• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It makes sense, Steam is where the player base on PC is and has the most well rounded features, tools, and community.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that in any thread about these services, when people talk about their issues with them, it must be because they are "steam fanboys".

No, these services are just a cause of problems for people. Gamepass and the Microsoft store being a particularly large one.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'm Italy and Game Pass for Pc works flawlessly
But i understand that some Steam's fanboy are enjoy to spend so much money in a game pratically already free.

Come on friend. I've had good experiences with Gamepass myself but I certainly don't discount the experiences of others, nor discount the lack of features that I'm used to with Steam.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Just wish they could figure out a better solution for when games go off Gamepass. Right now I have a few games installed that no longer work? I guess? I click them and it just says "you need to purchase this". Wish it would just explicitly let me know that, "This was a Gamepass title, you no longer have access to: Click here for 50% off" or something.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what this headache is that people are talking about with the windows store but I'm glad I hasn't been a nuisance for me.

Nov 2, 2017
I figured it's down to the nuclear option. It's just ridiculous that it comes to that.

I installed it on a 1TB NVMe that I only use for game installs. I guess it's time to back my shit up before I enter the launch codes. What a hassle.
I had a similar problem where it just failed installing but the Windows store thought it was still busy installing. I couldn't cancel or delete the game installation and I couldn't install any other game either. No matter what I tried nothing worked except a format & reinstalling Windows.

That was at the start of PC gamepass though and ever since then I haven't had any issues. I though they more or less fixed the issues but I guess I've been lucky.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they do and I'm glad they are. Alternatives are really great for everyone. Devs seem to be happy with both models coexisting.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I have Gamepass yet I bought Master Chief Collection on Steam. Why? The Windows Store client is terrible. I don't understand how some here can claim its so simple and works cause it flat out doesn't.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
But i understand that some Steam's fanboy are enjoy to spend so much money in a game pratically already free.
Steam fanboy? This can't be serious. I would love to not spend extra money on games that come with the subscription I already have and pay for but the client simply isn't reliable.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
What headache ? You search the game and you install on console or pc.Simple.

hahahahahaha no

I had to download a separate, fan made launcher to play PSO2, a game that has been out in JP on multiple platforms for a while, because the Win10 store/launcher is so incredibly terrible that it's literally acting like spyware. Tried to download gigs of phantom data on my drive just to start installing the actual game itself, yet never got that far because it always crashed. PSO2 deserves so much better.

Steam has really spoiled me on competent services. It does bug out from time to time and isn't perfect, but I can expect those instances to be the exception rather than the norm, and that's why I'll keep coming back to it.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
More so, through all this stuff, Valve continued to add great new updates and features to Steam, brought back a bunch of partners to boot. And is extending into curated subs and cloud as a vendor agnostic provider.

And, tons of really interesting great games whether from these bigger companies or the small. Especially notable, when these "exclusive" games are released, there is always something competitive take a front step among the Steam users.

Not unsurprising that the better service provider happens to continue to be successful. Looking forward to what's next and how Valve and partners keep the momentum going.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Seems like you don't understand the meaning of the word FREE. FREE means.. free, not tied to any restrictions and dependent on a subscription and eventually the game thats 'FREE' being taken out of the service and you not being able to play it anymore. Boy I must be a steam fanboy to pay for a game so i can keep it forever and on a service that has all the all-in-one features set and quirks for my PC gaming habits rather than on an online store that is in a trash state.

Just because it works flawlessly for you doesn't mean that you take that one sample case and objectively apply it on others and judge em. If you just google 'MS store issues' you'll see a plethora of complaints and problems with it.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
hahahahahaha no

I had to download a separate, fan made launcher to play PSO2, a game that has been out in JP on multiple platforms for a while, because the store/launcher is so incredibly terrible that it's literally acting like spyware. Tried to download gigs of phantom data on my drive just to start installing the actual game itself, yet never got that far because it always crashed. PSO2 deserves so much better.
So... one game problem...and the whole GamePass is a headache .
Seems fair.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I had a similar problem where it just failed installing but the Windows store thought it was still busy installing. I couldn't cancel or delete the game installation and I couldn't install any other game either. No matter what I tried nothing worked except a format & reinstalling Windows.

That was at the start of PC gamepass though and ever since then I haven't had any issues. I though they more or less fixed the issues but I guess I've been lucky.
This is actually my first issue with Gamepass, it's been flawless up to this point and I've seen it as an advancement for MS on the platform.

I am going to tentatively call it a fluke this time.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Seems like you don't understand the meaning of the word FREE. FREE means.. free, not tied to any restrictions and dependent on a subscription and eventually the game thats 'FREE' being taken out of the service and you not being able to play it anymore. Boy I must be a steam fanboy to pay for a game so i can keep it forever and on a service that has all the all-in-one features set and quirks for my PC gaming habits rather than on an online store that is in a trash state.

Just because it works flawlessly for you doesn't mean that you take that one sample case and objectively apply it on others and judge em. If you just google 'MS store issues' you'll see a plethora of complaints and problems with it.
For me play Minecraft dungeon and Gear Tactis at day one free...is FREE.
If a game will be not avaible in future... i re-buy it.or maybe not and go on.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
What headache ? You search the game and you install on console or pc.Simple.

You literally can not delete those games if you install them on another HDD and choose to do a clean install. Windows will lock those folders and trying to get the permissions back is already a pain in the ass. I had to reformat my HDD where I installed some gamepass games, because I literally could not delete these folders after doing a clean Windows reinstall.
There are even tutorials on the web to get the permissions back with safe mode, going into registry, changing permissions but that didnt work.

That was fun redownloading 3TB of my whole gaming HDD...

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not super surprised. I know there's a lot of people in PC communities that prefer to have everything together on Steam as opposed to getting games through Microsoft Store / EGS. I don't blame them, Steam kind of has everything you would want out of a gaming client and they keep improving it more and more.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
You literally can not delete those games if you install them on another HDD and choose to do a clean install. Windows will lock those folders and trying to get the permissions back is already a pain in the ass. I had to reformat my HDD where I installed some gamepass games, because I literally could not delete these folders after doing a clean Windows reinstall.
I repeat..for me no problem...i installed e unistalled many games.
I don't know what's wrong in you people.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I purchased a few games that I could have played on Gamepass but instead chose to get in on Steam including Gears Tactics. If the game seems good enough to purchase; I will on the platform I prefer. Easy as that really.

Glad to see all these games doing well on Steam though after being locked away from their Storefront. Expecting Outer Worlds to sell well on there as well.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I repeat..for me no problem...i installed e unistalled many games.
I don't know what's wrong in you people.

Are you stupid? You literally cant uninstall/delete a folder on another Harddrive, if you do a clean windows reinstallation, since Windows locks those folders and unless you are on the original Windows installation where that game was installed, you cant even uninstall it, so you have folders, that, unless you studied IT or went deep into windows privileges, registry etc. literally cant delete. I had around 300GB of an undeletable folder.

Also if a game on Gamepass is too big, have fun redownloading it 3 times till it "sticks".

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
All I'm seeing from this thread is that developers and publishers can have their cake and eat it too.

Same
So i can either take epic money and then six months/one year later still sell well on steam with no repercussion or release straight on steam and lose a lot of cash. What a dilemma.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I don't really understand the intense loyalty, but it exists. For a certain audience, games don't exist until they're on Steam.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it that in any thread about these services, when people talk about their issues with them, it must be because they are "steam fanboys".

No, these services are just a cause of problems for people. Gamepass and the Microsoft store being a particularly large one.

Same old same old. So many people arguing here are platform warriors, having minimal actual interaction with any PC services. Anyone playing on PC for a reasonable amount of time can see the very justifiable reasons so many different people may have for choosing to use Steam or even have it as the only place right now that they build their library. Especially with the additional value added to products you already own in that library, year on year, every year for over a decade. Plenty of things wrong with Steam or that we want to see improve too, but its so stupendously ahead, even of what consoles offer, it's not at all unreasonable for someone to have that preference of using Steam specifically. Equally lots of people enjoy other services too - and that's been the same for decades well before Epic. Again, most of the drama and proclamations of "Steam fanboys" is nonsense for drama.

Just wish they could figure out a better solution for when games go off Gamepass. Right now I have a few games installed that no longer work? I guess? I click them and it just says "you need to purchase this". Wish it would just explicitly let me know that, "This was a Gamepass title, you no longer have access to: Click here for 50% off" or something.

Eventually as Gamepass is more established and built upon along with xcloud and Steam has enough first party content in there, I suspect that Gamepass and Xcloud will be on Steam also, and Steam's role will become a way to try and grab those "out of cycle" titles with relevant sales etc. Looks like Steam will be heading that way with all that we're seeing with curated subs / cloud support

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Microsoft Store has always worked fine for me, but I still don't buy games on there if given a choice. I bought FH3, FH4, Gears 1 and 4 on there because they were and still are exclusive. I have Game Pass Ultimate through 2023, but after that I'm picking up Halo MCC, Gears 5, and whatever else releases between now and 2023 on Steam after my sub expires

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I don't really understand the intense loyalty, but it exists. For a certain audience, games don't exist until they're on Steam.

People maybe want those features that Steam offers that other storefronts dont. I am almost exclusively using BPM for TV gaming, used lots of Community Guides for finishing AC:O collectibles etc.
Other people play with a DS4 that Steam natively supports besides like 100 other controllers that might have problems on other launchers/storefronts.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Are you stupid? You literally cant uninstall/delete a folder on another Harddrive, if you do a clean windows reinstallation, since Windows locks those folders and unless you are on the original Windows installation where that game was installed, you cant even uninstall it, so you have folders, that, unless you studied IT or went deep into windows privileges, registry etc. literally cant delete. I had around 300GB of an undeletable folder.

Also if a game on Gamepass is too big, have fun redownloading it 3 times till it "sticks".
I can. I do it with Gamepass.
But thanks for the stupid.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've seen a lot of interest from China, Japan, Saudi Arabia and other countries for Sea of Thieves this week. While I agree that the Microsoft Store is shit, I also think the availability of Game Pass isn't as good as the availability of Steam.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
So... one game problem...and the whole GamePass is a headache .
Seems fair.

It sure is, because it's my only experience with the store and I am used to so much better that I can't see a reason to ever visit the store again, and I am not the only one since the fans who really want PSO2 to succeed in the West even though they won't see a cent for their efforts made a launcher designed specifically to interact with the store as little as possible.

I don't owe that Win10 store a damn thing, tyvm.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Is it that hard to understand? Valve has been supporting, growing and improving PC gaming for 17 years now. Steam is the best service of its kind by a huge margin. What more would a customer need to show loyalty?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Windows Store is OK until you get problem. Once you get good luck fixing it without extreme measures like Windows reinstall.
But also Top 1 reason I don't play Microsoft games despite having gamepass sub (I don't intend continuing sub after it expires though).
(Top 2 is bad pricing on Steam, but sales will solve that)

How about FH4 on Steam now Playground you know you want to :P

I own FH4+all dlc on winstore but would instantly rebuy on Steam. MS pls.
But apparently chance for this is very slim :(

I've seen a lot of interest from China, Japan, Saudi Arabia and other countries for Sea of Thieves this week. While I agree that the Microsoft Store is shit, I also think the availability of Game Pass isn't as good as the availability of Steam.

SoT was top seller in Finland despite game pass being available here.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm well aware of Gamepass, however there's a couple of things that prevent me from signing up:

1) Microsoft has a long history of being shitty towards PC gaming. Games for Windows, the Microsoft Store and the initial stages of the Xbox/Windows intergration

2) I've had Steam for going on 16 years now - I signed up at the very beginning. I've yet to have a game removed from my library - including games that have been removed from sale (ie: Telltale's Jurassic Park, Blur, Kingdoms of Amular, the original Prey etc.). In that same time frame I've had games removed from my library that I've bought through Microsoft services - Age of Empires III which I got for $0.99 but still. I've also lost access to Battlefield II on Origins during this timeframe as well. I'm much less willing to trust other DD platforms outside of GoG and Steam.

3) Related to point 2, even though I know I don't own the game, the fact that I've had access to the same games in my library for 16 years, there is more of a sense of ownership with Steam. I'm not sure I'll have access to Fallout 4 on Gamepass in 2030 but I do reasonably expect to still have it in my Steam library in 2030.

4) I've kinda stumbled on a way to get a lot games for free via the trading card metagame.

5) Related to point 4, you can make a decent amount of money re-selling your own Steam keys if you have studied the ecosystem long enough. I'm sure some people make a decent amount of money off of it but I mainly use it to subsidized AAA game purchases. I've pretty much subsidized my entire pre-order for Cyberpunk 2077 for instance.

People who turn this into platform wars don't really understand the level of investment some people have in keeping Steam around. That's why I've never been particularly worried about the brouhahah around the Epic Game Store. A lot of people who've been using Steam for 10+ years are basically able to subsidize their own hobby now via Steam.

Edit: Also mods.

Last edited:

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Most people forgot... you're not behind a paywall on PC for Steam or at all.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
thumb_look-carefully-there-are-4-clowns-facing-each-other-durh-57897999.png

I laughed so hard at this.

Edit: Ooops, double posted.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

Some games use the UWP version which can have a lot of problems. I still can't play the Hellbalde version in the xbox app. Had problems with another game which made me stop playing, but don't remeber what game it was.

This shows that most people can wait for most games, since there is enough other stuff to play.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think it's the best thing Microsoft has done in years. And EA too. The chances of me picking up their games just becomes bigger with wider availability. I currently subscribe to Game Pass, but whenever that runs out I could turn to Steam and pick up the games I still play. Bought C&C Remastered this week, not sure if I had done that if they were only on Origin.

Most people forgot... you're not behind a paywall on PC for Steam or at all.

What do you mean with a paywall? Are you behind a paywall on the Microsoft Store?

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Well, yeah.

I refuse to even install EGS and I don't use subscription based services. I'd rather avoid the mess that is the Microsoft store. And Steam is just my favorite platform, by far. I want to completely move to Linux someday too, which also plays a role (but even if I didn't care about Linux I would still buy everything I could on Steam)

I'll probably buy Sea of Thieves as soon as it gets a decent sale.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's 50% off on the Microsoft Store.... haha.

(Yes, people are actually paying 20 dollars more to get the game on Steam right now)
I'll probably buy Sea of Thieves as soon as it gets a decent sale on Steam*

And I don't blame these people lol, if I wanted the game really hard I'd do the same.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Can't use mods with some of the GamePass games which is unfortunate. For example, with Sunset Overdrive there is no way to apply the ultrawide fix for the MS Store version.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Too bad the Xbox app won't let me uninstall or install it. Now I have some phantom SSD space being taken up that I need to research how to find and delete.

Check "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSIXVC", that should be folder where MS Store / Xbox App storages installation files of the games.

"WindowsApps" is hidden folder.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am lucky to not have any issues with MS game store or game pass though their draconian lockdown of the folder structure is annoying. I know a lot of people who have serious issues getting games to even install let alone work.

Given the option on buying games I will almost always pick steam, the infrastructure and feature set can't be beat.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I don't care what store a game is on I buy it where it's cheapest. £7 for Operencia on EGS. Yes please.