• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"the combat is horrible"

4bUV7Ls.gif

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, and I'd say the combat is truly outstanding (for Nero and Dante anyway).

But... the constant loading between cutscenes, levels, and different menus is awful, and the camera absolutely sucks.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
the enemies don't react to getting hit with most of your combos, and they can continue hitting you while you are hitting them.
This is straight up wrong. Enemies do react to your hits and even bigger/stronger enemies can be stunned.

Sorry OP, but you are just bad at this game.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
ECBhDfG.gif

combat is definitely far from bad in DMC5. Maybe it's just not for you?

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I have never been a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series, and I haven't played all the games, but I thought that DMC 5 looked pretty good so I decided to buy it. Nero is likable as well as Nico, however, the games is just bad. The story is told back and forth, and it really messes up the pace a lot, as well as making it to advance with chapters.

The combat is horrible! I kept comparing it with Sonic. A game where the character is supposed to be fast, but every stage is done so you have to be slow and precise, making it frustrating. Same with DMC 5, combat should be fluid so that you can build up combos, but the mechanics feel slow and limited. The bosses are done so that you have to be careful, but then how are you supposed to build up your combo rank? Getting an SSS is extremely hard, but not because the game is hard, but because it's broken! The hits don't feel satisfying because the enemies don't react to getting hit with most of your combos, and they can continue hitting you while you are hitting them.

Another thing that bothered me was that while the game is not hard to learn, the switching of characters, doesn't allow you to learn the mechanics of one character completely. I remember in DMC 4 that you played with Nero and then with Dante. But switching characters every other chapters makes it annoying and hard to master the game. In that same note, the game forces you to play it several time to disguise the lack of content.

I recently saw a thread about saying "I'm done" in a game, and for me, I'm done with this game! I don't even feel like finishing it at all. I am in Chapter 15, but I hate it! I am not having fun at all! I will sell it as soon as possible (thank god I bought it physical, which I never do), to recover whatever money I can get back.

This is an example of a game that was not for me at all. I am sure many people loved it, and I know that if I go to youtube I will find many videos of people doing 1000000000000000000 hits combos and getting SSS rank with their eyes closed, or sleeping.

What did you think about this game, and have you ever played a game that even though you are so close to finish it, you just can't?

Try Bayonetta. It's devil may cry series super mega fast. Much better in my opinion.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Anyway as for "having to be careful", DMC doesn't reward conservative play like that. It's the kind of game where you look at a weapon or attack and get a wild idea and try to see if it works.

Sometimes these ideas enter your head a split second before you get the chance to use them. Like punching a rocket into a cluster of scissors ghosts that just happened to group up

(Not saying this clip is super skillful but it felt cool for me)

Feb 16, 2018
Haha no... it's one of the best action games Capcom has ever made. Great controls, deep gameplay, strong visuals and 3 great characters to play as.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I struggled to get C's on Easy Automatic in 1 & 3, which I played for the first time earlier this year.

I'm just posting this to show I'm not coming at this from a hardcore DMC fan POV.

5 is undoubtedly the best playing game in the series, it controls like a dream, no more camera issues or shit platforming to put up with and combat has more depth than any of the previous games too.

I'm sorry but I have no idea how anyone can consider the game "broken" especially after recent actual examples of broken games like Fallout 76.

The only conclusion I can draw from your post is that maybe you just needed something to play and DMC5 was the best new option but when you sat down to play it you weren't in the mood for that kind of game and tried to force it.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even partially love DMC5 but I had to stop reading at "the combat is horrible."

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"The combat is horrible", "the mechanics feel slow and limited", "The bosses are done so that you have to be careful, but then how are you supposed to build up your combo rank?", "the enemies don't react to getting hit with most of your combos"..."I don't even feel like finishing it at all. I am in Chapter 15 "

My guess is you have no idea about how the combat works, you probably have unlocked like 30% of the moveset of each character and somehow you having no intention on putting in the effort to learn how it works means the combat system is bad, despite everyone in the OT saying otherwise. That´s a bold move, Cotton!

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Hated how the game kept taking control away to show a cutscene, decided that DMC is no longer for me and dropped it to play sekiro instead

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 is really the kind of game where most of the fun lies in coming to grips with the highly technical mechanics and working out how to best use them. You drew a comparison to Sonic, which isn't an invalid one, but I would probably compare it to a racing game like F-Zero or something where the game just isn't that fun if you don't grasp how to play it. That's also the great appeal of these games, that you start from a place of ignorance and confusion but progressively make the game more and more fun just by deepening your understanding of it.

The DMC games also have fairly idiosyncratic control schemes. You might actually have an easier time getting into the Bayonetta or 3D Ninja Gaiden games - they are actually more difficult than DMC5, but their controls are probably easier to grasp for non-genre fans, and that particular hurdle is probably part of why you think DMC5's combat is slow and clunky (it's not, really, but it's easy to see how it could appear that way).

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The fact OP hasn't replied to any post just proves this is a troll post. We all got played like a fiddle.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have never been a huge fan of the Devil May Cry series, and I haven't played all the games, but I thought that DMC 5 looked pretty good so I decided to buy it.

The combat is horrible!

I mean I hate to jump on the dogpile - but you said it yourself in the first sentence.

The fact that you hate the combat is the pinnacle of that (as that's what the series is best known for).

It was/is foolish to think that DMC5 (a game made in response to people hating DmC... somewhat), would suddenly play differently than the hallmark games it is known for.

I like it, but Bayonetta feels so much better to play imo.

1ZOI.gif

Bayonetta 2 is the best character action game of all time.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
This worries me. I didn't like Devil May Cry 4 and stopped playing it, but I enjoyed the others in the past and loved DmC.

It's available for pickup at the library, but I have too much on the go so I figured I'd probably just wait and borrow it or rent it later.

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay you didn't like it OP but you shouldn't have fucked around and made a bunch of really dumb and objectively wrong statements about how it plays.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
giphy.gif

Ik my avatar makes me biased, but it's my game of the year so far and as a DMC fan, it's a serious contender for my game of the generation. The combat was sublime, and easily my favorite of any character action game I've played.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
DMC and games that are similar (not action adjacent) are basically fighting games that reward you for investing time and sinking your teeth in.

You're not going to easily "best rank" the whole game. It's not going to be fun if you're looking to just get from cutscene to cutscene with the least amount of investment. The fun is in replaying with everything unlocked and experimenting.

If you like open world games because of the vastness and freedom, this is that for combat.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Your complaints about the combat make zero sense and outright wrong. Is this real life?

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
The game's enjoyment shoots up exponentially with the amount of precision and control you get over your character.
That is why I hated V's levels, and we have folks in the OT who just go to insane depths with his summons.

Meanwhile, I enjoy progressing through Bloody Palace with Nero, I think he controls perfectly in this iteration.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I found the game and combat absolutely incredible. It's my favorite DMC game. Different strokes for different folks.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
DMCV is arguably the best character action game ever created with galaxy as skill ceiling.

OP, no offense but you plainly just suck.
It may have the deepest combat in Dante but to me to be the best character action game ever made the game needed to have V's combat not be as boring as it is and have level design that was interesting and not bland.