• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
it didn't happen, is my point

?

"Now we can argue about the merits of having superdelegates," Weaver continued, "but we do have them. And if their role is just to rubber-stamp the pledged-delegate count then they really aren't needed. They're supposed to exercise independent judgment about who they think can lead the party forward to victory."

Weaver added that superdelegates don't vote until they actually go to the convention, and he considers their allegiances as movable as poll numbers.

If by the convention Sanders has "substantial momentum" and has substantially "closed the gap" in pledged delegates, Weaver said, "I think there's a strong argument to be made to superdelegates that they should take another look."

Weaver also argued that because Sanders has won several late primary states, he would have momentum going into the convention. In 2008, Obama lost nine of the last 12 contests, but still left the primary season with a pledged delegate lead over Clinton.

www.npr.org

Sanders Campaign Now Embraces Superdelegates As Key To Nomination

In a sharp contrast to earlier in the campaign, the Sanders team now hopes superdelegates will see him as the better Democratic candidate and support him ahead of the convention.

I would certainly agree that Weaver's plan did not work.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is why I like polls tbh. I'm sure there are tons of people with strong feelings but don't want to jump into the discussion for one reason or another. The polls show how people on this forum actually feel, even if they don't necessarily want to join the Discourse™ as you said.

I mean, why does it matter that those of us who aren't immediately on the Bernie Sanders is the only way train are in the distinct minority here? If it wasn't for us evil moderates here (and by moderate - I mean we're to the left of 80% of the population as opposed to the baseline of being to the left of 90% of the population and some of the people who are painted as being anti-Bernie here are voting for Bernie in the primaries), this forum would have an even more blinkered view of the actual voting populace, and frankly, plenty of political history and theory that gets ignored because it happened before 2016.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why does it matter that those of us who aren't immediately on the Bernie Sanders is the only way train are in the distinct minority here? If it wasn't for us evil moderates here (and by moderate - I mean we're to the left of 80% of the population as opposed to the baseline of being to the left of 90% of the population and some of the people who are painted as being anti-Bernie here are voting for Bernie in the primaries), this forum would have an even more blinkered view of the actual voting populace, and frankly, plenty of political history and theory that gets ignored because it happened before 2016.
It's good for the sake of perspective. It's never a bad thing to have a closer reflection of reality.

edit: But I don't want to get too far into meta commentary. I just think it's nice.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's good for the sake of perspective. It's never a bad thing to have a closer reflection of reality.

Why is it good to have a reflection of reality when the reality you're looking as (this forum) doesn't match the reality outside of the world? When you only focus on what your narrow reflection of reality within your ingroup, you end up like the Gaming forums, that's constantly surprised that NBA 2K sells a ton despite all the microtransactions, or whatever.

There is no reasonable person who actually doesn't think this forum is incredibly pro-Sanders. I'm sorry we sometimes show up to rain on your parade about the revolution every so often.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa isn't winner take all, so, are we calling the winner who ever takes the most dels?

News stations will call a winner based on their exit polls once the caucus is over (if things aren't too close to call) and the narrative of the "winner" will be as usual the person who won most votes. The difference between Obama and Clinton in 08 was 1 delegate, but no one really called that a "tie". The narrative was that Obama trounced Clinton.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The media won't even hold Republicans accountable for things they said in the last year.

Also the media: Here's some shit we found from 1972.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
if you think that's bad I have it on good authority that Bernie also opposed an even more recent war and you should hear what he said about that

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil

Shit, they got him this time!

"Sanders's antiwar activism is well documented and has been raised as a concern during past elections".

Actual quote from the article. Unbelievable that antiwar activism can be seen as a concern.

Who´s concern about this? Republicans? Military Industrial Complex?

I expected better from the attacks, i guess twitter is right saying that this is just child´s play compared to what might happen if he wins Iowa and New Hampshire.

Oct 26, 2017
"Sanders's antiwar activism is well documented and has been raised as a concern during past elections".

Actual quote from the article. Unbelievable that antiwar activism can be seen as a concern.

I expected better from the attacks, i guess twitter is right saying that this is just child´s play compared to what might happen if he wins Iowa and New Hampshire.

This Free Beacon website has a Ronald Reagan quote on their "about us" page. I think that tells us all we need to know about them.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

www.politico.com

DNC members discuss rules change to stop Sanders at convention

The talks reveal rising anxiety over the Vermont senator's momentum on the eve of voting.

Already happening

Oct 25, 2017
www.politico.com

The talks reveal rising anxiety over the Vermont senator's momentum on the eve of voting.

Already happening
giphy.gif

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Organization with hundreds of people having a small group not in leadership talking about a rule change. Yes, very big news.
Why anyone in the party would be publicly talking and trying to get support to undermine a candidate (one that currently is boasting the most momentum in polling) is indeed news. Especially when the DNC just changed rules to allow Bloomberg into the debates no less.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The very fact that such a discussion is happening and got public tells you a lot about what might be going on behind the curtains!

This is a bombshell no matter how much people try to minimize it!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Shit, they got him this time!

What a dangerous, inflammatory comparison. You think it's fair to compare what happened in Vietnam with isolation of an ethnic group, chemical weapons, and genocide? Hold on *puts finger to ear* wait, really?

I imagine much of the reason why it wont find a lot of support is because it would immediately sink them and they know that.

I'm extremely glad it's going public. Seems to me there must be a few people in the party yet who actually like winning elections!

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why anyone in the party would be publicly talking and trying to get support to undermine a candidate (one that currently is boasting the most momentum in polling) is indeed news. Especially when the DNC just changed rules to allow Bloomberg into the debates no less.
They're not publicly talking about anything. By your metric, tabloid tier stories like this are DNC rigging:

"With all due respect Mr. Vice President, you should not be known as a gaffe machine," the treasurer of the DNC's Southern Caucus said. "If that's one of the things that you're going to run on, 'Oh, that's Uncle Joe AKA gaffe machine but he's a great guy,' that itself is a problem because there are 200 other candidates who are working just as hard as you, but they don't make gaffes like you do."
And that's public and leadership.

For the other point: Warren's camp was asking for that rules change, as well, and Bloomberg being 3rd-4th now kinda forces things.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
Name those "four people" in the DNC and have them go learn to code instead of having any influence whatsoever in the political process.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not publicly talking about anything. By your metric, tabloid tier stories like this are DNC rigging:

And that's public and leadership.

For the other point: Warren's camp was asking for that rules change, as well, and Bloomberg being 3rd-4th now kinda forces things.
I didn't call it DNC rigging tho. I specifically agreed with you that this is a small contingent within the party. I still think its ignominious that theyre suggesting this to the party and trying to find support for it, all the while talking to people who will tell the press about it. Also thats a really poor counter example. Someone chiding Biden is not the same as someone trying ti find support for systemic changes to the rules of an election to prevent a candidate from winning.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
www.politico.com

Already happening
Like I said in the now-locked thread, this was bait:

Conversations about a potential rules change picked up as Sanders ascended in the primary, but they have not gained traction to this point within the DNC.

Politico is better than it used to be before the hacks at Axios left to do that, but it's still not great at anything except eliciting this kind of reaction from people.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't call it DNC rigging tho. I specifically agreed with you that this is a small contingent within the party. I still think its ignominious that theyre suggesting this to the party and trying to find support for it, all the while talking to people who will tell the press about it.
Calling it a contingent is already blowing it out of proportion. They didn't even suggest the reason for it was to stop Bernie like the headline, but rather that the person who had the most delegates in the first round get the super delegates so that there's no second round that gets bent by the super delegates under current rules anyway.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Conspiracy time: the people floating the rule changes are Sanders supporters to energise his supporters before Iowa and New Hampshire

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like I said in the now-locked thread, this was bait:

Politico is better than it used to be before the hacks at Axios left to do that, but it's still not great at anything except eliciting this kind of reaction from people.
I don't think thats bait. I think even a small contingent pushing for rule changes to stop a candidate from winning is worth discussion.
Calling it a contingent is already blowing it out of proportion. They didn't even suggest the reason for it was to stop Bernie like the headline, but rather that the person who had the most delegates in the first round get the super delegates so that there's no second round that gets bent by the super delegates under current rules anyway.
I don't see any issue with the word contingent as I or the article used it. A small group of people within a larger organization. Thats an apt description.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think thats bait. I think even a small contingent pushing for rule changes to stop a candidate from winning is worth discussion.
It's not about the size, it's about the fact that they're apparently not influential enough to count as advancing the conversation in any meaningful way. Without actually identifying these guys at all, or demonstrating an effect from their actions, this could be a few aides gossiping around a water cooler and somebody sending it to Politico for brownie points. That makes it bait.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I think the idea that Klobuchar supporters are going to flip over to Biden in the places where she's not viable isn't going to be a huge thing. They'll go to Warren instead. Maybe some to Pete but I expect that Amy's late surge is 100% coming at the expense of Pete.

There's a non-zero part of the population that gets that Donald Trump is a defanged mess when running against a woman. A nice guy Senator isn't what you want against Trump's toxic mess of masculinity. Then he just looks like a bully. When he does it against a woman he just comes across as an ass and will remind everyone that if re-elected we will have to deal with four more years of that behavior.

And that's part of how you turn over the margins to win, by reminding everyone that there's another option besides four more years of tiring, exhausting garbage and continuous embarassment.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not about the size, it's about the fact that they're apparently not influential enough to count as advancing the conversation in any meaningful way. Without actually identifying these guys at all, or demonstrating an effect from their actions, this could be a few aides gossiping around a water cooler and somebody sending it to Politico for brownie points. That makes it bait.
But theyre trying to find people to become influential which is not insignificant. I imagine were not likely seeing the DNC standing around talking about preventing Warren from winning (big or small or influential). And the part youre describing as bait, is speculation on what it could be from you. Obviously the editors over at politico feel differently about the substance of the information they have received to push this to publish. Calling this bait because it likely wont have an impact or because we don't know the extent of these conversations is a bit too much for me. It just seems like dismissiveness for the sake of it based on your own interpretation of events. Note I didn't even claim this would amount to changes or that it was emblematic of the DNC rigging the election. I'm just pointing out that there are already people who will undoubtedly ramp up efforts to stop Bernie if he does well in the first few states, using this as an example of that.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But theyre trying to find people to become influential which is not insignificant. I imagine were not likely seeing the DNC standing around talking about preventing Warren from winning (big or small or influential). And the part youre describing as bait, is speculation on what it could be from you. Obviously the editors over at politico feel differently about the substance of the information they have received to push this to publish. Calling this bait because it likely wont have an impact or because we don't know the extent of these conversations is a bit too much for me. It just seems like dismissiveness for the sake of it based on your own interpretation of events. Note I didn't even claim this would amount to changes or that it was emblematic of the DNC rigging the election. I'm just pointing out that there are already people who will undoubtedly ramp up efforts to stop Bernie if he does well in the first few states, using this as an example of that.
I might have misspoke. The point is the uncertainty, bounded by the framing of the piece, coupled with the admission I quoted. Politico provides no serious sources and they themselves say that this conversation has no actual impact, but they present it as an issue. That's the bit that makes me think this is bait. The headline is inflammatory, to provoke exactly this reaction, and they bury the "but actually nothing has really happened about this" bit in one line of the text. The editors at politico sometimes push actual news, but a lot of the time they're just looking to play inside baseball for clicks and point-scoring inside the beltway. This feels more like the latter.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty interesting seeing who is running with the story and who sees it for what it is.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious what Politico is hoping to get from this story when you compare the explosive headline to the actual facts which is why they're probably thrilled to see people like Lee Fang jump all over it trying to claim that anyone who works at the DNC (regardless of role, importance, reach, etc.) is a de facto member of leadership within the Democratic Party.

The story itself even explicitly notes that it's extremely unlikely to even get discussed outside the group of "about a half dozen" people, but if you want to overreact to tabloid journalism, have at it.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not happening in a vacuum and without context of a perceived effort from many democratic-aligned actors to work against Sanders.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Disregarding the Staff Post with Regards to Metacommentary
I just love how this is apparently not a story worth considering because "it's just a bunch of randos within the DNC" but rando Bernie supporters being mean to people on twitter is a story worth of daily rehash.

Status
Not open for further replies.