• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with this as long as they aren't gonna like spoil every single sidequest for players.

At the very least it'll be funny to see a narrator try to explain how world tendency works.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
hmm i wonder if there will be trophies for not using game help? that would be something.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty cool for those who enjoy these games but don't have the time (family, work, illness) to really figure things out. I'm glad for these type of options, we need more of this in video games.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
These games dont have an easy mode because "dont use it" was never part of the intended experience.

For me atleast it seems sony view external forums/youtube as time spent away from the console, and therefore time they arent capitalizing on
it is a feature a QoL improvement that no one is forced to use

Sony isn't stopping anyone from going to forums, etc...

if people don't want to use they can just not use it but the feature is still there

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Are these included on the disc/install or are they streamed in? Just curious how they work.

Oct 25, 2017
I love this. This is a great compromise to the lack of accessibility. Hopefully it's useful for new players and eliminates the need to read endless wikis and watch 20 minute "beginner build" videos on YouTube. That kind of gatekeeping is the worst.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
There's your easy mode. And that's on top of helper NPCs, co-op, and the original magic system.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
It's intentional. A way of forming a community that works to piece the game together. Having this work all done by the developer ahead of time short-circuits that community building.

It depends on what sort of information is being dolled out in these videos. I agree that I wouldn't want intentionally obscure things like World Tendency or certain boss fights to be explained explicitly with this system, since the community driven discovery of how a lot of the game works IS a huge part of the appeal, but folks want guidance on how to manage their build, level up, use item storage, etc, that's totally reasonable.

zerosnake99

Oct 25, 2018
I don't particularly like this.
You don't like having games more accessible for other players? Like, I get it. I got the game at the NA launch. It was awesome discovering all the ins and outs of the game, but Demon's Souls is obtuse as fuck. Giving people more insight and guides is a good thing.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's intentional. A way of forming a community that works to piece the game together. Having this work all done by the developer ahead of time short-circuits that community building.

Exactly. Think PT/Fez.

It's all about the execution and implementation though. I like the feature, but not sure I like it implemented to this degree for a game that would thrive on secrets/discovery/community discovery.

I wonder how FROM Software would use it for their next big Souls game.

Edit: In this case since it is a remake that seems to adhere very closely, if not exactly to the source material - I suppose the above argument matters less.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
These threads always serve as a reminder that some people really care about being in some "elite-gamer-club". Helpful hints/tips for people to beat this game? Oh no, what if those people also think they belong to the ELITE GAMERZ CLUB?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is the same as looking stuff up on youtube on your phone but Sony is cutting out the middle man and just putting it right on your TV. They seem to be pushing the social aspects too so people stay on the Playstation platform rather than go to Discord or some other place so it makes sense. I don't know why people are equating this with a difficulty setting.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's an awesome feature. Especially for people who are unfamiliar with how soul games work. I relied on YouTube to learn the fundamentals of Bloodborne at launch. So this will come in handy for many people allowing them to experience the greatness of these games.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska

I disagree. The amount of obtuse and poorly explained mechanics in the series could put some people away. I spent way too long on Bloodborne wikia to figure stuff out the core game play failed you when you need an external site. I never once felt a feeling of community playing any of these titles besides the but hole comments on different dead corpse leaning over different surface.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
played the original before any of the other souls games, and this seems fine to me.

i do wonder how this will affect first-time players' experience with the game and how much this will affect how future "difficult games" will be received based on whether or not they use this feature.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, but these, like the signs placed in the world by other players, are community creations.
You could have a point if that game wasn't a remake that the community has already fully explored

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Can't wait to one shot people with a glass-cannon firestorm build.

:D

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Can't wait for hardcore gamers to complain about this while simultaneously following online guides step by step to 100% these games.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland

Yeah, but these, like the signs placed in the world by other players, are community creations.

Then why do Day 1 strategy guides exist? It's the same thing, i'm pretty sure there was one for Dark Souls 3.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This is fantastic for a game that can become very obscure and confusing sometimes.

Hopefully people won't think this is bad or it "ruins the experience and goes against what the creators wanted". But they will.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds good? You gotta be weird for disliking this. It's literally the same shit as looking on Youtube videos, just with the hassle of Youtube removed.

Jan 3, 2019
I'm not upset about it, I just don't like the idea of a game being revealed/explained to this degree from day 0. Although I'm assuming the videos cover every single encounter/secret by the amount of them.
I would wholeheartedly agree if this wasn't a decade old game already.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not upset about it, I just don't like the idea of a game being revealed/explained to this degree from day 0. Although I'm assuming the videos cover every single encounter/secret by the amount of them.

Wait til you hear about strategy guides, which have been made for decades. That'll really make your blood boil.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
People will just open up YouTube to look this shit up anyway. Might as well remove a step for them. Everyone else can just ignore the feature.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
That's nice but it isn't a replacement for making the game more comfortable for players with disabilities to actually play and it doesn't negate the need for more granular options.

The people taking shots at the "easy mode" stuff are all being extremely shitty.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
So is it the developer doing the work for these ? In that case I can't see it lasting past the first year at all to be honest , developers are rarely going to be arsed putting in the time curating videos for that.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

This is a remake its not something fully new so yeah we got many guides and tips already