• I've not been to the movies in years

Votes: 107 22.6%
  • I've never been to the movies, not even for Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have a Regal subscription and love seeing movies in the theaters, but I don't think a lot has changed really. People still see big event movies like Spider-Man, Top Gun, Avatar, and Mario. Smaller movies still get largely ignored. Theaters will always be around but I expect them to downsize outside of the big cities as the years go on. People in smaller areas will just have to drive 40-60 minutes to see a movie instead of 15-30, I imagine. Blockbusters and franchises will still thrive as always.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
They need to scale down and redirect their focus. Too many theaters but also not enough premium screens, which is why people are going to theaters these days. Each theater might have one IMAX and one additional premium screen and we're seeing it's not enough in times like the previous month.

There's a world where theaters have a big purpose but there's probably too many sites for these theater chains post pandemic lockdowns.
I agree with that.

Reducing the number of theaters and making the remainder a premium experience is the most likely future.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I am sure you drink your mountain dew with your pink in the air
Only the finest for the Dew

hrp_30142916_front.jpg

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is rewriting history. A lot of people were proclaiming that theaters were either dead or in such a decline that they were on their way out. Lots of people relished in it too.
Yeah, I also remember folks saying any sort of delay for streaming in the future was unacceptable to them, that they shouldnt have to wait while others were getting to see things in theatres. It was strange.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I love theaters. I love going to theaters. But lets not pretend that the current stable of "hits" are sustainable. The successes noted in this article are John Wick 4, Scream 6, and a film based on the most popular video game character of all time. Talk to me when something not based on a highly recognizable, long-established IP is doing these kind of numbers. Happy that folks enjoy streaming and I don't think we'll see theater->streaming windows expand, but while I don't think theaters are "dead," I don't think theaters are "healthy" either.

This is really depressing yeah. Like, Beau is Afraid is coming this month and I'm not even sure it'll show in my city

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I love theaters. I love going to theaters. But lets not pretend that the current stable of "hits" are sustainable. The successes noted in this article are John Wick 4, Scream 6, and a film based on the most popular video game character of all time. Talk to me when something not based on a highly recognizable, long-established IP is doing these kind of numbers.
Why do they need to stop regurgitating IP's if that's what the people want though? Maybe people will want 6 more Scream movies. When Keanu stops acting, we'll get John Wick Jr.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we have had these discussions a million times, and most of our positions were never that theatres were dead, just that we prefer at home viewing and that at home viewing options were getting better with dates.

Some people took that shit like a slander against their entire family line, and have been brooding over it since covid. Like get a grip dude. I'll go see event movies at theaters sometimes too, but I don't care which method you prefer. As long as I get reasonably timed digital releases, why would I care if you prefer to see it in a theater or not? Your preference doesn't threaten mine at all. Movies are always going to come to digital at some point; and these days sooner rather than later in comparison to decades past.

Such a weird chip to have on your shoulder. Jesus. 😅
It was truly pathetic.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I mean, theaters are still going to struggle, it's not like they were doing great pre pandemic. The death of mid budget movies happened way before 2020.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Why do they need to stop regurgitating IP's if that's what the people want though? Maybe people will want 6 more Scream movies. When Keanu stops acting, we'll get John Wick Jr.

In my opinion it shows Hollywood is in a bad shape (creatively) compared to other decades. At least we got A24

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I love theaters. I love going to theaters. But lets not pretend that the current stable of "hits" are sustainable. The successes noted in this article are John Wick 4, Scream 6, and a film based on the most popular video game character of all time. Talk to me when something not based on a highly recognizable, long-established IP is doing these kind of numbers. Happy that folks enjoy streaming and I don't think we'll see theater->streaming windows expand, but while I don't think theaters are "dead," I don't think theaters are "healthy" either.

The first hit of the year was M3GAN, which is a completely new IP.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
For me personally, I have no idea how my local theaters are still in business. They should be dead. I went to the first showing of black panther and there were like 10 people there. Different theater for Antman opening showing was even less.

First scream 6 showing was about 15 people

I'm curious to see what the first GOTG showing is like

Knew a small theatre owner and they said that most of their revenue came in the summer school holiday period. That's what kept them open all year and everything else was just surplus

CalmYeti

Oct 27, 2017
They don't need to (I enjoyed both John Wick and Scream's latest), but it's clear that the space for original stuff is smaller than "before" times.
The first hit of the year was M3GAN, which is a completely new IP.
Horror is the only genre that gives me hope. This appears to be the one genre that still gets butts in seats. Terrifier 2 also did pretty good.

Last edited:

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
is it possible to ever do one of these threads without throwing passive aggressive shade at the side of the argument you don't like

Wait, you can have threads on any major topic on Era without passive aggressive shade? When did that happen.

Yeah, I also remember folks saying any sort of delay for streaming in the future was unacceptable to them, that they shouldnt have to wait while others were getting to see things in theatres. It was strange.

I'll take the L on this. My reasoning was due my special disabilities requiring captions (which theaters still haven't provided an option for. And I mean open captions, not the clunky device). It was also because I was under the (incorrect) impression that they did have a plan long term to make the service profitable, and if that was the case, I did want what I was paying for. But I've come around that if the films need more time to make money before they get to me, it's fine.

I'm still staying as an at home user though despite the longer wait times. Theaters don't get me back until there's at minimum open caption options for screens with those with disabilities.

In my opinion it shows Hollywood is in a bad shape (creatively) compared to other decades. At least we got A24

A24 has cheaper budgets and allows original IPs require less people in order to be a success. So those who are more invested to the industry as an art form can ensure those films get made without the need for those less invested in the medium as an art form.

Bluntly, this is no different than the issues streaming had. Everyone wanted things that required more money to make, and required an audience that doesn't see as much that the industry provides, similar to video games. You get more original IPs and ideas at cheaper budgets. You are not going to get everyone less invested in the medium than you to support every risky original story.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They don't need to (I enjoyed bothed John Wick and Scream's latest), but it's clear that the space for original stuff is smaller than "before" times.
It does feel like that, which is kind of sad. Here are the movies playing at my local cinema:

Scream 6 (sequel)
Shazam! Fury of the Gods (sequel)
John Wick 4 (sequel)
Dungeons and Dragon (established IP)
Mario (established IP)
Air (I guess this would be original even though it's also a biopic)

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if they did more "See as many movies as you want" subscriptions like A-List, I'm sure it'll help getting more people to see more movie at low risk.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I think I said streaming was Pandora's Box and it still is but instead of just accepting it, Hollywood is gonna combat all the shit streaming opened with Endless IP and Sequels, Longer Theatrical Windows and I don't know if that shit will be sustainable.

Arthouse Cinema still is recovering from the Pandemic and my Valley Art is still fucking closed. (Hey Harkins, open it.)

Mario making bank and Top Gun and the like show things are recovering but I still get the feeling they delayed the inevitable.

Plus, AMC is already jacking up prices and adding seat tier pricing and yeah...dunno about that.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think I said streaming was Pandora's Box and it still is but instead of just accepting it, Hollywood is gonna combat all the shit streaming opened with Endless IP and Sequels, Longer Theatrical Windows and I don't know if that shit will be sustainable.

It's more sustainable than just releasing it on a streaming platform.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I like how people want to subtly rewrite that there weren't people proclaiming theaters dead, and even celebrating that death. Yeah, it was just about 'your preference' lol. Sure.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to (I enjoyed both John Wick and Scream's latest), but it's clear that the space for original stuff is smaller than "before" times.

It does feel like that, which is kind of sad. Here are the movies playing at my local cinema:

Scream 6 (sequel)
Shazam! Fury of the Gods (sequel)
John Wick 4 (sequel)
Dungeons and Dragon (established IP)
Mario (established IP)
Air (I guess this would be original even though it's also a biopic)

Allow me to be blunt, and add onto my post above: Are you both willing for movie budgets and effects to get cheaper and go lower?

The past 100 years of films have seen the tops ones mainly familiar IPs or familiar genres because those are the ones the people less invested in flock to. But your original IPs back in the day did not require what audiences demands are today.

Everything Everywhere All At Once is a fantastic movie and is a success. But it's at a much, much cheaper budget so it could be profitable solely on people who want more original IPs and moving the industry as an art form.

Again, it's literally no different than the issues with the video game industry. You can't talk about how companies need to be more profit minded on streaming entertainment, then ask why we're not having a ton of big budget original risky stories when it requires additional support from an audience that doesn't see everything because they're not as invested as you.

You want more original? You need more practical budgets. I'm not quite certain the enthusiasts are going to be ok with that though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming also undercut themselves with every studio rolling out their own service. No one is going to want to pay for all of it or even most of it.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
They need to scale down and redirect their focus. Too many theaters but also not enough premium screens, which is why people are going to theaters these days. Each theater might have one IMAX and one additional premium screen and we're seeing it's not enough in times like the previous month.

There's a world where theaters have a big purpose but there's probably too many sites for these theater chains post pandemic lockdowns.

Yep. There are too many screens overall, and not enough premium screens. Exhibition will be fine once they fix that balance.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
A24 has cheaper budgets and allows original IPs require less people in order to be a success. So those who are more invested to the industry as an art form can ensure those films get made without the need for those less invested in the medium as an art form.

Bluntly, this is no different than the issues streaming had. Everyone wanted things that required more money to make, and required an audience that doesn't see as much that the industry provides, similar to video games. You get more original IPs and ideas at cheaper budgets. You are not going to get everyone less invested in the medium than you to support every risky original story.

I'm completely fine with lower budgets, my favorite movie of all time is just 4 people arguing in a room lol (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf). Although it's still depressing that big risky projects like Scorsese films are getting rarer

CalmYeti

Oct 27, 2017
Allow me to be blunt, and add onto my post above: Are you both willing for movie budgets and effects to get cheaper and go lower?

The past 100 years of films have seen the tops ones mainly familiar IPs or familiar genres because those are the ones the people less invested in flock to. But your original IPs back in the day did not require what audiences demands are today.

Everything Everywhere All At Once is a fantastic movie and is a success. But it's at a much, much cheaper budget so it could be profitable solely on people who want more original IPs and moving the industry as an art form.

Again, it's literally no different than the issues with the video game industry. You can't talk about how companies need to be more profit minded on streaming entertainment, then ask why we're not having a ton of big budget original risky stories when it requires additional support from an audience that doesn't see everything because they're not as invested as you.

You want more original? You need more practical budgets. I'm not quite certain the enthusiasts are going to be ok with that though.
Personally speaking, I'm very okay with that. And I think more "enthusiasts" are okay with it than implied here (Dogme 95 didn't come from Hollywood looking to maximize profits). But, to your point, this is similar to video games and I'm speaking as an audience that does not make up a significant enough portion of the movie going public to financially justify it outside of niche spaces.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Is that the reason for that stupid-ass "you're the hero" thing in front of Dungeons & Dragons?

Oct 27, 2017
As long as streaming continues to be a money pit, theaters aren't going anywhere. Especially for big films. There's no path to profitability for blockbusters on streaming services.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely fine with lower budgets, my favorite movie of all time is just 4 people arguing in a room lol (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf). Although it's still depressing that big risky projects like Scorsese films are getting rarer

It's rarer because you are not going to get the "only sees x amount of films a year/only looking to relax and chill with friends/loved ones" crowd to see 20+ of those films a year. And you need them at higher budgets and with modern effects. Maybe at the standards back in the 70s, 80s and 90s that could work on mainly enthusiasts for higher budgets. It's not practical with today's demands.

Personally speaking, I'm very okay with that. And I think more "enthusiasts" are okay with it than implied here (Dogme 95 didn't come from Hollywood looking to maximize profits). But, to your point, this is similar to video games and I'm speaking as an audience that does not make up a significant enough portion of the movie going public to financially justify it outside of niche spaces.

More than I'm suggesting? Yes. Enough to make a difference? I've seen enough threads on era that judge movie production values and wanting to be wowed (as well as on the gaming side) to disagree. And that's just era. I'm not even talking about the wider internet when era makes up a fraction of the fraction.

never

Oct 28, 2017
My house with a big tv, surround sound, 2 floofy kittens who like cuddling, my friends, and recliners are a much better experience than movie theaters.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
I saw D&D last week and that was my first time in a theatre since Fast and the Furious 7. I don't really watch movies at home either but it was nice to be out. I honestly thought the sound and picture could have been better but it wasn't a premium screen. It did make me want to go more often so I guess it was good enough!

Corrik

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2022
In the last year I have seen... Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar re-release, Avatar 2 twice, Scream 6, John Wick, Creed 3, Antman, and Wakanda Forever.

I wanna see Dungeons and Dragons also but am gonna wait on that one I guess.

Scream 6 was ruined by kids in the theater who literally would not shut up at any point in the movie. But, otherwise, all good times and movie theaters remain the best way to view things.