• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which OST do you prefer ?

• Original

Votes: 71 43.6%
  • Remake

Votes: 92 56.4%

• Total voters

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

It's been more than a month since Demon's Souls released on PS5. Which version of the OST do you prefer ?

And yes, this time topic is not about one specific theme. I know some misunderstood that last time (important to read OP !).

Previous polls,

Theme of Flamelurler - 1,122 votes :

- 33.4% for the orignal (375 votes)
- 66.6% for the remake (747 votes)

One Who Craves Souls - 630 votes :

- 21.7% for the orignal (137)
- 78.3% for the remake (493)

As of me, I'm just making this thread to read your thoughts on the OST. I listened some themes but am still waiting to play the game and discover the rest in game.
For what I have heard tho, some themes seems better while others are kinda meh. But I'm waiting before making any judgments.

note : thumbnails are from Bluepoint's ArtStation

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
While I enjoy both, I prefer the original ost. The remake ost is rather bombastic and the original ost is quite understated and unique in comparison.

The original Maiden in Black theme is soooo much better than the remake version in my opinion.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I think the new soundtrack suits the lavish "let's spend as much money as we can on making this look pretty" aesthetic of the remake, but ultimately I prefer the original. It's less generic. Just because you can use an entire orchestra for a song doesn't mean you should.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 1000%

... Haven't played the remake though, just listened to the soundtrack.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
There are some tracks I really like on ps5 such as the flamelurker and allant's theme. However, some like tower knight and adjudicator are much inferior imo. Honestly, I think it would have been better to just straight up reorchestrate the music but not adding anything else. Or hire Shunsuke Kida back to rearrange it himself

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest, I've only played the remake, and the OST didn't make an impression on me really at all. So I'm curious about the PS3 one.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
As much as a Souls fan as i am, i never paid attention to the soundtrack, so either soundtrack is fine i guess, lol

Oct 21, 2020
I very much prefer the original ost due to how unique and memorable it is, despite the lower sound quality, perfectly fitting demon's souls' sombre and yet slightly bizarre atmosphere.
The new ost isn't bad, but it was completely rearranged, making it sound nothing like the og ost. It also sounds overly bombastic and can be very messy and disjointed at times. There are some gems, such as vanguard's ost, but overall I prefer the original's simplicity.
Honestly I just wish that bluepoint rerecorded the original ost like what they did with the sotc remake's ost to fix the lower quality sound of the original.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. some I like the original while others I prefer the new version or some I like them equally as much. Astrea's is different but I really dig the remake version.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoy both versions, but I prefer the original.

The Remake OST can feel like a let down. At its worst, it sounds like they gathered up every "epic fantasy blockbuster" musical trope and used it as a soundfont for rearranging the original tracks.

This works well in some cases (Tower Knight, which is was kinda whatever to begin with). However, some of the original motifs were written with a certain timbre in mind (Storm King, Dirty Colossus, Maneater). As a result, they come off as generic and bland when rearranged into something you'd hear in a Lord of the Rings wannabe that was sent out to die in February.

I think the best example of this is Flamelurker. I actually like the new version, but the original told a more interesting story: there's a smoldering, deeply brooding anger emanating from this creature, rather than an explosive rage that's always dialed up to 11.

Dragon God, Maneater, and Dirty Colossus are the tracks that irk me the most.

Dirty Colossus isn't this glorious titan that deserves a bombastic theme with a choir. It's a hunk of crap, bone, and flies that lives among most pitiable group of people in the game.

Maneater's theme is still pretty decent in the remake, but the tension in the original Maneater fight comes from barely seeing the red eyes of these creatures flying around in the dark while also being very, very afraid of the ledges. Now the music is more intense, so a subtler — but possibly more potent — form of dread is replaced with another.

At first glance, Dragon God is very much deserving of a bombastic orchestra and choir, but the neat thing about the original track is that it makes the fight feel more like a careful cat and mouse game with a literal god that can smite you with a single punch. Now it sounds like a generic movie action/chase scene.

Still, some tracks are straight upgrades. Compared to the original, you can hear a pin drop among the whispers in the new version of Old Hero, which is kind of the point of that whole fight. The new song does a better job of telegraphing the fact that this enemy can't see you, so if you're quiet *cough*equip the Thief Ring, idiot*cough*, it won't be a difficult fight.

Old King Allant was a disappointment in the original, and I always thought it should have been switched with the Old One theme. I still enjoy parts of it, but having a fully-fledged refrain of the game's main theme works so much better here, seeing as this is the climatic "real" final boss fight of the game.

Vanguard (originally Penetrator, but it wasn't used for that fight) is one of my favorites in the original, goofy horns and all, and it gets a fresh coat of paint in the remake.

Finally, there's Maiden Astrea. I love, love, love the original, yet I'm happy that Bluepoint took a different approach in the remake. Now we have two excellent variations of the same theme, similar to Gwyn, Lord of Cinder (Dark Souls) and the latter half of Soul of Cinder (Dark Souls III).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the original. Though the Remake has a couple of bangers like the Storm King's theme, I don't like how overly bombastic it always is.

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
A lot of the Remake's tracks sound like generic, bombastic, forgettable movie soundtracks. There's a few that are good, but overall not a big fan. They were trying to give it a Bloodborne treatment I think, but without actually having any memorable melodies.

On the other hand, I wasn't a fan of the low quality samples that the original used. There were songs I liked that just kind of sounded bad because of the instrumentation.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Astrea's theme changes once you kill Garl, not sure if it did that in the original.

I do think that track playing during the game kind of highlights the downside of the new OST though - you have this epic full orchestra playing when the fight just consists of Garl camping a mud slope. I think the simplistic and offbeat nature of the OG soundtrack generally fits the bosses of this game better.

edit: Also the original Maiden in Black theme is so much more somber and powerful when it's just the one or two instruments with dead silent rests that are uncomfortably long. In the remake it just kind of blends into a mesh of softness.

Last edited:

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Ps3 for sure. While the remaster is much better on a technical level, the PS3 version has so much charm and I actually kinda loved the emphasis on horns that really made it unique. Adjudicator's original theme for example is just so effing weird that it kinda works with how strange the fight is itself.

Also the new Astraea theme is SO disappointing.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Original OST has poor quality instrumentation and recordings, but it has its own unique flavor and a distinctly somber and subdued tone to it.

Remake OST throws all that out the window and sounds like it could have come from any Dark Souls or Bloodborne. That's not necessarily a bad thing depending on who you are, but it's distinctly not Demon's Souls. Too bombastic and also way, way too many "epic" chanting choirs. Why on earth would you put that in Fool's Idol or Maiden Astraea?

Songs like Armored Spider are completely unrecognizable from the original and sound like a mishmash of music they thought sounded cool. Adjudicator really hurts because it was one of my favorite boss themes from the original. The remake version sucks out all of the uniqueness from it.

Oct 26, 2017
Adjudicator... look at how they massacred my boy...

remake ost need to learn to fucking chill for a bit. I'm all in favor of reinterpretations, but when it seems like their main idea regarding the original material was "get all that soft slow weird shit outta here, WE'RE TRIPLE A BABY, GOT US SOME ORCHESTRA" I can't say I'm impressed

Last edited:

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the original. The remake just sounds like standard game music to me.

The original version of the Tower Knight theme sounds like it's laughing at you, it's great.
The remake just isn't like that.

Bluepoint should patch in the original ost

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Remake is a good example of how bigger isn't always better when it comes to music, and how opting for symphonic/orchestral recordings can turn a piece into something utterly generic.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I much prefer the original, which seems weird because I generally prefer both Dark Souls and Bloodborne's OSTs to others in the series precisely because they use a full orchestra instead of mixing a small number of real instruments/vocals with synth (Dark Souls III and Sekiro) or just use full synth (Dark Souls AotA and Dark Souls II), but those pieces were explicitly written to be full orchestra pieces. By contrast, while I believe Demon's also only uses synths, Kida wisely decided to write these as chamber pieces, with only a few instruments playing, giving it a unique feel from the other synth-heavy Souls OSTs that try to replicate a full orchestra.

People already used most of the good examples to illustrate this (Flamelurker, Tower Knight, Adjudicator), so I'll post both Vanguards:

Just a very different feel. The former is goofy, which both acts as a way to acentuate it's admittedly silly appearance, but also gives the player a false sense of security. The latter, by contrast, uses the same melody, but makes it more "epic" and outwardly tells the player "You're probably gonna eat shit", along with getting rid of the goofy element.

Then there's Phalanx, who gets a completely new theme written for them instead of reorchestrating the original (which is weird since Phalanx is one of the few pieces that'd actually benefit from a full orchestra):

There are some pieces I actually like - such as the Penetrator's remixed version of the Tower Knight theme - but overall I prefer the original despite its poorer sound quality.

Last edited:

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I like some pieces in the remake equally or even better, but overall, I find the original has a much more subdued, unique flavor that's more befitting of the game. I really wish Bluepoint would give us an option to use the original soundtrack, even if the sound quality is lower.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's really hard for me to decide. Both fit their games so well, and I don't think I can rightly decide because those rose tinted glasses of the original Demon's Souls experience just don't come off.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Adjudicator... look at how they massacred my boy...

remake ost need to learn to fucking chill for a bit. I'm all in favor of reinterpretations, but when it seems like their main idea regarding the original material was "get all that soft slow weird shit outta here, WE'RE TRIPLE A BABY, GOT US SOME ORCHESTRA" I can't say I'm impressed

I wanted to write this really level-headed, explanatory post but in reality, you nailed how I really feel about it. There's something so damn "Hollywood" and big about it and I don't like it at all in context despite it obviously being extremely well done in its own right.

The sound design in general is a bummer to me compared to the original's ultra moody reverb-and-echo-everywhere approach. I think the original does a way better job, and one of From's major strengths in general, at conveyed your character actually inhabiting those spaces and not just floating through them via their sound design. Is it overblown and unrealistic in the original? Hell yeah and I think it's amazing and really sells the world.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Remake. Both has its fault, the Remake can be a little too bombastic and not nailing the tone of the original, but the original synth quality is often just so incredibly bad. Even for its day.

The compositions one of another version aren't that great anyways IMO . Storm King and Flamelurker are the ones I can remember.

Last edited: