• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
After looking through Steam you can buy the DE content separately.

The Gerbera GP01 costs £0.79. I don't know when it'll unlock for purchase though.

Last edited:

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
If you press the button without holding any direction, it quickly launches you and enemies that are close straight up (or down if you are in the air).
I mean, it's not essential for beating the game, but as a combo tool it has a clear advantage over the regular Gerbera.
Oh wow yea that is huge, I can see that being super useful for all sorts of combos.

Devil breaker is such a cool new mechanic, love it!

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Review thread is going to be a bloodbath, I think. A highly technical, hard as nails character action game isn't going to get glowing reviews in 2019, and late in the gen. No way no how.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That 3 days is harder than 11 years. Damn, I want this game.

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Review thread is going to be a bloodbath, I think. A highly technical, hard as nails character action game isn't going to get glowing reviews in 2019, and late in the gen. No way no how.

You're in for a surprise

we all are

rq07W46.png

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but this thing is gonna kill it critically.

He's right though, DMC is pretty technical and at low level of play which journalists will be it just isn't that flashy and crazy compared to DmC or Bayo or even Ninja Gaiden. You need to do some homework to unlock the real meat.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
He's right though, DMC is pretty technical and at low level of play which journalists will be it just isn't that flashy and crazy compared to DmC or Bayo or even Ninja Gaiden. You need to do some homework to unlock the real meat.

That's true. I'm not saying critics are gonna play the game very well but I think they'll still enjoy it a lot even at a very basic level. DMC3 is technical as hell and still has an 84 or so. With it's different playable characters and amazing graphics and performance, this will definitely score well above an 80 even if those playing it suck.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, and I don't mean that as a a cheesy "journos suck!" thing. But it's a game that you really need to dig in, and I don't feel like that's possible with deadlines and a dozen other games to play. I think people are setting themselves up for dissapointment in term of reviews. This won't score highly but it's true worth, the fanbase will figure out in the years to come.

Outside of DMC1 this franchise historically has been a mid 80s one in terms of average. This game will definitely take a hit because of it's very nature, and that's fine.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. I'm not saying critics are gonna play the game very well but I think they'll still enjoy it a lot even at a very basic level. DMC3 is technical as hell and still has an 84 or so. With it's different playable characters and amazing graphics and performance, this will definitely score well above an 80 even if those playing it suck.

Oh right I kinda glimpsed over the bloodbath part which I don't think will really happen. I'm expecting mid to low 80s myself, I'd be surprised at 90+ because of the technicality of the combat.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017

You'll be surprised. Bunch of sites already hinted that this is going to be the magnum opus of DMC series.

btw DMC 5 is currently number 1 on top selling lists (video games) of Steam and Amazon UK. Thirst is real.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Looking at the highest platform score, and excluding DMC2 -- the franchise average is at 87%. DMC1 and DMC3SE of course leading the pack at 94-87.

With DMC4 and DmC in the mid 80s.

DMC5 can easily be a 90 Opencritic. You just take the foundation set by DMC4 and DmC and make the necessary improvements.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
I'll be surprised if it goes above 90 metacritic. This is a series that doesn't really abide to modern AAA game standards, it'll be interesting to see if game journalists will adapt to it or reject it completely.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
V's playstyle isn't really my jam but goddamn his taunts are something else!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game isnt hard at all, reviewers are going to be fine. Unless they attempt DMD mode where the real challenge is.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This game isnt hard at all, reviewers are going to be fine. Unless they attempt DMD mode where the real challenge is.

I don't think people are speaking about ''hard'' as difficutly.

For people to actually feel good and enjoy the game they do need to learn more then using triple Y combos.

You can get by with buttonmashing in Bayonetta or DmC just fine while still looking flashy and still make the player feel he has some real input. That doesn't really happen with DMC since mashing the same buttons will get you nowhere and it will feel repetitive because of it.

I have a friend that's a journo and he told me he feels the game isn't complex enough(lol) and that Nero has and I quote ''limited combos''. I saw him play and all he does is the Red Queen combo A(excessive amount) with the ocasional air launches.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think it will get good reviews just maybe not a 90, i guess higher than dmc4/DmC but below 1, but im hoping for that mc must have previews were very positive and its not like Bayonetta doesn't get 9s so can Devil May Cry

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people are speaking about ''hard'' as difficutly.

For people to actually feel good and enjoy the game they do need to learn more then using triple Y combos.

You can get by with buttonmashing in Bayonetta or DmC just fine while still looking flashy and still make the player feel he has some real input. That doesn't really happen with DMC since mashing the same buttons will get you nowhere and it will feel repetitive because of it.

I have a friend that's a journo and he told me he feels the game isn't complex enough(lol) and that Nero has and I quote ''limited combos''. I saw him play and all he does is the Red Queen combo A(excessive amount) with the ocasional air launches.

Yeah I have a cousin who when DMC3 came out didn't think it was so great. When I saw him play, all he did was mash triangle and sometimes just fire she shotgun constantly.

Mar 5, 2019
Considering how the preview coverage for this game has been close to universally positive, I can't see any outcome other than high praise from the majority of outlets.

I feel like people are overestimating the skill floor for these games.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of DMC3 , every other DMC game has received exactly the score it deserves. I expect DMCV to be 90+.

Standards are different now. Bayonetta is also at a 90+ , And I don't think the difficulty of both games are super different to the casual audience.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Outside of DMC3 , every other DMC game has received exactly the score it deserves. I expect DMCV to be 90+.

Standards are different now. Bayonetta is also at a 90+ , And I don't think the difficulty of both games are super different to the casual audience.

The thing is, in Bayo games you can easily power through while feeling awesome by just mashing buttons, having 2 designated attack buttons and dodge button really helps achieving that feeling. That's not the case with DMC where not putting the minimum effort will just result in repeating combos.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Its weird how much I want DMC5 to break into the 90's because I know its a 10 but will people discover ex-act is a thing?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will get good reviews just maybe not a 90, i guess higher than dmc4/DmC but below 1, but im hoping for that mc must have previews were very positive and its not like Bayonetta doesn't get 9s so can Devil May Cry
You are 100% right on Bayonetta. Didn't think of that. I'll remain adamant that DMC5 won't reach those heights but you are right, there is precedent. Man, Bayonetta 2 was so goooood.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The thing that catches new players out with Nero I think is how intertwined a lot of his movement options are with his attacks. It's a different concept to just attacking and then dodging. Sometimes an attack can also be like a dodge. Then you get into the exceed system which just adds even greater mobility to everything Nero does.

Dante doesn't really present that learning hurdle cause he had a style which is all about movement

kleenex

Oct 29, 2017
V's playstyle is giving me major Wonderful101 vibes after I unlocked some abilities. Also boo at not being able to pause cutscenes, pressing start just skips them.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
As Reference (Metacritic Scores):

Ninja Gaiden Black: 94
Bayonetta: 90
Bayonetta 2: 91
NiOh: 88
BloodBorne: 92

Challenging games have never stopped reviewers from giving out high scores in the past.