• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha this is a total disaster. The result isn't that bad, though- Pete wins delegates and Bernie wins popular vote. Both walk away saying that they won. Biden in 4th.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Re: the votes vs delegate count, there's some logical explanations that nobody will want to hear. 😊

But the simplest one is that in precincts that Sanders is not viable, e.g., less than 15% in the first round, voters can choose to either leave (and stick with a Sanders vote) OR go oveer to another candidate. Sanders has a very loyal base that is not as likely to jump ship to another camp. If Sanders voters in precincts that Bernie was not viable in chose to leave and not pledge elsewhere (which is common), he still holds however many votes that is but picks up 0 delegates for it. Meanwhile candidates who have fewer "True believers," like a Biden or Buttigieg, would be more likely to lose all or most of their <15% precincts, as it's unlikely that those voters feel passionate enough about them to walk out, they'll probably switch over to another candidate. Think about yourself, if you're a Sanders supporter and the only viable candidates in your precinct are Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobochar, and Joe Biden, do you think you'd switch to their camps, or would you stay true to Sanders? Now vice-versa, there are some Buttigieg or Klobochar die hards, but..... comparatively... not many, so they'd likely switch to another camp and not leave their vote with an unviable candidate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. I have to run out but will update the post if I misunderstood it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
wow i guess bernie supporters will finally have some sympathy wrt winning the popular vote but losing in delegates....

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Biden going from 15 pre-alignment to 13 post-alignment is like... wow. The only one of the "top four" to go down. He must not even have hit the 15% threshold in a LOT of districts.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yup. On the other hand, if Bernie doesn't do that well with rural whites, what does that say about his chances in the general? Of course, this is one state.

True. The problem is that there isn't really one candidate with broad appeal among all demographics other than perhaps Warren - but coming in 2nd or 3rd in every primary isn't going to get you the nomination.

Sep 12, 2018
AridSameClam-size_restricted.gif

May 26, 2018
True. The problem is that there isn't really one candidate with broad appeal among all demographics other than perhaps Warren - but coming in 2nd or 3rd in every primary isn't going to get you the nomination.

Warren is high spread, but low volume.

Who wins the nomination is whoever has the largest built-in base regardless of spread.

And that's probably Biden.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie should have focused on killing the bullshit caucuses in 2016. How anybody could support this shit is beyond me. Now it's come back to bite him

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yang at 1%, should he be dropping out by now? Clearly there are at most 5 people who have a chance at this.

The person robbed here is Pete - he's being denied his moment and positive coverage of him making inroads into the Obama > Trump counties.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Why everyone upset about partial results? Don't we always get partial results in any election and then wait for it to be updated? Just with the mess from yesterday instead of starting at 0 we start at 62. And now we watch and wait for 38 percent to be tallied and reported like any election?

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm not one to wish doom on the world but I'm gonna laugh my ass off if the USA puts Pete up for president over Sanders, that's some next level self destructive decision making.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Haha this is a total disaster. The result isn't that bad, though- Pete wins delegates and Bernie wins popular vote. Both walk away saying that they won. Biden in 4th.

On top of this, their actual delegate counts aren't really all that much different. It's not like Pete blew Bernie out in delegates or like Bernie blew out Pete in votes. The best outcome from this is that Biden has officially had his shine of inevitability tarnished, which will hopefully trickle down to upcoming primaries.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why everyone upset about partial results? Don't we always get partial results in any election and then wait for it to be updated? Just with the mess from yesterday instead of starting at 0 we start at 62. And now we watch and wait for 38 percent to be tallied and reported like any election?
Yeah but it's kind of shitty if this is their only update today.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm a Bernie supporter. While I still think there's a good chance of Bernie overtaking Booty when the rest of the results roll in, the real hammer has already been dropped. Biden coming in fourth could be big. If he keeps taking hits like this and eventually has to take an early exit, then at least we'd be avoiding an unmitigated disaster of a candidate. There's a chance that Buttigieg could supplant Biden in his role as the centrist nominee, so I'd love for Iowa to be predictive in that sense. I still wouldn't like it and I think Buttigieg is a fucking chump, but I'd much sooner cast a vote for him (or almost anyone else in the center/left lane) than Biden.

First or second, Bernie still has the ball rolling. There are SO MANY other states where he'll absolutely roll Buttigieg. No need to fret here.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
It just adds to the already massive amount of confusion where some people are going to be watching the news and thinking these are the full results.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
The last I heard they have no firm timeline for the rest of the results

Status
Not open for further replies.