• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be greatly surprised if there are actually multiple campaigns in the game.

I imagine a single story campaign, where you change characters depending on the story. And maybe on consecutive playthroughs you can play as whoever you want in any chapter.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
RE6's pacing issues were because it was an awful game. DMC4 had the joint campaign and it had pretty bad pacing too.

It's not the campaigns structure so much as the quality of it's use. I want separate campaigns as it's what I prefer, not something I think would make the game inherently superior. It's more of a subjective thing.
Yeah it is subjective for sure.

For me, I've yet to play a game with multiple different campaigns (that were available from the get go) with good pacing, while on the other hand having one campaign with different playable characters can do wonders for the pacing if done right. Case in point, Yakuza 0.
Sorry for saying this, but this was the least of the problems it had...
Great monsters design at least.
Ofc, but in that instace we were specifically talking about the campaigns and their structure.

I imagine a single story campaign, where you change characters depending on the story. And maybe on consecutive playthroughs you can play as whoever you want in any chapter.
Imo that would be the best case scenario.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think RE6 had bad pacing because of the separate campaigns. I think it had bad pacing because... it just had bad pacing. It tries to keep the accelerator pinned for 20+ hours without ever trying to slow down or take a break, and it just gets exhausting after a while. I quite liked having multiple shorter campaigns with their own unique styles, areas and bosses, but unfortunately the game was just so bloated and messy the idea sank with it. I think a DMC5 with three separate, interlinking campaigns of roughly DMC1 length would be really cool.

I loved Yakuza 0, too, but keep in mind it's like 50 hours long so you have time to get back into the swing of things when you change characters (and Kiryu and Majima's playstyles aren't really all that different anyway). I don't think the same system of regularly swapping back and forth between Nero, Dante and V would work if you were chopping and changing every couple of missions in a game that'll probably be 15 hours long at most. And if you set it up so that, for example, you play the beginning as Nero, middle as V and end as Dante, I feel like that'd be even less satisfying because you wouldn't get to go through a full difficulty curve or story arc with any of them. DMC4 comes to a screeching halt and the difficulty curve more or less starts over in the middle of the game once you get control of Dante and have to learn how to play as him, and with V's playstyle sounding even more different than anything we've ever seen in DMC before you'd have two of those moments for DMC5 with a single campaign.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Q6: Since there are three characters, should we expect the story to be divided in three equal parts like Resident Evil 6, or will it be mainly focused on Nero with the possibility to play the other characters at times?

MW: Oh that's a good question. (laughs)

HI: Devil May Cry V happens during one single storyline*, where each of these characters will have a role to play. They will meet and interact with each other.

* The word originally used is "timeline" but "storyline" is more precise.
https://old.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/9bbbgp/gamescom_interview_by_jordan_c_from_actugaming/

Seeing the full question and answer makes me believe it even more that it will be one single campaign.

In regards to the switch between characters, I agree that 2 missions wouldn't def be enough, but hopefully (if it is one campaign) they can balance it so that you have enough time with each character.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with one campaign. I will NOT be okay with reused bosses and levels (unless said level has been majorly overhauled).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
That would suck. DMC4's campaign had this issue where just as you were really feeling Nero you get Dante, then when you start feeling Dante you switch back to Nero. It felt a bit disjointed, and I'm not even talking about the rushed nature of the campaign.

Really hope all three campaigns are separated. Single time line could still mean that each campaign happens around the same time. So I'll still hold out hope for that.
It could be like DMC 4 but without the repeated environments/bosses, and later on you can pick your character for any mission that would work well i think.
There is not much we can pick from that line, either way you will start the game as Nero and move on to the other characters

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switching characters in these kind of games is shit. I'd rather play the whole game with 1 dude, and then again with the other. You need to invest time in those before it clicks.

Oct 27, 2017
https://old.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/9bbbgp/gamescom_interview_by_jordan_c_from_actugaming/

Seeing the full question and answer makes me believe it even more that it will be one single campaign.

In regards to the switch between characters, I agree that 2 missions wouldn't def be enough, but hopefully (if it is one campaign) they can balance it so that you have enough time with each character.

Ah well. Kinda annoyed but game will be lit either way.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

As long as we can freely switch between them after beating the game once I'll be fine.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The multiple-characters thing is a biiiiig part of why I wanted the game to do away with the conventional chapter-based structure; it means you either have to treat a bunch of the characters as bonuses (like Trish/Lady and Vergil in DMC4SE) who aren't really participating in the story, or you're only giving each character a mini-campaign.

We'll see how it works out.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
The mental gymnastics. A lot of assumptions, just wait until there is real concrete information.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Dem goggles tho
HBvYrLm.png

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
EDGE

"Capcom takes stylish action to dizzying heights in Dante's most spectacular game to date"

"Beginning on page 60, we find how Capcom is building on that foundation to deliver what already looks like the first essential game of 2019"

"This series has never looked so spectacular or been so varried in its combat"

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
EDGE

"Capcom takes stylish action to dizzying heights in Dante's most spectacular game to date"

"Beginning on page 60, we find how Capcom is building on that foundation to deliver what already looks like the first essential game of 2019"

"This series has never looked so spectacular or been so varried in its combat"

As much as I love the positivity, this ain't even the first essential Capcom game of 2019 and we all know it.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I've never read an Edge article before so I don't know their style, this DMC5 article they put out was absolutely glowing with positivity.

Is this normal for them?

Idk, but i'd assume that they don't usually hype a game as much as this

Their reviews are very harsh too.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Edge gave bayonetta and bayonetta 2 10s.
This is their type of game. Wouldn't be surprised if dmc5 ends up being a 10 from them as well with an overall meta in line with the bayonetta series

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Man I want this game right now. First time I've felt that about a game since... I dunno, Smash Wii U maybe?

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
A triumphant header that's rarely seen from EDGE, given their rather harsh stance towards (almost) every AAA game. I think we're in for a huge treat by Capcom.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
A triumphant header that's rarely seen from EDGE, given their rather harsh stance towards (almost) every AAA game. I think we're in for a huge treat by Capcom.

The game will have big shoes to fill with this level of hype

Think they're up to the task?

Gosh, this thread brings back memories. Didn't expect to see it again.
Google led me her a few days after E3, it had already more than 100 pages – and I read all of them! Took me days, but it was a hell of fun. Got me stuck here till I finally took the challenge to sign up.

Oct 26, 2017
On the other hand, look at the score they gave to all DMC games
Well that notable one, prior to DmC, was like 10 years back, right? I mean, reviewers and times have changed so I wouldn't exactly be shocked if this one gets a high score, especially if impressions are great

Keeping my fingers crossed at any rate. Alongside Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5 is one of my most anticipated games for next year

Error404

Oct 29, 2017
Any word on what Capcom plans to do with Dante's theme song? I know they mentioned they would see what they could do about adjusting it when they got hit with all the backlash. The version with the vocals just kills me, plus all the other shit with the guy behind them. There's plenty of instrumental versions on youtube that I actually kind of enjoy. Just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IvB3RrEKhQ&list=LL92sOvDDjmiACq

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Any word on what Capcom plans to do with Dante's theme song? I know they mentioned they would see what they could do about adjusting it when they got hit with all the backlash. The version with the vocals just kills me, plus all the other shit with the guy behind them. There's plenty of instrumental versions on youtube that I actually kind of enjoy. Just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IvB3RrEKhQ&list=LL92sOvDDjmiACq

I don't think they said anything more than whats known.. maybe they'll do an instrumental remix?
maybe they'll remix Devils Never Cry and call it a day.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
They are not sure yet. Matt has said that they honestly don't have the time and resources to make a new theme song for Dante. So at best they'll either replace it with DT (another classic song from deluxe pack) or they try and use a instrumental only version.

The option to use the og song will def be in the final game tho, but it most likely won't be the default theme for Dante. (this is obv an speculation on my part btw)

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They are not sure yet. Matt has said that they honestly don't have the time and resources to make a new theme song for Dante. So at best they'll either replace it with DT (another classic song from deluxe pack) or they try and use a instrumental only version.

The option to use the og song will def be in the final game tho, but it most likely won't be the default theme for Dante. (this is obv an speculation on my part btw)

an instrumental version of subhuman wouldn't be the worst thing in the world I suppose. I assume if we use a deluxe pack song, we lose out on the music amping up with the style meter? I'd buy the deluxe edition so hard if they managed to somehow work that feature into the deluxe pack songs, but that would end up being a ton of extra work that probably won't be feasible.