• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mocoworm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Quantic Dream's debut original title for PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro is almost here. A playable demo is out and it's intriguing - Rich takes a closer look at it, with performance data and graphics comparisons. This is a full HDR video - you'll need an HDR screen and a compatible YouTube device here, otherwise the presentation falls back to SDR.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Can't watch yet. Can we get a rundown in a list form please?

- "Tech wise QD has always delivered the goods"
- "We're not too far off of CG quality" on characters.
- High praises for hair animation in the wind, holds up nicely with the AA solution.
- High praises for quality of material and Lens Flare
- UI is praised
- Non-tech related but they also praise the replay-ability of the demo.

- Base console 1080p. PS4 2160p via CB rendering.
- CB Quality holds up pretty well (as demo doesn't have much fast motion)
- Standard PS4: 30 FPS with very minor drops (after story scenes) but proper frame pacing.
- Pro: 30 FPS with proper frame pacing with very minor drops (Same as Base)
- Head to Head the Pro is just a very touch smoother than base overall.

- HDR is aiming more for "Correctness" with subdued colors instead of overblown HDR usage.
- HDR has no performance penalty at all.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm . Yeah the hdr wasnt as bright and shiny as i expected. Could probably get more vibrant pricture out of the non hdr mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't watch yet. Can we get a rundown in a list form please?
"Can't watch this!
Na na na na na na nana
HAMMER TIME!"
giphy.gif

;)

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible what QD is able to pull off. One of those studios where their finished games look better than their tech demos.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm . Yeah the hdr wasnt as bright and shiny as i expected. Could probably get more vibrant pricture out of the non hdr mode.

Yes, I played the demo with both HDR on and off. Honestly much preferred the subdued HDR on mode. With off, everything is maybe too bright/shiny owing to the Neon aesthetic.

HDR doesn't look like someone reduced the brightness/contrast, it just looks more pleasant and colors look more subdued and don't feel like they're extra sharp etc.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
- "Tech wise QD has always delivered the goods"
- "We're not too far off of CG quality" on characters.
- High praises for hair animation in the wind, holds up nicely with the AA solution.
- High praises for quality of material and Lens Flare
- UI is praised
- Non-tech related but they also praise the replay-ability of the demo.

- Base console 1080p. PS4 2160p via CB rendering.
- CB Quality holds up pretty well (as demo doesn't have much fast motion)
- Standard PS4: 30 FPS with very minor drops (after story scenes) but proper frame pacing.
- Pro: 30 FPS with proper frame pacing with very minor drops (Same as Base)
- Head to Head the Pro is just a very touch smoother than base overall.

- HDR is aiming more for "Correctness" with subdued colors instead of overblown HDR usage.
- HDR has no performance penalty at all.
I was definitely pleased with the UI in the demo. It felt "future" without being gimmicky or just for show.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Will probably get this after playing the demo, Gonna shareplay it with a friend so we can both make decisions kinda thing. Graphics are top tier.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
Damn DF are really gushing over the visuals.

It does look amazing.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Another Sony (2nd party?) title reaching 2160cb. Makes me wonder just how much wiggle room there is in some 3rd party titles to achieve comparable image quality.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo last night. The game looks fantastic and that specific section of the game at least is pretty good.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
It'll really shine, quite literally, when your out in the city, all those reflections, neon etc. Apparently they also have different composers for each protagonist, so that will add a different vibe too.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty fun to me but I play these games as a team with my GF

Did the same with my wife on Heavy Rain. Although it usually always devolved into doing the half animation thing and laughing for hours. I don't know why but both of us found it hilarious as hell to spend 3 minutes almost picking up something off the ground.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Did the same with my wife on Heavy Rain. Although it usually always devolved into doing the half animation thing and laughing for hours. I don't know why but both of us found it hilarious as hell to spend 3 minutes almost picking up something off the ground.

Same. Also fun to pad time and anger your SO by doing the right stick motions but stopping right before it's complete (like bending down to check on the fish at the start of this demo :p)

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea is very good but the controls are horrible. If it controled as a normal game it'd be pretty fantastic, imo.
Eh, I'm not really having issues with the controls. All you really need to do is walk and use the swipe/right stick to interact. Seems simple enough and it's not like the game requires fast or accurate inputs

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The idea is very good but the controls are horrible. If it controled as a normal game it'd be pretty fantastic, imo.
If controls are your only issue I'm very surprised. Each person is different but after playing 3 of their games I'm perfectly adjusted to them and don't really mess up much and break the immersion. Objectively I wouldn't call them amazing, but they can be adjusted to relatively fast and then you kinda forget about them. At least in my case.

How I usually play is to not use the right stick much for camera, but only for interactions while I use R1 to change the camera view if it's not good. That way it plays pretty smoothly

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Also fun to pad time and anger your SO by doing the right stick motions but stopping right before it's complete (like bending down to check on the fish at the start of this demo :p)

Yes! Hahaha glad we're not alone. Man that was fun as hell.

Going to have to have the wife play Detroit.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the demo and it was very impressive visually. Both this and GoW have a really incredible implementation of checkerboard. I hope more third party devs (and Naughty Dog) can start adopting it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
When the level loaded up on my base ps4 I was immediately impressed. When it comes to a cinematic game like this it really helps to go the extra mile on graphics and they did a pretty good job.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Love that they do some of the animation attention to detail that Naughty Dog is pushing like Connor dodging objects or people in his path:

connordodgefppac.gif

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Console warring/Driveby post
Nah nothing impressive about this game. This looks only impressive if you haven't played a game on PC or XboxX

Edit: got warning for sracasm :S

Last edited:

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Is it surprising that performance doesn't take a hit with HDR? Never thought about the impact of HDR and never noticed any difference.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is it surprising that performance doesn't take a hit with HDR? Never thought about the impact of HDR and never noticed any difference.

They addressed it because in some really rare cases HDR *can* add very slightly latency or performance penalty. Thankfully we haven't seen that in recent games meaning the developers are implementing it "properly" for the lack of a better word.