower RAM than its Series X counterpart and will, therefore, reduce the baseline minimum spec developers have to create their games around in the future? Frankly I don't think you even considered the potential ramifications of this purchasing decision. If only you had listened and, perhaps, loved us enough, you'd have bought the console which won't completely ruin the rest of gaming for everyone."

"Look, we're sorry; we can get a refund..." the mother cries.

"OK, Boomer," Jimmy screams.

"Timmy next door got a 3080! I hate you!" Sarah shouts as she slams the front door; a last farewell before moving to greener pastures.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It's simple, devs won't do that, they won't "max out the Series X RT capabilities". They'll design a model that works for the XSS at whatever resolution they're targeting, scale up for XSX and then adjust effects to maximise use of resources there. Not only for RT, but for any load that doesn't scale neatly with resolution (GPUs do a lot more than push pixels).

Down-porting is always much harder than up-porting, given the choice devs will always go for the latter.
So, all multiplatform games are held back by the S? No devs are going to try to push the X or the PS5 because they don't want to over-burden the S?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What the status of third party games games on the Xbox One (S) these days? Still facing those visual hurdles since launch?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So even if we get Pro consoles with double the ram, devs may still not make the best use of it, since assets will still be made for a minimum spec machine.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has AMD revealed how or what is their HW accelerated Ray tracing? In terms of the architecture? Do they have dedicated CUs?
I'm just wondering how's the RT performance between the Series S and X

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Whilst it's obviously absolutely ridiculous to question or contest developer concerns here, as topics like this are literally their bread and butter, is it really that unreasonable to wonder whether they've worked with the hardware and software? There's clearly good cause for concern here - so many devs are echoing this - but to say definitively that 'Series S is a major problem that will significantly impede next-generation development' is surely a conclusion that would require them to have spent time with the hardware and tools first.

Series S is clearly an additional hurdle and thereby problem. But to actually assert how much of a problem really remains to be seen, and surely a lot of that will be contingent on the dev tools and environment MS has built to facilitate simultaneous Series S/X development.

You literally said it's ridiculous to question or contest developer concern and then you continued to question and contest their concern haha.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This. For now i'd rather take the word of devs who we know to be currently working with the hardware.. let me know when CD project , EA, Ubisoft , Bungie, Moon and Blooper devs chime in.
Remedy is as we speak working on CrossfireX, a cross-gen Xbox game releasing this year. There's also no way a studio like ID Software isn't working on next-gen Xbox stuff as well.
I don't think that has an S|X version confirmed at this time.

It would just be running on BC at this point.
Game is listed as Xbox One & Xbox Series X on the Xbox website and is "Optimized for Series X".

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine that back in 2013 Sony released a console with 0.8TF and 6G of ram at 249 and named it the PS4S.
Would it have been smart to target 480p at that point in time? Is it smart to target 1080p/1440p at this point in time? Bear in mind only ~50% of households have 4K tvs in UK and US.

Status
Not open for further replies.