• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I was hoping Warren would endorse Bernie anyways, but I'm guessing she doesn't want to be the candidate that lost handily, then proceeded to endorse a candidate that performed poorly when the writing was on the table. "Bad instincts" isn't something she'll want to be accused of if she wants to have a voice in the future, which has already proven to be a problem with her (ancestry controversy, etc).

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we need four more years of Trump for Americans to finally pick a handsome chap like Bernie.
Sorry, unfortunately the loss will be solely at the feet of Will Menaker. Next time we'll have to run another centrist, perhaps Mitt Romney, but make it clear that Chapo is disavowed so things don't go badly.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Longer than that. I'd put her impact in forming the CFPB and financial regulatory reform up against anything Bernie has done.
She did some of the most detailed research on bankruptcy and literally wrote the book on the subject. She was advocating for middle and working class families in the 90's, and worked to ensure unions and workers got a fair shake in contract negotiations before that.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
As much as a Warren endorsement would fail to tip the scales for Bernie... it's also entirely useless for Biden. He doesn't need it. The notion that she is trying to get into Biden's good graces to influence his platform is silly when you consider the fact that she has no leverage on either side of this contest. At that point, why not just stand with your principles?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly i wouldn't be shocked if working behind the scenes to help out Bullock and pickup Collins seat. The white house is nice but a senate majority should always be the goal above all else

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This squabble over the Warren endorsement seems a bit useless. People really think it's going to move the needle enough?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing you can say about Warren is that her campaign was horribly misguided and incompetent if they cared about getting someone into the white house with progressive values. If you are more cynical, her actions make more sense.

It's honestly hard to figure it out though-- she launched her campaign by listening to Pod Jon's and doing a DNA test so it's not completely out of the question that her mistakes were earnest.

Oct 25, 2017
It's especially ironic because everyone criticizing her right now wanted her to shut up and step in line.
Nah I wanted her to go harder in on Biden like she did Bloomberg, but then she started spouting unity instead, and they still managed to dump her for Biden when she was playing by their rules.

So ultimately in the end she ended up pleasing neither side.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing you can say about Warren is that her campaign was horribly misguided and incompetent if they cared about getting someone into the white house with progressive values. If you are more cynical, her actions make more sense.

Maybe she saw that Bernie's campaign was a total replay of 2016 against a much more popular moderate and figured she might do better as a compromise candidate

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

Why do people think Bernie running 3rd party will help Trump?

The GOP party wants Biden to get the nomination to get help get Trump elected.

Thats literally the opposite of reality. You do recall Trump got impeached because of his actions to try and knobble Biden before the election? Do you not wonder why Trump keeps amplifying conspiracy theories and sore loser sympathies from Bernie to disrupt the party and reduce turnout from democrats?

Hint. If trump is supporting your candidate it's not because he's the strongest person and best places to beat him.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Biden putting a JP Morgan CEO as Treasury Secretary is indeed fulfilling his promise to "return to the Obama years". Obama had a Goldman Sachs CEO in the same position. In fact, Obama had 4 Goldman Sachs people on his team. So you can't really get mad at Joe for this.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she saw that Bernie's campaign was a total replay of 2016 against a much more popular moderate and figured she might do better as a compromise candidate
Yeah I agree. But it should have been obvious that strategy wasn't working by the time Super Tuesday game around. As soon as she started to implement that strategy she went from the front runner to third or fourth place and she never recovered. That's what I mean when I say it shows complete incompetence.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder what non-Chapo people think Chapo is like, its kind of fascinating
This is kinda how my thoughts run about them
odr6f7B.gif

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, after 8 years of adversity with our lovely buffoon George, we all voted for Obama. Change ain't part of the equation.
Heh.

I mean, I get what you're getting at, but hope and change slogan aside, Obama ran on reducing polarization and a return to bipartisanship. Not exactly a radical in presentation, or policy.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I agree. But it should have been obvious that strategy wasn't working by the time Super Tuesday game around. As soon as she started to implement that strategy she went from the front runner to third or fourth place and she never recovered. That's what I mean when I say it shows complete incompetence.

It's incredible that Warren's missteps are indicative of incompetence, while Bernie losing in the same manner as the last go-around is due to the actions of others.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Bernie has similar unfavorability as Clinton in 2016 but I'm suppose to believe he can beat Trump?
Honestly, I'm tempted to say even rerunning Clinton could beat Trump. Part of the reason she lost was because 1) no one took the prospect of Trump winning seriously and thus certain leftists/independents felt like they didn't need to vote for Clinton to keep Trump out of office, and 2) people grossly underestimated how bad Trump would be as president, there was plenty of "oh he'll take it seriously once he's in office," "he's just putting on a show for his base, he's really a centrist" etc. that I imagine even drove some of those voters to him. Neither of these factors exist with Trump as the incumbent, he's clearly demonstrated that he can win and how awful he is.

That being said, I obviously wouldn't want to chance it. I still respect Hillary but she's done on the national stage.

The whole thing with Bernie's approval ratings being terrible now speaks to something I theorized in 2016, that Bernie's better polling numbers against Trump were more a factor of him getting to be a hypothetical option for people rather than them confronting the idea of actually electing him. Bernie was looking like the frontrunner for a hot second there, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's contributing to a dent in his popularity. As much as I support his agenda, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a kneejerk reaction among the population to the kinds of tax increases he'd need to fund his programs, whether you want to blame that on the media, Republicans, "establishment Democrats," whatever (I think people are just kind of short-sighted in general? There are definitely bad faith actors who exploit that), and that was suddenly looking a lot more real to people.

Bernie would ironically be running as a lesser of two evils candidate against Trump, I just think regardless of who that is, it'd be more effective this time around than in 2016.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
IMO Warren's campaign managers are what did her in, along with her reluctance to push back on them (and of course, sexism). There was a clear decline in polls after she hired them as well as a change in the way she presented herself in debates and events. The Bloomberg evisceration debate was what she should've done the entire time. I thought the Politico article about her campaign was solid.

www.politico.com

‘Bailey’ vs. ‘blood and teeth’: The inside story of Elizabeth Warren’s collapse

Two dozen aides and allies let loose on what might have been.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sentiment that i seen too often in nondiverse liberal spaces. A frathouse vibe that make it seems like they do it mostly to talk shit and goof off tan actual caring about anything
That sounds like a more accurate description of something like Crooked Media. Chapo spent all of February traveling and canvassing to early states for example, they obviously care.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like a more accurate description of something like Crooked Media. Chapo spent all of February traveling and canvassing to early states for example, they obviously care.

You mean like all the podcasts they have done specifically on reaching out and engaging with different groups? The podcasts run by people of colour talking about issues for those groups? The long series on how democrats rengage with their lost voting base? The fact they constantly tour the country?

As opposed to a group of frat boys who made jokes about Warren getting cancer.

yeah, I know which I think is more committed to the cause.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It's sentiment that i seen too often in nondiverse liberal spaces. A frathouse vibe that make it seems like they do it mostly to talk shit and goof off tan actual caring about anything
I'm a casual Chapo listener but they spent the earlier part of the year canvassing and traveling in the early states, including (very cold) Iowa. Not sure which of them did it or for how long but they're just now back in NYC.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean like all the podcasts they have done specifically on reaching out and engaging with different groups? The podcasts run by people of colour talking about issues for those groups? The long series on how democrats rengage with their lost voting base? The fact they constantly tour the country?

Pod Save America is cynical frat boy central. It's like Collider but with former Obama staffers.

image.jpg

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017

Vote Save America by itself has likely done more to swing the country towards progressive policies than a thousand years of Chapo.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Crooked Media has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for progressive causes and candidates.

Chapo has done some canvassing and phone banking while on tour.

It's really not even in the same universe of positive impact.
Imagine listening to a political podcast other than Rev Left Radio
unimpressed.png
People really should check out Gaslit Nation.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Things might end unofficially tonight but Bernie isn't dropping until after the March debate.
I don't see much point in Bernie stretching things out longer than he needs to, but I think a one-on-one debate with Biden would be beneficial, even for Biden's sake. We need to see how Biden handles himself in a debate when there's not like 80 candidates on the stage with him and he's allowed to sink into the background while Pete and Klobuchar fight about staplers or whatever.

fwiw I think he's sharper than people give him credit for and would handle himself well, but you know, just gotta be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.