• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Nice little skip for M12.

I wonder if you could use this to cheese the S rank for the mission given you'd be skipping most battles but not technically all of them. For example, at the start of the mission you could get a 6k style score if you RG for SSS and then maintain it (they're only Hell Cainas), then use this skip to jump to the boss fight and again put together a very high style score which isn't that hard. Or would missing out on the other battles lower the end score even though you never participated in them?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Really enjoying my time here with my first DMC, gonna keep trying to make gifs if people want them; I imagine it'll be easier to gif once Bloody Palace arrives, and gifs will be clearer too.

H8kcptF.gif

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Easiest way to get your S Ranks is always the "No Damage" Route because the Multipliers are that great.

So the Red Orb Stuff doesn't matter at all because you would lose the No Damage Multiplier which is even with low Style Points usually a guaranteed S Ranking.
Even Mission 8 is easily doable once you figured out how to dodge the Tentacles in Phase2 of the Boss though here it is probably easier to simply get the Style Points needed through fighting.

Neither Time or Style matter at all.
You can do all battles jumping and shooting around hoping to never have an enemy on your screen that can attack you.
Takes time but its the guaranteed working way for someone that wants the Trophy for all S Ranks while not being motivated,confident or willing to get "good" enough.

Sadly there are no Online Leaderboards like we had in DMC4 so there is no reason to play SSStylish and get as much of a Highscore as possible.
There is no reason to try over and over again if you can simply go the easy "No Damage" Route and be done with it if S Ranks are your only goal.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how I missed this until now, but I just learned that you can charge DSD's summoned swords by holding O instead of holding Triangle and it produces a completely different attack. Was there a pop-up explaining this and I just damn missed it, or is it one of those moves that's really only visible if you look in the moves menu?

That's Round Trip. It just looks different with DSD and is called Round Trips plural.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's Round Trip. It just looks different with DSD and is called Round Trips plural.

That explains it. I kinda like the way DSD lets you do certain things that would normally stop you from being able to attack but lets you keep attacking while doing them. It's kind of a nice way of showing through gameplay how much Dante's power has grown.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
That explains it. I kinda like the way DSD lets you do certain things that would normally stop you from being able to attack but lets you keep attacking while doing them. It's kind of a nice way of showing through gameplay how much Dante's power has grown.

Yep. Not to mention you would normally have to switch weapons to continue attacking after Round Trip. You don't have that limitation with DSD.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how I missed this until now, but I just learned that you can charge DSD's summoned swords by holding O instead of holding Triangle and it produces a completely different attack. Was there a pop-up explaining this and I just damn missed it, or is it one of those moves that's really only visible if you look in the moves menu?

Cav Angelo is probably my favorite fight in the whole game. Replaying it on subsequent difficulties just exposes how well-designed and fun it is - everything he does is perfectly tuned around the ways Dante can move and attack.

Can't wait to try it out on harder difficulties. Apt description... Even the camera is perfect.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I never thought I'd say this

But DMD Fury is single-handedly changing my opinions of this game. This game was decent, nowhere near DMC3, NGB and GH, but now seeing how they incorporate fury in DMD? It's actually shit tier, we're talking below Bayo2 kinds of garbage.

What a sad, piece of shit of a game. Feel bad for anyone playing this more than the initial 20 or so hours.

Here I was thinking we'd end of with a "pillar" action game, turns out we only got a turd of a game.

Edit; before "get gud", they're not even hard. That's my issue. It's that the game goes to a crawl, rolling from SSS to B/C because of how the enemy design is. Good job Itsuno! You know exactly the tempo of what an action game is supposed to have.

Nov 7, 2017

But DMD Fury is single-handedly changing my opinions of this game. This game was decent, nowhere near DMC3, NGB and GH, but now seeing how they incorporate fury in DMD? It's actually shit tier, we're talking below Bayo2 kinds of garbage.

What a sad, piece of shit of a game. Feel bad for anyone playing this more than the initial 20 or so hours.

Here I was thinking we'd end of with a "pillar" action game, turns out we only got a turd of a game.

Edit; before "get gud", they're not even hard. That's my issue. It's that the game goes to a crawl, rolling from SSS to B/C because of how the enemy design is. Good job Itsuno! You know exactly the tempo of what an action game is supposed to have.
here we go again
Players May Cry 5 |OT2| Itsuno's Fury

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man I really hate Nero's arm system. I think he would be much more interesting if I could just switch arms on the fly, and they only broke temporarily on hit.

As is, I feel I just have to stack duplicates of the arm I want to use. Not a very interesting way to play at all.

Oct 25, 2017

Lmfao, when figuring out how the Fury attacks it gets a lot easier to parry and combo it.
The enemy design is great. Glad all of the enemies aren't just combo fodder.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
You can combo Fury to death with Dante using Balrog and you go up to S

You can combo Fury to death with Nero with the Ragtime charge and Showdown in DT and you go up to S

Last edited:

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018

*Yawn* plenty of advice has been posted on how to deal quickly with Furies.
So yeah, git gud

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I really hate Nero's arm system. I think he would be much more interesting if I could just switch arms on the fly, and they only broke temporarily on hit.

As is, I feel I just have to stack duplicates of the arm I want to use. Not a very interesting way to play at all.

Tne reason the arms are so good is because they carry that risk of breaking.

That's the balancing.

*Yawn* plenty of advice has been posted on how to deal quickly with Furies.
So yeah, git gud

You don't even need to git good.

Just use Buster breaker's breakage grab and call it a day lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Tne reason the arms are so good is because they carry that risk of breaking.

That's the balancing.

I think it would've been more manageable if it was specifically their super moves that carry the risk of breaking them, rather than literally any damage at any point while the item is active.

For example: If I take a hit when Punch Line is on the other side of the room from me, it makes no sense that Punch Line would break.

Oct 25, 2017
Nero's arms bugged me at first, but once I actually accepted it and learned to work around it I ended up liking it. It's really fun to be able to unleash 3 super crazy powerful moves in a row at times. And getting to the end of a mission with just one arm left or no arms left but still getting a good rank is a good feeling.

Someone a few pages ago also mentioned that it fit the story and the character well in a thematic way, which is true and a nice touch. It's a good way to tie mechanics to characterization, themes, etc. It's not the greatest story ever written, obviously, but it's nice to see that extra bit of thought put into it.

s y

Nov 8, 2017

giphy.gif

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

I disagree on it not being interesting.
His moveset is all about gambling, having a mechanic with a high reward and a high risk is cool.

They'd probably have to tone some things down if they had free arm switching. I can see a setup of throwing out eight punchlines at once being pretty silly.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017

even if you had a point about their design(you dont, as most have provided ways to deal with them), the bolded is...laughable. grow up, and indeed, git gud

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it would've been more manageable if it was specifically their super moves that carry the risk of breaking them, rather than literally any damage at any point while the item is active.

For example: If I take a hit when Punch Line is on the other side of the room from me, it makes no sense that Punch Line would break.

Well not really, in the sense that the super moves are you yourself breaking (or 'spending') them by choice.

The arms are fantastic all around, not just with their super moves.

The risk of breaking them in combat is mostly in the normal usage. In general you should aim not to get hit as best you can, this gives you even more incentive to do so.

They aren't tied to meter so their awesomeness is tied to your skill and your stock. Since they are dirt cheap and you can stock up to eight of them with no need for cooldown or needing to build meter (like Dante for SDT), I don't find it to be much of an issue overall. They are pretty overpowered.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017

Imagine writing an entire game off due to a single enemy encounter on the hardest difficulty setting.

You shouldn't be getting hit as the lock on persists even when fury teleports and becomes invisible.

Don't let the game beat you this hard, dude.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Wonder how he S ranked Heaven or Hell.

I guess the no-damage aspect helps when you're one-shotting everything but it's the giving of that OHKO that makes it challenging stringing together the style points. I have to imagine he's super reliant on RG for style rank boosting.

Really cool stuff though.

OldLogos

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a link to the PC mod that let's you play as different characters (not model swaps)? I can't seem to find it

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
DMC3's Fallen angel
DMC4's Blitz
DMC5's Fury

DMC always have 1 of those annoying enemies. So fucking suck it up and get good.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well not really, in the sense that the super moves are you yourself breaking (or 'spending') them by choice.

The risk of breaking them in combat is mostly in the normal usage. In general you should aim not to get hit as best you can, this gives you even more incentive to do so.

They aren't tied to meter so their awesomeness is tied to your skill and your stock. Since they are dirt cheap and you can stock up to eight of them with no need for cooldown or needing to build meter (like Dante for SDT), I don't find it to be much of an issue overall. They are pretty overpowered.

Well, let me give an example. If you're using Dante, you use Round Trip (original version), and while the sword is out of your hands, you can't attack. You have to switch to another weapon to keep up the pressure. But if you take a hit while Rebellion or Sparda is out of your hands, the sword doesn't explode. The attack is interrupted, but you don't lose your weapon. But if you take even one hit while dodging with Gerbera or with Punch Line out of your hand, that item is gone. You have to go without it, or go back to a shop point and buy more. And if you run out of Breakers during a fight, you have nothing. All you can do is basic Wire Grabs.

This is why I don't use them. I don't like Nero's playstyle on a general level and I am not good at avoiding damage while using him compared to Dante. I take a lot of hits, especially when I try to get creative. As a result, I have rendered Breakers completely vestigial to my postgame playstyle because the reward is not worth the risk for me anymore.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, having a mechanic with a cost separate from the DT gauge is a cool change of pace.

It's not going to be how everyone wants to play, and that's fine. But I love how DMC is making sure all it's playable characters have different gameplans. It's like a fighting game where I find a character I want to main because they have their own things that make them stand out.

I know once we have Bloody Palace I'll be spending most of my time there with Nero, but for those that don't care for him they still have Dante or V to choose from.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I found the Blitz enemies in DMC4 to be super straight forward. Dante especially had a silly variety of ways to brutalize them, particularly with Lucifer and Gilgamesh that you could stun-lock them or finish them so quickly they had no chance to react for easy style points.

Might have to whack out that game in the future at some point for a run through. Gonna be tough though coming off the back of this.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think this game has the best set of enemies in the series tbh. They basically just picked all the most fun types to fight in the previous games, as well as some cool original ones. None of them are as annoying to fight and break the flow as much as enigmas or those stupid chimeras.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Are there any general tips for Dante Must Die difficulty? I made it through Son of Sparda relatively easily but holy shit, DMD feels like a goddamn wall. The amount of damage enemies deal is just fucking brutal and some fights last so long that it sometimes gets a little tedious. I'm only like 5 missions in and I'm already needing to revive halfway through lol. It's pretty obvious I need to get better at dodging but is there anything else that's crucially important?

I really wanted to go for the S rank everything achievements but I'm starting to think it's waaay beyond my abilities lol.

Utilize Break Age attacks more often. Imagine taking 8 Rag Times with you. And doing their Break Age attack against tougher encounters.

Better yet. Do a Rag Time break age followed by a punchline break age. Think about those possibilities moving forward. Basic devil breaker attacks won't carry you on DMD like they did on lower difficulty settings.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think this game has the best set of enemies in the series tbh. They basically just picked all the most fun types to fight in the previous games, as well as some cool original ones. None of them are annoying to fight and break the flow as much as enigmas or those stupid chimeras.
And a lot of enemies have weird quirks or mechanics that allow you to kill them quickly in group situations. Really well designed and promote experimentation and mastery of the game's systems

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think this game has the best set of enemies in the series tbh. They basically just picked all the most fun types to fight in the previous games, as well as some cool original ones. None of them are annoying to fight and break the flow as much as enigmas or those stupid chimeras.

Furies are definitely worse than Blitzes in my mind. Blitzes are a pain in the fucking ass, but there are generally easy ways to trivialize them. Dante can do that to Furies with Ice Age, but Nero is entirely a game of luck on whether or not they use a move you're actually allowed to punish. They grind the pacing of a fight to a goddamn halt. Even if you know how to handle them it's just not fun.

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
Any good guides on how to get good with V on DMD? It's been somewhat of a breeze playing as Nero but I had to cave in and use a gold orb on Niddhogg because I kept dying and making no improvements. The Geryon fight later was my first ever D...

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, let me give an example. If you're using Dante, you use Round Trip (original version), and while the sword is out of your hands, you can't attack. You have to switch to another weapon to keep up the pressure. But if you take a hit while Rebellion or Sparda is out of your hands, the sword doesn't explode. The attack is interrupted, but you don't lose your weapon. But if you take even one hit while dodging with Gerbera or with Punch Line out of your hand, that item is gone. You have to go without it, or go back to a shop point and buy more. And if you run out of Breakers during a fight, you have nothing. All you can do is basic Wire Grabs.

This is why I don't use them. I don't like Nero's playstyle on a general level and I am not good at avoiding damage while using him compared to Dante. I take a lot of hits, especially when I try to get creative. As a result, I have rendered Breakers completely vestigial to my postgame playstyle because the reward is not worth the risk for me anymore.

With Dante, can you do Round Trip instantly without charging? Can you call the sword back after throwing it for Round Trip and ride it around to style? Ride it as a mobility option against bosses? And after you are done riding it can you send it back to continue attacking the enemy?

Punch Line is so much more than Round Trip.

You can carry up to 8 breakers at a time and the stages have Nico/statues that let you refill them. They are always there before a boss in particular so you never have to deal with it without a breaker. Breakers are also laying around as pick ups. They are also very cheap. Gerbera costs just 500 red orbs and the cost never goes up.

Yeah, having a mechanic with a cost separate from the DT gauge is a cool change of pace.

It's not going to be how everyone wants to play, and that's fine. But I love how DMC is making sure all it's playable characters have different gameplans. It's like a fighting game where I find a character I want to main because they have their own things that make them stand out.

I know once we have Bloody Palace I'll be spending most of my time there with Nero, but for those that don't care for him they still have Dante or V to choose from.

Yup, the resource management/risk gives Nero a unique aspect within the genre. It's very cool addition to his arsenal and makes sense for his character.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
How to unlock a certain ex color:

You can unlock Vergil's ex color by beating both credit scene fights in SoS difficulty.

You don't even have to S rank the final boss. Just beat those two credit fights and you should be good. (Nico should compliment you and Dante should kill more enemies compared to Vergil)

Much Honestly I'm really enjoying the gifs that you and SunhiLegend are making. Keep up the great work.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With Dante, can you do Round Trip instantly without charging? Can you call the sword back after throwing it for Round Trip and ride it around to style? Ride it as a mobility option against bosses? And after you are done riding it can you send it back to continue attacking the enemy?

Punch Line is so much more than Round Trip.

You can carry up to 8 breakers at a time and the stages have Nico/statues that let you refill them. They are always there before a boss in particular so you never have to deal with it without a breaker. Breakers are also laying around as pick up. They are also very cheap. Gerbera costs just 500 red orbs and the cost never goes up.

I think the issue for me is people are saying breakers are Nero's alternative to Devil Arms, but Devil Arms don't go away when you get hit. Again, managing consumables is just not something I want to do in my action games. Especially not consumables the game takes away FROM me. If it was my choice to sacrifice a Breaker to do a powerful move, that's fine, I can work with that. But the fact I pretty much always take hits while using breakers (especially their super moves) just makes them not worth my time to use anymore.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
On Mission 13, and just discovered Dr. Faust. However, in trying to farm for Red Orbs, I can use the Gunslinger with it pretty effectively, but I was told to use the Hat Trick at the end as an AOE attack to really stack up the Orbs quickly. But I cannot figure out the timing on how to use it. When I press square just after getting the hat back, I immediately shoot red Orbs. Anyone got any tips?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
On Mission 13, and just discovered Dr. Faust. However, in trying to farm for Red Orbs, I can use the Gunslinger with it pretty effectively, but I was told to use the Hat Trick at the end as an AOE attack to really stack up the Orbs quickly. But I cannot figure out the timing on how to use it. When I press square just after getting the hat back, I immediately shoot red Orbs. Anyone got any tips?

Just do the O version of Hat Trick. It's easier to pull off. The trick is hitting the button right as the hat is coming into Dante's hand. A little too late and he'll just throw it again.

InfiniteBlue

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about mission 10's S rank. What the hell is wrong with that one? I barely scraped by on Human.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue for me is people are saying breakers are Nero's alternative to Devil Arms, but Devil Arms don't go away when you get hit. Again, managing consumables is just not something I want to do in my action games. Especially not consumables the game takes away FROM me. If it was my choice to sacrifice a Breaker to do a powerful move, that's fine, I can work with that. But the fact I pretty much always take hits while using breakers (especially their super moves) just makes them not worth my time to use anymore.

Just look at it this way, can Dante do unlimited air dodges like Nero with Gerbera over and over?

That's the kind of stuff the risk system affords you. It gives you overpowered abilities on top Nero's amazing core abilities. The dude has so damn much without them, the breakers just make him that much more overpowered.

Tbh I can't see how the breakers aren't super useful even if you just use them for their breakage abilities and completely avoid using them normally. Look at the insane damage the Buster breakage does. You can do 8 of those in a row. No cool down. Imagine if Dante could do 8 SDTs in a row and then run his merry ass over to a statue to buy 8 more.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I really want the Japanese steelbook, but I aint paying $60 for it. I think that and RE7 are the only Capcom steelbooks from this gen that I don't have.