• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
I generally hate silent protags, in fact I think it is one of the dumbest trends in all of gaming. Every time I encounter a silent protagonist and watch their interactions with the world around them I roll my eyes or cringe and am immediately pulled from any immersion in the narrative.

Yet as I have LTTP'd Persona 5 Royal, after being a massive fan of the original release, I am realizing just how utterly cool and amazing Joker the silent protagonist is. And I think it's for a few reasons.

The big one is that you are constantly given response options. These choices aren't always meaningful in a game altering way (except if you're trying to score confidant points) but instead you have a way to shape your character's silent personality. You are given options in almost every interaction, texting session and social setup and you always have either a funny-cool, badass-cool or chill-cool option. A lot of the time when people are freaking out, you have the dialogue option to "calm down", in fact I am up to the 4th dungeon and I have had to tell each party member at one point during an escalated moment to "calm down"

The other interesting thing is that the game often provides an internal narration of what Joker is thinking. So even though he never speaks we are often told what he is thinking or feeling. I don't know of other JRPGs which really outline the internal monologue so thickly into their silent protagonists.

On top of that the initial overarching narrative is that you are a socially ostracized person slowly impressing everyone around you. This is similar to the fate of all recent Persona games, but this particular entry in the series focuses much more on being praised for doing impressive things.

All in all, I love roleplaying as Joker, I love my Joker who is never phased by the intensities all around him and is able to tell a witty joke or disarm most of drama with a smart reply. He's the first silent protagonist I've really felt had deep and frequent personality choices built in. So even though he does not speak, I am constantly inputting my little version of his voice and really feel like I know him just as much as any of the other characters who blab on for thousands of lines of dialogue. Even just that contrast of speaking infrequently in a group of chatterboxes adds to Joker's cool factor.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

933.jpg

ASilentProtagonist

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I hate his posture, specifically how he sticks his head and neck forward at the end of a battle. It's a tiny thing but it really bothers me. It's just weird body language.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I'll be honest I found it a bit weird and cringy that every discussion basically comes down to the other character talking at you for 10 minutes, you choose 1 or 2 of Joker's lines, then the other person is like "omg thank you for changing my life perspective, I love you Joker!".

Like bloody hell that's a bit of an embarrassing self insert isn't it?

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I think he works for people as a silent protagonist but I absolutely hated it. I wish he had more of a speaking personality, but this was also my first persona so I don't have that same attachment to silent protagonists in the series like many do.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Morgana ain't lying, Joker IS looking cool.
Love his design especially his Phantom Thief outfit. I normally don't really fuck with gaming merch but I got his amiibo. Nintendo got me I just couldn't resist that time.

That said, I still wish he wasn't a silent protagonist. Even though he has a few dialogue choices here and there he is still mostly silent and that still makes a lot of things awkward (also really noticable in the phone conversations where everyone is typing up a storm and the most that comes from him is like "ok, let's do that".)
Bums me out that the anime didn't really rectify that either. It was nice how the previous Persona animes fleshed the main characters out.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He goes to school and therefore fails the most basic requirement for being cool which everyone knows is ''Too cool for school''.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When he flicks the calling card at Maruki that was peak coolness

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's all in his facial expressions - that smirk. He's a mild-mannered quiet kid out and about, then a cocky Tuxedo Mask in the palaces.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Teacher: "But I'm a teacher, and you're my student..."

Joker: "That's the best part."

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The kid who has no problem dating his teacher and little sister character (or every girl at once)? Jokers a creeper

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
p4 protag>Maya>p5>p3>Tatsuya>p1, Maya would be the best if she retained her personality when she becomes the mc, as she doesn't she ends up being just better than joker.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, Joker is my favorite silent protagonist. Out of all of them, he by *far* has the most personality and uniqueness especially compared to other silent protagonists.

Byleth felt like (to me) that he had the least personality of silent protagonist I've played.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Maruki is cooler.

I wasn't actually very happy with a lot of the choices available from Joker, especially with Yusuke. Yusuke is interesting and endearing and the game always wants me to insult him.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, they'd be better if they weren't silent.

We know they're not *actually* silent and talk a lot as seen with all the subsequent spin offs when the previous MCs are no longer the MC they become chatterboxes, and are better for it. It's just the games hide it from you until later, which then makes the fact that people get so attracted to Joker/Narukami/... odd with what you're actually shown.

As is I'm still more of a fan of Yu Narukami because we've had actual games show what he's actually like as a person instead of vague inconsequential text options for the player.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
he's kinda lame

Everyone bends over backwards to love him and he is able to date hot teachers in a game that tells you how awful teacher/student relationships are

It's like he's designed to be projected on

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's really cool for sure. My favorite is how he walks into Mementos like a boss.

I wasn't actually very happy with a lot of the choices available from Joker, especially with Yusuke. Yusuke is interesting and endearing and the game always wants me to insult him.
I agree with this though. He's a bit limited in dialogue as a leader, and I wish there was more caring options (like with Yusuke like you said).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joker is probably my favorite of any silent protagonist. Helps that his body language alone gives off a lot of personality.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah him and Yu Narukami are like the epitome of player insert Gary Stu, and yet for some reason I have no problem with it lol

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
he's kinda lame

Everyone bends over backwards to love him and he is able to date hot teachers in a game that tells you how awful teacher/student relationships are

It's like he's designed to be projected on

That's the vibe I got from him too. He's like a plank slate for players to project on and he doesn't have a personality conflict or values that you can engage with.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Joker's coolness over everybody else felt a bit over the top. I think it made a bit more sense in P4 since Yu came from the city and was swagging out on those country bumpkins

Everyone in P3 was pretty cool.

ThisIsPrfct

Jun 9, 2019
Joker's coolness over everybody else felt a bit over the top. I think it made a bit more sense in P4 since Yu came from the city and was swagging out on those country bumpkins

Everyone in P3 was pretty cool.
P3 MC is the greatest of them all and his ending is incredible sad, heroic, cool, etc... still waiting for a rpg persona crossover to solve that.