Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to use the regular Cavaliere if you have the R?

17 hours into the game, reached mission 17 but had to stop for today. I really can't wait to see the rest. >_<

Loved the bird thing boss, possibly my favorite so far.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay WHAT THE FUCK

Does the PC version NOT have the EX colors? I bought the DLC bundle and didn't even notice it doesn't have them until I realized I couldn't select them.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I'm only on mission 8 but so far I don't like playing as Nero very much at all, partly because I can't seem to get how to play him properly. I'm absolutely destroying as V though and wish I could play him all the time :P

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Beat the game first before you truly judge it, but more importantly get to Dante because his game play is on point. However, truth be told this game is highly disappointing to me because I was expecting a lot more of a robust experience full of cool environments, a plethora of unlockables, a wider variety of enemies, a better mission structure, and just overall better cut scenes and story direction. It's kinda funny, but both Dmc5 and kingdom hearts 3 sort of suffer from the same syndrome, in that they don't necessarily further their franchises in a big way and feel stuck in the past. Especially considering how long ago their successors came out.
But those games don't 'suffer' about that, its your expectations that are off because these formulas are being perfectioned for the millions of fans to enjoy, don't change stuff if it doesn't need to. And when a revolutionary game that changes its formula like GOW 4, BotW or RE4 comes out, thats an exception and we shouldn't expect it to happen to every game series, especially to ones without sequels in more than 5 years.the game already introduces a new system for nero, v and Dante gets the most complex combat in an action game

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
I am having a damn hard time getting S+ ranks in Devil Hunter at Mission 13 and up.

Before this I was getting S/SS pretty regularly...

Feels real bad man.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
How much time passed between DMC4 and DMC5? Seems like it might have actually been canonically eleven years, because I'm on my replay now and there's 2019 technology everywhere like HD TVs embedded in the walls.

But then there's also pay phones everywhere so I dunno.

I dunno if this series even takes place on Earth. Does it? Every location we know of is made up.

From the prequel novel, It's been 4-5 years since the event of DMC4.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm only up to the fourth mission of the game so maybe this is a little premature but I'm having trouble understanding the almost universal acclaim for this game. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and it looks absolutely gorgeous but I expected more. Right now, I feel like I'm playing the same games I've always played with a shiny new coat of paint. I'm sure it does what it intends to do really well but It doesn't do anything new or playful that I haven't seen before.
Bayonetta kept things fresh with climax moves/witch time and interesting set pieces to mix things up. With this I'm getting a feeling of been there done that gameplay. I feel the series needs a God of war style makeover or it's at a huge risk of becoming stale (unless something changes in this game down the track). Am I going off too early or does it get more original later on?
Its okay to like action games for the spectacle. This is not that, anything you do thats awesome in this game will be cause you pressed a button. You have climax moves, you just need to figure out how to do them.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
How much time passed between DMC4 and DMC5? Seems like it might have actually been canonically eleven years, because I'm on my replay now and there's 2019 technology everywhere like HD TVs embedded in the walls.

But then there's also pay phones everywhere so I dunno.

There are still payphones in London, but this game is set in Redgrave, which is based on London. DMC isn't set in the real world, but rather an alternate universe.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You know , running through DMD for the second time now (for S rank clean ups) its dawned on me how much health these enemies have. Its absurd that enemies take this much damage. Not even DMC1 or DMC3 (which have fair yet difficult DMD modes) had you beat on enemies this much. Not only that but the enemies themselves do ridiculous damage when DT'd. The damage seems to be more in line with DMC1 but that games enemies werent all tanks that could withstand nuclear blasts so it was fair. Not even gonna get started on Boss health bars because theyre inflated to nonsense numbers too.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay WHAT THE FUCK

Does the PC version NOT have the EX colors? I bought the DLC bundle and didn't even notice it doesn't have them until I realized I couldn't select them.

It does, but from the looks of it the PC version is like the US retail deluxe version so they were a pre-order bonus alongside the 100k red orbs. The European deluxe edition does have a code for all the extra content available, dunno why they didn't just do that worldwide.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I feel the series needs a God of war style makeover or it's at a huge risk of becoming stale

giphy.gif

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
For the people not enjoying the game I would say this:

It's not just about progressing normally through the game, if you just try and play it like a normal game you won't enjoy it. It's about the style meter. It's about trying to get as high a score as possible.

When I first played DMC4, I didn't like it. It felt like a crappy game with a crappy story, but that's because as a kid I didn't care about the style meter. The whole game is built around that metre and is what you should be aiming for. I since replayed and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more focusing on style.

That's not to say the game isn't at fault. It should be just as fun going for style ranking as not. But if you focus on your style rank you're gonna enjoy this game a hell of a lot more than you would otherwise. Cus these games are very good at stylish combat and offering you satisfying ways to mix it up.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think mission structure could be better, and maps could be more laid out and less linear, but enemy variety and cutscenes are great to me. You don't really see these high quality action cutscenes in a game, so it is a sight to see. Also I don't want what is unique about this series changed just to "shake" things up, because then there is no real reason for it to be a DMC game. I myself don't play many games, so I want this highly technical action game niche to still exist, otherwise I just might give up gaming for the most part.

I felt the game could've retained the dmc feel but still gone that one step beyond to elevate what I particularly love about it. For example in regards to the cut scenes, Devil May Cry 3 did it all better. Every weapon obtained featured such a great cut scene to accompany them, and while dmc5 did this to some extent, they weren't nearly as amazing looking as 3's. Not to mention they weren't even as impactful to the story either in terms of the boss encounter they accompany or the way they're utilized in the overall impact of enemy designed combat. A lot of times in dmc5 you get a shard off a boss that you give to Nico which loosely pertains to a devil breaker. That's cool and all, but it's not as cool as getting a brand new tool like in the original devil may cry where everything you obtained mattered like crazy. Dmc3 carried that torch on very well. I don't ever want Devil May Cry to change it's niche, and asking for something like better enemy variety wouldn't ever fundamentally change what this series is all about either.

Maybe I'm asking for too much, and expecting my wildest dreams, however dmc has always been so damn special to me and coming into this game I was on cloud 9. This franchise is special a hell. You know what else is special that I absolutely loved? Those cut scenes that would play when you call Nico on the phone to drive the van over prior to boss encounters. THOSE are the types of things that I wish were more frequent in dmc5. Really special moments that no other game would ever deliver, yet here the devs took the time and effort to make these extravagant off the wall moments that a player can completely pass over if they don't pick up the phone. It's awesome. And Devil May Cry is awesome for it. I just know dmc5 in particular could've been even better.

But those games don't 'suffer' about that, its your expectations that are off because these formulas are being perfectioned for the millions of fans to enjoy, don't change stuff if it doesn't need to. And when a revolutionary game that changes its formula like GOW 4, BotW or RE4 comes out, thats an exception and we shouldn't expect it to happen to every game series, especially to ones without sequels in more than 5 years.the game already introduces a new system for nero, v and Dante gets the most complex combat in an action game

I don't want the games formula to change. I want the formula to be perfected as you said, and besides dmc5s combat, everything else regarding the games structure is far from perfect.
Last time Capcom tried to change the formula we got DmC, that's a whole other can of worms I don't want to touch.

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty far into the game and absolutely loving it...this is exactly what I want a video game to be in every way. The sheer amount of tools and awesome shit they throw at you is overwhelming in a good way. I can't wait to for the NG+ on the harder difficulty.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been farming in mission 13 for a bit.

everything in store is out of stock, i have 99 punchlines and 40 of every unlocked arm, i got every single ability outside of those not yet unlocked through story, and i'm not even past mission 14 yet.

send help

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Can I say I really, really love the music in this game?

V's theme sounds bizarre out of context, but in-game it couldn't be more fitting for what his combat looks/feels like.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
For the people not enjoying the game I would say this:

It's not just about progressing normally through the game, if you just try and play it like a normal game you won't enjoy it. It's about the style meter. It's about trying to get as high a score as possible.

When I first played DMC4, I didn't like it. It felt like a crappy game with a crappy story, but that's because as a kid I didn't care about the style meter. The whole game is built around that metre and is what you should be aiming for. I since replayed and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more focusing on style.

That's not to say the game isn't at fault. It should be just as fun going for style ranking as not. But if you focus on your style rank you're gonna enjoy this game a hell of a lot more than you would otherwise. Cus these games are very good at stylish combat and offering you satisfying ways to mix it up.
Yeah but only when/if you get good at the game and know what you're doing, the learning curve is huge but once you know how to play then its super fun. But you need to put in so much time to get that good, something I dont have rn :/

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Finished in about 11 hours on Devil Hunter. I really enjoyed it from start to finish and there were a lot of nice touches for long-time fans. The soundtrack really delivered and I was just in absolute awe of about every single character model in this game.

There were some really great moments at the end that had me laughing, too.
Literally Uncle Dante and the whole Devil May Cry scene in the van

Very satisfying all around. Bring on Bloody Palace.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who think the level design and the bosses are underwhelming ?

I've seen so many people disappointed with the level design that I'm actually enjoying it. Went in expecting even less, I suppose.

Bosses I'm not feeling all of them, but I'll wait until I've played on the higher difficulties to see how it goes. Maybe the higher challenge will make me appreciate them a lot more if I'm forced to actually learn the fight, not to mention any possible extra moves.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah but only when/if you get good at the game and know what you're doing, the learning curve is huge but once you know how to play then its super fun. But you need to put in so much time to get that good, something I dont have rn :/

Yeah I understand.

I think a poster a few pages back described how DMC:DMC is a lot simpler and I think that the game is certainly lacking in that respect to an extent.

Not that I'm saying it should be dumbed down, but rather the simple attacks (like just mashing triangle for sword strikes) should be easier. Like removing the passive auto-lock and letting the character move further with each strike.

For example, most of the time as Dante I'm switching between Trickster and Long distance attacks to get around fast. A new player ain't gonna know to do that and is gonna have trouble trying directing themselves or getting into positions.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get the timing down on the Balrog stance switch parry. How does it work exactly? The Voltaic Knight kicked my ass while I was trying to do it. I assumed the timing was the same as RG but it seems different.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here I sit finally arriving at Dante and after a few minutes I start tearing up, fuck did I miss playing with him.

Oct 26, 2017
Nero's buster animation against Furies is amazing.
Theres one on the ground and air btw
I can't get the timing down on the Balrog stance switch parry. How does it work exactly? The Voltaic Knight kicked my ass while I was trying to do it. I assumed the timing was the same as RG but it seems different.
Dont know if these will help, but you can slow em down to see the switch frames

Is there any reason to use the regular Cavaliere if you have the R?

17 hours into the game, reached mission 17 but had to stop for today. I really can't wait to see the rest. >_<

Loved the bird thing boss, possibly my favorite so far.
For Sekiro? Me neither, Technically next week in the UK.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm constantly surprised how bad the lip synching can be at times. And actually, it isn't a synching issue really. Just the mouth animation itself. Like...people's lips are barely ever closing. Sometimes they just awkwardly have their mouth open with hardly any moment.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who think the level design and the bosses are underwhelming ?

Honestly? I'm enjoying them a lot.

Especially the level design, it's probably the least intrusive and annoying in the genre.

The most bare minimum of puzzles/platforming and you spend most of the time moving forward and enjoying the combat. That's exactly what I wanted and is excellent for re-playing.

It basically feels like a campaign version of Bloody Palace. Very low on BS, very high on action.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly? I'm enjoying them a lot.

Especially the level design, it's probably the least intrusive and annoying in the genre.

The most bare minimum of puzzles/platforming and you spend most of the time moving forward and enjoying the combat. That's exactly what I wanted and is excellent for re-playing.

It basically feels like a campaign version of Bloody Palace. Very low on BS, very high on action.

I don't know, in some level the camera is really awkward and uncomfortable, and I really don't like the idea to fight the exact same boss multiple times.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, in some level the camera is really awkward and uncomfortable, and I really don't like the idea to fight the exact same boss multiple times.

You just re-fight like three bosses while playing as a different character than the first time you fought them.

In DMC4 you had to fight most of the bosses THREE times during a single play through lol.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've not beaten the game. Not even sure I'm halfway through yet I can say that I love a lot of the game but I do wish they'd gone as far with the level design and traversal as they did with the combat. It is kind of dull in this day and age running from gauntlet to gauntlet. On that there are a lot of intrusive cutscenes for really minor things that I think you could have just highlighted during the actual gameplay.

On top of that I wish they were a bit more generous with starting abilities as Nero especially is really handicapped by missing on some very minor abilities. They don't cost much and I've already bought most of the base abilities and even some more expensive ones so its no biggie but it does feel a bit limp at the very start. Nothing new for the series but stood out a bit more as a little jarring.

On the topic of V I find him to be like Nevan in that you can really button mash with him and get away with it. The fact you're often far away from enemies until the death blow and that after a few upgrades Shadow and Griffon are able to really spam enemies. I don't even need to use Nightmare outside of boss battles unless I want to and can achieve an S ranking for most fights, if not higher.