• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at Stage 21 with V and I'm honestly kind of bored already. He's so goddamn limited. He needed a bigger moveset.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at Stage 21 with V and I'm honestly kind of bored already. He's so goddamn limited. He needed a bigger moveset.
Some kind of big second playthrough ability unlock for V like Dante's Sin DT or Nero's DT/Buster/etc would have been great.

Something like a partial Summoned Swords moveset for the circle button maybe, or a Phantom-based second-tier DT, or a Nelo Angelo transformation, or something.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Doing V's Bloody Palace is weird. The first 80 stages feel like a pushover, and then suddenly there's a massive difficulty increase, especially stages 99 and 100. I failed my first attempt at stage 100. I was ready to give up if the second run failed (it's a bit tedious doing the first 80 stages), but fortunately, I was able to deal with the Urizen fights just fine the second time around.

Just Dante to go, but I think I'll try to do some general practice with him before I try. I'm finally trying to learn jump cancelling which is something I've never done in DMC games before (I played 100+ hours of DMC4 thinking enemy step was only good for occasionally jumping on enemies standing still, never knowing it had crazy mid-air reset potential).

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've really enjoyed games like Nier and Bayonetta and thought I'd give DMC5 a try. So far... I'm not really having fun.

-Every combat area seem super cramped and my camera goes all over the place. It's hard to tell how close/far away I am from certain enemies.
-This one may be my fault: can you switch devil breakers in combat or just out of combat ( or not at all)? Because I've pressed everything on my controller, but I can't seem to do it.
-God damn does Nero move like a tank. His normal speed is slow enough, but he barely moves at all when locking on.
-I just don't feel like I can do much in combat. I know I keep unlocking abilities as the game progresses, but I'm having trouble pulling off any combo.

I'll keep playing. Maybe my opinions will change as I get further.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a little question. The Royal Guard block move, it says it consumes DT gauge, but in fact it seems to add to it after a successful block. What obvious thing I am missing?

you're blocking too good

if you Just Block (i.e. hit the block button on the exact frames an attack hits) you'll gain DT. If you hold down block before that though it'll drain DT when you take a hit

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
OK, 1 hour later, I'm still angry. I hate wireless controllers. Empty battery in the middle of lv90 (and I'm pretty sure I would have cleared it, it wasn't so bad). I tried to alt+F4 in a hurry, but my save on BP is gone, I have to restart from scratch. I lost my motivation...

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've really enjoyed games like Nier and Bayonetta and thought I'd give DMC5 a try. So far... I'm not really having fun.

-Every combat area seem super cramped and my camera goes all over the place. It's hard to tell how close/far away I am from certain enemies.
-This one may be my fault: can you switch devil breakers in combat or just out of combat ( or not at all)? Because I've pressed everything on my controller, but I can't seem to do it.
-God damn does Nero move like a tank. His normal speed is slow enough, but he barely moves at all when locking on.
-I just don't feel like I can do much in combat. I know I keep unlocking abilities as the game progresses, but I'm having trouble pulling off any combo.

1) Probably tinker around with the camera setting until its most comfortable. 80% zoom works best for me.
2) You can only switch Breakers by breaking them. So L1 or hold O for the super move to use up your current one and move to the next Breaker.
3) Nero is actually pretty fast but if you are walking around mid combat then you are already playing incorrectly. Use moves to cover distances like Wire Snatch, Streak, Calibur, Payline and Split etc. Walking around is not stylish and thus a poor use of actions in the game.
4) Unlock more moves, learn how to use EX system properly (timing attacks), chage your blue rose, use Devil Breakers in various ways. You are going to be overwhelmed by the options in the game.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
takes DT if your timing is bad
you're blocking too good

if you Just Block (i.e. hit the block button on the exact frames an attack hits) you'll gain DT. If you hold down block before that though it'll drain DT when you take a hit

Oh, I definitely not blocking too good. Generally I just take damage. Which was the weird part. My idea was exactly that, if you timed it wrong you use the DT gauge, but when I missed the block I was just hit normally. Maybe it was because I wasn't holding the button?

Anyway, gratitude for the quick answer!

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I definitely not blocking too good. Generally I just take damage. Which was the weird part. My idea was exactly that, if you timed it wrong you use the DT gauge, but when I missed the block I was just hit normally. Maybe it was because I wasn't holding the button?

Anyway, gratitude for the quick answer!

nah if you hit it too late you just whiff (miss) the block entirely. If you hold down block you'll take a stance where you block incoming attacks but it'll drain your meter

Claww

Nov 7, 2017

You should never actually be walking, always attack or use some kind of mobility to close the distance, or just use Wire Snatch. Walking speed never comes into play, basically. Buy Streak and the air dive attack, upgrade Wire Snatch.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Whoo yea! Beat mission 8 and 9 Hell and Hell S rank. 8 was quite tough but I beat 9 on my first try. Here's my 8 run. Special taunts are great at raising the style rank without causing damage, I think it gave me the edge. How do you do the bubble gum taunt with Nero?

Thanks so much for this, some of these strategies just got me the S on HaH as well. Man for a while there that mission was giving me such a hard time.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Phew, beat Bloody Palace with Dante on my first run. Just lost with Nero on floor 70-something. Not really looking forward to beating it as V.

Okay, I just hit 80 with V, I didn't expect that boss would be so easy, lol literally fried chicken. Now I'm a bit worried for the next 10 floors, I don't want to do the 90 with V... Time to have a cute and relaxing break, hello Yoshi !

Funny, I did that as well a few times to have a breather.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Took a break after Cavaliere with V. He was pretty fun to fight with V but everything else has just been boooooring. Why is V so goddamn boring? It's sad.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Well I got past the voltaic Knight and died to a bunch of goddamn lizards at floor 66 or some such. Embarrassing!

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I stumbled upon this while editing another video. If you speed up Urizen's speech by around 20%, the result is very close to the actor's original voice performance (if you paid attention to the credits, you might have noticed he's voiced by Dan Southworth).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I stumbled upon this while editing another video. If you speed up Urizen's speech by around 20%, the result is very close to the actor's original voice performance (if you paid attention to the credits, you might have noticed he's voiced by Dan Southworth).

Lol even 20% faster his delivery of some lines is so slow.

"YOU...........WILL..........REGRET..........BEING..........BORN.........USELESS...........AND.............HUMAN."

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I know that's literally the point of the character but I wish Urizen was a bit less one note or at least mildly introspective.

Moreso would have just liked Dante and Vergil talking about their youth more

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Chapter V and it's just not very good so far. Environmental design is just awful, the pacing is completely off, with cutscenes before every room, so annoying, inserting blobs to make some roots disappear, it's also very easy, and I find the combat a little button mashy so far.
After checking online, Devil Hunter is the normal mode, so I need to change that but not a good first impression.

I know that's literally the point of the character but I wish Urizen was a bit less one note or at least mildly introspective.

Moreso would have just liked Dante and Vergil talking about their youth more
I'm missing a lot around both points.
Urizen is just lame. They do nothing with him being Vergil for the most time of the game. It doesn't even make sense, that Dante uses Jackpot to test him at their first encounter - he already knows, that it's him through V and he says himself, that he can feel it's Vergil, right before entering the room. Why use Jackpot? And although Urizen does react - nothing seems to change. It's pointless.
When Nero cuts into his hand, I'm always reminded of Vergil cutting Dante's hand at the end of 3, and every frigging time I wish he would react in a way.
Everything around them visiting their old home was wasted. That was meant to be used for childhood flashbacks with the little twins playing around! That's one point even DmC did better, and they already wasted most of the potential.
Also the hate for each other, Vergil's illogical reasoning and Dante acting like a dork towards V, Urizen and Vergil alike is something, they didn't flash out in the slightest.
I know what they want to tell, I know what I'm supposed to think - but it feels like they are showing me a red car and trying to convince me it's blue. :/
Vergil got dirtied and Dante acts unlikable.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Chapter V and it's just not very good so far. Environmental design is just awful, the pacing is completely off, with cutscenes before every room, so annoying, inserting blobs to make some roots disappear, it's also very easy, and I find the combat a little button mashy so far.
After checking online, Devil Hunter is the normal mode, so I need to change that but not a good first impression.

The game is mashy if you play it that way (or use V). It has an absurd amount of depth that Devil Hunter unfortunately doesn't even come close to demanding.
Urizen is just lame. They do nothing with him being Vergil for the most time of the game. It doesn't even make sense, that Dante uses Jackpot to test him at their first encounter - he already knows, that it's him through V and he says himself, that he can feel it's Vergil, right before entering the room. Why use Jackpot? And although Urizen does react - nothing seems to change. It's pointless.
When Nero cuts into his hand, I'm always reminded of Vergil cutting Dante's hand at the end of 3, and every frigging time I wish he would react in a way.
Everything around them visiting their old home was wasted. That was meant to be used for childhood flashbacks with the little twins playing around! That's one point even DmC did better, and they already wasted most of the potential.
Also the hate for each other, Vergil's illogical reasoning and Dante acting like a dork towards V, Urizen and Vergil alike is something, they didn't flash out in the slightest.
I know what they want to tell, I know what I'm supposed to think - but it feels like they are showing me a red car and trying to convince me it's blue. :/

I know it doesn't make him any more compelling but I think that's the point of Urizen. He's not Vergil. He's an empty shell fueled by Vergil's demonic side. Vergil is only Vergil when he has his humanity. It was his human feelings that caused him to grieve the way he did and lust for power.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
but the whole point of Urizen and V is to show that Urizen is just an emotion, a want, lust for power, given form, and V is basically Vergil, sans a lot of power. which is why he fdinally understands in the end, how important his human side is, tho both him and dante still needed a push from Nero.

I know it doesn't make him any more compelling but I think that's the point of Urizen. He's not Vergil. He's an empty shell fueled by Vergil's demonic side. Vergil is only Vergil when he has his humanity. It was his human feelings that caused him to grieve the way he did and lust for power.
but the whole point of Urizen and V is to show that Urizen is just an emotion, a want, lust for power, given form, and V is basically Vergil, sans a lot of power. which is why he fdinally understands in the end, how important his human side is, tho both him and dante still needed a push from Nero.

He seems a bit inconsistent to me. He does remember everything, but at the same time rejects their home as an illusion of the fruit. That's a bit strange. Why not e.g. let him comment but with his twisted evil look at things, while V sees it more in the right way?
That's part of what I meant with selling me red as blue. I get the picture but feel not convinced by it.
I don't like the whole split up part too much to begin with, but that's a bit on another page.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
THere is nothing fun about playing as V. If there's ever a definitive edition, I hope he's reworked completely.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoy v a lot but he doesn't have an enjoyable development to his gameplay the way Dante and nero do. For him it's more or less what you start with is what you end with

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoy v a lot but he doesn't have an enjoyable development to his gameplay the way Dante and nero do. For him it's more or less what you start with is what you end with
and the higher the difficulty, the more clear it becomes how limited he is. the lack of control in higher difficulty sucks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
and the higher the difficulty, the more clear it becomes how limited he is. the lack of control in higher difficulty sucks.

Yeah. V is the reason I gave up on DMD. I just don't enjoy playing as him at all, and the sheer amount of HP enemies have in that mode doesn't mesh well at all with V's miserably weak output.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
THere is nothing fun about playing as V. If there's ever a definitive edition, I hope he's reworked completely.
I love playing as V mostly because im not trying to S rank DMD with him but what would you change in order to fix him for you? Because people really hate V but I havent seen people say what they would change specifically.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
He seems a bit inconsistent to me. He does remember everything, but at the same time rejects their home as an illusion of the fruit. That's a bit strange. Why not e.g. let him comment but with his twisted evil look at things, while V sees it more in the right way?
That's part of what I meant with selling me red as blue. I get the picture but feel not convinced by it.
I don't like the whole split up part too much to begin with, but that's a bit on another page.

Urizen doesn't even know what the fruit is showing him. I guess it shows him that because he's still part Vergil but Urizen himself has no recollection or attachment to it.

V's shittiness is more obvious when you play Bloody Palace as him. I'm on stage 91 and it's been almost entirely boring. Bosses with him are especially terrible. You can't do much except spam Skewer for damage, have Griffon do whatever the fuck, and summon Nightmare when he's available, maybe occasionally using Royal Fork and Nightmare's laser.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I love playing as V mostly because im not trying to S rank DMD with him but what would you change in order to fix him for you? Because people really hate V but I havent seen people say what they would change specifically.
More moves and more control over his moves really. That's it. Controlling a character whos controlling up to 3 other characters that aren't physically attached to him is far too much of a disconnect to the action for me.

His missions on DMD are fucking dreadful. Horse boss is awfully boring.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Managed to beat Geryon on DMD. He was honestly easier than those 5 lizards at the start of the mission. I spammed Griffon and Shadow's charge attacks while running around dodging untill I got enough DT to summon nightmare. After that it was just wail on him while using nightmare as a tank.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Give the player more control of the pets. Give some kind of option to reposition them near you that doesn't also involve a lengthy recovery time. Offer an option to disable your pets auto returning when too far. Hell, let's go full carl clover and have an option to directly control pet movement. Im thinking you could replace the auto-pilot button with a 'give orders' button, or if we want to keep that function give V something like Dante's styles but for pet behavior.

Really the core sentiment is remove elements of the gameplay design that the player can't control

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
More moves and more control over his moves really. That's it. Controlling a character whos controlling up to 3 other characters that aren't physically attached to him is far too much of a disconnect to the action for me.

I think the concept of V is inherently not satisfying for many so even if he was perfect there would be people that still dont like him but I think he has enough moves its just hard to pull them off due to them relying on directional input based on the pets positioning so that is what I would change, I would make directional inputs be based on V's positioning and I would make shadow/griffon have after-image clones that finish the last move you made so they can have a move queue.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think the concept of V is inherently not satisfying for many so even if he was perfect there would be people that still dont like him but I think he has enough moves its just hard to pull them off due to them relying on directional input based on the pets positioning so that is what I would change, I would make directional inputs be based on V's positioning and I would make shadow/griffon have after-image clones that finish the last move you made so they can have a move queue.
Directional inputs are based on v's position. In fact that's the part that fucks me up, because i intuitively try to base my inputs on the pets' position

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Honestly your complaints about V are generally misguided.

A lot of people enjoy playing as him. He works well in that he's different, and fun and doesn't over stay his welcome. You'll notice he only has a few missions to play as.

You are right in saying V's gameplay doesn't offer enough on higher difficulty settings like Dante Must Die, and more specifically, trying to S rank all missions in Dante Must Die mode, but the lion's share of people playing this game aren't trying to S rank DMD.

So you're both right and wrong IMO.

V's playstyle should be improved upon and return in some capacity in future games. But maybe they should focus on a "Divergence Mode" - like DMC5 was supposed to have, where they let players play whomever they want on whatever mission on new game plus / harder settings. That way you'd have your fun playing as V on default difficulty settings, but you can then ditch him for the more traditional Nero and Dante for S rank attempts.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I I would make directional inputs be based on V's positioning and I would make shadow/griffon have after-image clones that finish the last move you made so they can have a move queue.

....yeah, um....it is based off of V's positioning. I too wondered this myself when I first played as V, but then I quickly experimented with this and discovered that it's based off of V's positioning.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
....yeah, um....it is based off of V's positioning. I too wondered this myself when I first played as V, but then I quickly experimented with this and discovered that it's based off of V's positioning.
Damn really? I thought it was based on pets :() No wonder I have trouble doing specific stuff but my V playstyle is mostly hold moves and spamming directionals for variety.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
had weird idea of v (or summoner) has own moveset and then you control the familiars via style switching