• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
On my way home, will have to download the game and the new driver, so approximately 2 hours from now I can attempt to unlock sos on my fresh run.

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've grown out of DMC combat.

I played a LOT of DMC3 and 4, and I can play the characters eyes closed. But DMC5 doesn't really excite me, there's way too little new stuff for Nero and Dante, and I don't like V either. The stages are even less interesting to explore than DMC4 (which wasn't great already...).
To me it all feels like a cheap rehash but with a fresh coat of beautiful graphics.

The thing is, DMC3 and 4 weren't perfect games, some adjustments and changes would've been welcome and needed. But DMC5 does none of that, it really is a PS2 game reskin.

I much prefer the more recent games by Platinum than what Capcom made here.

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017

I played a LOT of DMC3 and 4, and I can play the characters eyes closed. But DMC5 doesn't really excite me, there's way too little new stuff for Nero and Dante, and I don't like V either. The stages are even less interesting to explore than DMC4 (which wasn't great already...).
To me it all feels like a cheap rehash but with a fresh coat of beautiful graphics.

The thing is, DMC3 and 4 weren't perfect games, some adjustments and changes would've been welcome and needed. But DMC5 does none of that, it really is a PS2 game reskin.

Jesus.

A lot of the impressions in here are worrying, based on the reviews I thought people would shouting how awesome this game is. I'll be diving in tonight, I bought the digital deluxe edition..I hope I don't regret it.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus.

A lot of the impressions in here are worrying, based on the reviews I thought people would shouting how awesome this game is. I'll be diving in tonight, I bought the digital deluxe edition..I hope I don't regret it.
yeah, game prettymuch is an update of dmc4 mroe or less..at elast for now (i'm on the second boss,mission 4)

that being said the genre has seen so little action lately that every new entry is welcome even if it doesn't add that much

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to Mission 14.

So fucking good.

The question is now do I go to bed or play some more?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Pressing start to immediately skip cutscenes operates on such a stupid level of bullshit, that I can't handle it.

This is my one major complaint with the game so far. I noticed it in the demo, but I hoped it was going to be different for the full game. Just instantly skipping a cutscene instead of pausing it and bringing up the standard Resume/Skip option feels ridiculous in 2019. Hopefully they can patch it.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

I think this matches my assessment of the game. Although, I still really enjoy the combat and it's much better now that I've unlocked a whole bunch of stuff (still have a tonne more to unlock too). I'm just disappointed after 11 years this is the story and level design they came up with, it's pretty poor.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Doing a second playthrough, this is the most a DMC title has benefited in a replay. Some really nice features added and the pre-vis cutscenes make for an entertaining change.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
reached the second boss..i didn't like the first one that much..the collision detection was a big iffy and the boss was all full swings that covered a shitton of space.

game hasn't "clicked" for me yet..can't seem to get a stylish score, sometimes becaue i'm bad, sometimes becaue i lose combo score trying to see where the hell the enemies are since the camera isn't much of a teamate in this game.

you don't have any way to switch between devil breakers right? seems like a pretty annoying limitation

also..how do i use the rocket punch effectively? I jump on it but most of the time i just lose combo score trying to actually manouvre th damn thing and i seem to be way less effective in general when i'm on that thing..doesn't help that the game doesn't seem to explain the moveset.

let's see if the game gets better

it gets better in the second half, just take your first playthrough as learning time with the game, it is no challenge anyways and it is more meant to ease you into the mechanics gradually. don´t forget to go into the void to practice a little, you can do that from the main menu.

the game begins to shine after the first playthrough, everything before is just a large intro/tutorial for new and returning players

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Can someone explain to me how to chain kill enemies as V? I don't know when in the animation I'm supposed to hit the button again.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
V is so fucking buggy. I'm really trying to get a hang of his skill set but it's hard when your summons don't fucking aim right.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Nico is totally an hommage to FFXV's Cindy, right?

Yellow top + mini jean + southern accent +the fact that they're both mechanics and also the fact that we have to go talk to her to upgrade our shit (was for the Regalia in FFXV) even the music in her shop reminds me of the music when we upgrade the Regalia lmao.

Or maybe that's just the japanese stereotype for a mechanic

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 questions

1) did they alter the scene where nero loses his arm?
2)The deluxe edition content includes actual weapons, are these just cosmetic alterations with the same move sets as weapons in game?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it gets better in the second half, just take your first playthrough as learning time with the game, it is no challenge anyways and it is more meant to ease you into the mechanics gradually. don´t forget to go into the void to practice a little, you can do that from the main menu.

the game begins to shine after the first playthrough, everything before is just a large intro/tutorial for new and returning players
I'm going to let you in on a secret. 99% of people who like to play action games aren't in it to master the combat or make sweet combo videos. They will play through once and want to have a good time. So stop with this 'your first play through is just a big tutorial' wank.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Man playing as V is both exciting and weird.

I can do great against enemies but I'm awful against bosses with him. Don't know how am I supposed to deal with bosses using V's abilities.

Anyway, this game is so fun to play. The character switching really helps keep the game fresh. I also love the cutscnes and the way characters interact with each other. This is all I wanted from DMC5.
Had a similar experience. I kept myself on the dark with V and I have a hard time getting used to Shadow especially. There's such a delay to a lot of his actions and I often can't get him where want him to go. I'll be right next to an enemy and he'll just fuck off to the other side of the map.

Still, I'm glad they included him, his playstyle is the most anti-DMC thing ever and it's very interesting. I feel like the style crowd is gonna hate him though.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to let you in on a secret. 99% of people who like to play action games aren't in it to master the combat or make sweet combo videos. They will play through once and want to have a good time. So stop with this 'your first play through is just a big tutorial' wank.
Just because you dont want to accept the truth, doesn't make it any less true. You think the S ranks are there for a laugh? The developers ask for mastery, memorization, knowledge, commitment. That comes with time, and multiple playthroughs. You might as well bungle your way through Hitman levels one time and turn the game back in.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
No need to get so aggressive dude. The whole nature of these games is that you're GOING to suck on your first playthrough, if you want to do well then you gotta earn it through practice. I think that's true for DMC especially where you HAVE to be good to put anything remotely impressive on the screen (unlike a lot of Platinum's games for instance). If you're not willing to put it in the time, Easy mode and Auto Assist are both available.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I'm Iove with the game. While I totally understand those who feel like it has not evolved enough since 4 (which it absolutely has not), for me personally that is not a negative. I have played so many 100+ hour games with an epic story in the last year alone, I'm just so happy right now with a game that is 100% party from start to finish. It does exactly what it wants to do, and if that is not what you want, that absolutely fine, but I don't see it as an "objective fault" of the game that it feels like a top tier ps2 game with modern graphics. I kinda missed this type of game tbh.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 questions

1) did they alter the scene where nero loses his arm?
2)The deluxe edition content includes actual weapons, are these just cosmetic alterations with the same move sets as weapons in game?
2) the devil breaker are unique, the weapon are vairnat of existing ones but with some things added that mmake them unique

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Nico is totally an hommage to FFXV's Cindy, right?

Yellow top + mini jean + southern accent +the fact that they're both mechanics and also the fact that we have to go talk to her to upgrade our shit (was for the Regalia in FFXV) even the music in her shop reminds me of the music when we upgrade the Regalia lmao.

Or maybe that's just the japanese stereotype for a mechanic
FFXV was the first thing I thought of when I heard her track, it's very similar yeah.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because you dont want to accept the truth, doesn't make it any less true. You think the S ranks are there for a laugh? The developers ask for mastery, memorization, knowledge, commitment. That comes with time, and multiple playthroughs. You might as well bungle your way through Hitman levels one time and turn the game back in.
No need to get so aggressive dude. The whole nature of these games is that you're GOING to suck on your first playthrough, if you want to do well then you gotta earn it through practice. I think that's true for DMC especially where you HAVE to be good to put anything remotely impressive on the screen (unlike a lot of Platinum's games for instance). If you're not willing to put it in the time, Easy mode and Auto Assist are both available.
DMC fans making out that playing the game is on par with conducting a symphony is such a meme at this point. One guy ITT compared playing DMC with mastering a musical instrument. It's hilarious.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

well, to each their own, for me those games always screamed "replayability" like nothing else, they are basically made for this...

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well, to each their own, for me those games always screamed "replayability" like nothing else, they are basically made for this...
That's cool. I like to replay them too. But the vast majority of people won't. DMC fans need to stop being so fragile and making out that playing these games requires a PHD in Edgelord controller skillz.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is excellent for DMC fans.

It looks absolutely fucking baller, from a character action game you'd expect a lower budget but DMCV is actually one of the best looking games out there. The gameplay is spot on, and feels familliar which I think is a plus.

I honestly wonder what people expect. This is a new DMC, and its true to its roots. It curb stomps DmC and I feel its also an improvement over 4. DMC4 SE has an edge because of added features such as Turbo mode, 3 extra characters etc but I can't wait for DMCV's DLC. Someone mentioned replayability. Yes, I have played 4SE for over 70 hours in a myriad of different difficulties and different chars. Thats not even much, but its nearly 10x a single campaign run.

The level design is your typical slasher fare, I think its fine. Its not as needlessly convoluted as DMC4 was sometimes (I haven't seen gyro blades either, lol).

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I played an hour last night before sleep and I want to know is this is normal:

I haven't played Devil May Cry since 3 or DMC (basically I didn't play 4), so I don't remember exactly how these games plays but I finished the prologue and mission 01 and the game felt... slow? like when I lock on to an enemy and I'm not close enough to hit them, I break the lock and try to get closer, lock again and find that I'm still far from the target.

Also, I'm not sure if I like to hold a button to lock on an enemy, is it expected from me? For instance in Souls or Nioh you probably end up no using lock on at all or just barely.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get use to it and once I have more tools and skills it'll be a non issue but that's how my first hour felt, slow.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DMC fans making out that playing the game is on par with conducting a symphony is such a meme at this point. One guy ITT compared playing DMC with mastering a musical instrument. It's hilarious.
Are you just completely ignorant of the history of japanese action games? Devil May Cry is the latest in a line of fast-paced, spectacular games that are meant to be played again and again to get better at them. Thats why the game openly punishes deaths, hits, time spent, repetition, and general mediorce gameplay. Did you think all those numbers and letters you see on screen were random? Do you just steadfast refuse to understand context? Or is this just some stupid devil's advocate thing you think is cute?

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Playing as V feels like a punishment, and honestl, the biggest reason for it is lack of sense of control.

I'm sure V-masters out there have it figured out but I don't understand positioning with him. Sometimes shadow decides to randomly appear near me
sometimes, he appears near enemies. Sometiems when i press attack he would teleport to them first. sometimes swing at air where he stands. Bird would sometimes do shockwave move where it stands sometimes teleport to me firs tfor some reason. I know holding it down teleports to me, but sometimes he goes to me even after a tap. I thought maybe lock on deterined whetehr they teleport to me to enemy or whatever, but it appears just random.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Idk, I play multiple instruments and I'd say that comparison works. Some of the shit people pull off in DMC3 is stuff that seems impossible to me, we're talking thousands of hours of practice.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you just completely ignorant of the history of japanese action games? Devil May Cry is the latest in a line of fast-paced, spectacular games that are meant to be played again and again to get better at them. Thats why the game openly punishes deaths, hits, time spent, repetition, and general mediorce gameplay. Did you think all those numbers and letters you see on screen were random? Do you just steadfast refuse to understand context? Or is this just some stupid devil's advocate thing you think is cute?
Lmao. Wow. Your post comes off like that old Japanese culture meme from GAF.

Be careful your fedora doesn't fall off whilst you type so aggressively.

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't played Devil May Cry since 3 or DMC (basically I didn't play 4), so I don't remember exactly how these games plays but I finished the prologue and mission 01 and the game felt... slow? like when I lock on to an enemy and I'm not close enough to hit them, I break the lock and try to get closer, lock again and find that I'm still far from the target.

Also, I'm not sure if I like to hold a button to lock on an enemy, is it expected from me? For instance in Souls or Nioh you probably end up no using lock on at all or just barely.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get use to it and once I have more tools and skills it'll be a non issue but that's how my first hour felt, slow.
I hope this doesn't sound condescending, since you're not new to the series, but one thing to keep in mind is to use your arsenal as part of your movement as well. You should almost never just walk/run torwards an enemy. Use Streak, or Calibur in the air, use your Wire Snatch (lock on + O), they're all much faster alternatives than running. In fact, I can only remember ever running after enemies if I want to drop kick them (taunt while running).

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne

Lock-on is KEY. Spend some time strafing around enemies and getting used to how it feels un- and re-lock. You can change targets with L3 while you're locked on. I'm not SURE if there's a toggle option, but I would recommend just getting used to holding the button instead because it makes a lot more sense with the game's speed.

You'll get a lot of gap-closing tools early into the game which should alleviate some of your issues.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
I bet you're popular with the ladies.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

DMC is the kinda game that gonna feel kinda awful without experience. Unlike other games that give you easy to use tools, DMC tools take practice to get used to. Generally, if you watch high level players play, they don't like, just run at enemies and swing, they use a bunch of mobility moves that bounce them around, teleport them yada yada. But that takes practice and skill.

Lock on is hold instead of tap mainly because there are lock on dependant moves that you gotta be able to mix between in the middle of the combo. So you'd basicaly need to cosntantly press and let go of lock on button when playing at high level. It's not like Souls or Nioh where you just lock on adn that's your engagement mode. Lock on is more like a "stance". You need to weave in and out of it.

General thing is DMC games take getting used to, because they are demanding. Even things that are effortless in many other action games, in DMC are something you'd probably need to practice in training mode, like it's a fighting game. From how to stay in the air, to even like something as simple as effectively moving from enemy to enemy.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Playing as V feels like a punishment, and honestl, the biggest reason for it is lack of sense of control.

I'm sure V-masters out there have it figured out but I don't understand positioning with him. Sometimes shadow decides to randomly appear near me
sometimes, he appears near enemies. Sometiems when i press attack he would teleport to them first. sometimes swing at air where he stands. Bird would sometimes do shockwave move where it stands sometimes teleport to me firs tfor some reason. I know holding it down teleports to me, but sometimes he goes to me even after a tap. I thought maybe lock on deterined whetehr they teleport to me to enemy or whatever, but it appears just random.
Having the same issues. I'm willing to learn though, hoping it clicks over the course of multiple playthroughs.