• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
So essentially it gave a massive tax break to Disney and now the two Democratic leaning counties conveniently will have to take up the $1 billion debt?

What the hell?!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
If insane right wingers are going to ban Disney entertainment from their homes, what's left for those kids? What increasingly nutty conservative world view movies and shows for children exist to meet their warped and bigoted standards?

I'm not the biggest Disney fan but they pretty much own everything that kids love.
One of their news personalities, I forget his name, I think his wife posted pics of the whole family at Disney World just recently. Making him a huge hypocrite of course. IIRC, they had to disable comments on their post and he tried to wave it off as "only went for the kids". Yeah, sure.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
He's trying to own Disney but actually it's a pay hike for 2 blue districts but he likely knew that.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They don't lose any sleep when billionaire sports team owners pass the burden of stadium costs onto taxpayers, so I doubt the GOP will care about this.

DeSantis will probably just make all the roads in Disney World toll roads to make up for it. They love those in Florida.
Considering how people here have voted on measures that pertain to property tax increases, I have a hard time believing that they'll just swallow the speculated 20-25% property tax increase.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
You can argue all you want about whether or not Disney should have had this right, but from that thread linked above-

This is going to HURT the people living in the two counties affected.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
realistically what can they do? the counties directly affected only have so many votes and are probably against this to begin with. both the house and senate are republican. the governor is republican. the vast majority of floridians aren't going to be affected by this.

i don't recall hearing anything from them before the bill was voted on. they could've started with saying something about it. they've got a kabillion dollars. they can reach people with a message if they want to. surely Mr. Disney could arrange a phone call with legislators in the state and strongly encourage them to not vote for this ridiculous bill?

whether or not it would've had any effect on the vote is a different question.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a bunch of politcal bullshit. This won't happen lol, they're not about to put those tax liabilities on individuals in said counties.

Finch

Jul 10, 2020
Osceola county already has an absolutely horrible struggle with homelessness. I can't imagine this isn't going to make that infinitely worse.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not American, hopefully this isn't a thread derail: why does Disney have "a private government" in Florida? That sounds really weird, I'm assuming there's some greater context I'm lacking.

My kid did a project on this a year or two ago, and I think one aspect was that it could have its own fire department and other functions to respond quicker to emergencies.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Florida governments whole fucking grift is that they don't anything and thus don't have a lot of taxes. This will end that in central Florida.

Edit:

I almost hope he tries it and has to deal with consequences and blowback that will result. I know how much this will crush regular people though so I don't wish it on anyone.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I get what this does as mostly a boon for Disney (lol) but say Desantis gets the boot, could a new gov reverse it? Would Disney even want it back?

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from the reason for this to occur, why are we giving megacorporations this kind of agency in the first place?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i don't recall hearing anything from them before the bill was voted on. they could've started with saying something about it. they've got a kabillion dollars. they can reach people with a message if they want to. surely Mr. Disney could arrange a phone call with legislators in the state and strongly encourage them to not vote for this ridiculous bill?

whether or not it would've had any effect on the vote is a different question.

it all happened in less than a week. sure desantis postured about it earlier but it was pretty quick. plus how do you get people, specifically republicans, to care about something that doesn't affect them? hell, they might even enjoy it if it mainly affects blue areas. why would elected officials not do something that their red base loves? they eat this dumb shit up.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Queue the cheers from the progressives as we bring down the mouse and businesses start to support the GOP over fears of what DeSantis will do next.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Didn't we just have a thread saying they can try but people have to sign off on this and they are Disney themselves?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get what this does as mostly a boon for Disney (lol) but say Desantis gets the boot, could a new gov reverse it? Would Disney even want it back?
It's a short term boon for Disney, because they get some money and lose some debt, but for a company of their size, they'd probably prefer to have the special district. Needing to ask permission for things and rely on local governments to approve changes is going to gum up their works, and I think over the next ~50 years, they'd happily pay more if it means upping their efficiency and, thus, potential profits.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Its a little hard to keep track of since there seems to be a ton of different takes on it, but i saw something yesterday or the day before that essentially this wouldn't probably go into effect until the election. Cleverly when DeSantis is probably planning to bail on the state and run for the presidency.

Another thing i saw said that if reversed, Disney could have some even better negotiating on what they'd get out of a new bill.

Oct 31, 2017
Reading a lot of these recent GOP news threads just drives the point that there's still plenty of people that either don't understand, or are straight up in denial, that this country is in thrall to a surging fascist movement and what exactly that means.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Now watch as an Orlando exodus happens due to the massive rise in taxes.

Living in Daytona, there's been a massive explosion in housing construction lately. And Deltona was already a popular destination for people who work in Orlando to buy a home in order to commute.

I know it's easy to write Desantis off as a short-sighted dumbass but part of me also wonders if part of this was very intended.

So essentially it gave a massive tax break to Disney and now the two Democratic leaning counties conveniently will have to take up the $1 billion debt?

What the hell?!

And adding to what I was saying, Volusia County is very much a Republican-leaning county

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian, I've seen a lot of online discourse about this, but have any big name Dems really spoken much about this? If not, it really feels like they're letting the GOP shape the narrative on this, regardless of the outcome.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian, I've seen a lot of online discourse about this, but have any big name Dems really spoken much about this? If not, it really feels like they're letting the GOP shape the narrative on this, regardless of the outcome.
The dems are fucking lost and useless in 2022.

Florida is a dem Death Valley.

And nobody gives a shit in the USA what people elected in other states have to say about states they weren't elected in.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's a short term boon for Disney, because they get some money and lose some debt, but for a company of their size, they'd probably prefer to have the special district. Needing to ask permission for things and rely on local governments to approve changes is going to gum up their works, and I think over the next ~50 years, they'd happily pay more if it means upping their efficiency and, thus, potential profits.
They are the largest private job creator and taxpayer in the state. If govt is holding up plans to expand the park and with it create more jobs and bring in more tourism money to the state, that will put pressure on politicians.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
From the twitter thread...

7/ When Reedy Creek goes away, that tax goes away, and Orange and Osceola Counties can't do anything to get it back. However, the counties will now be responsible for all of the services Reedy Creek provides and all of the debt it has accumulated.
11/ That doesn't appear to be the case here because a vote was never held to implement the district 55 years ago.
Essentially, Disney will lose some control of its property, and get a $163 million per year tax break and ~$1 billion of debt passed onto taxpayers.

Between now and whatever time "Reedy Creek goes away..." couldn't Disney go on a massive buying spree, racking up as much additional debt as they want, knowing it will all be passed on to the taxpayers?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty important to note that Disney originally funded parties that supported this bill. It wasn't until rampant outcry within their own company that they voiced a pale disapproval. So the get they worst of both worlds. Way to go you stupid mouse.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
A decision that benefits literally nobody and hurts everyone. Just to be spiteful. Fuck this authoritarian asshole and GOP tactics.
Conservative legislation in a nutshell, regardless of the country. Especially nowadays, where conservatism is mostly indistinguishable from fascism.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
it all happened in less than a week. sure desantis postured about it earlier but it was pretty quick. plus how do you get people, specifically republicans, to care about something that doesn't affect them? hell, they might even enjoy it if it mainly affects blue areas. why would elected officials not do something that their red base loves? they eat this dumb shit up.

i'm not saying Disney could've necessarily stopped it. i'm saying it might've been worth the effort to try. you know, for human rights and all. afaik the company only spoke out about it after they were pressured to do so by employees after the passage of the bill. so to me it's clear they don't really care too much about the issue.

which makes it morbidly humorous that they're now being "punished" by Florida.

Bengraven