• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Yes it is, why would you lie like this?

Anyone who isn't for nationalized healthcare is an absolute ghoul, and defintiely don't feel bad when people die for lack of healthcare.

This isn't up for debate at this point.
I mean, people like Biden because he isn't promising to radically change health care, radical change scares them because as much as they want radical changes to healthcare they don't think you can beat Trump that way.

Dems and centrists are an anxious bunch post Trump.

Oct 27, 2017
Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line. I'm of the mindset that Sanders was always a losing proposition and what we are seeing with Biden would always play out as leader of the moderates. Elections are about time and place in the world. Where are we at as a country. What is our biggest goal? Removal of Trump. That's it, full stop. This is not to say Bernie and his platform are flawed but it isn't going to win a national nomination right now. Change is incremental throughout history and most people, myself included, are not trying to hear all of the pie in the sky stuff being said because it won't go over well with the masses. This election is about electability. Maybe in twenty years, with a slow escalation of policies that makes a platform like Bernie has more palatable for people to digest but you are asking people to count to ten by fives by voting for Bernie and by ones by voting for a moderate. One is a shock to the system, one is not. Most of these polls you see are a loud and vocal minority screaming about Bernie and does not represent the masses.

Even as an aside, have you ever wondered why every single gop person seems to be rooting for Bernie, why Russia wants Bernie to win the nomination?

Or even telling people to vote for Bernie in the primaries.

It's because Bernie has been (correctly) identified as a weak candidate and the Republicans are on their art of war shit. Trump hasn't been all over the world looking for dirt on Bernie like he did Biden. He's "cheering" for him in twitter. Big contrast.

Sometimes, the truth is going to end up revealing itself and smack you in the face. Instead of being mad that it smacked you, figure out why it's smacking you and move accordingly. This election is about electability. Biden is ridiculously flawed as a candidate and I'll hold my nose voting for him in November, knowing we have a chance. You won't get that same comfort with Bernie at the booth.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I haven't posted much this political cycle because it's been plain as day to me that unless your post is supporting Bernie, you're getting attacked. What you're seeing now is people who are maybe not Bernie supporters feeling empowered enough to post again.

I would've loved to see Warren get the nomination but it's clear her message/style isn't resonating with the electorate. Not sure why Bernie supporters can't come to the same conclusion if their preferred candidate doesn't win a plurality/majority of delegates.

A non-progressive presidency means that poor people will die. It means that poor people will stay poor. It means that the rich will stay rich.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but they don't.

If you took out CA Trump wins the popular vote by millions.

That's important. CA and NY should dictate very little.
Yes if you erase the most populous state in the country then the numbers would be different. Trump did not win by winning a majority of Americans, he won by getting a slim majority in the right geographic places.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I'll happily shame anyone who doesn't vote in the general, fuck em. I'm sad Bernie's not doing well too but that's not an excuse to be ok with handing over democracy to an authoritarian white nationalist.
You can happily to the shaming, of course, but it doesn't change to fact you need those voters at the polls in November and berating them at their most dispair filled time for venting isn't productive at all.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the more i think about it. Biden has a good shot at beating trump.

Bernie will back him. Cause he knows whats at stake.
Obama will back him.
The black vote will back him.
Old Democrats will back him.
Oprah will back him.
Bloomberg might even fund him.

And this.

He just has to find a way to deflect the whole hunter biden bullshit. And a way to not be creepy and boring.

If only he had one progressive bone in his body. Because i really would like the good lords green herb legalized.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you're telling me to read his site instead of simply just naming even 1 policy position speaks volumes

I already named 2. As I've said earlier in this thread, he's for ending cash bail, for taxing carbon emissions, for paying farmers to better climate practices, for bringing drug prices down to their overseas costs, for reinstituting DACA, etc. Seriosuly if you're too lazy to look up a candidate's positions or even check the posts I've already made about it then I don't know what to tell you.

Oct 25, 2017
Progressives going all doom and gloom really need to take a step back and consider that maybe putting the entire movement's relevancy and survival onto the success of one or two people is not a reliable way to deliver long-lasting change? Obama's presidency showed us the dangers of getting too wrapped up in the celebrity of one individual at the expense of the collective group. The problem is Americans always look for top-down quick-fixes that don't require them to do the hard work; the kind that has to come from individual effort in their local communities building from the ground-up. The idea that we would elect President Sanders/Warren and everything is somehow going to start changing for the better is absurd. We should be focused on trying to deliver a House and Senate full of Sanders/Warren types who could force a president of either party to enact progressive agendas.

But you see people getting practically suicidal and saying "Well we couldn't get Warren/Sanders so it's hopeless, we're all gonna die". Did we even try electing a wave of people like them to local or state offices, let alone federal congress? It requires nothing of you and asks nothing from you to support a candidate for Presidency. Maybe we need less people posting Warren/Sanders/AOC memes and more people being inspired to become their local versions and running for public office and supporting those that do. The progressive movement's so-called failure tonight isn't the candidates, it's the celebrity structure we force them into that reductively turns everything into a binary all-or-nothing. If the movement is going to die it's because we only ever cared enough to post about it.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With Biden as nominee it's basically a race between Trump and Not-Trump. Biden will be the "lesser of two evils" option. Whereas Bernie could actually mobilizing new and disenfranchised voters.

big fucking sigh, America is the worst
The new voters are voting for Biden right now.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Yep. By the time young people figure this out and start voting, they aren't young anymore.
Reminder that the Boomers brought us the Civil Rights Movement, the Feminist Movement, the Antiwar movement... and Donald J. Trump as president. You get old, you turn into a jaded, cynical, selfish asshole. It's a story as old as time itself.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line. I'm of the mindset that Sanders was always a losing proposition and what we are seeing with Biden would always play out as leader of the moderates. Elections are about time and place in the world. Where are we at as a country. What is our biggest goal? Removal of Trump. That's it, full stop. This is not to say Bernie and his platform are flawed but it isn't going to win a national nomination right now. Change is incremental throughout history and most people, myself included, are not trying to hear all of the pie in the sky stuff being said because it won't go over well with the masses. This election is about electability. Maybe in twenty years, with a slow escalation of policies that makes a platform like Bernie has more palatable for people to digest but you are asking people to count to ten by fives by voting for Bernie and by ones by voting for a moderate. One is a shock to the system, one is not. Most of these polls you see are a loud and vocal minority screaming about Bernie and does not represent the masses.

Even as an aside, have you ever wondered why every single gop person seems to be rooting for Bernie, why Russia wants Bernie to win the nomination?

It's because Bernie has been (correctly) identified as a weak candidate and the Republicans are on their art of war shit. Trump hasn't been all over the world looking for dirt on Bernie like he did Biden. He's "cheering" for him in twitter. Big contrast.

Sometimes, the truth is going to end up revealing itself and smack you in the face. Instead of being mad that it smacked you, figure out why it's smacking you and move accordingly. This election is about electability. Biden is ridiculously flawed as a candidate and I'll hold my nose voting for him in November, knowing we have a chance. You won't get that same comfort with Bernie at the booth.

Dems also thought Trump would be a cake walk.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Ever since the results started trickling out with Biden leading, theres' a disturbing amount of people celebrating and going "I told you so" about Sanders.

To everyone like this, fuck that noise. You shouldn't be happy about Biden when that means that US is going to continue killing people due to no true M4A. You shouldn't be happy about the candidate with the worst climate plan getting a nom. YOU, as a centrist, may be ok with bullshit half-measures and the status quo from 2008. Most people trying to actually build a better world aren't.

STFU centrists
Can't speak for centrists in general (and I don't ascribe to that label myself), but I think a large part of the reaction is the sincere belief that choosing Bernie essentially loses us the presidency and negatively impacts so many down-ballot races. I'm sure for many it's not that they want less progress - it's that they see how much easier of a win it would be for Trump if Sanders is nominated. Of course, people can disagree with that and we'll see what happens, but it doesn't just have to be a STFU to centrists.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but they don't.

If you took out CA Trump wins the popular vote by millions.

That's important. CA and NY should dictate very little.

Explain to me why some Americans should not count? Scratch that, explain to me why some Americans should count more.

Explain to me why a system that, 20 years ago, ignored the will of the people and gave us Bush Jr. and his wars.

Explain to me why a system that, 4 years ago, ingored the will of the people and gave us corrupt sack of shit, donald trump.

Explain to me why this country should have minority rule, and why Bush Jr. and Trump were good things that saved us from "mob rule"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With Biden as nominee it's basically a race between Trump and Not-Trump. Biden will be the "lesser of two evils" option. Whereas Bernie could actually mobilizing new and disenfranchised voters.

big fucking sigh, America is the worst

Bernie ISN'T mobilizing new untapped reserves of voters, though - that's why he's losing. You need to build a coalition and he clearly seems to be lacking in that regard.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Warren has fucked things up so bad...not only is she only going to be 3rd in her own damn state (MA), it may now give Biden the win there! smfh

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Can't speak for centrists in general (and I don't ascribe to that label myself), but I think a large part of the reaction is the sincere belief that choosing Bernie essentially loses us the presidency and negatively impacts so many down-ballot races. I'm sure for many it's not that they want less progress - it's that they see how much easier of a win it would be for Trump if Sanders is nominated. Of course, people can disagree with that and we'll see what happens, but it doesn't just have to be a STFU to centrists.
It's similar but in reverse with Biden too. The same argument can go both ways.

May 26, 2018
We can still acknowledge that the status quo is a negative while simultaneously acknowledging that scorched earth is worse.

This isn't a zerosum game.

Zerosum games are really the most volatile environments that can exist. Spirals of backstabbing.

Pretty sure Trump and others targeted Sanders this way to help sow division amongst voters, pull some away come GE.

Status
Not open for further replies.