Which theme hits better?

• Original

Votes: 375 33.4%
  • Remake

Votes: 747 66.6%

• Total voters

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I personally think it fits really well. It sounds hopeless and that is how many players feel fighting Flamelurker the first time. There is no gimmick, no intrigue, no climax. It's just constant tension as you carefully hit and run while hoping Flamelurker doesn't annihilate you with an explosion.

The new theme doesn't get that hopelessness across. And that's the biggest problem with it.

Almost every From boss makes one feel hopeless. It's not unique to flamelurker.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Hm. I was expecting to be down on the PS5 one, but it's nice. I don't know if it's a Demon's Souls song.. I don't know if it's a Flamelurker song either.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017

Flamelurker, aside from one other particular boss, was the main real hump as far as bosses went in Demon's Souls. And it's not even just that but basically all Demon's Souls tracks are slower and more ethereal and simmering melancholy rather than the shock and awe style the music began to evoke as the series went on. It was 100% in line with the rest of the game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People forget the actual Flamelurker fight, or for that facr even most of Demon's Souls bosses, isn't that even fast paced. It's certainly the fastest fight in Demon's Souls sure. There's a dance against Flamelurker but while animations themselves are snappy and quick, Flamelurker is a long ways in terms of their royal rumble boss development from how things get in Dark 3.
Absolutely.

Here's a video of the new theme with the old fight. And it's kinda bizarre hearing the music go so fast and hard at certain points.

Flamelurker is the most infamous difficult boss in Demon's Souls. He's also notable as one of the only bosses with no real gimmick (Not counting AI glitches). There's no "trick" to beating him like there are for many of the other bosses. You just hit and run, constantly on edge because of the explosions.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Could also be a reason. But i had hoped people would be more appreciative of something that deviates from the norm. Sometimes art that is too pleasing bores me.

Edit: misread your overall point but my post still ends up supporting what you mean

The core of the push back from many is that it deviates it *towards the rest of the series*. It's just sounding more like a track that you could hear in Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Demon's Souls just sounded different flat out. Ya it was lower quality. That sucked. But it still evoked a tone that they largely moved away from. It's the same issue with making all the architecture more gothic instead of medieval/dark age. We've had four games obsessed with gothic architecture and they go and make Demon's Souls towards what's been done over and over instead of letting it breathe as its own thing and show why it stood out to many and why many still said it was their favorite even after four other games came out. It's all just changing the tone entirely.

Last edited:

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, the original is generic

This word has lost all meaning and no one knows how to use it.

Yep I see no issue with this, that seems like it was always there listening to the remake theme over the PS3 footage.

It feels wrong to many people who have played Demon's Souls because it is so not a Demon's Souls track. It's just such a fast paced and bombastic track for a game that basically doesn't have anything like that. At most you have... Tower Knight I guess? And it's not even a particularly fast one compared to the rest of the series. Demon's Souls is almost entirely about more haunting and melancholic tracks and the original Flamelurker track fits right in with that. So it's just "wrong" to hear something much more layered and booming against the old footage for many that are used to Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

Here's a video of the new theme with the old fight. And it's kinda bizarre hearing the music go so fast and hard at certain points.

Flamelurker is the most infamous difficult boss in Demon's Souls. He's also notable as one of the only bosses with no real gimmick (Not counting AI glitches). There's no "trick" to beating him like there are for many of the other bosses. You just hit and run, constantly on edge because of the explosions.

Man this is amazing, it makes the fight more hype. The music pairs well with Flamelurker's explosions and destructiveness

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The horns in the PS3 track sound actively bad. Like comically bad.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
It feels wrong to many people who have played Demon's Souls because it is so not a Demon's Souls track. It's just such a fast paced and bombastic track for a game that basically doesn't have anything like that. At most you have... Tower Knight I guess? And it's not even a particularly fast one compared to the rest of the series. Demon's Souls is almost entirely about more haunting and melancholic tracks and the original Flamelurker track fits right in with that. So it's just "wrong" to hear something much more layered and booming against the old footage for many that are used to Demon's Souls.

Doesn't feel wrong to me, was my point. Not only do I feel this fight is frantic enough to actually fit the tone with the constant dodging of his blasts, From Soft games have kinda become linked to that sound for me with BB and Dark 3 so I have no issue with it there even if the original game didn't have that kind of a sound.

EDIT: Although I still love old-school From Soft music, like King's Field stuff which is still my favorite OST from them.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Sure the new track sounds more like a boss fight, but I dunno if that's necessarily an improvement. I mean, does this sound like a boss fight?

Not really, but it's arguably one of the best boss tracks of all time, incredibly unique and memorable. Imo the Souls games are at their best when doing things that are sort of "off-kilter", what you wouldn't expect.

The difference is this song actually feels good. It doesn't feel lacking in anyway. It's hard for a piano piece to really feel like it's lacking any instruments.

But the orchestration in the original flamelurker track leaves much to be desired, and it's hurt even more by the really awful midi instruments.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I like both, but the tone of PS5 is generic as all hell. Honestly it misses the mark. I'm not a fan of arranging another composers work and then changing the tone. If that's how Flamelurker was supposed to sound, I'm damn sure even with the crappy midi it could've gotten close to that. It's meant to be somber for a reason. Demon's, Dark and Bloodborne are all tonally different titles. It's should have been respected. Bloodborne's score of all things should not have influenced Demon's Souls.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think the remake theme is incredible. It fits the setting of the new arena and what they're going for.

Its just a bit disappointing they decided to make everything a bit more bombastic. I think it sounds awesome and many games wish their music was this good but its just not quite what I was after for DeS. It just doesn't fit the tone of the game.

I cant imagine the Adjudicator theme all juiced up like this. Thats what I love about the DeS OST. Themes like this.

While i acknowledge the theme is great i just would have preferred the more subdued nature of the original.

Oct 25, 2017
There's no chance the remake is going to satisfy everyone but I wish people would stop being apprehensive every step of the way to it

Nothing wrong with preference, there is a very clear difference between the original and what we've heard of the remake's soundtrack (and I don't think it's fair to constantly post the Resident Evil basement music to mock it)

At the same time, a lot of the apprehension I've seen comes from the fact that Demon's has its own appeal compared to where FROM went with the formula afterwards. While I certainly get that (I feel it myself plenty of times towards albums from bands for instance) Demon's was this weird thing that was written off as a failure that ended up kicking off this crazy new style of game that has become a staple of modern gaming.

They're taking all of the lessons and advancements made in the 10 years since this original game and wrapping it back in to treat it as though it was being made today, with the care and budget of a "respected franchise" vs some weird thing that needed to be saved mid development

Again I don't expect everyone to be on board, it's a game people obviously care deeply about but good lord some of the reactions are miserable
I don't really agree. The single most impactful change made to the series since Demon's Souls released was the move to an interconnected world, with the next step being a full open world with Elden Ring. All they're doing with Demon's Souls PS5 is updating the presentation, they're not in any way taking the lessons and advancements made to the franchise in any actually substantial way.

And I don't even say this as criticism, because I also enjoy the original structure, even though I prefer Dark Souls 1's interconnected world. I'm glad they didn't turn Demon's Souls into Dark Souls 1, but that's what it would mean to take all of the lessons of the past 10 years and treat it as a new entry in a respected franchise released today. A Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2 would never be hub+levels.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really agree. The single most impactful change made to the series since Demon's Souls released was the move to an interconnected world, with the next step being a full open world with Elden Ring. All they're doing with Demon's Souls PS5 is updating the presentation, they're not in any way taking the lessons and advancements made to the franchise in any actually substantial way.

And I don't even say this as criticism, because I also enjoy the original structure, even though I prefer Dark Souls 1's interconnected world. I'm glad they didn't turn Demon's Souls into Dark Souls 1, but that's what it would mean to take all of the lessons of the past 10 years and treat it as a new entry in a respected franchise released today. A Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2 would never be hub+levels.
I meant it more in terms of presentation/quality of life. Making it play, look and sound how a new Souls would play, while still being the same game

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Absolutely.

The remake is better. It fits the mood of the fight even better. The final product will be even better than that video.

I won't say the old soundtrack is bad, but it certainly is the way it is because DeS was a low budget title.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
These threads are always dominated by nostalgia merchants so I'm surprised by the poll

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
These threads are always dominated by nostalgia merchants so I'm surprised by the poll

They're actually dominated by people with dismissive and annoying takes who seem to think not liking something more, just because it is technically better instantly means you're blinded by nostalgia, or like "fart trumpets"

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Original is the better song and the better ft for the game thematically.

Remake is the better conventional fit for a boss fight.

I hope they haven't changed the tone of the Adjudicator boss fight in the same way. That fight really suits the music it had
including the intermittent bird calls, I really like the vaguely menacing, unsettling and outright weird tone of the whole thing

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
They're actually dominated by people with dismissive and annoying takes who seem to think not liking something more, just because it is technically better instantly means you're blinded by nostalgia, or like "fart trumpets"

Genuinely enjoying something of lesser """objective"""" technical quality isn't allowed.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
What i have heard so far of the remakes music is very bloodborney and that is a very good thing imo because i think bloodborne has the best soundtrack of any game ever.

While i appreciated how weird the original soundtrack was i never really grew to like it much, the awful instrumentation didn't help, there were some bangers though.

Hey man you do you, it's okay to like fart trumpets. ;)

Last edited:

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
The OG track absolutely fits Demon's Souls themes. Kind of not excited about straight up replacing tracks. People have to experience that track after going through archstone 2 to really get it.
Edit: Yeah, really though I think Demon's Souls original soundstrack fit From Software in 2009, and Demon's Souls remaster soundtrack fits FromSoftware in 2020. Anyway, I'm totally biased here, the original Demon's Souls OST is one of my favorites.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's common for discussion in a thread to be dominated by the people most passionate talking bout a specific topic, rather than the actual majority opinion on that topic.

And that's fine.

What i have heard so far of the remakes music is very bloodborney and that is a very good thing imo because i think bloodborne has the best soundtrack of any game ever.

While i appreciated how weird the original soundtrack was i never really grew to like it much, the awful instrumentation didn't help, there were some bangers though.

Hey man you do you, it's okay to like fart trumpets. ;)
I honestly would love to hear a simple re-orchestration of the original tracks with minimal changes to the composition.

A lot of games have great music hindered by bad instrument quality. Take Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. The gym leader theme is really memorable, but it's also let down by the incredibly bad GBA sound font. But if you listen to the redone version in Pokemon Colosseum, it's phenomenal.

Last edited:

RhaZo

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, SP - Brazil
Every time I read that Bluepoint compositions are in line with newer Souls Games like Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, there is only one thought in my mind: People don't know shit about sonority.

All Bluepoint compositions I heard until now fails to capture From Software intentions with the game. And again, it's not in line with Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne as well. The music sounds like a generic epic movie would.

Bloodborne sounds like an occultist magic session, where someone is the sacrifice to satan. It is a horror videogame, and everything, from the music to the art style, delivers this tone. Miyazaki was inspired by a Fever Dream, Call of Cthulhu, and King in Yellow when he and his team created this game.

For me, Demon's Souls remake is a cultural appropriation that has gone very bad.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
The theme has better instrumentation but boy do I wish we'd get over adding a latin choir chant to everything.

OP
OP
SoulsHunt

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
730 (67,2%) votes for the remake and 357 (32.8%) votes for the original, that's not too bad !

I'm sure a lot of fans will enjoy this remake, despite being a bit different from the original one.

They changed the tone. The atmophere was completely changed.

The art direction is very different from the original game. And the OST is looking to please Call of Duty and Battlefield audience or worse: people who don't mind it.

And this is not about better or worse, is about huge changes.
You really said that, don't you ? To me, it just sounds like a Dark Souls III / Bloodborne theme. And that's what it is. The OST is just looking to be like the latest FromSoft games. The original one is good, very good, but this one fits more for this kind of fight. Plus, I liked the fact that you can hear the same melody at 2:30, they are doing their best to satisfy fans from PS3.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Unclouded by nostalgia, remake blows it away for me. I love orchestrated music of all kinds but that ps3 track is kinda bleh to me.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I prefer the OG. I like both though.

But hey, I'm one of those people who disliked what Square did to alot of the tracks of the original soundtrack of FF VII for the remake. A more faithful Still more fighting would have been great, like what they did in that third phase of that song near the end. Pure bliss.

Everytime a reached a song that was faithfully recreated (a handful of times that happened) I got chills.

But I digress. The original Flame Lurker song reminds me more of the tone of some of Ico's soundtrack. Like when you fight at the end. That otherworldly feel. Miyazaki was famously inspired by Ico so maybe that was part of it.

Nov 5, 2018
Saitama, Japan
Original is much more solemn and omnious with that bass tuba and trombone.
As is often the case with every music, less is more.

I just wish we could replace the soundtrack to the original like REmake 2/3 😣

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my friend you should watch this video. You can hear a bit of Astrea's music in this:

Thanks for the link, good to hear that amazing song again. The melody sounds a bit drowned out by the choir and other instruments, but I hope it remains strong and the centrepiece of the song. Obviously this little snippet isn't representative of the finished product but I hope it's not too busy because it will take away from the simplicity and sombre tone of the original. That boss isn't supposed to be epic or exciting. It's intimate and saddening, and the music should be restrained enough to reflect that.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

Is kinda weird seeing this epic melody going for several minutes when the actual fight never increases intensity and kinda stays flat for the whole of it.

And is kinda why the orchestration worked so well on BB and late Souls games, because fights are an actual crescendo on intensity and speed. Bosses having multiple phases makes the epic music work much better than in this case, since it actually feels epic and your foe goes further and further and you have to keep up, and it fills you with adrenaline and excitement which the music helps to build.

This is why I feel the original works so much better in context, Flamelurker is not a particularly 'fast' boss by Souls game standard, he feels ominous and big and powerful and the more 'flat and dull' melody of the original matches way better the actual flow of the fight.

Last edited: