Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Sony did it dirty really. They didn't see its potential at the time and didn't market it well enough. Shu recognizes this and he's regretted it ever since.

This is true, but did they fund it in the first place? Without Sony the original might never have been made! Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but damn what a legacy Demons has with all these Souls influenced games these days.

I only played the original once through, so I'm really looking forward to playing this. I did prefer DS1 and Bloodborne, but this had some cracking levels and bosses (and some I wasn't as fond of)

Oct 27, 2017
This is true, but did they fund it in the first place? Without Sony the original might never have been made! Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but damn what a legacy Demons has with all these Souls influenced games these days.

I only played the original once through, so I'm really looking forward to playing this. I did prefer DS1 and Bloodborne, but this had some cracking levels and bosses (and some I wasn't as fond of)
From what we know it was supposed to be something that competes with ES Oblivion (I also heard it was supposed to be a King's Field game) before Miyazaki said screw it and made it into what it is because nobody cared about the game anymore and he was free to do what he wants with it.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
I started playing Bloodborne earlier this year and thought it was amazing. I quickly jumped into Sekiro right after. I then purchased all the Dark Souls games on PS4, but I was not going to get a PS3 to play Demon's Souls. From Software was not interested in going back to this and I think most here would prefer that they focus on crafting new experiences. I'm happy that I get to experience this with the original game logic intact. The veneer by Bluepoint has it own flair but it's hard to argue that it doesn't looks amazing on new hardware.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco

"As incredible as they are, Soulsborne often encountered technical limitations that testified to the limited resources of FromSoftware. With this remake of Demon's Souls, those restrictions are shattered. Incandescent in beauty, the kind to fall for the next-gen on a whim, this remake transcends From's dark fantasy with each new location. And when we also know all the masochistic pleasure that it provides, all the gigantic challenges that await you, all the memories that it brings back to the surface, we have only one desire: to put it between you by force to (re) discover the power of the formula in the most beautiful setting. Bluepoint Games has gone above and beyond to keep the experience almost intact while rethinking the general ergonomics, with countless details that will delight veterans, and which will no doubt come to the aid of the curious who will finally take the plunge - and what best time to do it. We also sometimes touch the limits of the remake exercise - if you still have a very precise memory of Demon's Souls, the surprise effect may be limited to the graphic part. But considering the quality of the original game, that's not much of a problem. When goldsmiths look at a rough diamond, it is to make it the crown jewel." - 9/10

The Conclusion to the Gamekult Review since its behind a Paywall.

Last edited:

Dr_Biscuit

Oct 28, 2017
France
9/10 Gamekult
Wow, they are usually harsh for reviews and they still gave it their maximum score (they never scored a game more than 9)
  • Pros :
    • All the basis of the SoulBorne series are there.
    • Teleporting from one world to another has never been this fast.
    • Beauty and fluidity next-gen worthy.
    • Visual effects that transcend the experience.
    • Some adjustments in the inventory are welcomed.
    • A mirror mode among other small bonuses.
    • The asynchronous help still effective.
    • Better awareness of the World Tendency.
    • HUD gains better readability.
    • The new orchestration will make your head spin.
  • Cons :
    • No new Archstone.
    • Fundamentally the same game, minor details aside.
    • Helping videos are anecdotal (but not intrusive).
    • The game can be brutal in its difficulty.
    • Even with the new adjustments the inventory is still tedious.

- "When masters look upon a diamond in the rough, it's to create the crown jewel."

Last edited:

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
It's amazing to think about what a niche game Demon's Souls when it originally came out, and yet here we are over a decade later celebrating its revival as one of the all time greats!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the trajectory the series has had has just been incredible to watch. I remember owning a PS3 and being bored by most of the games of that generation. Then in '09 I started hearing the quiet rumblings of this weird, hardcore "dark Zelda" looking game, and honestly, it didn't look that appealing but I decided against my better judgment and picked up the collector's edition and 7 playthroughs and a platinum later, it became one of my favorite games of all time.

I live seeing that my favorite Souls games is now a killer app for Sony's new system.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
  • Pros :
  • Cons :
    • No new Archstone.
    • The game is brutal in its difficulty.

- "When masters look upon a diamond in the rough, it's to create the crown jewel."
It being difficult is a con?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
From what we know it was supposed to be something that competes with ES Oblivion (I also heard it was supposed to be a King's Field game) before Miyazaki said screw it and made it into what it is because nobody cared about the game anymore and he was free to do what he wants with it.
Sounds like it being not a huge budget thing worked out in its favor in this case. With Miyazaki being able to make it in to what he wanted.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
4players.de gave it a 90 (same as the original, also the same tester)

www.4players.de

Demon's Souls - Test, Rollenspiel

Vorhang auf für die Rückkehr eines ganz großen Klassikers: Demon's Souls. Mit diesem Abenteuer konnte From Software im Jahr 2009 eine der einflussreichsten und wichtigsten Serien der Spielegeschichte begründen. Der Erfolg von Dark Souls, Bloodborne & Co wäre ohne diesen Meilenstein der...

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
  • Pros :
  • Cons :
    • No new Archstone.

interesting. None of the Cons are bad or a big deal to me. It seems like a very polished remake.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it being not a huge budget thing worked out in its favor in this case. With Miyazaki being able to make it in to what he wanted.
Yeah and I am glad that happened.

It is funny, when you dig deep into the game you can find how much stuff was basically put together in a rush. A lot of assets in the game come from other From games. It works really well as the game feels very mysterious and weird in a very good way compared to other games in the series.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Ars Technica review
The good:
  • The ambitious gameplay of the 2009 original has been preserved.
  • Flexes PlayStation 5's sheer teraflops to push some of the most incredible geometric detail and dynamic lighting ever seen in a game.
  • The newly renovated game universe organically helps players steel themselves in a game that requires serious patience to succeed in.
  • Robust sound design emphasizes atmosphere and monster voices in your vicinity, as opposed to creepy noises for creepiness's sake.
  • 60fps frame rate transforms the experience, and super-fast loads after dying are equally welcome.
The bad:
  • The incredibly difficult gameplay of the 2009 original has been preserved. You have been warned.
  • Still fails to hold players' hands along the way, and while the lack of "easy" mode is fine, unclear game-element education feels silly in 2020.
  • Skips many next-gen graphical talking points, particularly ray tracing and seemingly endless virtual worlds, if checking those boxes matters to you.
The ugly:
  • The noises you'll make after thinking you've gotten the hang of the game, then dying carelessly to an animation (dodging, healing) not finishing quickly enough before a monster smashes or burns you to death once again.
Verdict: A must-buy for PlayStation 5, should you have the stomach for the original gameplay formula.

arstechnica.com

Demon’s Souls PS5 review: A gorgeous game worth dying (repeatedly) for

To get to gaming’s rendering future, you must strike through its unforgiving past.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably a dumb question but I've never played a Souls game and I've been planning on going through the franchise in release order - should I skip the original PS3 game and play this (meaning I'd start with Dark Souls) or play both the original and this one? lol

Also unrelated but I've been living under a rock - should I do the same with Shadow of the Colossus?
If you have the time it might be worth it to play in release order and then wrap around and play the remake. That's the kind of thing that I'd really enjoy, but wouldn't be for everyone. Otherwise, playing the remake first would be fine.
I'd also recommend checking out Shadow of the Colossus via the PS3 remaster before the remake. If you have the time, play Ico first as well.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
The disconnect between reviewers and this game audience is jarring. Why were they expecting that it would have been made more easier and/or changes to the game design in general? It's not like Sony even advertised any of that. That maybe nitpicking from my part since all the reviews are praising the game.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Ars Technica review
The good:
  • Flexes PlayStation 5's sheer teraflops to push some of the most incredible geometric detail and dynamic lighting ever seen in a game.
  • The newly renovated game universe organically helps players steel themselves in a game that requires serious patience to succeed in.
  • Robust sound design emphasizes atmosphere and monster voices in your vicinity, as opposed to creepy noises for creepiness's sake.
  • 60fps frame rate transforms the experience, and super-fast loads after dying are equally welcome.
The bad:
  • The incredibly difficult gameplay of the 2009 original has been preserved. You have been warned.
  • Still fails to hold players' hands along the way, and while the lack of "easy" mode is fine, unclear game-element education feels silly in 2020.
  • Skips many next-gen graphical talking points, particularly ray tracing and seemingly endless virtual worlds, if checking those boxes matters to you.
The ugly:
  • The noises you'll make after thinking you've gotten the hang of the game, then dying carelessly to an animation (dodging, healing) not finishing quickly enough before a monster smashes or burns you to death once again.
Verdict: A must-buy for PlayStation 5, should you have the stomach for the original gameplay formula.

arstechnica.com

To get to gaming’s rendering future, you must strike through its unforgiving past.
Literally nothing in the bad section is bad.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
After all the clamouring for a remake over the years, how good is it to get it for the goddamn launch of PS5.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
So I read on this forum that Demon's Souls is the easiest Soulsborne game. And yet reviewers say that the remake is brutally difficult, apparently to the point where it's a bad thing.

A bit confused here.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  • Pros :
  • Cons :
    • No new Archstone.

Knocking marks off for most of those 'cons' would be harsh. It's a remake.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So I read on this forum that Demon's Souls is the easiest Soulsborne game. And yet reviewers say that the remake is brutally difficult, apparently to the point where it's a bad thing.

A bit confused here.

In the original, you could hold a huge supply of healing items. Not so in the remake. That may be part of the different impressions at least.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017

A bit confused here.

I think the bosses are easiest if I remember it correctly. It just has less shortcuts and a lot of enemies on the way to the boss. So it's more in different areas. But last time I played it was 2 years ago so.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Sony did it dirty really. They didn't see its potential at the time and didn't market it well enough. Shu recognizes this and he's regretted it ever since.
It turned out for the best though, the main series is now multiplatform thanks to this and Bloodborne existence is also mainly Shu's apology lol.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Ars Technica review
The good:
The bad:
The ugly:

arstechnica.com

Cons: ray tracing, hope they put this con on all games that misses ray tracing on next gen. No easy mode as a cons too... Give me a break.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Stunning reviews so far, so happy for Bluepoint, they nailed it!

LMAO at those reviewers listing difficulty among cons. We are in 2020 guys, do we still need to hear this with souls games?

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
It being difficult is a con?
I feel like the only way to see that as a con is they could have added accessibility options for difficulty but really Demon's Souls is one of the easier of the Souls series. Especially if any one played Bloodborne or Sekiro they will walk through this game. I went back and played the PS3 version after I played Sekiro and I was laughing.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the first boss. Yeah this game is amazing. Between this (amazing next gen graphics), spiderman (great raytracing showcase) and astrobot (great use of dualsense) PlayStation Studios have made a great launch lineup. Best part is, All those 3 games are high quality. They're so fun to play!

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I feel like the only way to see that as a con is they could have added accessibility options for difficulty but really Demon's Souls is one of the easier of the Souls series. Especially if any one played Bloodborne or Sekiro they will walk through this game. I went back and played the PS3 version after I played Sekiro and I was laughing.
Sekiro is the easiest, though (never played DeS).

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Staunchly disagree. As someone who started with Dark Souls, and beat every game since then multiple times, I've still never actually finished the original Demon's Souls. Between the infrequent checkpoints and the only healing items being consumables, not to mention the clunkiness of the movement and animations owing to it being a game from like 2009, Demon's Souls can be one of the most frustrating Souls games to play through imo. I still shudder at the thought of having to trek all the way back down through the Valley of Defilement after a failed attempt at the boss.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It is a con for a lot of people, me included.
It's also a positive for a lot of people too which is the problem. This isn't different from putting "too realistic" as a con for a sim racing game, where even if it does turn some people off, it's also part of the appeal of the genre for others. It's just information they should let people know about, rather then list it as a good/bad thing.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
image.png

I mean the OG has an MC of 89.
Considering that the remake has all of that and is a graphical showcase for next gen, a 90 seems like a safe bet.
Critic consensus over the Souls games has also risen since then, and as others have said this is the legacy title that started it all.

The only point I can see for scoring lower is the "it's just the same game" or the opposite "it's not exactly 100% faithful" from someone.
To be fair, they have done a tremendous job of reimagining the original game and presenting in a way that makes people stop and say "holy shit, next gen is here". On the other hand, they've stayed very faithful to the encounters and character control of the original. I think the scores will hinge on that factor. For some, that's a huge positive. For others, that's a negative as Demon's Souls was the grandfather to five (?) Soulsborne games and what was innovative in 2009 may not have the same impact in 2020.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
well it's a con to me for sure
Difficulty is what most Soulsborne fans expect and want, though. It's part of the product's value to many players, and it's usually marketed as such.

To me saying that a Souls game being hard is a con is comparable to saying that a horror movie being scary is a con.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Staunchly disagree. As someone who started with Dark Souls, and beat every game since then multiple times, I've still never actually finished the original Demon's Souls. Between the infrequent checkpoints and the only healing items being consumables, not to mention the clunkiness of the movement and animations owing to it being a game from like 2009, Demon's Souls can be one of the most frustrating Souls games to play through imo. I still shudder at the thought of having to trek all the way back down through the Valley of Defilement after a failed attempt at the boss.

I never had such an easy time on a Souls game than using a magic build on Demon's Souls.